View Poll Results: Who wins the 2019 national title game

Voters
40. You may not vote on this poll
  • Virginia

20 50.00%
  • Texas Tech

20 50.00%
Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567

Thread: OFFICIAL GAME THREAD: NCAA TOURNEY, NATIONAL TITLE GAME, MONDAY, APRIL 8

Quote Originally Posted by JPtheBeasta View Post
    It’s ironic that a pivotal play was turnover in OT when the Texas Texh player was hit on the arm, causing him to lose his dribble, then a referee review changed the out of bounds call to give the ball to Virginia.
    I’m sure Coach Few is distraught for TTU.

Congrats to Bennett and the Cavs, really happy to see him get a Championship. Surprising the number of points put up in this game, never mind it being OT. Figured this would be in the low 50's, not high 60's.

But enough Zion to choke a horse.
    LoL

Much better game than I was expecting. Thankfully. Congrats to the Cavaliers. That means only one Blue Blood has won this thing in the past 4 years. I like that.

Now we just gotta get a non power conference team on that podium. Aka GU.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Quote Originally Posted by Coach Few
    We are not here as a #%$&%&! Courtesy!!!

Quote Originally Posted by MJ777 View Post
    Where was BC’s put back slam vs FSU? Now that was a shining moment.
    I think the GU fan in the crowd with his hands on his stunned face was the reaction to that dunk maybe??

Quote Originally Posted by CDC84 View Post
    And please let this be a warning to kids all over. When you are the stud of the team, and a projected lottery selection, you do not pull up, Steph Curry-style, for a contested long range jumper when all your team needs to win a basketball game is a single point. There are too many college basketball players, or for that matter, high school players, who are not understanding that a 23 foot jumper is a lower percentage shot than taking it to the rim where you can not only score, but create easy shots for your teammates, and also give your teammates a better chance at an offensive rebound. You can also get fouled. I hate to say it, but Culver ended up on a "what not to do" highlight reel while the possession before he showed what you should do.
    Pretty spot on. That shot was a terrible decision and changed everything. They had a bunch of ways to pull a W if he'd taken it to the rim. Feels like we never saw the real Culver, or maybe we did. He's got potential, but he's not MJ just yet. Grr.

Also, and I hate to say it, but I don't think the Zags could beat Virginia tonight or in a series. They're too clutch with the clock winding down and seem to relish it. Jerome, Hunter, Gay, Diakinte - all ballers. They should have lost well before reaching the title game, and probably should have lost this one but for Culver's hero ball, but found a way to win and make clutch shots and stops when Tech could not. Not a high octane offense, but a very efficient one.
    “We’re not here as a %&#* courtesy!" - Coach Few

Virginia made their shots when it counted, and especially from the line. Our shots were not falling going into the stretch.
    To Fish & Game: Keep streams stocked well for Mr. Few!

my take away from this game is that with the way the NCAA game is presently structured, and called, defense oriented teams have the edge,
    also top D1 teams will consider defenses like the two we have seen, and the 'handsi-ness" of TTU is to a considerable degree a focus of the program, not just quick athletes, and I don't know why other teams would not go for this themselves

my other take away is the TexasT and UV had players that showed up and made big play after big play in total crunch time.
    and I will admit UV pulled victory out of the jaws of defeat in the amazing way, very similar to Calvary's tip in 2000, for its previous two games, and this may color my thinking. If any of you get the chance to view the last 3 minutes of Virginia's Final Four and Elite 8 games [if you haven't already], you will see that either of these games would have gone down in legendary lore in Zag Nation. I am sure it will go down as legendary lore among the Cav fans. I don't know to what we should attribute the many, many big plays in the crisis of the last two minutes. Individual focus, and how much credit should go to coaches and program? I can't answer.
    the only zag I can compare to rising over and over again to make big plays on the biggest stage is Ammo.

This familiar and now totally accepted mantra that “you have to have pros” to win the thing, that was shot down, wasn’t it? How many pros in the game? Two and a half, maybe. Hunter, yes; Culver, probably; Jerome/Guy, maybe. GU had more on its own roster. Take that to the cliche store, for a refund.

As for that great Cav backcourt, Guy and Jerome were 4 stars; Guy was a McD, however; Kihei Clark was a 3 star.

Quote Originally Posted by jazzdelmar View Post
    This familiar and now totally accepted mantra that “you have to have pros” to win the thing, that was shot down, wasn’t it? How many pros in the game? Two and a half, maybe. Hunter, yes; Culver, probably; Jerome/Guy, maybe. GU had more on its own roster. Take that to the cliche store, for a refund.

As for that great Cav backcourt, Guy and Jerome were 4 stars; Guy was a McD, however; Kihei Clark was a 3 star.
    You can also dump in the trashcan the concept of "freedom of movement." It's a ruse, talked about in November, with quite a few calls made. Once P6 conference play began, whistles were swallowed, and "freedom of movement" was shelved.

Quote Originally Posted by Zagceo View Post
    can't believe Zag fans have nothing to say on this forum..
    Can't speak for others ….but for me the negativity after a loss, especially the season ending loss is annoying …. finger pointing and blaming the coaches, the players, the officials ….. who likes whining.. ???

As soon as people get over it...... and realize what a terrific season it was …….and start focusing on the future......more fans will post...

Quote Originally Posted by TexasZagFan View Post
    You can also dump in the trashcan the concept of "freedom of movement." It's a ruse, talked about in November, with quite a few calls made. Once P6 conference play began, whistles were swallowed, and "freedom of movement" was shelved.
    Many would disagree, to wit, how about one Zion Williamson and his "freedom of movement", just ask CFU about it.
    Birddog

Twas brillig, and the slithy toves
    Did gyre and gimble in the wabe:
    All mimsy were the borogoves,
    And the mome raths outgrabe.

Quote Originally Posted by TexasZagFan View Post
    new era defense in basketball...remember when football coaches started practicing stripping the ball on defense...its now a basketball thing.

watch guards practice holding the ball like a football tucked under armpit when driving to the hoop to prevent stripping.

Pat Riley thug BB has come to the NCAA...

- my two cents worth, from a fan who was pulling for texas tech
    1. culver pull up 3 pointer, poor decision, should have taken the ball to the rim, make shot or hope for a foul
    2. culver left hunter 100% completely open (easy pass) and open (no defensive pressure), for why?????????? to close out on the dribble drive, when one he was two dribbles too late, and so what if the uva player made a layin, you still have the lead and the ball with 18 seconds left. the defensive mantra at that point had to be protect the 3 point line, no easy open 3 point shots can be allowed. (discipline, it is hard to learn and apply)

- culver is going to have a hard time shaking these thoughts off, but I wish him well.

- agree with prior post, Virginia played very well, made clutch shots and plays...all through the tournament. not just championship game. well done Virginia.

Quote Originally Posted by GonzaGAW View Post
    - my two cents worth, from a fan who was pulling for texas tech
    1. culver pull up 3 pointer, poor decision, should have taken the ball to the rim, make shot or hope for a foul
    2. culver left hunter 100% completely open (easy pass) and open (no defensive pressure), for why?????????? to close out on the dribble drive, when one he was two dribbles too late, and so what if the uva player made a layin, you still have the lead and the ball with 18 seconds left. the defensive mantra at that point had to be protect the 3 point line, no easy open 3 point shots can be allowed. (discipline, it is hard to learn and apply)

- culver is going to have a hard time shaking these thoughts off, but I wish him well.

- agree with prior post, Virginia played very well, made clutch shots and plays...all through the tournament. not just championship game. well done Virginia.
    This is it for me. Sure, lots of individual plays throughout the game. But as UVA was bringing the ball up the court on this possession, I'm thinking - just don't allow a 3 and you are in control of the game for the last 15 seconds. Risky decision that ended up not paying off and possibly cost TT a national championship.

Quote Originally Posted by gonstu View Post
    This is it for me. Sure, lots of individual plays throughout the game. But as UVA was bringing the ball up the court on this possession, I'm thinking - just don't allow a 3 and you are in control of the game for the last 15 seconds. Risky decision that ended up not paying off and possibly cost TT a national championship.
    With the depth and talent we'll have in the front court next year, staying at home and guarding the three should be a focal point of our defense. IMO, with our offense, we'll never get beat by another team making 2's. It's always the 3 ball that seems to be our downfall.

Let the big guys protect the rim, while the perimeter defenders gravitate towards those open beyond the arc.

Quote Originally Posted by jazzdelmar View Post

I agree and disagree with you on this jazzer.

What's happened is that CBS and ESPN (in order to have something to hype), as well as several analysts, have hugely exaggerated the amount of NBA players, 5 star players, etc., that you need on your team in order to win the national title. People have gotten seduced by these Calipari and Coach K type teams that are filled with one and done freshmen who have little to zero experience around them. They have also lost sight of the value of having upperclassmen who the coach and program developed into NBA players. Like, say, Maryland's Juan Dixon, my all-time favorite college basketball player. Or in the case of Gonzaga, say, Kelly Olynyk.

However, the truth remains that no one has won a national championship since 1987 without having a single first round pick. And of course that 1987 Indiana team was also coached by Bob Knight, who, like him or not, could make a rec league player perform like a first team AA at the final four.

Also, since the McDonald's game started, only two teams have won the national title without having at least one McDonald's AA player. UConn (in a severely down college basketball season) and Maryland under Gary Williams (who developed several pros, including Dixon). Maryland also had the advantage of being in the final 4 the previous season. They wanted revenge. It's no secret that the 2017 Gonzaga team, which came within a whisker of winning it all against a very talented UNC team (better than either of last night's teams), had two Burger Boys in Nigel and Zach Collins. Zach became a lottery pick and it looks like JWIII is carving out a niche for himself in the NBA. And Nigel was an elite dynamic point guard (critical to deep tourney success in most years and cases). I still say he's a NBA player, regardless of what the stupid scouts think. Karno has more wins that any player in D1 history. And if Tillie can ever prove that he can stay healthy, he too will be in the NBA. His game is perfect for the modern game.

So I still strongly believe that teams who possess 2 or 3 NBA players (especially two first rounders) have a much greater chance of winning the title than their less talented counterparts. History has proven it. Go back 30 years. There will always be an exception or two, but I believe in going with what has been proven to work over time. Gonzaga should be pursuing as much high end talent as possible. Fortunately for them, the players they do get tend to stick around for the most part.

But the people who feel you need to have a Calicrapi type roster in order to win the dance have clearly been disproven. They've overinflated the amount of NBA talent that you must have, and again, have denied the value of having upperclassmen who became pros through the process of college basketball development.

CD, all I see is agreement, no disagreement.