Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Is Gonzaga's National Championship window closing?

Default Is Gonzaga's National Championship window closing?

Thoughts from the Spokesman-Reviews John Blanchette:

http://www.spokesman.com/stories/201...s-cloudy-thro/

I’m an optimist, the best days are ahead of us. Recruiting continues to improve, as are facilities.

Irrational pessimism. Maybe just click bait? But makes no sense. Zags are as close as ever. And not going away anytime soon. Absurd comparison w/Butler....why not throw in Saint Joe, VCU, Geo Mason, Sister Loyola and other NCAA one hit wonders?

Quote Originally Posted by jazzdelmar View Post
    Irrational pessimism. Maybe just click bait? But makes no sense. Zags are as close as ever. And not going away anytime soon. Absurd comparison w/Butler....why not throw in Saint Joe, VCU, Geo Mason, Sister Loyola and other NCAA one hit wonders?
    Agree with you, Jazz. Coaching staff is learning to adjust with the new dynamic of increased rate of turnover. Instead of players staying for 3-4 years, it’s now trending towards 2-3 years, with a few one year wonders in the mix.

Window is wide open. Few is recruiting better than at any point in his career.

I was hearing this same narrative about Virginia a year ago.
    I miss Mike Hart

Running low on angles...big stretch

Quote Originally Posted by Zagceo View Post
    Running low on angles...big stretch
    Don't they have other sports to report on, now that basketball season is over?

Quote Originally Posted by TexasZagFan View Post
    Don't they have other sports to report on, now that basketball season is over?
    Chiefs just beat Silvertips in first round of WHL playoffs...hockey for
    those outside the 509

I didn't read this the same as you guys did. It really didn't seem to make a statement either way. Just seemed to me to lay out what thoughts are and the use of Butler didn't seem as a direct comparison to me.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

If Jazz, CEO, myself and everyone here are in agreement you know that Johnnie is out of work to do.
    21 Straight Big Dances

11 Straight Round of 32s

10 Sweet Sixteens (5 Straight)

4 Elite Eights

2017 FINAL FOUR

2 Winningest Players in college basketball history (Karnowski 137, Perkins 134)

The Best Point Guard to ever play the game: John Stockton, most assists, most steals.

Agreed. This was an odd tone from Blanchette since he has been a pro GU writer from Day one.

It will be interesting to see what happens with the graduate transfer rule. I think the window is still wide open as it is for many programs. Hopefully GU will squeeze through the crowded open window one year. The tourney is still a crapshoot. Izzo is still looking for # 2.

Winning experience counts. We will have fewer people who have been there done that than ever before starting next year.

+1

I think this thread is more clickbaitish than the original article. Blanchette notes that Butler lost potentially the best coach in college basketball to the NBA. Few is still here. He may be right in that we may be at the height or just on the downhill of a high tide, but every program has relative peaks and valleys. Graduate transfers and Euros are what really enabled this current run to happen. We still are a top Euro place, if not more and we will see what happens with grad transfers. The level of talent seriously escalated with the Karnowski commitment.

Blanchette never suggested the window was closing....it fact....the whole point of the article was that ….it ended for Butler when Stevens left …..and Few is still here...…. so the Program has advanced in the last few years...... and is likely to continue improving...

I have no idea if they will ever win a National Championship....it is a crap shoot and you can crap out at anytime even when your number is 6 or 8..... and it doesn't matter to me if they do or don't...the fact is that they are contenders...and have a chance nearly every year... they are relevant...just ask Jimmy Kimmel ...

John having a bad day. And reflected in his article. We’re in the relentless pursuit of a title. Overall the players are better than ever but we seem to be 1 or two players short of a title that can be obtain d with a smidge more luck. Fluke article from John. No rational person (on any given day) could write that article without tongue in cheek.

Bart, his final words seem ominous however.

But keep your eyes on that window.

Quote Originally Posted by bartruff1 View Post
    Blanchette never suggested the window was closing....it fact....the whole point of the article was that ….it ended for Butler when Stevens left …..and Few is still here...…. so the Program has advanced in the last few years...... and is likely to continue improving...

I have no idea if they will ever win a National Championship....it is a crap shoot and you can crap out at anytime even when your number is 6 or 8..... and it doesn't matter to me if they do or don't...the fact is that they are contenders...and have a chance nearly every year... they are relevant...just ask Jimmy Kimmel ...

It will be interesting to see how any new rules regarding transfer/graduate transfer, one and done, and early entry canidates being able to return to school could affect our place in the hoops world.

Betteridge's Law of Headlines:

"Any headline that ends in a question mark can be answered by the word no."

You guys got something out of that article that I didn't.

I have been told that despite what that NY Times report says, the NCAA commish doesn't favor changing the NCAA grad transfer rules at ALL. A couple of major college basketball analysts posted about this.

I appropriated the title of this thread from a large headline on page one of the Sunday Spokesman-Review sports section. Clickbait or not, I read the article on the sports page as I do most anything that has to do with Gonzaga basketball. Perhaps the thread title is misleading but I assumed there are any number of folks here who will, as is the case with me, read all things Zags.

See this link: https://spokesmanreview-wa.newsmemor...lDate=20190407

Click on Sports section

No. Zags just got an Elite 8 and 5 S16s in a row. How were the 5 seasons before that? And the season’s before those? Looks like a pretty enviable trend towards a NC to me. Plus, 99% of the fun is getting there. Once the Zags win a NC there will be dancing in the streets of Spokane.

We’re not the only program out there reaching for a NC. Who gets there any season is dependent on a host of factors. To jabber about any window closing or opening is, IMHO, pretty pointless. Absolutely no one has a crystal ball on this stuff. I just look at the trend. It looks damn sweet! And, so what! We got to watch both our GU guys and gals play into March beyond the WCC. I’m more interested in the next KITK than a NC now. Bring on the next batch of great guys & gals and may all those players not returning to play have the best of good fortunes going forward! Thank you, thank you, thank you! Go Zags!
    http://www.fowlplaces.com/zags/GoZagsTinySignGuyGlassesColor.png

Butler has suffered not just because Stevens departed, but because they joined the Big East. A lot more competition in the BE than the Horizon. And yet being in the Horizon didn't keep Stevens from taking them to back to back title games. You may have also noticed that Wichita State hasn't been the same since they joined the American, despite the fact that Marshall is still there.