Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast
Results 26 to 50 of 188

Thread: The Answer at PG: Brock Ravet

  1. #26
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    136

    Default

    Hope you are right,dog, but I’m dubious. We all know how important good defense is from all positions. He must have know his defense was a problem, so why didn’t it improve over last year? And please, let’s not say he was focusing on offense cause that is what his team needed. If he can’t play hard at both ends that is a whole other problem. Nor are saving his fouls a good excuse. At least play hard defense until you pick up a couple. At the level he was playing at he should be able to play good defense without fouling. He certainly has some strengths, and I hope I am wrong.

  2. #27
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    6,932

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by zagdontzig View Post
    Am I the only crazy person who thought Zach Norvell demonstrated serviceable court vision?
    Zack is a Ferrari....not sure he wants to be a Van.....and haul everyone around...

  3. #28
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Bainbridge Island
    Posts
    1,108

    Default I hope you are right F1D

    Call me a Brock skeptic. I have seen all the videos and highlights and the descriptions of his game. He can shoot I will give him that. He can pass some too, but even here I don't see him as on the level of Perkins and certainly not someone like Bouldin.

    But at this point he lacks quickness, foot speed, and D-1 level strength, and he does not appear to have quick hands on defense like the kind we saw from Texas Tech.

    I think the staff has had an epiphany in recent years that defense is as important as offense, and we cannot have anyone who is a significant defensive liability on the floor. Elite D-1 guards will routinely leave Brock with broken ankles or with his shorts on the floor and I am not sure any amount of drills or strength and conditioning is going to fix that, and certainly not in the next six months.

    I would love to see him come and shine and I would love to eat my words in this post in a few years, but I see a lot more of Jesse Wade and (at best) Raivio in Brock than I see of Pangos or Williams-Goss.

    I hope I am wrong but fear I am right. Time will tell.

    Meanwhile I would like to buy some graduate transfer insurance please Alex.....

  4. #29
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    5,842

    Default

    Based on what I saw in Kent in January, I agree w/ the OP. I saw Adam at Mead all 4 days of the state tourney, and Dan D his first exhibition game at UW. I got the same feeling watching Ravet as I did those guys, neither of whom were noted for defense. IMO he's that gifted an offensive player. I saw Raivio a couple of times in high level hs games, and Brock's offensive game is better imo; closer to Dan's at that age. Raivio was quicker/faster. Jesse Wade was just an undersized jump shooter, and I see no basis of comparison to BR.

    I think he can improve on defense because he has a nose for the ball. It should be noted that against 4a Kentlake, who had a couple of pretty athletic 6'4 kids, he pulled down 13 rebounds. That tells me something about his competitiveness.

    In the first quarter he threw a couple of 3/4 or full court passes that got picked off by leaping defenders. I thought that happened because he was accustomed to throwing those over class B defenders with ease. After those two, he threw those long passes about 3 more times, all successful. He processed what happened and made an immediate adjustment.

    His passing is spectacular; quick, accurate, on time, hits guys in stride, and seems to catch defenders by surprise.

  5. #30
    Join Date
    Mar 2019
    Posts
    114

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by 229SintoZag View Post
    Call me a Brock skeptic. I have seen all the videos and highlights and the descriptions of his game. He can shoot I will give him that. He can pass some too, but even here I don't see him as on the level of Perkins and certainly not someone like Bouldin.

    But at this point he lacks quickness, foot speed, and D-1 level strength, and he does not appear to have quick hands on defense like the kind we saw from Texas Tech.

    I think the staff has had an epiphany in recent years that defense is as important as offense, and we cannot have anyone who is a significant defensive liability on the floor. Elite D-1 guards will routinely leave Brock with broken ankles or with his shorts on the floor and I am not sure any amount of drills or strength and conditioning is going to fix that, and certainly not in the next six months.

    I would love to see him come and shine and I would love to eat my words in this post in a few years, but I see a lot more of Jesse Wade and (at best) Raivio in Brock than I see of Pangos or Williams-Goss.

    I hope I am wrong but fear I am right. Time will tell.

    Meanwhile I would like to buy some graduate transfer insurance please Alex.....
    I have watched some of his clips from the UAA and he is a fine defender. He doen't have great physical tools, but you don't necessarily need elite physical tools to be a competent defender at the college level. I do not think people should expect Brock to be much of a contributor next year. I definitely see him being a key portion of future zag teams, but he doesn't have to be the guy from day one. I honestly do not remember Pangos being an exceptional defender. He didn't have much length and was not much of a steals guy. He was crazy strong for his height though.

  6. #31
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    13,075

    Default

    Here's the other thing. Brock can really, really score from distance. It would be nice to have him play off the ball some.

    Also, and this no knock on Brock (sorry).....he is making a big jump from his level of WA state basketball to play at Gonzaga. There will be freshman growing pains....and maybe a few more growing pains for him specifically as he adjusts to the competition level. Like Pendo, the guy is obviously very gifted and is going to be a fine Zag, but he has not faced the same level of competition that some of the new players have. You don't want to put too much pressure on him.

    Fully expect a combo guard type grad transfer. The question is, how good of quality will he be?? With the team not being as good as some recent GU teams due to its youth, can Few and Co. do a big time sales job to bring in a big time talent?

  7. #32
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Seattle
    Posts
    6,731

    Default

    I like what I’ve seen of Brock and expect him to contribute in year one. Pangos pretty much did it with a young back court mate in G Bell, so I’m thinking coach likes where he is st. I’m also thinking there’s no way we don’t try to bring in guards to help. I expect at least two transfer with one being able to help and play a lot immediately. We certainly will need it! Perkins has big shoes to fill.
    Go Zags!!!

  8. #33
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Posts
    1,900

    Default

    I loved NWG's ability (with Few's play calling) to post up his guy - it was such a luxury to be able to post up your big men and your guard.

  9. #34
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Bainbridge Island
    Posts
    1,108

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by CDC84 View Post
    Here's the other thing. Brock can really, really score from distance. It would be nice to have him play off the ball some.

    Also, and this no knock on Brock (sorry).....he is making a big jump from his level of WA state basketball to play at Gonzaga. There will be freshman growing pains....and maybe a few more growing pains for him specifically as he adjusts to the competition level. Like Pendo, the guy is obviously very gifted and is going to be a fine Zag, but he has not faced the same level of competition that some of the new players have. You don't want to put too much pressure on him.

    Fully expect a combo guard type grad transfer. The question is, how good of quality will he be?? With the team not being as good as some recent GU teams due to its youth, can Few and Co. do a big time sales job to bring in a big time talent?
    Let's hope so. I doubt that we all appreciate a problem that the staff has somehow overlooked, and given the track record I have faith that it will happen. It's a different world now with the grad transfer rule but it is key to get it right.

  10. #35
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    17,163

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by CDC84 View Post
    Also, and this no knock on Brock (sorry).....he is making a big jump from his level of WA state basketball to play at Gonzaga. There will be freshman growing pains....and maybe a few more growing pains for him specifically as he adjusts to ?
    It is probably only fair to Brock to mention that it really wouldn't matter if he was a five star, 6'5 recruit from De La Salle, the jump straight into a true frosh pg at Gonzaga would be a major jump requiring a ton of growing pains.

    There's a reason we beat Duke.
    Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.
    Mark Twain.

  11. #36
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    6,149

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by CdAZagFan View Post
    I loved NWG's ability (with Few's play calling) to post up his guy - it was such a luxury to be able to post up your big men and your guard.
    True, but he was a RS Junior while here.
    Hoping you have a sense of humor too!

  12. #37
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Richland, Washington
    Posts
    6,437

    Default

    I have had negative feedback for this but I’m sticking to my Rotnei Clark comparison. Actually a huge compliment. Rotnei practiced 300 three point shots per day.

    I think Brock is a scorer more than anything. I could picture him as a shooting guard with combo skills.
    I miss Mike Hart

  13. #38
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    1,707

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by MickMick View Post
    I have had negative feedback for this but I’m sticking to my Rotnei Clark comparison. Actually a huge compliment. Rotnei practiced 300 three point shots per day.

    I think Brock is a scorer more than anything. I could picture him as a shooting guard with combo skills.
    I think that’s fair. He has definite pg skills at his level, but against high level length and athleticism a rotnei comparison might be fair.

  14. #39

    Default

    I'm hoping he's Pangos but scared he's Ryan Floyd.

  15. #40

    Default

    "Battle of the Lilliputians. They'll need a smaller court."

    Mr Delmar

    This is one of many posts I've read where you feel it's ok to belittle others.

    I don't know you personally and I'm probably fortunate. Right or wrong I feel it's time to respond.

    Maybe in your world it's ok to look down upon others not in mine. I grew up in one of these small towns like Mr ravet, where everyone knows each other and people care about each other. Local sports are huge in the community and we support all of the kids knowing most will never play after high school

    . It takes a very special athlete to be considered by a div 1 college program. Especially one from such a small school.

    Possibly you've played Gonzaga basketball , I'm guessing not from your comments, Mr Ravet will!!

    He made the team. Gonzags offered him a spot and he said yes. He's Zag.

    Based on his play making ability, his winning attitude, and his hard work. Not his dimensions.

    You and others should respect this young man, along with Mr Wade, the other butt of your joke, who has moved on respectfully. We support them both no matter if they fulfill "your" standards or not.

    We are talking about young men who have dreamed their whole lives of becoming college basketball players.....and they did. Only time will tell what level of success they reach.

    Please give Mr Ravet a chance before you poke fun at him.

    I would be ashamed if I posted the garbage you did about innocent youngmen trying to fulfilled their dreams !!!

    A simple Gonzaga fan Brian

    Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

  16. #41
    Join Date
    Mar 2017
    Posts
    490

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by White lightning View Post
    Please give Mr Ravet a chance before you poke fun at him.

    A simple Gonzaga fan Brian
    Better yet, don't ever poke fun at amateur athletes and teenage kids.

    Critique the on-court results of their games, lobby for different lineups, but leave personal slights out of it.


    Nice post, Brian. I fully agree
    Last edited by LTownZag; 04-02-2019 at 09:14 PM.

  17. #42
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    6,149

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by White lightning View Post
    "Battle of the Lilliputians. They'll need a smaller court."

    Mr Delmar

    This is one of many posts I've read where you feel it's ok to belittle others.

    I don't know you personally and I'm probably fortunate. Right or wrong I feel it's time to respond.

    Maybe in your world it's ok to look down upon others not in mine. I grew up in one of these small towns like Mr ravet, where everyone knows each other and people care about each other. Local sports are huge in the community and we support all of the kids knowing most will never play after high school

    . It takes a very special athlete to be considered by a div 1 college program. Especially one from such a small school.

    Possibly you've played Gonzaga basketball , I'm guessing not from your comments, Mr Ravet will!!

    He made the team. Gonzags offered him a spot and he said yes. He's Zag.

    Based on his play making ability, his winning attitude, and his hard work. Not his dimensions.

    You and others should respect this young man, along with Mr Wade, the other butt of your joke, who has moved on respectfully. We support them both no matter if they fulfill "your" standards or not.

    We are talking about young men who have dreamed their whole lives of becoming college basketball players.....and they did. Only time will tell what level of success they reach.

    Please give Mr Ravet a chance before you poke fun at him.

    I would be ashamed if I posted the garbage you did about innocent youngmen trying to fulfilled their dreams !!!

    A simple Gonzaga fan Brian

    Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
    Quote Originally Posted by LTownZag View Post
    Better yet, don't ever poke fun at amateur athletes and teenage kids.

    Critique the on-court results of their games, lobby for different lineups, but leave personal slights out of it.


    Nice post, Brian. I fully agree
    Sometimes I wish there was a simple 'like' button as on FB.

    I agree.
    Hoping you have a sense of humor too!

  18. #43
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    1,436

    Default

    tx white lighting, my feelings exactly.
    The hallmark of a second class person is the resentment of another's success-R.W. Emerson
    Whatever you focus your mind on grows, grow a rose garden and not a weed patch-Dr Paul

    .

  19. #44
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    100

    Default

    I guess we actually don't like a sense of humour here.

    Ugh. I like the way Jazz writes, and have discovered him to be one of the four or five best posters on this board. I enjoy his commentary and find that he cuts through the nonsense with simple one liners that enrage people. Good. I find most of the criticisms of his writing to be, well, lilliputian. I have heard the same joke made by Don Cherry when the Bruins had a really small lineup on the ice; Its not an insult to the player. Unless you think being short is bad? Cuz I don't think being short is bad. Hell, we could use Muggsy Bogues next year . . . Gosh, its just rhetoric. Half of our population's diminution of coherent logical analysis is the fear that it might offend someone.

  20. #45
    Join Date
    Mar 2017
    Posts
    490

    Default

    Exrta irony given that Ravet is taller than MSU's point guard, Auburn's point guard, and UVA's point guard, and is the same height as Duke's.

  21. #46
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Spokane Valley
    Posts
    7,724

    Default

    Majority of Zag fans agree ---Lightning hit it on the head. Give him a shot and treat our players with respect-- they have earned it by becoming a part of the Zag family.

  22. #47
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Posts
    7,059

    Default

    GU BOARDS The Home of Gonzaga Basketball Talk

    don't like the discussion use the ignore feature

  23. #48
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Posts
    7,059

    Default

    not a fan of Walt's grandson...too much hero ball. Watched a couple games and highlights. Maybe he could evolve. Jenkins looks like good fit.

  24. #49
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Napa, CA
    Posts
    4,270

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by zagsfanforlife View Post
    While i agree for the most part, as 60% of the time anyone any good is reported by Goodman or Borzello to have heard from GU.. i would venture to guess there is actual interest in both of these guys-- especially Jenkins. He is a high major starting guard.
    I think the general point is that Gonzaga doesn't go out trying to recruit/poach players from other schools. Gonzaga is certainly in discussions with a number of PG/CG transfers, but GoZags was clarifying regarding "reaching out" specifically, that someone associated with the player actually "reaches out" to Gonzaga, rather than the other way around.
    I will thank God for the day and the moment I have. - Jimmy V

  25. #50
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    University Place, WA (aka Chambers Bay)
    Posts
    4,756

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by webspinnre View Post
    I think the general point is that Gonzaga doesn't go out trying to recruit/poach players from other schools. Gonzaga is certainly in discussions with a number of PG/CG transfers, but GoZags was clarifying regarding "reaching out" specifically, that someone associated with the player actually "reaches out" to Gonzaga, rather than the other way around.
    My comment was true a month or two ago ... during the actual season. I corrected a couple of comments that GU was “reaching out” to several potential Grad Transfers. At the time there were folks that had discretely reached out to the Zags through intermediaries (while the kids were still playing with their schools).

    Now that the season is over (for most programs) kids are declaring their intentions of transferring. GU (and any program) are able to contact these types of transfers. At least that’s my understanding.

    BTw when Nigel announced he was transferring from
    UDub Gonzaga wasn’t on his list. But Brian Michaelson (a fellow Portland native) let it be known that the Zags were interested. That one sure worked out okay.

    "To be continued ....."
    Father Tony Lehman, SJ

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •