Page 1 of 11 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Zags and Declaring for the Draft

Default Zags and Declaring for the Draft

I know we all have our feelings on who is ready and who isn't ready for the NBA right now. The thing we have to remember though is that declaring for the draft doesn't mean you are definately going pro. Considering that none of our kids have declared previously, I think it is good for both the player and the team if they went through the process at least. All four of Rui, Clarke, Tillie, and Norvell should declare for the draft this year IMO.

With that said, neither one of Tillie or Norvell should hire an agent (IMO) which allows them to get feedback while leaving open the option of coming back to school. I don't think that Norvell is a guy that will get drafted this year, so I'd expect him to return for one more year. With the injuries, it makes sense for Tillie to show he is healthy and get the feedback from pro personnel people as well. I think that Tillie gets drafted and I expect him to declare and ultimately stay in the draft.

The other two kids are both going to be first round picks easily, so I would personally say they should go all in to the draft. Really, the only thing that staying in school provides them is more risk of injury and another year of age which hurts in the NBA's eyes. Sure they could continue to get better but they can do that at the NBA level as well.

Here is some draft related discussion with Jim Meehan.

https://twitter.com/PressBoxSpokane/...68442338144256

Yeah don’t disagree. I’m expecting Rui, Clarke and Tillie to be gone. If Tillie comes back, great we can find room for him. Would love if he stayed.

If Norvell leaves I just don’t see how that benefits him at all. That would be a terrible decision in my opinion, HOWEVER with no risk of anything or losing eligibility, might as well ask the nba what he needs to do to get drafted
    21 Straight Big Dances

11 Straight Round of 32s

10 Sweet Sixteens (5 Straight)

4 Elite Eights

2017 FINAL FOUR

2 Winningest Players in college basketball history (Karnowski 137, Perkins 134)

The Best Point Guard to ever play the game: John Stockton, most assists, most steals.

The Slipper Still Fits weighs in: https://www.slipperstillfits.com/201...2wmrm2bQpUSPH8

If Norvell leaves, I hope he minored in Serbian or Greek.

Quote Originally Posted by Section 116 View Post
    Tillie's decision is if he wants to play in the NBA or in Europe. That drives his decision to stay or not.

Sent from my XT1710-02 using Tapatalk
    'I found it is the small everyday deeds of ordinary folk that keep the darkness at bay… small acts of kindness and love.'
    - Gandalf the Grey

Foo Time

Quote Originally Posted by kitzbuel View Post
    Tillie's decision is if he wants to play in the NBA or in Europe. That drives his decision to stay or not.

Sent from my XT1710-02 using Tapatalk
    I think he will get a shot in the NBA but he very well could end up in Europe as well. Not a lot of big can shoot like him. Regardless, I would be more surprised if he came back than if he left.

Quote Originally Posted by gonzagafan62 View Post
    Yeah don’t disagree. I’m expecting Rui, Clarke and Tillie to be gone. If Tillie comes back, great we can find room for him. Would love if he stayed.

If Norvell leaves I just don’t see how that benefits him at all. That would be a terrible decision in my opinion, HOWEVER with no risk of anything or losing eligibility, might as well ask the nba what he needs to do to get drafted
    Quote Originally Posted by surfmonkey89 View Post
    If Norvell leaves, I hope he minored in Serbian or Greek.
    Is Norvell even considering it as an option?

Quote Originally Posted by Goshzagit View Post
    Is Norvell even considering it as an option?
    I wouldn’t think so but you never know these days. He’s got a lot to work on next year if he wants to make the NBA rosters
    21 Straight Big Dances

11 Straight Round of 32s

4 Elite Eights

2017 FINAL FOUR

The Best Point Guard to ever play the game: John Stockton, most assists, most steals.

There are other options than just …...College or the NBA....

Rui and Clarke will be top 20 pick. Norvell has no shot at getting drafted. I could see Tillie bolting for Europe but hope he comes back. Perkins will have a great career somewhere other than the NBA.
    Go Zags!!!

Quote Originally Posted by bartruff1 View Post
    There are other options than just …...College or the NBA....
    Oh definitely Bart. Wouldn’t surprise me if someone like Tillie or Norvell wanna get paid in Europe but my guess is both would rather play in NBA. Tillie might be able to, but Norvell is a long way away from that imo. But I am on the couch, not a scout
    21 Straight Big Dances

11 Straight Round of 32s

4 Elite Eights

2017 FINAL FOUR

Quote Originally Posted by gonzagafan62 View Post
    Oh definitely Bart. Wouldn’t surprise me if someone like Tillie or Norvell wanna get paid in Europe but my guess is both would rather play in NBA. Tillie might be able to, but Norvell is a long way away from that imo. But I am on the couch, not a scout
    You don't typically see American players leave early to play in Europe unless they thought they were nba material and then don't make a team. With the new rules, I assume he will "declare" workout for teams and get some feed back and the come back to GU next year.

To be honest with regards to Tillie, I just don’t see an improvement in him from the 2018 season...yes he was injured most of the season but didn’t see the same aggressiveness he had last season...still picked up silly fouls, no improvement at the FT Line...unless he finds a way to impress at the combine, he won’t be getting drafted and don’t see him coming back...off to Europe, where he should, if injuries stay away, have a long career...he might even be a two sport person for France.

From what I’ve read on the board, we have one scholarship available for next season and not sure the Staff have been saving that spot for Tillie’s return...if he decided to come back, then one of the others would have to be dropped or reclassify for the 2020-2021 season...

I wish him the very best in everything he does in life!

Sadly, Tils looks like a "what coulda been" situation. His frosh promise, playing with great abandon w his partner Zbo, hitting those clutch FTs in the NCs....just a painful reminder of 'po that ain't no 'mo.

Tillie heathy plays 11 minutes in elite eight game and no scribe asks “Why”......why?

Quote Originally Posted by Zagceo View Post
    Tillie heathy plays 11 minutes in elite eight game and no scribe asks “Why”......why?
    No Woodward and Bernsteins on the Zag beat, CEO.

This Ringer podcast after the Sweet 16 has a long discussion of Clarke, Rui, and Tillie and their NBA prospects. They put Clarke in their top 5 and state that Tillie might be the second best prospect on the team because of his shooting, passing, and feel for the game. Really interesting listen.

https://www.theringer.com/2019/3/29/...n-the-sweet-16

Are we sure Rui is a Top 20 pick? I know there's still a lot of potential there, but he's look overmatched against good competition. I think the media ran with the high NBA draft pick story line, but I just don't see it. I'm not scouring the NBA draft boards daily, but I would bet you'd be hard pressed to see him consistently Top 15-20. He looks like a mid to late 2nd rounder to me.

Quote Originally Posted by Gonzagit View Post
    Are we sure Rui is a Top 20 pick? I know there's still a lot of potential there, but he's look overmatched against good competition. I think the media ran with the high NBA draft pick story line, but I just don't see it. I'm not scouring the NBA draft boards daily, but I would bet you'd be hard pressed to see him consistently Top 15-20. He looks like a mid to late 2nd rounder to me.
    I would argue that Rui's upside is as high as anyone entering the draft. He's still learning the game...barely played his freshman year, more his sophomore year, this year was the most for minutes of his career. He now has the ability to speak English, an important factor in receiving coaching.

I'm biased, but I think he's a starter kit, albeit few inches shorter version of the Greek Freak.

Wishful thinking, Zagit. Rui is top 10-15 on most and higher on some. Interestingly, there seems a correlation between him and Clarke. On the mocks, one's high, the other low, and vice versa. No such correlation w the overrated Dookies.

Quote Originally Posted by jazzdelmar View Post
    Wishful thinking, Zagit. Rui is top 10-15 on most and higher on some. Interestingly, there seems a correlation between him and Clarke. On the mocks, one's high, the other low, and vice versa. No such correlation w the overrated Dookies.
    Yeah, and this isn't even taking into account the Japanese market appeal that the NBA & whatever franchise gets him will be able to exploit. My bet is that he goes 5-10 as somebody isn't going to pass up a money-making opportunity.

Quote Originally Posted by strikenowhere View Post
    Yeah, and this isn't even taking into account the Japanese market appeal that the NBA & whatever franchise gets him will be able to exploit. My bet is that he goes 5-10 as somebody isn't going to pass up a money-making opportunity.
    Bingo!

I've seen Rui as high as a #4 pick. That was a month ago, won't happen now.

Would be shocked if Tillie signs with an agent and departs. Wouldn't have said that last summer, but he has to prove to NBA personnel, or for that matter, European personnel, that he can stay healthy for an entire season. He's too much of a financial risk right now.

Any player who gets invited to the combine would be stupid not to go unless they are 100% certain to return and have something going on personally that is more important. As mentioned above you can always come back, so long as you don't sign with an agent. I would expect Norvell to test the waters and return.

Rui and Brandon = thanks for the memories and best of luck into the future.

P.S. - there is a Yahoo article that has Brandon going at 7 ahead of Rui. Their draft positions are all over the joint. Again, there are going to be teams that love them, and others that don't. They don't have a Zion/Barrett/Culver/Hunter status where everyone wants them. They just need to find that right organization that values what they bring.

And a reminder as we go thru this process: please stay away from nbadraft.net. It should be taken off the internet. It is universally regarded as being the worst mock site on the net (the fact that it is free tells you all you need to know). They've had lottery picks on their mock that ended up being 2nd rounders in the past.