Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678

Thread: The Answer at PG: Brock Ravet

Quote Originally Posted by LongIslandZagFan View Post
    And I don't have enough hands to count the complaints from other posters about you. I think you need to take a long look at how you post. You have good things to say, but it gets lost in your demeanor. I don't know why I should stop being a mod in your eyes... but if there is a mod that will argue against banning anyone for extended periods of time... it is me. Just my advice... take it or leave it... stick to content and stop arguing with literally everyone. Those three posts you complained about, they should be a wake-up call... it gives you insight into how a large number of people view your attitude... it is just that they were vocal about it publicly... many more do it privately. As I said, you have good things to say, you have been around a long time, dial it back a couple notches and focus on basketball.
    +1

Quote Originally Posted by former1dog View Post
    For the record, I'm to the right of Ghengis Khan in my political views. Every single moderator knows this about me, BIG TIME (especially LIZF ). It is a non issue.
    Yep, pretty well established fact on that one. While there are others who are further to the right of f1d (two immediately come to mind), it's not a big list. In the good news, regardless of political differences, most of us are able to get along just fine, especially now that the OCC is gone to keep us from arguing with each other all the time. Now we can focus on our common love for Gonzaga basketball, and not on those other things. I'm quite happy that this is one place I know that I can come and not have to deal with all of the political nonsense going around.
    I will thank God for the day and the moment I have. - Jimmy V

Quote Originally Posted by Hoopaholic View Post
    how Brock doing in his gym work outs...excited to see him on the court
    What level of HS ball did Dickau play? To those here who know- and I think that is you, as one?

I suppose if one wanted to model how to play coming out of HS, DD and KP would be two excellent models, Gary Bell Jr. being another. None of those 3 were athletic freaks, but Gary did work his tail off on defense, may be our best off the ball defender ever.

I really want BRavet to come out of the gates fast and play. I fear that many of us are putting unrealistic expectations on him. But, the other thing - having nothing to do with Brock, is that it's been since Perk since we recruited a guard out of high school that could really play. IIRC. So, there's some more unfair pressure on him.
    Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.
    Mark Twain.

Quote Originally Posted by webspinnre View Post
    Yep, pretty well established fact on that one. While there are others who are further to the right of f1d (two immediately come to mind), it's not a big list. In the good news, regardless of political differences, most of us are able to get along just fine, especially now that the OCC is gone to keep us from arguing with each other all the time. Now we can focus on our common love for Gonzaga basketball, and not on those other things. I'm quite happy that this is one place I know that I can come and not have to deal with all of the political nonsense going around.
    I enjoyed the OCC but am better for it being gone, on a personal level. People I butted heads with over there are good people.

Quote Originally Posted by DixieZag View Post
    What level of HS ball did Dickau play?
    3a I'm fairly sure (Prairie HS I think, w/ Zach Gourde as a teammate). Lost to Mercer Island w/ Elliot Prasse-Freeman (Harvard) and Josh Fisher (St Louis U) in the state tourney.

As to unrealistic expectations of Brock, I suppose I could be called one of those. But from seeing him play, I have a feeling he welcomes those, and probably has them of himself.

On the topic of someone posting under multiple names, it wasn't spy. In the thread someone referenced about telling the board something about yourself, a very knowledgeable poster w/ inside info stated that he had over 1500 posts under each of 4 screen names.

That poster's substance in terms of what he has to say (generally excellent, but slightly prone to hyperbole imo) and syntactic style are pretty unmistakable.

Quote Originally Posted by maynard g krebs View Post
    3a I'm fairly sure (Prairie HS I think, w/ Zach Gourde as a teammate). Lost to Mercer Island w/ Elliot Prasse-Freeman (Harvard) and Josh Fisher (St Louis U) in the state tourney.

As to unrealistic expectations of Brock, I suppose I could be called one of those. But from seeing him play, I have a feeling he welcomes those, and probably has them of himself.
    Do you worry that it is unfair to expect any Frosh guard to come in and start in Few's offense?

I worry we're not putting realistic expectations on him.

Some of it just isn't his doing, it's not his fault it's been a while since we had a guard come in and make a difference. Nor is it his fault he's small school.

I want him with the least pressure possible. Glad to hear he's on campus already, though not surprised.
    Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.
    Mark Twain.

Do you worry that it is unfair to expect any Frosh guard to come in and start in Few's offense?
    I'm not worried about a Fr. guard in Few's offense simply because it has happened multiple times in the past with Blake Stepp and Kevin Pangos coming to mind immediately. Both of those players have something in common with Ravet as they were both coaches sons.

The caveat is that this is speculation. I'm allowing in my expectations that Ravet might not be able to make the adjustment as quickly to D1 ball or maybe not at all. But what I wish for and what I REALLY think is going to happen is that we're all going to be pleasantly surprised and those with doubts will have their minds changed by his perfomance on the court no later than mid December. Fingers crossed and work hard, Mr. Ravet, work hard!!

I worry we're not putting realistic expectations on him.

Some of it just isn't his doing, it's not his fault it's been a while since we had a guard come in and make a difference. Nor is it his fault he's small school.

I want him with the least pressure possible. Glad to hear he's on campus already, though not surprised.
    The guys who turn out to be good won't be intimidated by, nor concerned with, the expectations of a soon-to-be 65 year old pickup ball player whose greatest basketball achievements were in college intramurals. And if he isn't as good out of the box as I and some others think/hope, I'll speak supportive words and preach patience. I'd bet he'd prefer high expectations to those of the posters who say he isn't ready. Just my opinion.

As to pressure, I like to remember the words of my all time favorite golfer, Lee Trevino, a dirt poor Tex-Mex kid who learned golf by sneaking onto a nearby course at dawn and dusk to play with a broken five iron he found in the woods. Asked about pressure when in contention for his first US Open title going into Sunday's final round, Trevino laughed and said "Pressure? This isn't pressure. Pressure is when you're playing some guy for a hundred dollars, and you don't have a hundred dollars in your pocket." He won his first title the next day.

The kid in question is a baller, imo. I think the way he played v Suggs' team speaks volumes.

If I recall, 247Sports had Norvell higher in their composite score but had Brock higher by their people (if I understand their layout). Most of my apprehensions are based on what other people have said. I expect big things out of him.

Quote Originally Posted by thespywhozaggedme View Post
    Really? Really? I was literally called "trash" by another poster and not only did another mod not say anything, Reno said that he wished my ban was permanent. The only poster that called out the guy that called me trash was Zagceo, he was the only one. Not one mod, including you said anything to that poster. In the past 2 days I have been called a saboteur, loudmouth, loser, troll, etc. Several posts (including the ones in this thread that were finally deleted by a mod) were specifically about me, completely unprovoked by the way. I started a new thread in the whelping box, promising to not say anything negative and I kept my word, yet within 15 minutes, three more posts were about me. And you come here to scold me? I know 100% that it's because I'm openly conservative and you and Reno are to the left of Chairman Mao, you can deny it, but I know it in my heart. You do not moderate equally and this board eats its own worse than any other board because of it. I'm going to stop posting because of you and Reno and as I said before, you should take a break from being a mod..
    I still think you should have been banned permanently. During the month you were on hiatus, the GUB was a relatively benign place. You return and it's Chernobyl.

If I had the ability to ban you permanently I would. I have said as much in PM's to other moderators; I'll confirm it here publicly for all to see: The GUB was better off without you.

On the topic of someone posting under multiple names, it wasn't spy. In the thread someone referenced about telling the board something about yourself, a very knowledgeable poster w/ inside info stated that he had over 1500 posts under each of 4 screen names.

That poster's substance in terms of what he has to say (generally excellent, but slightly prone to hyperbole imo) and syntactic style are pretty unmistakable.
    Thank you for confirming that, with the important detail change. I was starting to think I dreamed up the whole thing.

Quote Originally Posted by former1dog View Post
    Me too!!

I think it got lost in the hullabaloo, but I am confident that Brock is in a gym right now working on lateral quickness drills!! (I have zero inside info, I'm just confident that that is what he is doing )
    Sweet. Will help with his defense and first step to hole
    Basketball...The Toy Department of Life

Don't mess wth happy...Coach Few