Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Did ya know

Default Did ya know

I was reading this AM's cage liner and came across a tidbit I didn't know and thought it might be fun to have a thread along those lines to help fill in during the off season. I'll start.

Did ya know: The University of Nebraska has never won an NCAA Tournament game?
    Birddog

Twas brillig, and the slithy toves
    Did gyre and gimble in the wabe:
    All mimsy were the borogoves,
    And the mome raths outgrabe.

Did you know, you can't hum, while holding your nose closed? It's going to be a long summer.....

you cant roller skate in a buffalo herd. yes , very long. already excited about next year.

Did you know William and Mary has never made the tournament?
    21 Straight Big Dances

11 Straight Round of 32s

10 Sweet Sixteens (5 Straight)

4 Elite Eights

2017 FINAL FOUR

2 Winningest Players in college basketball history (Karnowski 137, Perkins 134)

The Best Point Guard to ever play the game: John Stockton, most assists, most steals.

Quote Originally Posted by Birddog View Post
    I was reading this AM's cage liner and came across a tidbit I didn't know and thought it might be fun to have a thread along those lines to help fill in during the off season. I'll start.

Did ya know: The University of Nebraska has never won an NCAA Tournament game?
    Yes...highly aware
    I am working on being a more all around square.

You can tune a piano but you can't Tuna Fish.

Quote Originally Posted by hondo View Post
    You can tune a piano but you can't Tuna Fish.
    "So if you're tired of the same old story,
    Oh, turn some pages
    I will be here when you are ready"

I was an REO fan long before Hi Infidelity came out.

Never say Whoh! in a mud hole.

MeKeon does actually have an air conditioner
    “The true measure of a Jesuit education,” said former Superior General Peter-Hans Kolvenbach, “is not what our students do, but who they become.”

Did you know I just drove by Donnie Daniels on campus 15 minutes ago?

Did you know only UTEP is the only school from Texas to ever win the National Championship in Men's Basketball?
    ----
    Why not try Love Poems. They work to prime the pump.

Somehow I think that's going to change under Hoiberg............

during the first 40 years of the NCAA tourney, teams form pacific and mountain time zones won 17 championships, during the second 40 years teams from pacific and mountain time zones have won 3

Quote Originally Posted by MileHigh View Post
    during the first 40 years of the NCAA tourney, teams form pacific and mountain time zones won 17 championships, during the second 40 years teams from pacific and mountain time zones have won 3
    Take UCLA out of the equation and the comparison would be 7 & 2.

It's crazy that Arizona (and Lute) got their one and only ring on a year when they were the 4 seed and had finished the season 5th in the PAC10!
    That run had so much luck.

• 2nd round - overcame 10-point 2nd half deficit against the 12 seed (College of Charleston)
    • 3rd round - Won a single possession game VS KU.
    • 4th round & Final game - Won both games in overtime

Speaking of luck - did anyone else see that UVA trailed all three of their final tournament games this year with under 15 seconds left and won each time? That's after they got by after Oregon after failed to make a single field goal in the final 5:40 of the game (and didn't even attempt a free throw until 15 second left).

Clearly UVA is elite and had great defense, but the chance of pulling off a streak like that is infinitesimal.

Quote Originally Posted by CDC84 View Post
    Somehow I think that's going to change under Hoiberg............
    I really wished he stayed at Iowa State, and thought he could've won a title there. I'm excited to see if he can get Nebraska to the tournament, and win a few games, or possibly more.

Did you know that the Beastie Boys coined the term "Mullet" to refer to a hairstyle in 1994 in their song "Mullet Head". No earlier use of the term "mullet" that refers to a hairstyle has been found.

I did not know this! Guess I'm not as informed as I thought I was:

Seth Davis
    @SethDavisHoops
    ·

We're going to see a lot of announcements of players going to the NBA. Under new rules they are allowed to sign with an agent but still return to school. Many, if not most, of them will come back. There's no downside to testing the waters.

Quote Originally Posted by SageOfZagville View Post
    Did you know that the Beastie Boys coined the term "Mullet" to refer to a hairstyle in 1994 in their song "Mullet Head". No earlier use of the term "mullet" that refers to a hairstyle has been found.
    ten you didnt grow up with me and my friends in the 70's go to barber and routinely asked that he provide me with mullet hair cut
    Basketball...The Toy Department of Life

Don't mess wth happy...Coach Few

Did you know that there really isn't a Gonzaga University?
    We didn't want the guy anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by SorenTodd45 View Post
    "So if you're tired of the same old story,
    Oh, turn some pages
    I will be here when you are ready"

I was an REO fan long before Hi Infidelity came out.
    Way O/T, but during my senior year, REO Speedwagon was the opening act for Tower of Power. One of the best concerts I ever saw, both were incredible.

Quote Originally Posted by 77Zag View Post
    MeKeon does actually have an air conditioner

Quote Originally Posted by titopoet View Post
    Did you know only UTEP is the only school from Texas to ever win the National Championship in Men's Basketball?
    Did you know Don Haskins appeared in a cameo role in the movie, "Glory Road"?

I was apparently the only one in the theatre that knew it was him. Seeing him as an attendant at a gas station was freaking hilarious, and I busted up laughing. I think his one line was "you want to fill it up?"

My wife and several of her sisters had no clue...and my wife and I had season tickets for five years. One of my SILs said, "I don't know what he was laughing at, but it had to of been something."

Did you know that a Zag baseball great was the last man to play shortstop for the Baltimore Orioles before Cal Ripken started his consecutive games streak?

I actually never realized that 2017 featured the only final four w/ two west coast teams.

I think that helped explain why the ratings for that F4 were so high.

That and the fact that on a national basis, Gonzaga is more popular than many people think.

The one that still amazes me is the consecutive winning streak for conference road games that Gonzaga has got going. What is it at right now, 31 in a row? The Pac in Wooden's day was not a very good conference. The only challenge that UCLA got at all on the west coast (and they didn't get much of it) was from LBSU when Tark coached there. And ultimately Jerry had to leave LBSU to establish a brand name at UNLV in order to get out from under Wooden's shadow (and Sam Gilbert's wallet )