Thread: Defensive Lapses Decide NCAA Wbb & Mbb Tournament Champions

Default Defensive Lapses Decide NCAA Wbb & Mbb Tournament Champions

The NCAA gave us some fabulous March Madness games in both the Wbb and Mbb tournaments capped off with two exceptional championship games. While things can always be better, Kudos to the NCAA for holding our (at least my) attention for 3 solid weeks.

As most of readers of this board are well aware, I have always preached defense first and have been hard on the ladies for their lapses on defense. While it is true that no one play determines the outcome of a game, it was interesting to see that there were two plays (one in each of the Wbb and Mbb championships) which likely lead to the defeat of ND and to Texas Tech.

In the Wbb championship game, the game is tied and time is running down. Chloe Jackson (Baylor guard) takes Jackie Young (ND guard) off the dribble. Brianna Turner (ND Forward) can choose to stop the dribble or play from behind to block. Turner decides to let the ball handler go and she never gets a chance to affect the shot from behind. The Jackson lay-up with 3.9 seconds left in the game put Baylor up two forcing Arike Ogunbowale to make both free throws to send the game into overtime. She missed the first free throw and Baylor wins. Middle school basketball 101, you have to stop the ball. Make the ball handler make the extra pass. Brianna Turner failed to stop the ball handler and Chloe Jackson made her and the fighting Irish pay.

In the Mbb championship game, Texas Tech was up 3 and Virginia was bringing the ball up the court with just a few seconds left on the clock. The ball handler drives to the hoop and both of the TT players on the wing sag towards the key to provide help defense. The ball handler whips the ball to the now wide open teammate on the wing where he buries a 3 sending the game into overtime. TT was up 3, the 2 point basket meant nothing. Let the ball handler have his lay-up and TT is still up one with less than 10 seconds left in the game. Lack of situational awareness likely cost TT the NCAA championship.

As the pundits have discussed these games in depth, one similar line of thought was brought out. In times of stress, you revert to how you have played the game all year. That, ladies and gentlemen, is why it is important to learn the fundamentals from day one and work on improving them game by game. If you make the mistakes in a 30 point blow-out win, you will likely make the same mistakes in a tight game.

The biggest weakness's on the Lady Zags defense (and they were pretty darn good this year) , IMO, were the constant, providing help defense when it was not needed leading to wide open 3 point shooters (the "Hope they Miss" defense), the not stopping the ball handler during the drive through the key, letting her have unopposed lay-ups and the silly fouls at the end of a quarter, half, game leading to points that should not have been scored.

Isn't it interesting that those very same items that we have discussed ad nauseum on this board, beginning early in the year, concerning the lady zags defense turned out to greatly affect the Wbb and Mbb NCAA championship games.

It is never too early, to begin working on next year.

Go Zags,

ZagDad
    Last edited by ZagDad84; 04-09-2019 at 10:29 AM.

Default Defensive Lapses Decide NCAA Wbb & Mbb Tournament Champions

Quote Originally Posted by ZagDad84 View Post
    The NCAA gave us some fabulous March Madness games in both the Wbb and Mbb tournaments capped off with two exceptional championship games. While things can always be better, Kudos to the NCAA for holding our (at least my) attention for 3 solid weeks.

As most of readers of this board are well aware, I have always preached defense first and have been hard on the ladies for their lapses on defense. While it is true that no one play determines the outcome of a game, it was interesting to see that there were two plays (one in each of the Wbb and Mbb championships) which likely lead to the defeat of ND and to Texas Tech.

In the Wbb championship game, the game is tied and time is running down. Chloe Jackson (Baylor guard) takes Jackie Young (ND guard) off the dribble. Brianna Turner (ND Forward) can choose to stop the dribble or play from behind to block. Turner decides to let the ball handler go and she never gets a chance to affect the shot from behind. The Jackson lay-up with 3.9 seconds left in the game put Baylor up two forcing Arike Ogunbowale to make both free throws to send the game into overtime. She missed the first free throw and Baylor wins. Middle school basketball 101, you have to stop the ball. Make the ball handler make the extra pass. Brianna Turner failed to stop the ball handler and Chloe Jackson made her and the fighting Irish pay.

In the Mbb championship game, Texas Tech was up 3 and Virginia was bringing the ball up the court with just a few seconds left on the clock. The ball handler drives to the hoop and both of the TT players on the wing sag towards the key to provide help defense. The ball handler whips the ball to the now wide open teammate on the wing where he buries a 3 sending the game into overtime. TT was up 3, the 2 point basket meant nothing. Let the ball handler have his lay-up and TT is still up one with less than 10 seconds left in the game. Situational awareness likely cost TT the NCAA championship.

As the pundits have discussed these games in depth, one similar line of thought was brought out. In times of stress, you revert to how you have played the game all year. That, ladies and gentlemen is why it is important to learn the fundamentals from day one and work on improving them game by game. If you make the mistakes in a 30 point blow-out win, you will likely make the same mistakes in a tight game.

The biggest weakness's on the Lady Zags defense (and they were pretty darn good this year) , IMO, were the constant, providing help defense when it was not needed leading to wide open 3 point shooters (the "Hope they Miss" defense), the not stopping the ball handler during the drive through the key, letting her have unopposed lay-ups and the silly fouls at the end of a quarter, half, game leading to points that should not have been scored.

Isn't it interesting that those very same items that we have discussed ad nauseum on this board, beginning early in the year, concerning the lady zags defense turned out to greatly affect the Wbb and Mbb NCAA championship games.

It is never too early, to begin working on next year.

Go Zags,

ZagDad
    Truer words were never spoken. When I was coming up, the goal...every single time you were playing defense was to make the player pick up the dribble. Ball is dead, held in your opponent's hands. Enough of those "pick ups" during a game and soon your opponent may get into the mindset "I'm getting my shot off, no matter what".

Now you've got them. Worse than killing the play they are now frustrated enough to make poor decisions, shooting low percentage shots. When they start showing attitude, then you know you've gotten into their head, because they start trying to play the mental game because you've stopped them physically.

Lock down defense and matchups is one the most important decisions a coach/player can make. It disrupts the best laid plans. If you look at the majority of my posts when talking about games it always starts with what player should be stopped.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I think we'll be stronger in the middle this next season, because we'll have Anna, as well as a stronger Mel and Kylee and of course Lee and Jenn......our guards should be able to feel confident in defending against the plethora of WCC teams.......

I agree about the laxidaisical effort we had at the end of the quarters/half.....literally just allowed free range......depressing to have that happen to you just as you're going into a break.....