Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: One Zion (Shining) Moment

Default One Zion (Shining) Moment

I've never shared the hate that some of my fellow GUBoards fanatics have towards Zion, Duke, Coach K. Tonight something happenend that I can't let slip. Zion Williamson, God Bless Him, had more highlights on One Shining Moment than half the field combined. ESPN is a hype machine, CBS needs ratings, analysts and pundits need something to talk about - I get that. By the time One Shining Moment is screened, all the selling is done. There's no benefit to the networks to hype anything. Those of us who tuned in deserve to be rewarded with the best plays, emotional moments, sports drama, and passion that is supposed to be embodied in One Shining Moment. Instead, we get seven or eight shots of Zion and very little screen time for the rest of the field.

All I can say is that it was shameful. Rant over.

You're not alone. What's sad is that by all accounts, the guy is a nice kid and devoid of a massive ego. But the media just takes these things too far without ever considering that they may be causing a backlash against the kid.

Quote Originally Posted by CDC84 View Post
    You're not alone. What's sad is that by all accounts, the guy is a nice kid and devoid of a massive ego. But the media just takes these things too far without ever considering that they may be causing a backlash against the kid.
    Yep - there's all this backlash against Zion, and it's not remotely his fault. Seems like a good kid.
    I will thank God for the day and the moment I have. - Jimmy V

I didn't even bother to wait to watch it 'cause I knew it would be all about Zion and Duke. I mean wasn't that ALL WE HEARD this season on ESPN? I'm so G L A D they weren't in the Final 4. After the game when it was time for Barkley and the crew to analyze the game, the CBS main host said something like, even though we didn't get to see the teams that we wanted to it was a really good game. And OMG did Charles Barkley ever give it to him. Barkley went on a five minute rave about the teams who make it to the Finals are the teams deserve to be there. He talked a lot about the beauty of sports and how it's a rare thing because it is R E A L. Something like that. It's a very poor paraphrase, but I loved what Barkley had to say, as usual.

Good luck to Zion. I understand it isn't his fault, but imo, he's not the player that the media made him out to be (Superman). This fact was evident in the tournament. And neither were the SUPER FRESHMEN, which ESPN wanted those four players to be because they wanted them to be as good as those FAB FIVE freshmen who played for Michigan.
    Go Zags!!! The Best Is Yet To Come!!!

ESPN making its own market. It began before Zion had put one foot on the court way last Summer. ESPN can pretty much do what it wants since there's no FDA for the media. I'll admit, it's unfair and it's ignoring the rest of the colleges that make the entire "rest of the system" work properly. This is the most flagrant I've seen.

We might have our own Zion next year
    To Fish & Game: Keep streams stocked well for Mr. Few!

Quote Originally Posted by GrizZAG View Post
    Who’s that?

Quote Originally Posted by GrizZAG View Post
    Huh?

Not even in the same strastosphere with current recruits. We have some future talented kids coming in, and I'm not huge fan, but I recognize his otherworldy, once in a century type of talent...esp at the college lvl.

Unless Brandon Clarke miraculously returns (not happening), we don't have anyone like that kid.

Quote Originally Posted by Malastein View Post
    Who’s that?
    Really? Lol
    Qualified for 22 Straight Big Dances

11 Straight Round of 32s

10 Sweet Sixteens (5 Straight)

4 Elite Eights

2017 FINAL FOUR

2 Winningest Players in college basketball history (Karnowski 137, Perkins 134)

The Best Point Guard to ever play the game: John Stockton, most assists, most steals.

I'm only happy about one single solitary thing about the season being over. ......Zion is the NBA's problem now. And honestly, yeah the kid can jump pretty high, but just about any D-1 athlete can look that good when you're allowed to go through your adversary as much as he was. I honestly don't think that there was a game of his that I watched where he didn't commit AT LEAST 25 FOULS, and those were the obvious ones. Goodbye Zion, you won't be missed by this fan because you embody everything that is currently wrong with sports in general. Though I will acknowledge that most reports say that you're a nice guy off the court.

Don't you boys and girls know your biblical history? Zion is the promised land, the land of milk and honey. ESPN, CBS, et al were not about to ignore the fact.
    Birddog

Twas brillig, and the slithy toves
    Did gyre and gimble in the wabe:
    All mimsy were the borogoves,
    And the mome raths outgrabe.

Quote Originally Posted by Birddog View Post
    Don't you boys and girls know your biblical history? Zion is the promised land, the land of milk and honey. ESPN, CBS, et al were not about to ignore the fact.
    Which shoe company will land Zion? There won't be enough money to pay anyone else after Zion signs.

IMO, Rui will end up being in the top 5 in endorsement money for rookies. Japan is a huge market, and the 2020 Olympics is going to be played in Rui's backyard.

Looking further out, are the Zags the go to program for Asian talent? The development of Rui is a textbook lesson to all.

Quote Originally Posted by zagamatic View Post
    I'm only happy about one single solitary thing about the season being over. ......Zion is the NBA's problem now. And honestly, yeah the kid can jump pretty high, but just about any D-1 athlete can look that good when you're allowed to go through your adversary as much as he was. I honestly don't think that there was a game of his that I watched where he didn't commit AT LEAST 25 FOULS, and those were the obvious ones. Goodbye Zion, you won't be missed by this fan because you embody everything that is currently wrong with sports in general. Though I will acknowledge that most reports say that you're a nice guy off the court.
    One of the most out of touch posts I have ever read.

Quote Originally Posted by TexasZagFan View Post
    Which shoe company will land Zion? There won't be enough money to pay anyone else after Zion signs.

IMO, Rui will end up being in the top 5 in endorsement money for rookies. Japan is a huge market, and the 2020 Olympics is going to be played in Rui's backyard.

Looking further out, are the Zags the go to program for Asian talent? The development of Rui is a textbook lesson to all.
    Nike... the one that has been paying him all along.
    "And Morrison? He did what All-Americans do. He shot daggers in the daylight and stole a win." - Steve Kelley (Seattle Times)

"Gonzaga is a special place, with special people!" - Dan Dickau #21

Foo me once shame on you, Foo me twice shame on me.

2012 Foostrodamus - Foothsayer of Death

Zion is an incredible talent ... we will see how the NBA treats him.

Zags beat Duke to win Maui

Zags and Duke advanced equally as far in the Madness
    “The true measure of a Jesuit education,” said former Superior General Peter-Hans Kolvenbach, “is not what our students do, but who they become.”

Zion is a 285lb freakishly athletic kid with a unbelievable 42 PER. He is humble in interviews and good kid from a good background. It's not his fault ESPN dotes on him like a new born baby. Whether he is actually the "next Lebron" or 2nd coming of "whatever" remains to be seen but I think he was good for 1 year of college basketball. The Maui win wouldn't have been what it was without a win over Zion and Duke.

Quote Originally Posted by Birddog View Post
    I will thank God for the day and the moment I have. - Jimmy V

Can't blame CBS, it's normal to highlight the national champion's star player.

Quote Originally Posted by ZagNut08 View Post
    Can't blame CBS, it's normal to highlight the national champion's star player.

Guess CBS produced the show a few weeks back and did not want to re do it.

I was at the game and watched One Shining Moment from the stadium and the first thing I texted my buddy after was "did I really just see Zion 7 times in One Shining Moment? You'd think Duke actually played 6 games..."

For anyone who missed it last night, here's you go, One Zion Moment

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6oeVclMjiKQ

Quote Originally Posted by CB4 View Post
    For anyone who missed it last night, here's you go, One Zion Moment

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6oeVclMjiKQ
    It's a shame they didn't show his "domination" of the Zags in Maui..

Whichever shoe company Zion signs with......will he take less money if the company can guarantee that the shoe won't break on him in the middle of a play?

Quote Originally Posted by Ladyzag12 View Post
    One of the most out of touch posts I have ever read.
    Agreed. That and all these post disparaging Zion are embarrassing. Kids a stud. He’s fun to watch and a great player. And, something I think a lot of the older posters don’t get is that the KIDS love him! He’s great for the game.

Serious question, if Koach went out in the first w/e, a la Lehigh, would there be any fewer Zion-lovegrams on the video?