Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Are we in the market for a transfer (5th Year or otherwise)?

Default Are we in the market for a transfer (5th Year or otherwise)?

Just a handful of questions here, hoping for responses from more knowledgeable board members:

1. It looks like we have some additional scholarships to give. Are we in the market for one or more transfers this summer (5th Year or otherwise)?
    2. At which positions are we thinnest?
    3. Are there any potential transfers for this summer who have reached out to us?
    4. Are there any potential transfers for this summer who we hope will reach out to us?
    5. Are any members of our current team likely transfers?
    6. Has anyone heard any names mentioned that might fit into an answer to questions 3, 4, or 5 above?

Go Zags!
    SLOZag
    "Kids come here to better their own lives, not ours. If you take a player’s failures as a personal affront…. check yourself." - Chick-Stratino'sUrDaddy

I have no inside info.....

imo, if we are to believe our coaches, we'll be okay at pg...we have an expierenced Jess.....we have apparently two sisters coming in one with great pg skills, the other with great shooting ability....

it would be great to have one really big girl but I'm in the minority on that.....even in the WCC, teams are getting large girls with girth and we have to get in that direction..I'm meaning 6'6 or larger....

as far as transfers, I hope CLF has been straight wit LF.....she better not have been stringing her long....she should get lots of minutes this year, and keeping with CLF's history, be a starter next year.....

there is a "portal" not open to we mere fans that players put their names into if they want to transfer.....its always worth a look....

We should always be open to a very good PG... either recruit or transfer. I enjoyed having three point guards on the floor at the same time. Whoever grabbed the ball leads the charge. As for height at PG... look at CS, a quick move to the elbow and a shot.

When looking for a new player, GU has a certain type of student athlete they look for. And I think they do a pretty good job of recruiting who and what they need to fit in the style of play they run.
    (Think of the Baylor Oregon game... Baylor, 3 three point attempts to Oregon’s 32) Oregon due to injuries had 3 subs (like GU) and in the 4th quarter went I believe 1 for 17...

As for a grad transfer... I believe Baylor’s PG was a gt and scored the winning basket. I’m not sure on how the players think of a gt. They may think they worked their butts off to win a starting position just to have a gt step in... just not sure on how the team is going to react. They also may hinder the development of a younger player. Then again if its all about winning...

Go Zags!!

The one thing that should always be in the choice is a good confident shooter.
    Last edited by SkipZag; 04-10-2019 at 01:34 PM.

Some good players out there. Mass exodus at North Carolina, USC and South Carolina. Maybe a few are grad transfers, most are traditional, but it's impossible to know anymore if a player will be granted a waiver for immediate eligibility.

Out of all of them I've heard of so far, Minyon Moore from USC is the most intriguing to me. Apparently set to graduate in 3 years so she'll be a grad transfer. Not a great 3 point shooter but she has the range. Really quick, hard to stop her from driving. Also quick hands and disruptive on defense, forces lots of TOs. Gets out in transition well. Played PG, willing passer, might be more of a combo guard.

Evina Westbrook from Tennessee is probably the biggest name to hit the portal so far.

"They may think they worked their butts off to win a starting position just to have a gt step in... just not sure on how the team is going to react."

This...

I worry about this with the men's team as well....

if we brought in another pg what would be the effect on Jessi?.....she's worked her butt off for 3 yrs...

as far as all the tranfers out there, its surprising.......I wonder if Pili from Alaska is rethinking her committ to USC with all those players transferring out.......

Quote Originally Posted by seacatfan View Post
    Some good players out there. Mass exodus at North Carolina, USC and South Carolina. Maybe a few are grad transfers, most are traditional, but it's impossible to know anymore if a player will be granted a waiver for immediate eligibility.

Out of all of them I've heard of so far, Minyon Moore from USC is the most intriguing to me. Apparently set to graduate in 3 years so she'll be a grad transfer. Not a great 3 point shooter but she has the range. Really quick, hard to stop her from driving. Also quick hands and disruptive on defense, forces lots of TOs. Gets out in transition well. Played PG, willing passer, might be more of a combo guard.

Evina Westbrook from Tennessee is probably the biggest name to hit the portal so far.

Minyon Moore was on the Pac-12 all defensive team for two years in a row and second leading scorer at USC. Westbrook hit the portal but may have a change of mind, she can withdraw. She is still involved with the team and with now the new coach and all may re-consider.

Btw, Not a bad thing for teams with room to spare to shore up weaknesses with transfers.

I really do not understand the reluctance of some on this board to at least entertain the possibility of a transfer whether it is a graduate transfer or a straight transfer that must redshirt this upcoming year. Some of the all-time best players in the history of Lady Zag Wbb have been transfers (Haiden Palmer, Katelan Redmon, Keani Albanez, Lindey Sherbert, Georgia Stirton, Mak Williams, and of course current player Katie Campbell).

The coaching staff would not be doing their due diligence to at least explore the possibility of an available transfer when scholarships are available. Whether those transfers are grad transfers to help us next year of are more typical transfers that would help us in 2020/2021 season and maybe beyond.

As far as starting goes, time served is a very poor excuse to award someone a starting position. The best players should be playing. Of the starting five (5) most of us have assumed that CLF would start next year, JW and JT did not start at all this year and JL only started a few games in the beginning of the year and of course the last game of the year. KC only started because of the injury to JL. If CLF brought in a grad transfer point/shooting guard, you could start the transfer either at the #1 or #2, with JL taking the other spot and KC playing the #3. Either JT or JW could play the #4 and LW the #5 without any serious disruptions to the starting line-up. Just like this year, JL would shift between the #1 and #2 while KC would shift between the #2 & #3 and so on. It really should not be a big deal to the cohesion of the team.

We lost two (2) starting guards this year and will lose two (2) starting guards next year. We only have two (2) guards coming in. We absolutely could use primarily a point guard but any guard (maybe even 2) to stock our depth. However, any transfer who could help the team, should also be considered.

ZagDad

actually I 've been pushing since Grace left and Emma was out for a post transfer....should have gone after one last summer or the summer before.....Anna will certainly help in that reguard....

Two guards graduate two guards in this fall... as for next year two guards graduate and I’m sure CLF will have two if not three guards in the next recruitment class. One could very well be a red shirt transfer. As for a gt, I think they are a good fix if needed but I would hate to take anytime away from the future. This university has always been good at reloading rather than rebuilding. You do that by giving playing time to a young bench. Next years starters will be juniors and seniors developed through the program. Reloading... if you recruit great student athletes, adding a redshirt transfers like CS or HP is great if they become part of a recruiting class.

Go Zags!!

PS: ZD, Keani wasn’t a transfer. But good point on some great student athletes brought in in their early years.

PS: ZD, Keani wasn’t a transfer. But good point on some great student athletes brought in in their early years.
    Thanks for the clarification Skip.

Let me add another thought for adding transfers to an existing team.

Any time you recruit a HS player, you are basing your decision on how they perform against other HS & AAU players as well as how much you think they are going to improve during their time with your team. Some players essentially peak in HS, others improve in college but not enough to make a major impact on the team. Other players improve significantly during their time with your team. We all know of recruits on the Lady Zag team that, for what ever reason, did not get any significant amount of quality playing time, did not get a "chance", a real "chance", to show what they could do, why they were offered a scholarship in the first place. The truth is recruiting HS players is somewhat of a crap shoot for everybody and nobody knows how a recruit will eventually turn out.

When a transfer player is offered a scholarship, they have an established track record, maybe against D-1 opponents, maybe against NAIA opponents, etc. but they have established this track record against "better" competition than the vast majority of HS students. Your risk of granting a scholarship to a transfer student who fails to earn any significant playing time is much less than it is than offering the same scholarship to what amounts to essentially an unproven HS student.

Obviously any transfer has to "want" to come to GU and has to prove to the GU coaching staff that they are "Zag" type players, neither of which is guaranteed. Assuming Minyon Moore (Pac-12 all defensive team for two years in a row and second leading scorer at USC) is a suitable GU type player and wants to come to GU, this could by a significant step up for the Lady Zags by adding another experienced guard with extensive defensive capability and a history of taking the ball to the hoop, both items that the current team is lacking to some extent.

We all want the lady zags to take that next step. IMO to do that we need to improve our recruiting so that we are getting more 4-star and 5-star recruits and fewer 3-star recruits. Until we can do this, we will need to supplement our recruits with high quality transfers and foreign born players, both of which have been somewhat lacking under CLF.

We will see what the summer will bring.

ZagDad

Here is an interesting situation at South Carolina:

From ESPN:

South Carolina's Cooper also intends to transfer
    4:50 PM PT
    Associated Press

COLUMBIA, S.C. -- South Carolina guard Te'a Cooper intends to leave the program.

Team spokeswoman Diana Koval said Wednesday that Cooper's name is in the NCAA's transfer portal. Cooper, the team's leading scorer, becomes the fourth player this week from this season's team to say they want to transfer. Forwards Mikiah Herbert Harrigan and LaDazhia Williams and guard Bianca Jackson had previously announced their intentions to go.

Koval said Gamecocks coach Dawn Staley was holding individual season-ending meetings with the players this week and did not want to comment on Cooper's move.
    Four players from a Top-20 team including your team's leading scorer and point guard transferring.

Hmmmmmmm,

ZagDad

Quote Originally Posted by ZagDad84 View Post
    Here is an interesting situation at South Carolina:

From ESPN:

Four players from a Top-20 team including your team's leading scorer and point guard transferring.

Hmmmmmmm,

ZagDad
    How long does the portal stay open? Is there a deadline up until fall?

I am not sure how long the portal stays open. I think that once a person requests to be placed in the portal, they will or can remain in the portal until they accept another scholarship or ask to be removed.

Here is some links for transfer protocals, regulations and waivers.

NCAA Link: http://www.ncaa.org/student-athletes.../want-transfer

The National Law Review: https://www.natlawreview.com/article...dent-transfers

ZagDad

Minyon Moore of USC, second leading scorer and grad transfer is down to Baylor, Miss. St. or Oregon on her list.

Quote Originally Posted by northwest1 View Post
    Minyon Moore of USC, second leading scorer and grad transfer is down to Baylor, Miss. St. or Oregon on her list.
    Not surprisingly, all teams ranked in the Top 5 at least at some point this last year.

Evina Westbrook from Tennessee has met with new Lady Vols coach Kellie Harper and has decided to keep her name in the transfer protocol. Normally, I would say that we have no chance for someone from Tennessee, but she is originally from Salem, Oregon and if Moore transfers to Oregon, we could be in the mix with UCLA, and Oregon State if Westbrook wants to come and play closer to home.

Westbrook is 6'0" tall and averaged 14.9 ppg and 5.3 apg this year as a sophomore. She would have 2 years of eligibility remaining. I do not think she is graduating this year, so she would have to sit out a year if she is not given a waiver by the NCAA.

ZagDad

ZagDad, did you see Louisville snagged 3 transfers all at once? Two from Georgia Tech who have a decent chance of being immediately eligible due to the extreme circumstances there, plus Kianna Smith who was a decent guard at Cal.

I'm hoping Minyon Moore picks the Ducks from her final 3. I don't like migration of talent from the West to the East.

ZagDad, did you see Louisville snagged 3 transfers all at once? Two from Georgia Tech who have a decent chance of being immediately eligible due to the extreme circumstances there, plus Kianna Smith who was a decent guard at Cal.

I'm hoping Minyon Moore picks the Ducks from her final 3. I don't like migration of talent from the West to the East.
    I did see that Louisville picked up 3 transfers. Interesting that all 3 were guards and all 3 were starters. UL lost 3 starters, 2 guards and 1 forward. The transfers will have to fight the rest of the UL team as well as the incoming freshman for 2 positions. I am somewhat surprised that all 3 transferred to UL if they wanted to start and since they are 2 freshman and 1 sophomore, I would have thought starting would have been paramount in their evaluation. But what do I know.

Edit: My bad for relying on someone else's article. Elizabeth Balogun and Elizabeth Dixon from G-Tech are both freshman with Balogun being a guard and Dixon being a forward. California sophomore Kianna Smith is a guard.

Like you I hate to see West Coast talent go East. The West already gets limited exposure to their games, the last thing we need is our talent going to support the Mid-East and East Coast teams.

Just to see where GU stands with other teams, I checked out the rosters for Louisville, Cal and Stanford for this past year. UL had 9 guards on a roster of 13, Stanford had 5 guards out of a roster of 11 (both Hull sisters are considered forwards), and Cal had 6 guards out of a roster of 10. Gonzaga will have 7 guards (if you count JT and KG as guards) next year.

ZagDad
    Last edited by ZagDad84; 04-17-2019 at 10:05 PM.

Seacatfan, West to East talent has been an issue but it looks like Graves has some East to west talent in 2020 just announced.

One from Indiana (committed) and the other possibly from Illinois (down to Oregon or UCLA). No. 1 Guard and No.7 forward

https://www.oregonlive.com/ducks/201...la-others.html

https://www.oregonlive.com/ducks/201...-thursday.html

Seacatfan, West to East talent has been an issue but it looks like Graves has some East to west talent in 2020 just announced.

One from Indiana (committed) and the other possibly from Illinois (down to Oregon or UCLA). No. 1 Guard and No.7 forward

https://www.oregonlive.com/ducks/201...la-others.html

https://www.oregonlive.com/ducks/201...-thursday.html
    I did see that. I realize I'm a complete hypocrite, I don't mind talent going from East to West but not the other way around. Although to be fair because of population imbalance there is just generally way more talent east of the Mississippi. Oregon St. nabbed a couple of post prospects from Texas and Kansas in their incoming '19 class.

seriously, this is a ZAG board.....the thread title reads "are we....." and does not say lets have a thread about all the players going to Tenn, SC,oregon, oregon state,etc....

seriously, I am sure if you looked there are general boards for all of womens bb OR there are boards for your particular school, whatever that may be...POST there please....

this is not a rah rah board for Oregon, Oregon State, Tenn, etc at least it should not be......this is a ZAG fan board...

at least do us hard core ZAG fans a favor and start a thread "OT"...and post there with all your speculations about all your favorite teams not named Gonzaga.........is that asking too much?

Quote Originally Posted by sylean View Post
    seriously, this is a ZAG board.....the thread title reads "are we....." and does not say lets have a thread about all the players going to Tenn, SC,oregon, oregon state,etc....

seriously, I am sure if you looked there are general boards for all of womens bb OR there are boards for your particular school, whatever that may be...POST there please....

this is not a rah rah board for Oregon, Oregon State, Tenn, etc at least it should not be......this is a ZAG fan board...

at least do us hard core ZAG fans a favor and start a thread "OT"...and post there with all your speculations about all your favorite teams not named Gonzaga.........is that asking too much?
    You are right Sylean.

There is so much traffic on this "Zag" board we should not clutter it up with anything other than Zag news.

ZagDad

Seacatfan has nearly 10,000 posts and Zagdad more than 2600. And the concern is over less than 20 posts? Sylean?

Seacatfan has nearly 10,000 posts and Zagdad more than 2600. And the concern is over less than 20 posts? Sylean?
    NW1,

There are so few of us that post on this board, I personally feel that some of the more stringent rules that are applied to the Mbb side are unnecessary on the WBB side. If I and others did not post general (non-Zag) Wbb topics, this board could go weeks without a single post. I personally have received numerous PMs thanking me for posting articles and analysis (Zag and non-Zag) that I have posted. I am doing whatever I can, to improve traffic on this board and if that occasionally involves non-Zag discussion so be it, IMO if it gets more and/or new people posting then it is good. If the mods, want me to stop, they will PM me.

There are numerous thread jackers that post on this board, yet Sylean doesn't have a problem with them even if the thread jack is totally off topic because it may concern the Lady Zags. Why bury info about the Zags next game in today's game topic. Start a new thread with a new topic.

In reality, how many posts are made on the WBB board on any given day. It is not as if you are wasting your time wading through a large quantity of threads that do not apply to the Zags. Equally, even in this thread, everything had some sort of tie to the Lady Zags until SeaCat mentioned Louisville recruits and You and I joined in, for a grand total of four posts. Sylean is not really not complaining about the 4 posts that went off topic a bit.

You committed the cardinal sin. You can talk about Wbb in general, and other Wbb teams and even other Wbb sports and Sylean is usually just fine with it. But, and this is a big but , if you mention the University of Oregon, Ducks or KG in any kind of complementary fashion, you sir are verboten (and the vast majority of us applaud you for it).

Carry on NW1, all is good.

ZagDad

Sylean,

I just went back and checked, you have started a grand total of 3 threads in the last 84 threads. Want to share all of that additional lady zag info that is being pushed off the front page by a few non-zag threads/posts?

Yesterday, I came across some info on a possible future lady zag (according to some reports we have offered her), but she has not commented on her twitter page and she has not verbally committed to Gonzaga. Is this non-zag info until she commits? Discussing potential transfers from other schools who are already in the transfer protocol who could be possible future lady zags are no different. Where do we draw the line and not risk the wrath of Sylean.

IMO, there is plenty of room on this board for the die-hard zag fans that only want to read about the zags and those who wish to discuss the lady zags and all things Wbb which may or may not affect the lady zags.

ZagDad

Quote Originally Posted by ZagDad84 View Post
    NW1,

There are so few of us that post on this board, I personally feel that some of the more stringent rules that are applied to the Mbb side are unnecessary on the WBB side. If I and others did not post general (non-Zag) Wbb topics, this board could go weeks without a single post. I personally have received numerous PMs thanking me for posting articles and analysis (Zag and non-Zag) that I have posted. I am doing whatever I can, to improve traffic on this board and if that occasionally involves non-Zag discussion so be it, IMO if it gets more and/or new people posting then it is good. If the mods, want me to stop, they will PM me.

There are numerous thread jackers that post on this board, yet Sylean doesn't have a problem with them even if the thread jack is totally off topic because it may concern the Lady Zags. Why bury info about the Zags next game in today's game topic. Start a new thread with a new topic.

In reality, how many posts are made on the WBB board on any given day. It is not as if you are wasting your time wading through a large quantity of threads that do not apply to the Zags. Equally, even in this thread, everything had some sort of tie to the Lady Zags until SeaCat mentioned Louisville recruits and You and I joined in, for a grand total of four posts. Sylean is not really not complaining about the 4 posts that went off topic a bit.

You committed the cardinal sin. You can talk about Wbb in general, and other Wbb teams and even other Wbb sports and Sylean is usually just fine with it. But, and this is a big but , if you mention the University of Oregon, Ducks or KG in any kind of complementary fashion, you sir are verboten (and the vast majority of us applaud you for it).

Carry on NW1, all is good.

ZagDad
    Thanks,

There is only one WBB board where I can see they could have potential problem but they do a good job of separating the threads is the UCONN Wbb Boneyard forum. They still seem to be the WBB standard for all boards and the traffic they have is quite pretty good. Really a good source of what is happening in the WBB world and not just UCONN. They could close it off to just Uconn topics only but you would have the same 10 people posting on the same topics. As they say you choose what you want to read. Besides in the off season I am fascinated by the whole recruiting aspect of who goes where and how it affects how all the other recruiting dominos fall.