Thread: J3 vs Zach Collins

Default J3 vs Zach Collins

I followed the game tonight, with the ESPN gameday thingie and J3 had 12/10 (5/9 and 2/2), 3 assists, 2 steals, 2 TO and 3 fouls in 29 minutes.

Collins had 0 (0/2) points in 13 minutes, 2 boards, 2 blocks, 2 to's and 1 pf.

Which one had the better game?

Portland won on a last (1.3) second 3, to get the 4 seed in the west. J3 and the Lakers are done for the season. I hope J3's NBA career isn't over, he has shown that he belongs.

Why do NBA execs draft on potential and not consistent results. I like Collins, loved him as a Zag, but his potential hasn't played out. J3 was consistent as a Zag and has been pretty consistent as a pro.

Sometimes it just doesn't seem to make much sense.
    Hoping you have a sense of humor too!

Zach is only 21, and has shown numerous times this season that he might break out into a very good player, very soon. He's got all the tools. Better physical tools than Sabonis. I think on a bad team like the Lakers Zach would fill up the statsheet much more often than in Portland.

Quote Originally Posted by willandi View Post

Why do NBA execs draft on potential and not consistent results. I like Collins, loved him as a Zag, but his potential hasn't played out. J3 was consistent as a Zag and has been pretty consistent as a pro.

They draft on potential instead of (lower) proven results for the same reasons players try to hit home runs when they could go for singles and doubles. You'll strike out more often but you'll get some out of the park.

Collins is 3" taller, a much better shooter, and several years younger than J3. He might end up a worse professional but clearly has/had a higher ceiling.

Quote Originally Posted by willandi View Post
    I followed the game tonight, with the ESPN gameday thingie and J3 had 12/10 (5/9 and 2/2), 3 assists, 2 steals, 2 TO and 3 fouls in 29 minutes.

Collins had 0 (0/2) points in 13 minutes, 2 boards, 2 blocks, 2 to's and 1 pf.

Which one had the better game?

Portland won on a last (1.3) second 3, to get the 4 seed in the west. J3 and the Lakers are done for the season. I hope J3's NBA career isn't over, he has shown that he belongs.

You're making an unfair comparison as the teams needs are different.

Zach has been on the Trailblazers roster all season and his immediate NBA future is secure. When given playing team this season, he has shown well and he very obviously belongs on an NBA team and my guess will eventually become a starter or highly used bench player.

J3, whom I love as a player, has been splitting time but mostly playing on the G League Lakers affiliate. He is on a bad Lakers team that is giving him a chance to audition for a chance at an NBA future and J3 is making the most of it.

I could not be more pleased about JW3.....but it is silly to write off Collin's potential, he is in his second year in the NBA at 21 years of age and has played in around 150 games..... with some very respectable statistics ……baring injuries, he looks like a 10 or 12 year pro to me....