Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Dream class?

Default Dream class?

Suggs, Strawther, Harris....a dream backcourt and a dream class? How viable?

Quote Originally Posted by jazzdelmar View Post
    Not just dream class, but dream combo 2 years in a row. We've had debates about our best individual class ever, but back to back that would hands down be our beat two year haul. Maybe the best we will ever have, especially with how they compliment each other.

Quote Originally Posted by jazzdelmar View Post
    The staff has done their work and put in the effort to make sure these two classes complement each other perfectly. Both will be Top 10 classes in the country.

Suggs looks to be in the mold of Jayson Tatum.. even looks like him kind of. Based on his "likes" on Twitter and follows, my detective mind infers he is a UW lean, but Caldwell seems to have the inside scoop.

I personally would be thrilled with even a Suggs/Harris backcourt. Watson and Kispert can hold down the three for the next two years and I am sure others will arise if Strawther passes. Of course would love him with Harris and Suggs.. 1-3 who all have pro potential plus that loaded front court class..

Suggs is the main one. This program needs a stud PG to take them to promise land and it appears Suggs is the real deal

Quote Originally Posted by zagsfanforlife View Post
    Suggs looks to be in the mold of Jayson Tatum.. even looks like him kind of. Based on his "likes" on Twitter and follows, my detective mind infers he is a UW lean, but Caldwell seems to have the inside scoop.

I personally would be thrilled with even a Suggs/Harris backcourt. Watson and Kispert can hold down the three for the next two years and I am sure others will arise if Strawther passes. Of course would love him with Harris and Suggs.. 1-3 who all have pro potential plus that loaded front court class..

Suggs is the main one. This program needs a stud PG to take them to promise land and it appears Suggs is the real deal
    I agree that Suggs is a huge priority. 100% think he is a game changer. Him and Harris makes me dream of Final Fours. Why Strawther is so critical in this equation is he is a 3-4 year guy (most likely) and we need someone who can score from all over the court with Harris and Suggs distributing the ball. I do not disagree that UW was the front runner for a long time in his recruitment (especially early), but there was a huge shift once he started taking visits. His family loved GU when they visited and GU offers the best on the court opportunities for him as well. I could be wrong here, but the people I talk to seem to think we are in for some good news on the 18th, I have been hinting about it for a few weeks now with just little things, but now that he put it out there here you go. Dom Harris also seems to think it is a done deal to GU, check out some of his tweets.

This should be in the bold predictions category but after watching quite a number of Ballo clips I’m going way out there and predicting at some point we will hear “Ballo is Gonzaga’s Zion”. This guy is going to be a beast.
    To Fish & Game: Keep streams stocked well for Mr. Few!

I will say it (and I’m not usually given to hyperbole): if we land Suggs (and barring injuries) we will go the FF in either his first or second year (if he stays). That is how good this pipeline is. OTOH, next year is going to be hairy.

Quote Originally Posted by tyra View Post
    I will say it (and I’m not usually given to hyperbole): if we land Suggs (and barring injuries) we will go the FF in either his first or second year (if he stays). That is how good this pipeline is. OTOH, next year is going to be hairy.
    Assuming recruiting goes well and there are no major injuries/transfers out:

2019 - Rebuilding year, decent chance of missing the tournament
    2020 - Dangerous team, but still young especially at the guard position
    2021 - Top 5 team, widely-acknowledged FF pick

Quote Originally Posted by strikenowhere View Post

There is no way we miss the NCAA tournament this coming year whether we get a point guard transfer or not. Come on now..we will be young but still very good.

The 2019 recruiting class rivals what Oregon put together last year. Only reason Oregon struggled to make the tourney is due to the injuries they had all year. We will be in the tourney it's just how will the seed next to our name look.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Vulture View Post
    There is no way we miss the NCAA tournament this coming year whether we get a point guard transfer or not. Come on now..we will be young but still very good.
    I said a decent chance, not 100% certainty that its going to happen. The team is going to be almost 50% freshman with six new faces, plus hopefully a grad transfer at point. The team is just so RAW. Assuming Tillie is a goner, its going to be difficult for Norvell, Kispert, & Petrusev to carry the team.

EDIT: I know there is a of talent coming in, but to expect kids that are NOT top 5 players to immediately fill the holes left by two future NBA'ers and two future Euro-pros is just an awful lot to ask. It just seems that people need to tamp their expectations down for 2019.

I said a decent chance, not 100% certainty that its going to happen. The team is going to be almost 50% freshman with six new faces, plus hopefully a grad transfer at point. The team is just so RAW. Assuming Tillie is a goner, its going to be difficult for Norvell, Kispert, & Petrusev to carry the team.

EDIT: I know there is a of talent coming in, but to expect kids that are NOT top 5 players to immediately fill the holes left by two future NBA'ers and two future Euro-pros is just an awful lot to ask. It just seems that people need to tamp their expectations down for 2019.
    Expecting to win the WCC and make the NCAA tournament with the #5 national recruiting class is not out of the realm really. I understand our losses but I fully expect Norvell back, Petrusev to take a big step, Kispert to surprise, plus the incoming group. By the way, I believe we do this while losing three NBA guys (Clarke, Rui, Tillie) plus Perkins.

Quote Originally Posted by caldwellzag View Post
    The 2019 recruiting class rivals what Oregon put together last year. Only reason Oregon struggled to make the tourney is due to the injuries they had all year. We will be in the tourney it's just how will the seed next to our name look.
    How about a 12 seed! I'll take it..

Go Zags

Quote Originally Posted by Zaga View Post
    How about a 12 seed! I'll take it..

Go Zags
    They did get a 12 seed, but when you look at their season injuries played a big role on how it worked out. We will be a top 6 seed in my opinion!

If we don't pick up a grad transfer guard, we might not stay in the top 25, but I'd be shocked if we missed the tournament.
    I will thank God for the day and the moment I have. - Jimmy V

As raw as the talent might be coming in... just too much talent to say they'd miss the tourney. Wayyyy too much talent coming in. Petrusev IMHO is poised to make a HUGE HUGE leap as well.
    "And Morrison? He did what All-Americans do. He shot daggers in the daylight and stole a win." - Steve Kelley (Seattle Times)

"Gonzaga is a special place, with special people!" - Dan Dickau #21

Foo me once shame on you, Foo me twice shame on me.

2012 Foostrodamus - Foothsayer of Death

I agree that Suggs is a huge priority. 100% think he is a game changer. Him and Harris makes me dream of Final Fours. Why Strawther is so critical in this equation is he is a 3-4 year guy (most likely) and we need someone who can score from all over the court with Harris and Suggs distributing the ball. I do not disagree that UW was the front runner for a long time in his recruitment (especially early), but there was a huge shift once he started taking visits. His family loved GU when they visited and GU offers the best on the court opportunities for him as well. I could be wrong here, but the people I talk to seem to think we are in for some good news on the 18th, I have been hinting about it for a few weeks now with just little things, but now that he put it out there here you go. Dom Harris also seems to think it is a done deal to GU, check out some of his tweets.
    I thought only Strawther was announcing on the 18th, not Suggs. Isn't that the case?

Since he's a both a point guard (which is by far the biggest lineup hole) and higher rated, do you think Suggs would be significantly more impactful than Strawther? Does one follow the other?

Quote Originally Posted by LTownZag View Post
    I thought only Strawther was announcing on the 18th, not Suggs. Isn't that the case?

Since he's a both a point guard (which is by far the biggest lineup hole) and higher rated, do you think Suggs would be significantly more impactful than Strawther? Does one follow the other?
    Suggs is not announcing on the 18th, only Strawther. One is a pure scorer (Strawther) one is a NWG type point guard (Suggs). But have a place at GU and I believe that Strawther will verbal on the 18th to GU and Suggs will follow shortly after. Strawther, Harris, and Suggs is what we are pushing for and those three would also like to play together.

Point guard might be our biggest need for next year, but Ravet is a capable PG, so not sure I would say our biggest hole in 2020.

Suggs is not announcing on the 18th, only Strawther. One is a pure scorer (Strawther) one is a NWG type point guard (Suggs). But have a place at GU and I believe that Strawther will verbal on the 18th to GU and Suggs will follow shortly after. Strawther, Harris, and Suggs is what we are pushing for and those three would also like to play together.

Point guard might be our biggest need for next year, but Ravet is a capable PG, so not sure I would say our biggest hole in 2020.

Thanks!

It would be great from a fan/likability/rooting perspective to have 3 freshman coming in all together who are all excited to team and up who knew or communicated and looked up to Zags b-ball while high school juniors. I'm not sure if such a cohort has ever come to Gonzaga before, but I'd find it easier than ever to cheer on a team like that and follow along as they grew together.

(It's so much more fun rooting for a team like GU or NOVA than a team like UK or Duke with annual turnover.)

Glancing at the chart and it looks like someone would have to leave early for there to be 3 spots?

Quote Originally Posted by ZagzKrak View Post
    Glancing at the chart and it looks like someone would have to leave early for there to be 3 spots?
    Scholarships are year to year. It is possible someone could transfer out. It wouldn't be the first time a player left for another team. Sometimes players just call it quits too.

Jesse Wade, Ryan Edwards, Jacob Larsen, Bryan Alberts, Angel Nunez, Luke Meikle, Ryan Spangler, Mathis Monninghoff, Mathis Keita, Demetri Goodson, Manny Arop, Andy Poling, Grant Gibbs, G.J. Vilarino, Bol Kong, Larry Gurganious and Theo Davis. I'm sure Gonzaga will have room for a transfer.
    " You gotta love the one who loves you "

I think we have a chance with Suggs, yet pretty certain Strawther is Florida-bound.

Kansas making a late, spirited push though.

Still, his initial interest was Florida schools, just feel like it was his 1st Choice.

Suggs is also a long-shot...Rivals & 247 are convinced he is going to end up with a Big10/regional team.

This was an interview with Strawther in February after his visit. Imo Gonzaga was the only school he naturally felt comfortable with. Other teams he discussed he gave a typically PR answer. Gonzaga at 4:15

https://youtu.be/ujnjRRYpO2s

Quote Originally Posted by Therunner View Post
    I think we have a chance with Suggs, yet pretty certain Strawther is Florida-bound.

Kansas making a late, spirited push though.

Still, his initial interest was Florida schools, just feel like it was his 1st Choice.

Suggs is also a long-shot...Rivals & 247 are convinced he is going to end up with a Big10/regional team.
    so, this goes against what i've been hearing on multiple sites from multiple people who claim to be following this closely and have proven the quality of their source(s) previously -- and some of which have actually interviewed strawther. so, do you have any inside information? or are you just reading the same stuff as the rest of us random board members and giving your opinion?

Quote Originally Posted by soccerdud View Post
    so, this goes against what i've been hearing on multiple sites from multiple people who claim to be following this closely and have proven the quality of their source(s) previously -- and some of which have actually interviewed strawther. so, do you have any inside information? or are you just reading the same stuff as the rest of us random board members and giving your opinion?
    no inside info whatsoever.

Just basing it on trends and seeing his initial schools were Florida and Florida St. Assumed a preference and/or connection.