Thread: Chandler Smith Selected DI-AAA Scholar Athlete

Post Chandler Smith Selected DI-AAA Scholar Athlete

Congratulations Chandler!

Chandler Smith Selected DI-AAA Scholar Athlete

Second-straight season the fifth-year senior has been recognized

CLEVELAND – Gonzaga women's basketball senior Chandler Smith was named to the Division I-AAA Women's Scholar Athlete Team for the second straight season. The 10 winners of the 17th annual Division I-AAA Athletic Directors Association (DI-AAA ADA) Scholar-Athlete Awards presented by ARMS Software were announced by the DI-AAA Athletic Directors Association Tuesday.

Smith, who led the Zags in minutes played for the second-straight season, was previously honored this season as a WCC All-Academic Selection. She's currently pursuing her second master's degree in organizational leadership after having already completed her master's in business administration and received her undergraduate degree in marketing. On the court, she averaged 9.2 points per game with 5.0 rebounds per game to rank second on the team in both categories. Smith added 2.6 assists and 1.2 steals per game.

Smith is the seventh Zag to be honored with the award in program history and just the second player to have earned the award twice. Jami (Bjorklund) Schaefer was also selected back-to-back seasons in 2008 and 2009. Under head women's basketball coach Lisa Fortier, Smith along with Kiara Kudron, Shelby Cheslek and Sunny Greinacher have each been named to the Division I-AAA Women's Scholar Athlete Team.

Basketball players from all Division I-AAA ADA member institutions are eligible for these prestigious awards. Each of the nominees is required to maintain a minimum grade point average of 3.20 - on a 4.00 scale - in undergraduate study and have been a starter or important reserve with legitimate athletics credentials. Nominees must have participated in at least 50 percent (50%) of the team's games listed on the nomination form. To be eligible for nomination to the Scholar-Athlete Team, he/she must have reached junior academic standing at their institution (ineligible athletics transfers are NOT eligible).

Cecily Carl, an accounting major from American University, who owns a 3.89 GPA, was named the Division I-AAA ADA Women's Scholar Athlete of the Year.

"Once again, our association is excited to announce this year's men's and women's basketball Scholar-Athlete Teams and Awards recipients," stated Division I-AAA ADA Scholar-Athlete Team Selection Committee Chair and University of Portland Vice President for Athletics, Scott Leykam. "This was an extremely deep pool of nominees with many deserving winners. Our sincere congratulations to all of those who have been honored."

A special Review Committee of Division I-AAA Athletics Directors were responsible for selecting the winners. The 2019 Review Committee consisted of: Scott Leykam (Committee Chair), University of Portland; Amanda Braun, University of Wisconsin-Milwaukee; Chasse Conque, University of Arkansas - Little Rock; Irma Garcia, St. Francis College; Robert Lineburg, Radford University, Philip Hutcheson, Lipscomb University; Jean Lenti Ponsetto, DePaul University; Kenneth Siegfied, California State University Bakersfield; and Marianne Reilly, Manhattan College.

Women's Scholar-Athlete Team

Name Institution GPA Major
    Lindsey Abed University of Hartford 3.69 Psychology
    Cecily Carl American University 3.89 Accounting
    Ronjanae DeGray University of Arkansas-Little Rock 3.42 Special Education
    Mart'e Grays DePaul University 3.35 Sociology
    Stella Johnson Rider University 3.60 Sports Media
    Ameela Li University of the Pacific 3.92 Business Administration
    Darby Maggard Belmont University 3.53 Psychology
    Amy O'Neil St. Francis Brooklyn 3.86 Accounting
    Jenna Roy Belmont University 3.98 Marketing
    Chandler Smith Gonzaga University 3.87 Organizational Leadership

Women's Scholar-Athlete of the Year: Cecily Carl, American University
    Postgraduate Scholarship Recipient: Ameela Li, University of the Pacific

Gonzaga Article Link

this is why we LOVE Gonzaga basketball.........our players are stellar on and off the court.....

CONGRATULATIONS TO CHANDLER!

Holla! Way to go Chandler.

Congrats to Chandler and Josh. This was Pacific's entry and commentary on the DIV 1 AAA- scholar athletes.

https://www.pacifictigers.com/sports...20190409pv24yu