X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • jazzdelmar
    Zag for Life
    • Feb 2007

What does that have to do with the Palestra, Les Keiter, Matt Guokas, Jr.

Originally posted by maynard g krebs View Post
    There's this, from the Firesign Theatre, ca. 1970.

"White lightning, white lightning, this is ground beef control. Do you read me? Over"

"I read only good books. Over"

"Ho ho ho. You must be way out there, Pastor"

"I'm high all right, but not on false drugs. I'm high on the real thing. Powerful gasoline, a clean windshield, and a shoeshine. Over".

"He's turning over. AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Get thee benind meeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! "

Comment

• DZ
      Zag for Life
      • Sep 2007

Sometimes the offseason is the best season on the board.
      Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.
      Mark Twain.

Comment

• caldwellzag
        Zag for Life
        • Jan 2018

Originally posted by GoZags View Post
        My comment was true a month or two ago ... during the actual season. I corrected a couple of comments that GU was “reaching out” to several potential Grad Transfers. At the time there were folks that had discretely reached out to the Zags through intermediaries (while the kids were still playing with their schools).

Now that the season is over (for most programs) kids are declaring their intentions of transferring. GU (and any program) are able to contact these types of transfers. At least that’s my understanding.

BTw when Nigel announced he was transferring from
        UDub Gonzaga wasn’t on his list. But Brian Michaelson (a fellow Portland native) let it be known that the Zags were interested. That one sure worked out okay.

This statement is very true. I can say that the family that I heard was reaching out during the season has not put his name in the transfer portal.

That being said there are some pretty good names that our coaches are contacting and they are contacting us too.

Comment

• maynard g krebs
          Zag for Life
          • Sep 2009

Originally posted by jazzdelmar View Post
          What does that have to do with the Palestra, Les Keiter, Matt Guokas, Jr.
          Well, you asked about the origin of the user name "white lightning". As a firesign theatre fan, I'm hoping that's where he got it. And my older brother brought home my first firesign theatre albums from his Penn dorm, a few stones' throws from the Palestra, along w/ Penn-Princeton tickets and some recreation enhancing substances that can't be mentioned on a family board.

So indirectly, it probably has more to do with Wohl, Bilsky, Bobby Morse, Phil Hankinson, Craig Littlepage, and my favorite, Corky Calhoun, who sadly and inexplicably lost his jump shot his last year.

And back to Ravet. He seems to get faster with the ball in his hands.

As to his level of play, I was blown away, as I was by young Dickau and Morrison.

But I was also blown away when I saw hs Gary Bell score 29 first half pts in a state regional game v a good Arlington team (19-7 or something like that) on 10 of 12 and 5 of 6 threes, some from 25". Very Dickau at LMU-like. And when I saw South Medford (Or) guard Mike Harthun hit a bunch of deep 3's and outduel Kevin Love in the Oregon 6a state champ game after Love fouled out Kyle Singler, I thought he'd be Blake Stepp-like for Tony Bennett at WSU, where he flamed out and finished at Portland State.

And Bell was a good, not great player for GU, and Harthun a bust despite his borderline top 100 ranking. So you never really know until you see it on the D1 level. But at the very least, he's gonna be entertaining as hell. And I watch basketball to be entertained.

Comment

• jazzdelmar
            Zag for Life
            • Feb 2007

Well, you asked about the origin of the user name "white lightning". As a firesign theatre fan, I'm hoping that's where he got it. And my older brother brought home my first firesign theatre albums from his Penn dorm, a few stones' throws from the Palestra, along w/ Penn-Princeton tickets and some recreation enhancing substances that can't be mentioned on a family board.

So indirectly, it probably has more to do with Wohl, Bilsky, Bobby Morse, Phil Hankinson, Craig Littlepage, and my favorite, Corky Calhoun, who sadly and inexplicably lost his jump shot his last year.
            Ahh, the Red Quakers. How did u forget Tony Price?

Comment

• maynard g krebs
              Zag for Life
              • Sep 2009

Originally posted by jazzdelmar View Post
              Ahh, the Red Quakers. How did u forget Tony Price?
              Didn't play w/ those guys. A few yrs later.

Comment

• Zagricultural
                Professional Zag Fan
                • Nov 2012

Originally posted by JPtheBeasta View Post
                I would teach him to hack down on players’ arms and pray, which seems to be the way to be successful in March. In all seriousness, TT guards weren’t athletic, as far as I could tell, and they are part of the #1 defense.
                No Kidding! Totally the biggest reason we lost, and may be a strategy worth employing.

Comment

• DZ
                  Zag for Life
                  • Sep 2007

Even if Brock Ravet is the answer - the name of this thread - and I hope he is, though that is putting a tremendous amount of pressure on a first year player, a different type of pressure than a big who is a true frosh, a pg is an extension of Few on the floor, especially in our offense, but even if he IS the answer, that doesn't mean we're not dearly in need of one, probably two other transfers or JUCO players to help hold us over at the guard position.

I am encouraged by Caldwell's words, though we could've guessed that the coach's first task upon the season ending is sowing up the guard situation as we welcome in the most heralded class in Zag history.

It is crucial, as in this day and age, with one and dones, and all that, the bigs we have coming are of such quality that I don't see us as destined to fall off tremendously. Though we're unlikely to be a number one seed, I don't anticipate a 10 seed, either, and I certainly don't think we're "missing the tournament" next year.
                  Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.
                  Mark Twain.

Comment

• Zagceo
                    Zag for Life
                    • Nov 2013

“You do have to ask yourself, ‘Will what he does work at our level?’ Coming from such a lower level of playing B school basketball, it’s a fair question. But when we saw Brock play, I think we were pretty confident right away that what he did would be effective at our level.”

But what stuck out most to the Gonzaga coaches was how willingly Brock passed to teammates during the games at the camp. It’s what has brought so much success to the Kittitas boys team – his ability to spread the ball around, break down the defense and find the right shot.
                    Little did anyone else know that this kid from the small town of Kittitas would years later earn a full-ride scholarship to one of the most prolific basketball programs in the nation – Gonzaga University.

Comment

• JPtheBeasta
                      Zag for Life
                      • Oct 2008

Thanks for posting. Fun article.

Comment

• hooter73
                        Zag for Life
                        • Jun 2008

Originally posted by Ladyzag12 View Post
                        I honestly do not remember Pangos being an exceptional defender. He didn't have much length and was not much of a steals guy. He was crazy strong for his height though.
                        Pangos is #2 in career steals at GU.

Comment

• hooter73
                          Zag for Life
                          • Jun 2008

Originally posted by MickMick View Post
                          I have had negative feedback for this but I’m sticking to my Rotnei Clark comparison. Actually a huge compliment. Rotnei practiced 300 three point shots per day.

I think Brock is a scorer more than anything. I could picture him as a shooting guard with combo skills.
                          Dranginis also shot a couple hundred a day from the time he committed in high school and still made less than 100 on the court in his career for GU. He was a big fish in a small Idaho pond.

I think what im seeing is we just don’t know what Ravet will be til he’s done here. I sure want to root for him just as much as I rooted for Wade, who I couldn’t sing high enough praises of, but to be at the top, we need the top players and those won’t be here till 2021

Comment

• former1dog
                            Zag for Life
                            • Feb 2007

Originally posted by hooter73 View Post
                            Pangos is #2 in career steals at GU.

#3 as of Perkins last game 🙂

Comment

• sittingon50
                              Zag for Life
                              • Feb 2007

There's this, from the Firesign Theatre, ca. 1970.

"White lightning, white lightning, this is ground beef control. Do you read me? Over"

"I read only good books. Over"

"Ho ho ho. You must be way out there, Pastor"

"I'm high all right, but not on false drugs. I'm high on the real thing. Powerful gasoline, a clean windshield, and a shoeshine. Over".

"He's turning over. AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Get thee benind meeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! "
                              maynard, how can you be in two places at once when you're not anywhere at all?
                              But we don't play nobody.

Comment

• Vanzagger
                                Zag for Life
                                • Feb 2007

And back to Ravet. He seems to get faster with the ball in his hands.

As to his level of play, I was blown away, as I was by young Dickau and Morrison.

But I was also blown away when I saw hs Gary Bell score 29 first half pts in a state regional game v a good Arlington team (19-7 or something like that) on 10 of 12 and 5 of 6 threes, some from 25". Very Dickau at LMU-like. And when I saw South Medford (Or) guard Mike Harthun hit a bunch of deep 3's and outduel Kevin Love in the Oregon 6a state champ game after Love fouled out Kyle Singler, I thought he'd be Blake Stepp-like for Tony Bennett at WSU, where he flamed out and finished at Portland State.

And Bell was a good, not great player for GU, and Harthun a bust despite his borderline top 100 ranking. So you never really know until you see it on the D1 level. But at the very least, he's gonna be entertaining as hell. And I watch basketball to be entertained.
                                I loved the post m g k

I do want to stick up for Bell a little and it’s not like you thrashed him.

His senior year he got to go back to just being a guard. Few’s first Elite8. I put a check in the Great box for that
                                Think Big. No think Bigger than that!

Comment

Working...
                                X