Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Potential Non-Grad Transfer Post

I look at how ESPN and stadium both had him as the second best sit out transfer, ahead of former 5 stars Quinerly and Brown. If he could become immediately eligible, which I hear is a possibility, that would be huge as it looks like Norvell may be gone.

Quote Originally Posted by jazzdelmar View Post
    Three star in hs. Pass.
    Adam Morrison, Dan Dickau, to name two. Players do improve after high school. Steph Curry, Davidson. Damian Lillard, Weber State. Steve Nash, Santa Clara. But you know all that.

Quote Originally Posted by maynard g krebs View Post
    Adam Morrison, Dan Dickau, to name two. Players do improve after high school. Steph Curry, Davidson. Damian Lillard, Weber State. Steve Nash, Santa Clara. But you know all that.
    Exactly
    21 Straight Big Dances

11 Straight Round of 32s

10 Sweet Sixteens (5 Straight)

4 Elite Eights

2017 FINAL FOUR

2 Winningest Players in college basketball history (Karnowski 137, Perkins 134)

The Best Point Guard to ever play the game: John Stockton, most assists, most steals.

Quote Originally Posted by maynard g krebs View Post
    I do Maynard. You’re right. But those guys are cherry picked outliers....and you know it.

Quote Originally Posted by soccerdud View Post
    it's less that and more just that dismissing this kid like that is lazy and unenlightening. sometimes jazz has points -- i like those posts. but the curmudgeonly "i know all i need to about this and <insert facile comparison and dismissal>" are kinda grating. tell me, jazz... got anything beyond 3-star small college scoring guard -- and one of those recently broke your heart -- to support your position? cause that seems pretty weak.
    6-2 guard who averages 1.6 assists per game ans 1.7 turnovers a game . Also provides no rebounding help for our big guys and is lacking on the defensive end. Also may not even be eligible this year.
    Not sure why all the hype.
    Yes he can shoot but what else?

Quote Originally Posted by doctorzag View Post
    6-2 guard who averages 1.6 assists per game ans 1.7 turnovers a game . Also provides no rebounding help for our big guys and is lacking on the defensive end. Also may not even be eligible this year.
    Not sure why all the hype.
    Yes he can shoot but what else?
    i honestly don't know-- but would you pass on him based on that? we'll need a scoring guard (much moreso if norvell stays in the draft) and between our interest, the stats available, and the transfer rankings, it seems like he could be a contributor -- especially given the other guard options we know about. i am absolutely not anointing him or anything like that. no one is claiming he's our answer at PG (or even viable there). i was just pointing out that jazz's argument to "pass" on him was weakly supported and based more on his emotions about crandall than actual knowledge about jenkins.

We need someone this year. He seems like a solid player, we have some studs coming next year and I believe can find a grad transfer that would better fit our needs. Definitely intriguing, I would be sold if he was eligible now.
    America's Team!

Jenkins can score (at least at the Summit League level), but nothing else about his stats jump out at me. The video that I've watched show an undersized shooting guard with a quick trigger. Don't see how pursuing him is in line with our current recruiting standard and philosophy. Just my honest assessment.

Another grad transfer that I am really excited about (but haven't seen confirmation that we've reached out) is Lindsey Drew. Sat out last season with an injury, but averaged 8 points 4 rebounds 4 assists 1 block and 1 steal in 2017-18, and was an Mountain West All-Defense selection. Have to think that the staff is on him.

As of today sounding like our top targets are Cam Mack, David Jenkins, and Admon Gilder. Names put in order of most likely to sign with us.

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by caldwellzag View Post
    As of today sounding like our top targets are Cam Mack, David Jenkins, and Admon Gilder. Names put in order of most likely to sign with us.
    Caldwell, if you're able to tell, how'd you rate our chances for each? (Good, Medium, Poor)

:]
    Yeah, we're "The Champs," uh-huh!

3 things about Jenkins compared to Geno.

1. He is ranked by every analyst, including Jeff Goodman as the 2nd best "sit out" transfer this year. Geno wasn't even considered in the Top-10 of available transfers until he was one of the last available on the market.

2. Has nearly 40 lbs on Geno at the same height. Stronger, more dynamic, can use his body more, yet not nearly the defender Geno is/was.

3. Had a better efficiency and makes from 3pt line, and attempts some tough, defended shots to boot. Most of Geno's looks had to be wide open, or were wide open.

David Jenkins made 196 3pt shots in 2 yrs, Geno made 128 3pt shots in 4 yrs. Jenkins career 45% 3pt, Geno 36%. 10% in bball is statistically significant -- huge difference.

Quote Originally Posted by Kiddwell View Post
    Caldwell, if you're able to tell, how'd you rate our chances for each? (Good, Medium, Poor)

:]
    Mack - Medium, Jenkins - Medium, Gilder - so-so

Quote Originally Posted by raise the zag View Post
    3 things about Jenkins compared to Geno.

1. He is ranked by every analyst, including Jeff Goodman as the 2nd best "sit out" transfer this year. Geno wasn't even considered in the Top-10 of available transfers until he was one of the last available on the market.

2. Has nearly 40 lbs on Geno at the same height. Stronger, more dynamic, can use his body more, yet not nearly the defender Geno is/was.

3. Had a better efficiency and makes from 3pt line, and attempts some tough, defended shots. Most of Geno's looks had to be wide open, or were wide open.

David Jenkins made 196 3pt shots in 2 yrs, Geno made 128 3pt shots in 4 yrs. Jenkins career 45% 3pt, Geno 36%. 10% in bball is statistically significant -- huge difference.
    They are different players all around, only thing in common is they both went to a school with Dakota in it's name.

They are different players all around, only thing in common is they both went to a school with Dakota in it's name.
    Could be a sniper off the bench, who can mix it up or be aggressive with his compact, strong body when he adds that element to his game. Exactly what we needed and we missing vs Tech down the stretch, imho.

Quote Originally Posted by raise the zag View Post
    Could be a sniper off the bench, who can mix it up or be aggressive with his compact, strong body when he adds that element to his game. Exactly what we needed and we missing vs Tech down the stretch, imho.
    I agree with you on Jenkins. He will be on campus this weekend, let's hope he doesn't leave.

Cam Mack signed with Nebraska and Fred Hoiberg yesterday.

Quote Originally Posted by Hooray4Daye&Gray View Post
    Well crap. I was out of town all weekend and heard on Friday that he was our top target. Sorry about that and me not doing my research this morning.

Well crap. I was out of town all weekend and heard on Friday that he was our top target. Sorry about that and me not doing my research this morning.
    We're so disappointed in you for having a life and not spending every waking moment of your day trying to keep us up on Zag recruiting.
    I will thank God for the day and the moment I have. - Jimmy V

Quote Originally Posted by webspinnre View Post
    We're so disappointed in you for having a life and not spending every waking moment of your day trying to keep us up on Zag recruiting.
    Lol well I should have at least googled Cam this morning, it's pretty clear he committed to Nebraska.

Quote Originally Posted by jazzdelmar View Post
    I do Maynard. You’re right. But those guys are cherry picked outliers....and you know it.
    You're right, of course. And I did think Geno would do more than he did; hard to say how much of it was injury. I'm just sayin' you can reevaluate a transfer a couple-three yrs later and the 3 star ranking might not mean anything then. Clarke was another lowish three star out of hs; I looked him up when he was being recruited as a trans and he was something like the #51 pf on Rivals, I think it was.

I know nothing about Jenkins, though, except that the numbers say he can put the ball through the hoop.

Quote Originally Posted by Hooray4Daye&Gray View Post
    Nebraska?!

Hey, if they round up some more guys maybe they can form a basketball team!

Quote Originally Posted by JAGzag View Post
    Nebraska?!
    It is Fred Hoiberg though. He landed quite a few transfers at Iowa State and his teams seemed to do very well with all the transfers from juco or other D1 programs

Man, high end program and an immediate need for the PG position you would think we would have some guys lining up for this opportunity.
    America's Team!

Quote Originally Posted by HenneZag View Post
    Man, high end program and an immediate need for the PG position you would think we would have some guys lining up for this opportunity.
    times have changed...zags reputation now is their work with bigs. if you are a guard looking to showcase your game for the next level, gonzaga probably isn't your number one destination.