Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Way too early rankings for 2019-2020

Quote Originally Posted by jayray View Post
    I was just watching some video of him. It looks like his defense could use some work. He looks pretty small. Is he going to play you think as a freshman? Are Foster and Ayai good enough to play?
    No.

Think 5 is way too high... That and the lineup seems totally unrealistic too. JMHO... I think the idea of both Watson and Timme on the bench with Ravet starting is a stretch. My gut says Timme will earn his way into the starting 5 early in the season and will never relinquish it.
    "And Morrison? He did what All-Americans do. He shot daggers in the daylight and stole a win." - Steve Kelley (Seattle Times)

"Gonzaga is a special place, with special people!" - Dan Dickau #21

Foo me once shame on you, Foo me twice shame on me.

2012 Foostrodamus - Foothsayer of Death

5. Gonzaga

Clarke is a close call, but for now I’ll lean towards expecting him to turn pro. Even if he does, as long as Norvell and Tillie return, the Zags should not fall off at all. I expect Petrusev to take a huge step forward, and Mark Few is bringing in a six-man freshman class that is ranked No. 5 in the country by 247sports.

Quote Originally Posted by jazzdelmar View Post
    5. Gonzaga

Clarke is a close call, but for now I’ll lean towards expecting him to turn pro. Even if he does, as long as Norvell and Tillie return, the Zags should not fall off at all. I expect Petrusev to take a huge step forward, and Mark Few is bringing in a six-man freshman class that is ranked No. 5 in the country by 247sports.
    Clarke is gone. We can stop thinking about that possibility.

Quote Originally Posted by OntZags View Post
    Clarke is gone. We can stop thinking about that possibility.
    Would YOU choose to make MILLIONS of dollars, or come back for another College season and a chance at a NC?

I would be gone in a Spokane minute!
    I'm laughing. Why aren't you?

That’s ludicrous with that lineup.
    Might be a stretch ..... but what’s stopping any of these players being better players by Fall? We’ve seen amazing improvements in Zag guys season to season. Are the Zags, regardless of who’s on the roster, going to be in the top 25? I’d say so. Will they make a 6th in a row Sweet 16? I’d bet on that too. Whether they are #5 it’s my opinion that it will take noticeable improvement by Corey, Zach and Filip along with a fully functional Tillie. The possibilities of that to me are not ludicrous. However, ranking teams this early for next season is a fool’s folly

Quote Originally Posted by willandi View Post
    Would YOU choose to make MILLIONS of dollars, or come back for another College season and a chance at a NC?

I would be gone in a Spokane minute!
    If he became POY and received the Zion type outcome, would it matter? I do think that may be in order now thT the media has discovered Brandon. Just a few bought and more of a question. Insurance included.

Quote Originally Posted by MDABE80 View Post
    If he became POY and received the Zion type outcome, would it matter? I do think that may be in order now thT the media has discovered Brandon. Just a few bought and more of a question. Insurance included.
    Doc...you make that argument every year....bless you....but to my knowledge it has never been realized.....a triumph of hope over experience.....

Quote Originally Posted by Zagger View Post
    Might be a stretch ..... but what’s stopping any of these players being better players by Fall? We’ve seen amazing improvements in Zag guys season to season. Are the Zags, regardless of who’s on the roster, going to be in the top 25? I’d say so. Will they make a 6th in a row Sweet 16? I’d bet on that too. Whether they are #5 it’s my opinion that it will take noticeable improvement by Corey, Zach and Filip along with a fully functional Tillie. The possibilities of that to me are not ludicrous. However, ranking teams this early for next season is a fool’s folly
    The 3 players leaving are much better than the 3 players coming back. And the kids are ??????s.

Quote Originally Posted by CDC84 View Post
    I do not know how others feel, but I have seen nothing at this point. It's possible if Foster sticks with it he might be good as an upperclassman, but only in a backup capacity. I think that some of Dom Harris' problems just simply have to do with the fact that up until January 2019, he basically could do anything he wished on the basketball floor. He is by FAR AND AWAY the greatest prep b-ball player in the history of southern Orange County. I know so because I grew up there. It's not a very good place for basketball, which is why he had to move to Rancho Christian. I secretly hope he still lists his hometown as Newport Beach. All of the physical capabilities are there. Great athleticism and lateral quickness. Cares about defense. Not sure what his length is. But yes, the ideal situation, I suppose, would be to have an upperclassman PG alongside him. Especially in practice.
    Far and away better than Klay Thompson?!? Overall though, you are right...Orange County is not a hoops hotbed. I have been in the OC for the last 12 years, with the most recent 6 in Eastside Costa Mesa. Feel confident we will be here for life now.

Speaking of the OC, maybe UCI's Max Hazzard is the answer for the Zags at PG? At this point, not sure how many grad transfer PG's will be more talented than Hazzard. I'm not sure if Pritchard at Oregon or Merrill at Utah St will pursue that transfer route or not. They seem like they maybe happy to stay at their respective schools, given the high expectations with both of those programs next year.

GU is a 3 seed (playing in Spokane!) in Joe Lunardi's first 2020 Bracketology.

Quote Originally Posted by bartruff1 View Post
    Doc...you make that argument every year....bless you....but to my knowledge it has never been realized.....a triumph of hope over experience.....
    I asked a question. Bless your lil heart Bart. Would it matter to the player if he got all kinds of awards if he stayed for his senior year. Most who stay for another year say it was worth it. Worth is then defined as 1. a better player or 2. get em to a bigger paycheck.

It an honest question Bart...…...and nobody ever answers it.

I asked a question. Bless your lil heart Bart. Would it matter to the player if he got all kinds of awards if he stayed for his senior year. Most who stay for another year say it was worth it. Worth is then defined as 1. a better player or 2. get em to a bigger paycheck.

Of course the players answer it....they turn pro.....do I have to name them ??? I'll answer it as a fan...honest answer....absolutely not......... no one can know what the future holds or what might have been...

Goss.

I did a ranking, but got bored after the first team.

1. Gonzaga
    Bring back the OCC

Quote Originally Posted by SanDiegoZag View Post
    Far and away better than Klay Thompson?!? Overall though, you are right...Orange County is not a hoops hotbed. I have been in the OC for the last 12 years, with the most recent 6 in Eastside Costa Mesa. Feel confident we will be here for life now.

Speaking of the OC, maybe UCI's Max Hazzard is the answer for the Zags at PG? At this point, not sure how many grad transfer PG's will be more talented than Hazzard. I'm not sure if Pritchard at Oregon or Merrill at Utah St will pursue that transfer route or not. They seem like they maybe happy to stay at their respective schools, given the high expectations with both of those programs next year.
    ever heard of Mater Dei in Santa Ana?

Goss.
    Goss isn't better Bart. Far worse and he knows it.

That is not my opinion...read recently he is very happy to be playing in Europe and is in touch with the Jazz....

You can become a better player playing more games with and against better players.....I suspect he is doing that....

College is not the only option for a player who wants to play in the NBA..in any case the "right" thing for him is not necessarily the "right" thing for others...

And our opinions are irrelevant ….. end of story...

That’s ludicrous with that lineup.
    I'm just the messenger here. Surprising to me as well. But no more ludicrous than the site that had the Ducks sixth, as one example.

I do think that lineup is top 20.

ETA: just saw a couple of other rankings. ESPN has Zags 8th; Wilner the Bay Area writer who covers the PAC has Zags 10th.

Quote Originally Posted by Zagceo View Post
    ever heard of Mater Dei in Santa Ana?
    Yeah, I was going to add a disclaimer for Mater Dei...but as you surely know, they are a bit of a feeder/transfer school. It is basically an area all star team, and they will get guys from outside of Orange County too. Also, it's not like Orange County is small...it is almost half the population of all of Washington state...so you would figure there would be some talent. ...but yes, they are obviously a good "program". The OP mentioned just south Orange County, so yes, it is probably more appropriate to say that particular area does not produce much hoops talent.

5. Gonzaga

I agree, Jazz! Clarke IS a close call. IMO he could benefit a lot by returning to play college ball at GU. He has so much to work on on offense, imo. I'd like to see him develop the way Kelly O. did, and see him go much higher in the draft the following year.

Go Zags!!!
    Go Zags!!! The Best Is Yet To Come!!!

Good and reasonable post Reborn. I think he’ll go through the tryouts but 50-50 to return/leave.
    Quote Originally Posted by Reborn View Post
    I agree, Jazz! Clarke IS a close call. IMO he could benefit a lot by returning to play college ball at GU. He has so much to work on on offense, imo. I'd like to see him develop the way Kelly O. did, and see him go much higher in the draft the following year.

Go Zags!!!

Clarke is gone.