Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Anton and Brock Playing in All-Star Game Tonight

Quote Originally Posted by Spink View Post
    seemed out of shape...or just enjoying himself
    He just returned from a trip to Hawaii with a bunch of classmates. (Instagram)
    "I'm telling you Tillie knows how to play." - Mark Few

I’ve seen Anton play since 8th grade. This board and Zag fans are going to need to prepare for his personality on the court. He is calm and poised. If you want physical expressions of extreme effort (ie, diving off the court etc) then you will be disappointed. Anton understands the game, exerts when it is necessary and effective, and does not exhibit emotion when it is not genuine. He has a smart, efficient, mature game and he will be a great Zag.

Anton will be a first round pick sooner than later.. you can tell how skilled he is. Needs to not take plays off though..although could be just because its an all star game.

Ravet will be a very good backup for GU for his career here-- something GU hasn't had in awhile. Cant imagine him beating out a suggs type or a Gilder or Ingram for PG duties. A bit of a chucker for a pg and some sloppy turnovers. I watched him in warm ups and his shot was pretty inconsistent even in warm ups.

And Heister and the gang sound like Marv Albert and Hubie brown compared to those jokers on the mic.

Quote Originally Posted by Birddog View Post
    Was that Wazmix schlepping that camera gear around the court?
    YEP !!!! Waz-SchlepRock was there !!!!!! (I don't always bring out the 300mm for hoops, but I thought I'd get some good dunks down the far end.)

(I started a separate thread with the Watson/Ravet pics, but here's the link again........)

LINK ON FLICKR : Watson/Ravet Subset

Have seen Watson play several times via video and he seems lackadaisical. Anyone else think Ravet looked a bit hobbled?

Quote Originally Posted by billbow47 View Post
    Have seen Watson play several times via video and he seems lackadaisical. Anyone else think Ravet looked a bit hobbled?
    I noticed that also. He seemed to have sore feet when walking. Did he play with long socks throughout his regular high school season?

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by billbow47 View Post
    Ravet looked a little gimpy.

Watson will have to get a lot tougher (stronger) on rebounding and work under the iron. He was blocked several times. He's a good passer though.
    Birddog

Twas brillig, and the slithy toves
    Did gyre and gimble in the wabe:
    All mimsy were the borogoves,
    And the mome raths outgrabe.

Lackadasical, gimpy, hobbled? Not very encouraging.

Quote Originally Posted by Stache View Post
    I’ve seen Anton play since 8th grade. This board and Zag fans are going to need to prepare for his personality on the court. He is calm and poised. If you want physical expressions of extreme effort (ie, diving off the court etc) then you will be disappointed. Anton understands the game, exerts when it is necessary and effective, and does not exhibit emotion when it is not genuine. He has a smart, efficient, mature game and he will be a great Zag.
    Jeremy jones esq
    Basketball...The Toy Department of Life

Don't mess wth happy...Coach Few

I missed the first several minutes of the game but I was actually impressed/pleased with Brock’s ability to handle the ball and distribute. Add in his obvious ability to score and it seems like there is quite a bit to work with in terms of having a role.

Quote Originally Posted by jazzdelmar View Post
    Lackadasical, gimpy, hobbled? Not very encouraging.
    "Lackadasical" in reference to Anton I think has to be taken in context. This was an all star game.. and while he may have a "laid back" demeanor, my guess is that once he gets to college and realizes that sometimes just going through the motions may not be to his best interest as he can not get away with it as much, there will be less episodes.

The main thing i took away from him is 1) he can absolutely play the 3.. good handle, great athleticism, very nice looking stroke. We are focusing on his demeanor, but skill wise he is a future NBA guy, and i don't think it will take him more than 3 years at most (maybe sooner). One drive he made, he crossed a guy at the top of the key, took one dribble and stuffed it. Kid has game. I am excited to see what he can do. First time seeing him.

Quote Originally Posted by zagsfanforlife View Post
    Anton will be a first round pick sooner than later.. you can tell how skilled he is. Needs to not take plays off though..although could be just because its an all star game.

Ravet will be a very good backup for GU for his career here-- something GU hasn't had in awhile. Cant imagine him beating out a suggs type or a Gilder or Ingram for PG duties. A bit of a chucker for a pg and some sloppy turnovers. I watched him in warm ups and his shot was pretty inconsistent even in warm ups.

And Heister and the gang sound like Marv Albert and Hubie brown compared to those jokers on the mic.
    You just named 3 players (Suggs, Ingram, Gilder) who have at least 7 different schools they are considering, some even more.

Ravet could be our only choice going forward.

That is a realistic outcome

My exposure to Watson has been limited, but I agree with stache. Watson is very reserved and conservative in all aspects of his game and demeanor. He isn't a pedal to the metal, run wide open, seat of the pants kind of player. Yet. I expect to see that change somewhat after he puts on a Zag uniform, continues to mature, grows more confident, and slowly emerges from his shell.

I keep going back and forth between thinking that Ravet's lack of foot speed and athleticism will seriously hamper him at the next level, and thinking that his skill-set is so special that he can overcome it. At this point, I can't imagine him matching up with some of the high level athletic guards that we will have on the schedule. Makes me think that Ayayi has got to be above him in the rotation next year, simply for defensive purposes. Ravet has got his work cut out for him to improve on some of those weak areas, and I suspect he's up for the challenge.

"MINE".........

Link : SET

Quote Originally Posted by Goshzagit View Post
    You just named 3 players (Suggs, Ingram, Gilder) who have at least 7 different schools they are considering, some even more.

Ravet could be our only choice going forward.

That is a realistic outcome
    I dont see Ravet starting at all next season. My opinion. Just cant imagine it.

Quote Originally Posted by zagsfanforlife View Post
    I dont see Ravet starting at all next season. My opinion. Just cant imagine it.
    If he doesn’t start, I’d hope for him that he could have a year like David Stockton had— when he played his way onto the floor and he got more and more minutes as the year went on.

Anyone remember the remarkable transformations of Sacre, Olynyk, and Pargo? You could even throw Perkins into that discussion as well.

I know that Duke/UK get more than their fair share of "plug n play/one year" guys, but you will also see accounts of their respective fans wishing for a healthy mix of 3-4 year players as well.

When it comes to player development, no one has done more with less than Mark Few. One could argue that Chuck Beard and Tony Bennett have only recently entered the scene as masters of player development. Izzo and Jay Wright have a similar track record over a longer period of time.

I suggest we wait for the finished products and understand that GU will typically encounter a single one year player (non transfer) in 2-3 year intervals. It is unfair to judge every recruit as if he was equivalent to a "one and done" player. It takes time for them to develop and that is part of the fun being a fan. Watching them grow. If they don't, they become the next Manny Arop or Grant Gibbs, and GU didn't skip a beat filling their shoes.
    I miss Mike Hart

Anton was the high rebounder and was outstanding in the first half. I’d say that’s pretty good for an all star game. As for the second half mistakes, I felt like something else was going on with him, but I don’t care to jump to conclusions.
    "I'm telling you Tillie knows how to play." - Mark Few

Quote Originally Posted by MickMick View Post
    One could argue that Chuck Beard and Tony Bennett have only recently entered the scene as masters of player development.
    Only recently for Bennett? I strongly disagree. He's been doing it the entire time he's been a head coach. Look at what he did at Washington St. with a core group that weren't NBA level players (Baynes has been a journeyman and Weaver was in the League a few years, but the rest nada; he did have Klay but that was only 1 year before he left). And he's been going toe to toe w/ Duke and Carolina at Virginia w/ only a fraction of the talent either of those schools have. To me he's always been one of the best developers of talent and it's not debatable at all.

No doubt Sea. TB’s the best w Jay and Few right behind.....Jay’s a superior in game coach however ....and gets slightly better kids.

Quote Originally Posted by seacatfan View Post
    Only recently for Bennett? I strongly disagree. He's been doing it the entire time he's been a head coach. Look at what he did at Washington St. with a core group that weren't NBA level players (Baynes has been a journeyman and Weaver was in the League a few years, but the rest nada; he did have Klay but that was only 1 year before he left). And he's been going toe to toe w/ Duke and Carolina at Virginia w/ only a fraction of the talent either of those schools have. To me he's always been one of the best developers of talent and it's not debatable at all.

Jazz, SEA, CDC, or anyone else familiar with these guys:

Are coaches such as Bennett and Wright and Few "developing" their non-elite talent into elite college and pro guys who go on to outplay their expectations coming into the program?

Or are they designing/coaching/creating elite teams and annual team performance from their guys, who move on from the university and "revert"?

(either one of those is obviously a tremendous coaching accomplishment, but I think the first one is more about a permanent type of player development that would carry on to professional career - the 2nd one is more about making a whole which is greater than the sum of its parts. Like an inverse Duke...)

Quote Originally Posted by LTownZag View Post
    Jazz, SEA, CDC, or anyone else familiar with these guys:

Are coaches such as Bennett and Wright and Few "developing" their non-elite talent into elite college and pro guys who go on to outplay their expectations coming into the program?

Or are they designing/coaching/creating elite teams and annual team performance from their guys, who move on from the university and "revert"?

(either one of those is obviously a tremendous coaching accomplishment, but I think the first one is more about a permanent type of player development that would carry on to professional career - the 2nd one is more about making a whole which is greater than the sum of its parts. Like an inverse Duke...)
    At the risk of taking the easy way out, some of both probably?

Being a really good to great college player does not necessarily indicate anything about a player's future NBA potential. There was a conventional wisdom that you needed to have at least 2 future NBA guys to win a college National Championship. I think that's gone out the window a bit in recent years. Wright's second Championship team had a number of guys go pro (haven't followed how they've done) but the key players on his first Championship team were largely good college players but not NBA caliber (a few players were on both teams). I'm not sure how many of Virginia's players are NBA bound. Seems like they've turned out about 1 every year or 2 on average during Bennett's tenure.

Anyway, the named coaches routinely get guys to play above their rankings in college. That's probably a tribute both to development and a keen eye in recruiting. Some of those overachievers may take it all the way to NBA, but others don't.

Quote Originally Posted by Worthington View Post
    I keep going back and forth between thinking that Ravet's lack of foot speed and athleticism will seriously hamper him at the next level, and thinking that his skill-set is so special that he can overcome it. At this point, I can't imagine him matching up with some of the high level athletic guards that we will have on the schedule. Makes me think that Ayayi has got to be above him in the rotation next year, simply for defensive purposes. Ravet has got his work cut out for him to improve on some of those weak areas, and I suspect he's up for the challenge.
    I've said it before, but this post suggests it bears repeating. When Dickau came out of hs, he said that he was advised more than once that he should play at the mid major level due to his lack of athleticism/size. I saw him play his entire fr year at UW, every home game in person, and Ravet is very similar at the same age imo.