Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Potential Non-Grad Transfer Post

Default Potential Non-Grad Transfer Post

I haven't been able to find a potential non-grad transfer thread in the Whelping Box, and so I thought I would start one. Mods are requested to change the title of this post from "Post" to "Thread," and are encouraged to move other potential non-grad transfer posts here to consolidate them.

RayQuan Evans
    Evans is a sophomore at North Idaho College, where (this past year?) he "averaged 18.2 points per game and was second in the league with 79 steals and 162 assists. He also averaged 7.4 rebounds per game, and was named the East Region MVP in helping the Cardinals (31-2) to a region title and their second straight NWAC championship." He has just been "named the Northwest Athletic Conference male basketball athlete of the year."

"Evans is considering several options for next season, including offers from Florida State, Gonzaga and Washington State."

https://billingsgazette.com/sports/c...9b9ef3c89.html

Any thoughts?
    Last edited by SLOZag; 04-11-2019 at 09:46 PM. Reason: Old brain cells work slowly.
    SLOZag
    "Kids come here to better their own lives, not ours. If you take a player’s failures as a personal affront…. check yourself." - Chick-Stratino'sUrDaddy

Quote Originally Posted by SLOZag View Post
    I haven't been able to find a potential non-grad transfer post in the Whelping Box, and so I though I would start one. Mods are encouraged to move other potential non-grad transfer posts here to consolidate them.

RayQuan Evans
    Evans is a sophomore at North Idaho College, where (this past year?) he "averaged 18.2 points per game and was second in the league with 79 steals and 162 assists. He also averaged 7.4 rebounds per game, and was named the East Region MVP in helping the Cardinals (31-2) to a region title and their second straight NWAC championship." He has just been "named the Northwest Athletic Conference male basketball athlete of the year."

"Evans is considering several options for next season, including offers from Florida State, Gonzaga and Washington State."

https://billingsgazette.com/sports/c...9b9ef3c89.html

Any thoughts?
    Thanks for starting this thread. People were throwing all potential transfers into the grad transfer thread, and they are different.

Definitely under the radar, but at 6'4" big enough to do some work. The 162 assists from the SG position is really good too. I don't think they played 30 games, so it would be more than 5/game.

Before we bash a JUCO, wasn't Batista a JUCO? and McClellan? just from memory.
    Hoping you have a sense of humor too!

Quote Originally Posted by willandi View Post
    Thanks for starting this thread. People were throwing all potential transfers into the grad transfer thread, and they are different.

Definitely under the radar, but at 6'4" big enough to do some work. The 162 assists from the SG position is really good too. I don't think they played 30 games, so it would be more than 5/game.

they played 33 games. their record is in the post you quoted.

Quote Originally Posted by soccerdud View Post
    they played 33 games. their record is in the post you quoted.
    Didn't read it close enough then. Sorry.

So 4.9 assist/game for a SG. Good number.

Jordan Brown/Nevada has entered the portal. Zags were after him while he was in HS IIRC.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=...Wv9Zw1SbaVKR4K

Quentin Hall came to GU from NIC. Damn good player.

Batista was McClellan not so sure think he was a transfer from a 4yr school...might you be thinking of Carter?

McClellan was at Vanderbilt briefly before coming to GU. I believe he was dismissed midway through the year there. Prior to that I believe he had played at Tulsa.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Bogozags View Post
    Batista was McClellan not so sure think he was a transfer from a 4yr school...might you be thinking of Carter?
    Could be right. There was at least one other...and Quentin as well.

Could be right. There was at least one other...and Quentin as well.
    Marquise Carter was a JUCO I believe.

Quote Originally Posted by seacatfan View Post
    Jordan Brown/Nevada has entered the portal. Zags were after him while he was in HS IIRC.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=...Wv9Zw1SbaVKR4K
    Spokane would be a great place with the right environment for Jordan to recapture his mojo. His dad sounds like a pretty solid guy, and I'm sure he's aware of the Zags' success in developing big men for the next level.

Quote Originally Posted by TexasZagFan View Post
    Spokane would be a great place with the right environment for Jordan to recapture his mojo. His dad sounds like a pretty solid guy, and I'm sure he's aware of the Zags' success in developing big men for the next level.
    Don’t think we need another big.

Quote Originally Posted by TexasZagFan View Post
    I don't see how we can spare a scholarship for a season when a PG next year is the most pressing need.

Plus with the stable of bigs we have moving forward, he would have no assurance of playing time.

I doubt we're on him this go around.

The JUCO recruit used to be more common with the program, but perhaps the combo of new grad transfer rules, and the growth of the program we've seen less over the last few years. Off the top of my head:

Batista
    Q Hall
    Anthony Reason
    Carter
    Alex Hernandez
    Wintson Brooks
    Tony Skinner

I think Germayne Forbes, Anthony Reason, Alex Hernandez, Abdulahai Kuso and Tony Skinner were all JUCO's too.
    Birddog

Twas brillig, and the slithy toves
    Did gyre and gimble in the wabe:
    All mimsy were the borogoves,
    And the mome raths outgrabe.

Quote Originally Posted by Birddog View Post
    I think Germayne Forbes, Anthony Reason, Alex Hernandez, Abdulahai Kuso and Tony Skinner were all JUCO's too.
    Forbes came as a freshman from the UK, but yes on the others. Hall and Winston Brooks were both from North Idaho College too.

Quote Originally Posted by PCZ_Frites View Post
    Forbes came as a freshman from the UK, but yes on the others. Hall and Winston Brooks were both from North Idaho College too.
    Well I got some of them correct.
    Birddog

My favorite player, Felix McGowan, was a star at NIC prior to transferring to Gonzaga.

Quote Originally Posted by former1dog View Post
    My favorite player, Felix McGowan, was a star at NIC prior to transferring to Gonzaga.
    He's your homey, right?
    'I found it is the small everyday deeds of ordinary folk that keep the darkness at bay… small acts of kindness and love.'
    - Gandalf the Grey

Foo Time

Quote Originally Posted by kitzbuel View Post
    He's your homey, right?
    We grew up together in Poplar.

Dan O'Brien and I used to go watch him play at NIC all the time. Went to more NIC games than Gonzaga games

The JUCO recruit used to be more common with the program, but perhaps the combo of new grad transfer rules, and the growth of the program we've seen less over the last few years. Off the top of my head:

Batista
    Q Hall
    Anthony Reason
    Carter
    Alex Hernandez
    Wintson Brooks
    Tony Skinner
    Guy Landri-Edi also?

I think Q got dismissed from NIC & wound up over at Yakima Valley CC with Leon Rice.
    We didn't want the guy anyway.

Bakari Hendrix: One year @ CC in Bay area, 3 yrs. a GU, 2 X 1ST TEAM, Sr. year WCC POY ('98).

John Rillie transferred from Tacoma CC & shot the Zags into their 1st NCAA Tourney in '95. 2 x Honorable Mention WCC

Mamery Diallo
    Kyle Dixon - 1st team WCC '95 & '96
    Jeremy Eaton - 1st team WCC '99
    Doug Griffin
    Abdullahi Kuso
    Mike Leasure
    Lorenzo Rollins - 1ST team WCC '97
    We didn't want the guy anyway.

Ira Brown too IIRC.
    Birddog

Quote Originally Posted by Birddog View Post
    Well I got some of them correct.
    You did good!

Forbes didn't last more than two years, so I guess we were a JC of sorts to him. I'm sure we are missing more.