Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: The Answer at PG: Brock Ravet

Quote Originally Posted by bartruff1 View Post
    Josh was a red shirt freshman PG.....huge advantage ...
    I doubt that watching and drinking smoothies through a straw did him a whole lot of good during his rs year. Couldn't practice, lost a ton of weight/strength. Before getting kung fu'ed he was playing 20 min a game behind Pangos/Bell as a true fr, and very effectively.

Quote Originally Posted by maynard g krebs View Post
    I doubt that watching and drinking smoothies through a straw did him a whole lot of good during his rs year. Couldn't practice, lost a ton of weight/strength. Before getting kung fu'ed he was playing 20 min a game behind Pangos/Bell as a true fr, and very effectively.
    think you made barts point

Redshirt...anyone heard that before today?

It’s unclear exactly who will return next season for Gonzaga, as five underclassmen have declared for the NBA Draft with the option of coming back to school. Ravet said while he sees the blog world and people on social media say he’s a likely redshirt candidate, he’s keeping an open mind
    https://sblivewa.com/2019/05/02/wash...ruiting-class/

Quote Originally Posted by Zagceo View Post
    Redshirt...anyone heard that before today?

https://sblivewa.com/2019/05/02/wash...ruiting-class/
    WHO'S BEEN BLOGGING THAT CRAP?
    Hoping you have a sense of humor too!

Quote Originally Posted by willandi View Post
    WHO'S BEEN BLOGGING THAT CRAP?
    Will, those so-called bloggers or Tweets have been putting assumptions or words in the mouths of others as much as you have recently. It works both ways.

I feel you have consistently mis-quoted Gozags and/or Coaching staff numerous times regarding what was actually said about Ravet.

It's been more about your hopeful optimisim rather than the fact of what was shared by Gozags. Not to mention, taken out of context regarding next season, when they spoke to last season.

Quote Originally Posted by Therunner View Post
    Will, those so-called bloggers or Tweets have been putting assumptions or words in the mouths of others as much as you have recently. It works both ways.

I feel you have consistently mis-quoted Gozags and/or Coaching staff numerous times regarding what was actually said about Ravet.

It's been more about your hopeful optimisim rather than the fact of what was shared by Gozags. Not to mention, taken out of context regarding next season, when they spoke to last season.
    Quote Originally Posted by gonzagafan62 View Post
    I think the coaching staff really believes one of two things:

A. Ravet can run the point efficiently
    B. They believe they can land a grad transfer

Whatever the case is, I believe in the staff.
    Quote Originally Posted by GoZags View Post
    While I KNOW “A” is true I would change “B” to: “They believe they can land some grad transfers.”

Here is where GoZags said that the staff believe that Ravet can run the point effectively. Since they believe they can land some grad transfers, I interpret that to mean that they believe he can run the point whether or not the transfers show up. To do that I believe it means he starts.

I don't believe I have been putting words in the mouths of others. I HAVE believed that the words I have read mean what the seem to mean.

to the OP...I hope so and we'll see. Freshman PG is a big deal, not like Zion coming in and manhandling folks. we'll see

My best analysis of Brock Ravet is that he is Kevin Pangos clone or Pangos 2.0 and that is a really good thing. Same size and height at the same age with the same high-level basketball IQ thanks to their family coaching lineage.

Quote Originally Posted by basketballzag View Post
    My best analysis of Brock Ravet is that he is Kevin Pangos clone or Pangos 2.0 and that is a really good thing. Same size and height at the same age with the same high-level basketball IQ thanks to their family coaching lineage.
    Didn't Pangos and Bell both start together as freshmen? If my memory is right, they were both pretty good as freshmen.

Go Zags!!!
    Go Zags!!! The Best Is Yet To Come!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Reborn View Post
    Didn't Pangos and Bell both start together as freshmen? If my memory is right, they were both pretty good as freshmen.

Go Zags!!!
    They didn’t ecactly start the season... believe pantos started 9 games in but yet, they both started most of the season together.,was really incredible. Both did spectacular.
    21 Straight Big Dances

11 Straight Round of 32s

10 Sweet Sixteens (5 Straight)

4 Elite Eights

2017 FINAL FOUR

2 Winningest Players in college basketball history (Karnowski 137, Perkins 134)

The Best Point Guard to ever play the game: John Stockton, most assists, most steals.

Quote Originally Posted by gonzagafan62 View Post
    They didn’t ecactly start the season... believe pantos started 9 games in but yet, they both started most of the season together.,was really incredible. Both did spectacular.

Pangos: Started 31 of 33 games
    Bell: Started 26 of 33 games

https://www.sports-reference.com/cbb...zaga/2012.html

You were pretty darn close. I had it in my head that Pangos did not start only the first game and that Bell started after 4.... Good thing for records.

Quote Originally Posted by slickguser View Post
    Pangos: Started 31 of 33 games
    Bell: Started 26 of 33 games

https://www.sports-reference.com/cbb...zaga/2012.html

You were pretty darn close. I had it in my head that Pangos did not start only the first game and that Bell started after 4.... Good thing for records.
    Wasn't there a game mid season where Pangos was sick and didn't start? Just from my failing memory.

What would the general consensus be on a Kevin Pangos recruitment at this stage in the progression of the program?

To be honest, he doesn't fit the prototype of what I would like to see in a GU point guard right now-- but with the benefit of hindsight I would take him in heartbeat right now. When he left he seemed like he would be very hard to replace and he is one of my favorite players. He was unequivocally a winner and left as one of the all-time greats, despite being limited by a foot injury. I recall being very excited about him coming to play at GU.

If I recall, Pangos came in with the expectation to score and create for others, but with questions about his defense. I also seem to recall that Pangos came in as a coach's son with the reputation of having a high basketball IQ. He has continued a very good GU career in Europe and seemingly turned down an offer to bring his game to the NBA recently. He also seems to be a good ambassador for the program. The similarities between Ravet and Pangos are many. I am looking forward to seeing what Ravet can do and certainly would be happy if he has a career trajectory like Pangos (minus injury, of course).

Quote Originally Posted by JPtheBeasta View Post
    What would the general consensus be on a Kevin Pangos recruitment at this stage in the progression of the program?

To be honest, he doesn't fit the prototype of what I would like to see in a GU point guard right now-- but with the benefit of hindsight I would take him in heartbeat right now. When he left he seemed like he would be very hard to replace and he is one of my favorite players. He was unequivocally a winner and left as one of the all-time greats, despite being limited by a foot injury. I recall being very excited about him coming to play at GU.

If I recall, Pangos came in with the expectation to score and create for others, but with questions about his defense. I also seem to recall that Pangos came in as a coach's son with the reputation of having a high basketball IQ. He has continued a very good GU career in Europe and seemingly turned down an offer to bring his game to the NBA recently. He also seems to be a good ambassador for the program. The similarities between Ravet and Pangos are many. I am looking forward to seeing what Ravet can do and certainly would be happy if he has a career trajectory like Pangos (minus injury, of course).
    I don't necessarily see Pangos and Ravet's style being the same. Pangos was/is more of a physical specimen (looks stronger/fitter) than Ravet, albeit he has shorter arms proportionally than Ravet. I thought that Pangos was very much a meat and potatoes player in terms of playing a straight up, no razzle dazzle style of basketball. Pangos as a freshman, vs Ravet as a high school senior, was a much better defender, IMO.

Ravet on the other hand has more a free flowing, going to attempt to more spectacular/entertaining plays offensively than Pangos.

I think Pangos at the same stage as Ravet was probably a better shooter, but not as good a scorer. I would probably say Ravet is a better passer vs the Freshman Pango.

My first chance to see Pangos was at Kraziness in the Kennel. His court vision, ability to control flow of the offense, passing, and uncontested 3 point shooting was off the charts in my mind. I enthusiastically emailed all my friends that he and Bell needed to be in the starting lineup ASAP. The universal response was....."NO WAY Few is going to start 2 freshmen, especially not a freshman at point guard." Early in the season, Pangos proceeded to knock down seven 3 pt shots in a game and changed a lot of minds. Pangos was a great catch and shoot, wide open 3pt shooter, and I think Ravet will be his equal or better in that respect. But I think Ravet will be better at creating space, making a wider variety of shots, and take it to the hoop maybe better than Pangos. Pangos was a little slow in lateral movement, but certainly passable on defense, unflappable, and a conservative, but great floor general. I think Ravet will be his equal with a chance to prove himself better.

Ive said before that Pangos was perfect for the program at the time, now though, GU needs a higher level player to lead the way.

ESPN box lists Stockton and Carter as starters in game 1 2011-12 (E Wa), playing 19 and 32 minutes respectively, w/ Pangos playing 27 min off the bench and Bell 14.

Game 2, Pangos started , played 30+ min and scored 33 w/ nine three pointers. Bell played 24 or 27 min in game 2; started a few games later as someone said above.

Did I read somewhere Ravit will be 19 year old freshmen where as Pangos was 18 as frosh?

Quote Originally Posted by hooter73 View Post
    Ive said before that Pangos was perfect for the program at the time, now though, GU needs a higher level player to lead the way.
    Not that I disagree with the statement, but Ravet was just ranked number 94 by 247 that's a pretty high level player. Our 2020 point guard will be ranked 85 spaces higher, but still 94 is not bad.

Quote Originally Posted by caldwellzag View Post
    Not that I disagree with the statement, but Ravet was just ranked number 94 by 247 that's a pretty high level player. Our 2020 point guard will be ranked 85 spaces higher, but still 94 is not bad.
    understated music to many ears lol

The thing about Pangos was that before he played at GU he had faced much higher level of competition than Ravet has. He led Canada at the U17 world championships and was named in the all star team (along with Karnowski).

He also played for Canada in Portland at the Nike Hoops Summit, again showing to be one of the best players in that tournament.

I think this experience helped Kevin deal with the jump from High School ball to College ball better than most freshman.

While Kevin may not have had lateral quickness he still is up there (only behind the greatest) in terms of career steals.

I am looking forward to Brock's career at GU very much, and hope he has as much of an impact as Kevin did.

Quote Originally Posted by OZZY View Post

He also played for Canada in Portland at the Nike Hoops Summit, again showing to be one of the best players in that tournament.
    I watched that game, and I think "held his own" would be a fair analysis. He certainly played competently against the US hs AA's, but imo to say he was one of the best players in that game is a bit of a stretch.

Quote Originally Posted by hooter73 View Post
    Do you really believe this? I thought Kevin was 6 ft 2 and 180-190, and ready to go. 34 pts first game and was a very good passer, superior ball handler with good defense and with 80% PLUS free throw shooter...…….right out of the box. Those numbers are hard to duplicate. More though, he had an exceptional feel and understanding of the game. I think he'd get tons of minutes on today's teams. And we think we could do better? Only reservation is speed..

Quote Originally Posted by MDABE80 View Post
    Do you really believe this? I thought Kevin was 6 ft 2 and 180-190, and ready to go. 34 pts first game and was a very good passer, superior ball handler with good defense and with 80% PLUS free throw shooter...…….right out of the box. Those numbers are hard to duplicate. More though, he had an exceptional feel and understanding of the game. I think he'd get tons of minutes on today's teams. And we think we could do better? Only reservation is speed..
    Everyone loved KP, me included. He was amazing, but guards like Goss, Perkins, Melson… any of this decade's 1 or 2s would have nullified Pangos. He was what we needed when we needed it but the level has changed right along with the game evolving, 300lb big men and short slow guards do not win in April in todays college game... in my opinion of course. Not like anyone would turn a player like him down though, that's for sure.

Pangos would’ve been a main contributor on every Gonzaga team. Perhaps a lesser role as a freshman and sophomore, but he was certainly good enough to play 20-25 minutes on the runner up team or last year.