Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Way too early rankings for 2019-2020

Default Way too early rankings for 2019-2020

http://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/ncaa...TEL?li=BBnb4R7

Lower that I thought but still when new PG shows up and Tillie stays (hopefully) we'll do a bit better in the preseason polls. Loss of 2 AA's is bound to hurt. The other ranking services will soo release their outlooks for the upcoming season. Our recruits really do look sensational.

Quote Originally Posted by MDABE80 View Post
    http://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/ncaa...TEL?li=BBnb4R7

Lower that I thought but still when new PG shows up and Tillie stays (hopefully) we'll do a bit better in the preseason polls. Loss of 2 AA's is bound to hurt. The other ranking services will soo release their outlooks for the upcoming season. Our recruits really do look sensational.
    Low? I'd go the other direction and say I'm surprised we're in the top 25. If Tillie leaves they should definitely be out of the top 25 to start the season; just too many fresh faces (freshmen or grad transfers).

NBC Sports has Zags 5th, projecting Norvell and Tillie returning. Projected starters Ravet, Norvell, Kispert, Tillie, Petrusev.

Quote Originally Posted by maynard g krebs View Post
    NBC Sports has Zags 5th, projecting Norvell and Tillie returning. Projected starters Ravet, Norvell, Kispert, Tillie, Petrusev.
    https://collegebasketball.nbcsports....season-top-25/ true enough Maynard!

Anything in top 25 is a gift
    Qualified for 23 Straight Big Dances

12 Straight Round of 32s

11 Sweet Sixteens (6 Straight)

4 Elite Eights

2017 AND 2021 FINAL FOUR

2 Winningest Players in college basketball history (Karnowski 137, Perkins 134)

2021 Undefeated Regular Season

The Best Point Guard to ever play the game: John Stockton, most assists, most steals.

This is a ridiculous ranking

- sure the rankings might be ridiculous.......that's why they call it a way too early top 25, too many unknowns
    - biggest unknowns for the zags are 1. does Tillie come back, and 2. who will be our grad transfer point guard?

- if the unknowns fall good for the zags, I think a top 10 ranking would be most reasonable
    - if Tillie does not come back, I still think a top 20 ranking is not unreasonable.

- I'm not worried about next year, we will be alright, we will be good, I fully expect another sweet sixteen.

The Sporting News has GU 20th, with Tillie gone. That seems high to me, but who knows.

Edited: Sorry, this is the same ranking as the original post, just from TSN's actual site instead of MSN.

That’s ludicrous with that lineup.

Seems to me we could lose close to everyone and so long as the average class is coming in and we have reserves from the year before, we should start at least between 15-25 based upon stability as a program over decades.

I am honestly excited about next year. So many unknowns, so much potential.

We need an upperclassmen PG.

As soon as we get one of those, it'll be even more exciting. Hope we get one.
    Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.
    Mark Twain.

I can tell you that MD HATES doing these ridiculously too early preseason rankings (and they seem to keep coming out earlier and earlier each year) for The Sporting News, but even a Basketball Hall of Fame writer takes orders from a boss. If he had a choice not to do them, he wouldn't.

Quote Originally Posted by gonzagafan62 View Post
    Anything in top 25 is a gift
    not really a gift. i think we've earned the benefit of the doubt. also not like there are a bunch of teams behind us that are more deserving of a top 25 ranking.

Ballo takes the world by storm. A man child.
    I miss Mike Hart

Timme and Watson...double boom!
    It's peanut butter jelly time!

Quote Originally Posted by DixieZag View Post
    Seems to me we could lose close to everyone and so long as the average class is coming in and we have reserves from the year before, we should start at least between 15-25 based upon stability as a program over decades.

I am honestly excited about next year. So many unknowns, so much potential.

We need an upperclassmen PG.

As soon as we get one of those, it'll be even more exciting. Hope we get one.
    Seems to me Virginia with a freshman PG doing ok
    Basketball...The Toy Department of Life

Don't mess wth happy...Coach Few

To me everything’s in place except the guard situation. Tons of talent to be developed. We get. Great PG and a strong reserve guard and were on our way!! Huge stable of talented bigs.

Quote Originally Posted by Hoopaholic View Post
    Seems to me Virginia with a freshman PG doing ok
    Virginia effectively started 3 PGs this year. Nice luxury to have.

Quote Originally Posted by VinnyZag View Post
    Virginia effectively started 3 PGs this year. Nice luxury to have.
    Gonzaga is not likely going to take a freshman PG because they have an ELITE one coming in 2020's Dominick Harris. The recruiting plan, at this point, is to combine Harris with Jalen Suggs at shooting guard and Julian Strawther as a 6-7 small forward. Daishen Nix is also an option if Suggs chooses football. That is the 2020 plan as I know it. Both Harris and Suggs are really kind of combo guards, but GU is not going to waste its time going after some unsigned spring McDonald's AA type who is bound to go to Kansas, Kentucky or one of the blue blood teams. Spring recruits are like trying to find a used Beatles CD in a record store. The plan is to "rent-a-grad-transfer" for one year until Harris gets here. Contrary to that NY Times report, NCAA Prez Mark Emmert is not in favor of changing the current grad transfer rules.

Plan is sound. Still though a PG or two sounds like a superior investment...till we get to the Dom and Suggs era. Although some might poo poo Brock, he can pass and shoot like a demon.

ESPN has us #8 to start, counting on Clarke and Rui to go and Tillie to come back. Predict a breakout season for Petrusev

I'm telling you, when Tillie came back, people forgot about Filip. He had a very good game vs. Duke. This was a kid that played for the best high school team in the nation, and was offered by blue bloods and numerous other big time schools. They do need to straighten out his defense, but the staff proved they could do that with the work they did with Norvell.

Quote Originally Posted by MDABE80 View Post
    Plan is sound. Still though a PG or two sounds like a superior investment...till we get to the Dom and Suggs era. Although some might poo poo Brock, he can pass and shoot like a demon.
    I was just watching some video of him. It looks like his defense could use some work. He looks pretty small. Is he going to play you think as a freshman? Are Foster and Ayai good enough to play?

Are Foster and Ayai good enough to play?
    I do not know how others feel, but I have seen nothing at this point. It's possible if Foster sticks with it he might be good as an upperclassman, but only in a backup capacity. I think that some of Dom Harris' problems just simply have to do with the fact that up until January 2019, he basically could do anything he wished on the basketball floor. He is by FAR AND AWAY the greatest prep b-ball player in the history of southern Orange County. I know so because I grew up there. It's not a very good place for basketball, which is why he had to move to Rancho Christian. I secretly hope he still lists his hometown as Newport Beach. All of the physical capabilities are there. Great athleticism and lateral quickness. Cares about defense. Not sure what his length is. But yes, the ideal situation, I suppose, would be to have an upperclassman PG alongside him. Especially in practice.

Seth Davis, Jeff Goodman and Jeff Borzello of the athletic, stadium and espn respectively all have the zags in their top 8, as high as 5. All assume Clarke and rui go. And that Tillie returns. Maybe we are underestimating our chances for next year? The top teams as mentioned do not return a lot of guys.

I think some of these people are recognizing the pattern we've followed in many of the last 20 years whereby we would always be starting somewhere in the mid teens to early twenties and be ranked in the top 5 by the end of the non-conference. Apparently some people think the old way and some have caught on.
    Krozman
    GU student 1996-2000
    Law Student 2000-2003