Thread: Today's Athletic has odd attribution

Default Today's Athletic has odd attribution

Today's Athletic has an odd attribution:

“I think a lot of the time (Perkins) is looked over,” Michaelson said. “What he’s meant to this program is incredible and replacing that with anyone is difficult.” GU has had runs like this before. Perkins followed in the footsteps of Kevin Pangos, a task that Michaelson acknowledged was tricky for Perkins. He expects a seamless transition next season, with Norvell sliding over to the point guard role, assuming he returns.

Quote Originally Posted by jazzdelmar View Post
    Today's Athletic has an odd attribution:

“I think a lot of the time (Perkins) is looked over,” Michaelson said. “What he’s meant to this program is incredible and replacing that with anyone is difficult.” GU has had runs like this before. Perkins followed in the footsteps of Kevin Pangos, a task that Michaelson acknowledged was tricky for Perkins. He expects a seamless transition next season, with Norvell sliding over to the point guard role, assuming he returns.
    Ummm.
    Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.
    Mark Twain.

It'll be PG by committee next year: Zach, Ravet, grad transfer sharing time at the 1. Friends, we're a long way to Kraziness in the Kennel, so let's not jump to any conclusions yet.

Quote Originally Posted by TexasZagFan View Post
    It'll be PG by committee next year: Zach, Ravet, grad transfer sharing time at the 1. Friends, we're a long way to Kraziness in the Kennel, so let's not jump to any conclusions yet.

Why not? this site is often all about "jumping"; to conclusions, on each other, off tall buildings just to name a few.
    Birddog

Twas brillig, and the slithy toves
    Did gyre and gimble in the wabe:
    All mimsy were the borogoves,
    And the mome raths outgrabe.

If Norvell runs the point, we are doomed
    21 Straight Big Dances

11 Straight Round of 32s

10 Sweet Sixteens (5 Straight)

4 Elite Eights

2017 FINAL FOUR

2 Winningest Players in college basketball history (Karnowski 137, Perkins 134)

The Best Point Guard to ever play the game: John Stockton, most assists, most steals.

Quote Originally Posted by Birddog View Post
    Why not? this site is often all about "jumping"; to conclusions, on each other, off tall buildings just to name a few.

This board could use this.
    "And Morrison? He did what All-Americans do. He shot daggers in the daylight and stole a win." - Steve Kelley (Seattle Times)

"Gonzaga is a special place, with special people!" - Dan Dickau #21

Foo me once shame on you, Foo me twice shame on me.

2012 Foostrodamus - Foothsayer of Death

Here's the link, for those who are subscribers.

Since this was not a coach quote, but was the interpretation by the Zag writer "[Michaelson] expects a seamless transition next season, with Norvell sliding over to the point guard role, assuming he returns."

It IS possible that Michaelson's exact phrasing or implied intent was perhaps a bit less clear cut about ZN taking on primary PG duties. Maybe, for example, the coach said that Norvell "might be coached and trained to help take on some of that role"

I have no insider info either way, I'm just trying to be aware of the way that such things can end up appearing overstated in the creation of a news story. (No offense to Ms. Andrews the author)

Since this wasn't premised on Norvell being gone, I also felt that this was a mistake in the article:

Kispert should take on a bigger role on and off the court, especially if Tillie does not return. A rising junior, Kispert will be the most experienced player on the team and will have to switch from the glue-guy role he has filled to a primary team leader.

Norvell is more experienced than Kispert. He redshirted with the team for our final 4 year and has spent 50% more time with the program and in Spokane than Kispert.

Quote Originally Posted by LTownZag View Post
    Norvell is more experienced than Kispert. He redshirted with the team for our final 4 year and has spent 50% more time with the program and in Spokane than Kispert.

Just seems like an overall oddball article to me.

Quote Originally Posted by LongIslandZagFan View Post

This board could use this.
    OMG that’s exactly what I was gonna post. Anyone seen a jump to conclusions mat, because that would be a big money maker. It wouldn’t even have to work, it could just be a mat with that guy’s picture on it.
    It's peanut butter jelly time!

Quote Originally Posted by DixieZag View Post
    Ummm.
    this is exactly what came to mind...….

I know I'm in the minority on this, but if we don't get a great grad transfer G I think Norvell is the best option. He has good handles and can distribute when needed. 3.1 Assists to 1.4 TOs is very good jumping off point for a G that was almost always playing off the ball. Obviously an elite true PG would be ideal, but if he can bump assists up to around 4.5 and share PG duties with some of the others when needed this could still be a Top 15 caliber team next season and an elite title contender in 2020-2021.

Not afraid of Snacks on point at all.... he's a stud that gives his best when on the court.... he slid there at times this season... I expect Ravet to get his PT too... Tillie is my question mark, what a plus he would add to next years Zags....

Go!! Zags!!!
    "Learn from the past, Plan for the future, Live in the Now!"

Quote Originally Posted by LTownZag View Post
    Since this was not a coach quote, but was the interpretation by the Zag writer "[Michaelson] expects a seamless transition next season, with Norvell sliding over to the point guard role, assuming he returns."

It IS possible that Michaelson's exact phrasing or implied intent was perhaps a bit less clear cut about ZN taking on primary PG duties. Maybe, for example, the coach said that Norvell "might be coached and trained to help take on some of that role"

I have no insider info either way, I'm just trying to be aware of the way that such things can end up appearing overstated in the creation of a news story. (No offense to Ms. Andrews the author)
    It's not a direct quote, but the way that's written, my guess is that Michaelson said Norvell is an option at the point. Nobody I know would phrase it that way unless the coach said it. (I worked in news for 20+ years.)

I don't know Kendra Andrews, but I know people who know her and she's got a great reputation. Plus I've read her stuff all year, and it appears she's really good at this. I believe she'd only write that if she got it from Michaelson.

As I've gotten "more mature", I can't jump to conclusions as high as I used to.
    This post is for March Madness seeding purposes only.

I'd like to see ZN run point next year. Let's be honest, we're not winning the chip regardless who is at point. There's far worse things than having a cold-blooded shooter with the ball in his hands. Would be entertaining at the least and could be great for his leadership skills and development for the NBA.

the biggest problem with norvell at point is that the zags don't have a high quality sg to replace him with...so if you can't get a good enough grad pg to come, next best thing is to get the best sg available and let snacks run point or share duties. even if ravet adapts well, zags are still severely lacking in the backcourt unless ayayi or foster take a quantum leap. only other option left would be to play kispert at the 2 some...which would be just fine on offense but on the other end...zone anyone?

Quote Originally Posted by WallaWallaZag View Post
    the biggest problem with norvell at point is that the zags don't have a high quality sg to replace him with...so if you can't get a good enough grad pg to come, next best thing is to get the best sg available and let snacks run point or share duties. even if ravet adapts well, zags are still severely lacking in the backcourt unless ayayi or foster take a quantum leap. only other option left would be to play kispert at the 2 some...which would be just fine on offense but on the other end...zone anyone?
    I could see Corey at the 2 next year. As to defense, we'll have plenty of quality and depth in the frontcourt. Have the guards stay at home if the opponent gets by them, let the frontcourt protect the rim. We won't get beat by 2 pointers, it's the barrage of open 3's that normally does us in.

Quote Originally Posted by MDABE80 View Post
    this is exactly what came to mind...….
    Which, ironically, is not jumping to conclusions, just the opposite, actually.

It was surprising to hear, and sorta speechless.
    Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.
    Mark Twain.

People speculated here about Norvell playing point guard next year before this article was written. He has playmaking ability and this wouldn’t be unheard of, especially if it is a 2 PG system with him and Ravet. We will hopefully have playmaking bigs doing some good things. Virginia played a PG who basically just brought the ball up the court and played defense. There is more than one way to skin a cat.

Chip is the title? If so. Howd ya get to that call conclusion?
    Quote Originally Posted by Alum08 View Post
    I'd like to see ZN run point next year. Let's be honest, we're not winning the chip regardless who is at point. There's far worse things than having a cold-blooded shooter with the ball in his hands. Would be entertaining at the least and could be great for his leadership skills and development for the NBA.

Quote Originally Posted by VinnyZag View Post
    It's not a direct quote, but the way that's written, my guess is that Michaelson said Norvell is an option at the point. Nobody I know would phrase it that way unless the coach said it. (I worked in news for 20+ years.)

I don't know Kendra Andrews, but I know people who know her and she's got a great reputation. Plus I've read her stuff all year, and it appears she's really good at this. I believe she'd only write that if she got it from Michaelson.

Thanks for the perspective! Guess we should expect some PG Zach.