Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: The Answer at PG: Brock Ravet

Default The Answer at PG: Brock Ravet

Everyone I have talked to that I trust, including a few with connections to the coaching staff, have told me that Brock Ravet has an extremely high basketball IQ. That his offensive skills and vision are next level. That he isn't just a scorer, but a facilitator with great ball handling skills who can throw laser sharp passes.

No one says he is a good defender. In fact everyone acknowledges that this is a weakness in his game.

I talked to a former D1 basketball player who was known for his defensive prowess and shooting about this problem. I asked him, can a player improve drastically as a defender. The answer was an unqualified yes! He told me defense was mostly about desire and hard work. He said that often athletic limitations can be overcome with smart positioning and determination on defense.

The coaches aren't stupid. They understand this is a problem. Brock Ravet and his high school coach, who also happens to be his Dad, aren't stupid. They understand this is a problem. They have 6 months to work on it until practice starts. I have no doubt that is what they are doing.

If Ravet becomes an adequate defender over the next 6 months, he just might be the starting point guard for the 2019-20 season.

Question is whether Foster can step up. If he can't Zags are perilously thin at the 1 even AFTER Dominic gets there.
    "And Morrison? He did what All-Americans do. He shot daggers in the daylight and stole a win." - Steve Kelley (Seattle Times)

"Gonzaga is a special place, with special people!" - Dan Dickau #21

Foo me once shame on you, Foo me twice shame on me.

2012 Foostrodamus - Foothsayer of Death

If Foster can't step up, is Snacks a serviceable backup PG? His handles seem to have regressed late-season but we saw flashes earlier in the year. Clearly something he needs to work on.
    Your children have been placed in the custody of...Carl's Jr.

As soon as they market a Brock t-shirt, I'm all over it. And I don't think he is anything close to a one-and-done. I'm just glad we nabbed him instead of UW.

The only freshman point guard that started all four years that I can think of was Pangos ??? Some have said he is another Pangos....if he is..... I will buy your boys a new Brock shirt every year...

I am really pulling for Brock....
    I just posted in the Whelping Box, a potential Grad transfer point guard from Philly...he is tough and a hard nose player from St. Joe's. Love his game.

Yeah, what about a (grad) transfer point guard??. We poached Nigel Williams Goss as a transfer and look what it got us. Has anyone heard anything about a transfer point guard and where we stand on this???

Quote Originally Posted by sheps001 View Post
    Yeah, what about a (grad) transfer point guard??. We poached Nigel Williams Goss as a transfer and look what it got us. Has anyone heard anything about a transfer point guard and where we stand on this???
    There is an entire thread about it in the Whelping Box

http://guboards.spokesmanreview.com/...90#post1456190

Feels like we need a 195-200lb PG.

A player who can play through contact, fight around a defender or arm defense, and play physically aggressive in crunch time.

This has hurt us in tight games vs top teams. Or been taken advantage of and challenged.

Geno was 155lbs, Perkins around 175lbs.

Both great players but both lacked strength.

We can have a finesse guy out there yet his backup or side kick needs to be able to sustain contact and play on.

Missing ingredient last 2 seasons imho.

Zack is a big guard with some weight yet rarely uses it to his advantage, could be so much better if he drove the ball than purely a 30' 3pt shooter...

Good news is a ton of strong, thick guards on the grad transfer market.

We have shown interest and been listed by (3) of them. No coincidence. We need some power in the backcourt, especially when refs swallow their whistles in post season play.

I think what we missed most this year, over the 2017 squad was a slasher. Then we had NWG that could get in the lane and finish. As much as I love Perks, he wasn't that type of player. Even the broadcasters made reference during the TTU game that teams were challenging him to make plays. NWG's floater was a thing of beauty. Who's that player next year? Snacks showed some promise and even Kispert during inferior competition drove to the basket.

Quote Originally Posted by JAGzag View Post
    I think what we missed most this year, over the 2017 squad was a slasher. Then we had NWG that could get in the lane and finish. As much as I love Perks, he wasn't that type of player. Even the broadcasters made reference during the TTU game that teams were challenging him to make plays. NWG's floater was a thing of beauty. Who's that player next year? Snacks showed some promise and even Kispert during inferior competition drove to the basket.
    If Norvell works on what I think is his biggest weakness, his handle, I think he could really improve his game by adding that slashing element. I think Kispert could be a guy that could get the rim more and I think he will work on that part of his game this offseason. Both need to be more consistent from the outside as well, but both have the ability.

No offense intended...but I am curious to see Brock and Jesse play against each other …..I have no idea who will shine.....it is just a interesting matchup given their history in high school and at Gonzaga..

Quote Originally Posted by bartruff1 View Post
    No offense intended...but I am curious to see Brock and Jesse play against each other …..I have no idea who will shine.....it is just a interesting matchup given their history in high school and at Gonzaga..
    I don't see much similarity in their games at all. Wade was, and is, an outside shooter with limited PG skills. Ravet is an outside shooter, but also a facilitator that had an ability to attack the rim at the HS level.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Vulture View Post
    I don't see much similarity in their games at all. Wade was, and is, an outside shooter with limited PG skills. Ravet is an outside shooter, but also a facilitator that had an ability to attack the rim at the HS level.
    Since they were both highly touted point guards from small high schools.... are of a similar size.... that were early recruits by Gonzaga ….whether they drive or shoot or both..... is irrelevant to me.....I am curious to see if they succeed at this level.....

The only freshman point guard that started all four years that I can think of was Pangos ??? Some have said he is another Pangos....if he is..... I will buy your boys a new Brock shirt every year...
    Blake Stepp (but we're talking 6'4 & used interchangeably with Dickau).

Matt Santangelo (but RS'ed 1st yr. on campus).
    This ain't rocket surgery!

Quote Originally Posted by sittingon50 View Post
    Blake Stepp (but we're talking 6'4 & used interchangeably with Dickau).

Matt Santangelo (but RS'ed 1st yr. on campus).
    Thanks....I didn't know that....or I forgot and that is troubling....it has been a while ago, so that is reassuring ….a little...I should have said true freshman....like Kevin...a wholesome 18 year old.....kid.....

Since they were both highly touted point guards from small high schools.... are of a similar size.... that were early recruits by Gonzaga ….whether they drive or shoot or both..... is irrelevant to me.....I am curious to see if they succeed at this level.....
    Ok..seemed like you thought they were similar type players. My bad.

Battle of the Lilliputians. They'll need a smaller court.

One thing about playing defense when you are there heart and soul of your team’s offense is that you just don’t take many risks on the defensive end because you need to be in the game.

best tap the brakes on expectations for any freshmen point guard.

better to undersell and overdeliver.

Brock will be given a shot and he is good. He shined on the AAU circuit and has potential to be great here. Just understand that Gonzaga will be active on the grad transfer market and that is to give Brock time to adjust to the next level.

100% certain we will have grad transfer PG next year with Brock seeing some action here and there. Few is going to want experience at that position.

Am I the only crazy person who thought Zach Norvell demonstrated serviceable court vision?

Unless he is the answer to the question of “Who was rushed into a starting role well before his time, because we had no other serviceable option?”, I’m not sure I agree with this.

Quote Originally Posted by CDC84 View Post
    100% certain we will have grad transfer PG next year with Brock seeing some action here and there. Few is going to want experience at that position.
    This past season for Nova, they had a 5 star true point guard freshman, Jahvon Quinerly looked to be in line to take over as the starting point guard with Jalen Brunson leaving early for the NBA Draft, and he couldn't do it, and barely got on the court. So yes, it is not easy to throw a true freshman out there.