Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Dream class?

Quote Originally Posted by phxfireflames View Post
    This was an interview with Strawther in February after his visit. Imo Gonzaga was the only school he naturally felt comfortable with. Other teams he discussed he gave a typically PR answer. Gonzaga at 4:15

https://youtu.be/ujnjRRYpO2s
    Liked the sound of that --

"If I'm being 100% honest, Gonzaga fits my game the best. They play free, open, and nobody scores like them in the country. I really liked my visit out there; they were cheering my name, it was crazy."

Very cool.

My concern with Julian is that he appears very close to multiple members of the Pondexter family-- they are of course UW people. Quincy and Myisha. He is responding to them about his decision and letting them know first, as well as liking responses by UW fans and no other fanbase. Unless he is duping everyone with his social media activity, he appears headed to UW. Hope i am wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by zagsfanforlife View Post
    My concern with Julian is that he appears very close to multiple members of the Pondexter family-- they are of course UW people. Quincy and Myisha. He is responding to them about his decision and letting them know first, as well as liking responses by UW fans and no other fanbase. Unless he is duping everyone with his social media activity, he appears headed to UW. Hope i am wrong.
    That would hurt. I also can’t understand the allure of a mediocre team that rarely makes the tournament.

Quote Originally Posted by zagsfanforlife View Post
    Julian will be a zag. I would almost guarantee it. He is looking for a national title and a team that fits a skill set UW does not do that. In 8 days I believe Zag Nation we'll get to welcome in one of their highest rated recruits ever.

Quote Originally Posted by Therunner View Post
    no inside info whatsoever.

Just basing it on trends and seeing his initial schools were Florida and Florida St. Assumed a preference and/or connection.
    thanks for clarifying .

Quote Originally Posted by caldwellzag View Post
    Julian will be a zag. I would almost guarantee it. He is looking for a national title and a team that fits a skill set UW does not do that. In 8 days I believe Zag Nation we'll get to welcome in one of their highest rated recruits ever.
    wouldn't start counting chickens just yet...the uw side is pretty confident they are in play.

Quote Originally Posted by ZagsObserver View Post
    That would hurt. I also can’t understand the allure of a mediocre team that rarely makes the tournament.
    Aren't they losing all five starters?

Quote Originally Posted by Bogozags View Post
    Aren't they losing all five starters?
    depends on if pac-12 poy jaylen nowell returns or not...he's not a likely first-round guy so there's a decent chance he's back.

Quote Originally Posted by WallaWallaZag View Post
    wouldn't start counting chickens just yet...the uw side is pretty confident they are in play.
    I am sure UW feels pretty good, but this is very similar to how Timme's recruitment went down, it wasn't known until the very end on where he was going to go, except to a select few people. I am just telling you what I have heard, take it for what it's worth.

I am not as connected as Caldwell is but I have heard that style of play is very important to Julian. Without a doubt, and from his own words, Gonzaga is a far better fit in that regard. I wouldn't say it's a slam dunk to GU, but I also don't have the true insights to make that call. I do think we are the most likely choice by connecting the dots though.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Vulture View Post
    I am not as connected as Caldwell is but I have heard that style of play is very important to Julian. Without a doubt, and from his own words, Gonzaga is a far better fit in that regard. I wouldn't say it's a slam dunk to GU, but I also don't have the true insights to make that call. I do think we are the most likely choice by connecting the dots though.
    I have some bad news. Apparently, regarding Strawther's commitment, even though I click this forum multiple times a day, the 18th just won't come any faster. I find this to be very concerning.

For what it's worth, Rivals analysts Corey Evans and Russ Wood have predicted Julian to GU within the last four days. Good sign.

https://n.rivals.com/content/prospec...strawther-3270
    Welcome to Zagdom

Quote Originally Posted by Snagglezag View Post
    For what it's worth, Rivals analysts Corey Evans and Russ Wood have predicted Julian to GU within the last four days. Good sign.

https://n.rivals.com/content/prospec...strawther-3270
    The 18th can't get here quick enough. I am sure Corey and Russ have heard similar things to what I have heard. Honestly, I would be shocked to see him commit somewhere else, but he is 17 and can throw everyone for a loop if he chooses.

Quote Originally Posted by caldwellzag View Post
    I am sure UW feels pretty good, but this is very similar to how Timme's recruitment went down, it wasn't known until the very end on where he was going to go, except to a select few people. I am just telling you what I have heard, take it for what it's worth.
    Even I was on pins and needles with Drew. It wasn't until he announced that he said the Zags were always his first choice.

I was intrigued to see Andrew Nembhard (freshman PG, Florida) declare for the NBA draft today. He was a long-time major target to be our PG. Of course he might not go, but it was interesting since he isn't a projected first rounder anywhere I could find, and isn't a projected draft pick at all on some drafts. Nembhard had a good year, but it's not as though he was garnering lots of attention or NBA hype.

It makes me think about the idea of the incoming 2020 "dream" class, or even our 2019 freshmen, with a slightly shorter timeframe. Perhaps it's increasingly naive or silly to think GU will land top-50 type players who will stay more than 2 years.

Quote Originally Posted by TexasZagFan View Post
    Even I was on pins and needles with Drew. It wasn't until he announced that he said the Zags were always his first choice.
    It kind of leaked in the last 48 hours but many of us were on pins and needles hoping the reports were not wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by LTownZag View Post
    I was intrigued to see Andrew Nembhard (freshman PG, Florida) declare for the NBA draft today. He was a long-time major target to be our PG. Of course he might not go, but it was interesting since he isn't a projected first rounder anywhere I could find, and isn't a projected draft pick at all on some drafts. Nembhard had a good year, but it's not as though he was garnering lots of attention or NBA hype.

It makes me think about the idea of the incoming 2020 "dream" class, or even our 2019 freshmen, with a slightly shorter timeframe. Perhaps it's increasingly naive or silly to think GU will land top-50 type players who will stay more than 2 years.
    That ship has pretty much left port with the departure of Josh and Jeremy. We're in the opening stages of a new era for Gonzaga hoops, where most players will be here two years, three tops. Nongrad transfers will likely be in the mold of Brandon Clarke, two years: redshirt one year in the Olynyk Clinic, with one actual season as a Zag. Then you'll have your occasional grad transfer, one year and out, filling a specific need the coaches have identified. The typical recruiting class will be filled with top 100 prospects, who see GU as the place to develop body and mind for the next level of competition, whether it be on a two or three year plan.

Obviously, many won't pan out/live up to expectations, but I look at the bright side. These young men will have had the opportunity to work with excellent coaches, while attending an exceptional university.

Our track record with player development is personified in the growth and success, of Kelly, Rui, Brandon, and others. I have little doubt that was a big selling point in getting the commitment of Oumar.

Quote Originally Posted by TexasZagFan View Post
    That ship has pretty much left port with the departure of Josh and Jeremy. We're in the opening stages of a new era for Gonzaga hoops, where most players will be here two years, three tops. Nongrad transfers will likely be in the mold of Brandon Clarke, two years: redshirt one year in the Olynyk Clinic, with one actual season as a Zag. Then you'll have your occasional grad transfer, one year and out, filling a specific need the coaches have identified. The typical recruiting class will be filled with top 100 prospects, who see GU as the place to develop body and mind for the next level of competition, whether it be on a two or three year plan.

Obviously, many won't pan out/live up to expectations, but I look at the bright side. These young men will have had the opportunity to work with excellent coaches, while attending an exceptional university.

Our track record with player development is personified in the growth and success, of Kelly, Rui, Brandon, and others. I have little doubt that was a big selling point in getting the commitment of Oumar.
    Likewise, Oumar might be a big selling point for GU.
    "I'm telling you Tillie knows how to play." - Mark Few

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by phxfireflames View Post

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
    Dom started the conversation.
    "I'm telling you Tillie knows how to play." - Mark Few

Smile

"No cap" meaning "no limits," yes? "Tuff?"

:]

<Help, somebody out there who's sixteen, please.>
    Yeah, we're "The Champs," uh-huh!

I think what he’s saying is that the 3 of them together would be so bad a$$ that they could bring GU a national title and that statement is not an exaggeration. Saying no cap as in not lying or not even a huge outlandish thing to put out there.