Page 9 of 11 FirstFirst ... 567891011 LastLast

Thread: Zags and Declaring for the Draft

Quote Originally Posted by DixieZag View Post
    Don't we still have room for one other tx? GZ has promised me personally a fantastic PG tx, bc my needs are extremely important. Snark.

Anyone else so confident in our staff that we will not be THAT down next year even IF Tillie goes pro?

I just think they'd make it work somehow.
    I am confident.

I think that w/o Tillie the Zags will have one of the very best Front courts in College hoops, 3-5. With Tils, the best.

I trust that Gilder and Racet will be able to handle the 1-2 spots but will be nice to have another. BZ has been consistent that there will be another at some point.
    Hoping you have a sense of humor too!

Quote Originally Posted by willandi View Post
    I am confident.

I think that w/o Tillie the Zags will have one of the very best Front courts in College hoops, 3-5.
    With Tils, the best.

I trust that Gilder and Racet will be able to handle the 1-2 spots but will be nice to have another. BZ has been consistent that there will be another at some point.
    I don’t understand how you can think Zags’ front court without Tillie will be one of best in country. Returning a sophomore who played very limited minutes w glaring weaknesses defensively and then 3 freshmen, one of whom is 17 yo, yet to prove anything at the D-1 level. Lots of potential for sure but no way a top front court in the country.
    It is their time....their team...I just get to watch. - Bartruff1

Quote Originally Posted by GonzagasaurusFlex View Post
    I don’t understand how you can think Zags’ front court without Tillie will be one of best in country. Returning a sophomore who played very limited minutes w glaring weaknesses defensively and then 3 freshmen, one of whom is 17 yo, yet to prove anything at the D-1 level. Lots of potential for sure but no way a top front court in the country.
    Because I think Petrusev will have a break out year, I think Timme will be fantastic from the get go, I think Watson and Kispert will handle the 3 with Watson slipping into the 4 at times, and Martynas backing up the 3, and I think Zacharov will show solid minutes at the 5 and Ballo, while young and relatively untested, has been called Baby Shaq.

What other team in the country has that much potential at the 3-5 positions? They're almost like one-and-dones!

Quote Originally Posted by GonzagasaurusFlex View Post
    I get this...

Because I think Petrusev will have a break out year, I think Timme will be fantastic from the get go, I think Watson and Kispert will handle the 3 with Watson slipping into the 4 at times, and Martynas backing up the 3, and I think Zacharov will show solid minutes at the 5 and Ballo, while young and relatively untested, has been called Baby Shaq.

What other team in the country has that much potential at the 3-5 positions? They're almost like one-and-dones!
    ...this as well.

The fence I sit on is cedar.
    I am working on being a more all around square.

The Zags won’t have a top frontcourt even with Tillie.

Quote Originally Posted by jazzdelmar View Post
    I would contend that just a Tillie and Flip FC is solid..top 5? can't say...top 10? Probably
    I am working on being a more all around square.

Your opinion. Mine is different.

What other team, by name (please be specific) have a better 3-5 than the potential of Gonzaga? Name 5 teams so we cover that top 5-10 reference. Please.

i don't get ballo as baby shaq.
    ballo is mobile, can run and jump like men a foot shorter than him
    i am sure shaq could jump a little like karno could , but I think ballo will end up with a much larger game outside the paint than O'Neal did, and I hope a great game inside the paint too.
    ballo is more like an amped up rui but larger IMHO

Shaq dunked everything. Karno didn't.
    This post is for March Madness seeding purposes only.

true one was better than the other, and neither could jump,
    even if ballo dunks everything near the basket in the NBA, he will still have an outside game that Shaq did not have.
    Still don't see Ballo as baby shaq

IF Tillie comes back, and IF his body doesn't let him down and he's able to go full bore all year, it would seem that Petrusev is solid enough that those two and which ever of the loaded newcomers really stands out, that's awfully close to Top 10.

Tillie could be a first team All American. There are zero four year kids with his talent in college. They all do what he would've done, gone to the NBA by year two.

And even when hurt he's going to absorb the system and what Few wants, and technique, so his BB IQ which was never an issue will be off the charts.

So, take one possible all American, put a second year strong 7 footer beside him, and the top frosh standing out, that's almost top 10 by definition.

I also think Petrusev's upside is way bigger than most consider. May not appear this year, but could just as easily.

We are going to likely take a step back, we lost 4 starters! But I am not convinced it will be a huge one.
    Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.
    Mark Twain.

[ZagsGoZags;] and neither could jump,

Shaq was one of the best jumping 7 footers in the history of basketball. Coming out of college he had a 36 inch vertical at 300 pounds. At NBA combine he held the record for the highest max touch (reach +standing vert) at 12-5. Dwight Howard broke that record by an inch. Later in Shaqs career when he was about 360 and knees were shot he couldnt jump very well, but in his prime he was an athletic freak.

Karno not even on the same planet as Shaq when it comes to explosiveness

Quote Originally Posted by DixieZag View Post
    IF Tillie comes back, and IF his body doesn't let him down and he's able to go full bore all year, it would seem that Petrusev is solid enough that those two and which ever of the loaded newcomers really stands out, that's awfully close to Top 10.

Tillie could be a first team All American. There are zero four year kids with his talent in college. They all do what he would've done, gone to the NBA by year two.

And even when hurt he's going to absorb the system and what Few wants, and technique, so his BB IQ which was never an issue will be off the charts.

So, take one possible all American, put a second year strong 7 footer beside him, and the top frosh standing out, that's almost top 10 by definition.

I also think Petrusev's upside is way bigger than most consider. May not appear this year, but could just as easily.

We are going to likely take a step back, we lost 4 starters! But I am not convinced it will be a huge one.

More "Ifs" than Kipling could ever imagine. Even if some of them are remotely possible by next year, I still do not see top 10 frontcourt, a la Rui/Tils/Clarke much less Karno/Zbo/JW/Tils/Rui...c'mon. They'll be good, tho. Now the bottom half backcourt, that's concerning.

More "Ifs" than Kipling could ever imagine. Even if some of them are remotely possible by next year, I still do not see top 10 frontcourt, a la Rui/Tils/Clarke much less Karno/Zbo/JW/Tils/Rui...c'mon. They'll be good, tho. Now the bottom half backcourt, that's concerning.
    Funny. Well done.

I kinda think Rui, Clark, Tills was not ala top 10 but ala top 2 and perhaps unquestionably one.

So, again, a step back is sort of compelled by nature.

And yes, lots of ifs. To be sure.

Still, some reason for "hope" - hope is important.
    Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.
    Mark Twain.

Agreed, young Shaq was a freak athlete. Amazing combination of size, strength, explosion and speed.

Quote Originally Posted by MileHigh View Post
    [ZagsGoZags;] and neither could jump,

Shaq was one of the best jumping 7 footers in the history of basketball. Coming out of college he had a 36 inch vertical at 300 pounds. At NBA combine he held the record for the highest max touch (reach +standing vert) at 12-5. Dwight Howard broke that record by an inch. Later in Shaqs career when he was about 360 and knees were shot he couldnt jump very well, but in his prime he was an athletic freak.

Karno not even on the same planet as Shaq when it comes to explosiveness

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Your opinion. Mine is different.

What other team, by name (please be specific) have a better 3-5 than the potential of Gonzaga? Name 5 teams so we cover that top 5-10 reference. Please.
    You have ignored my request. Top ten simply means that there are not 10 better front courts in the NCAA next year. I am including the 3 in that. It is not top ten front courts in history, just next year.

Name the top ten front courts that are better than Gonzaga, in the NCAA, next year. I just don't know of 10 better ones.

Even the traditional blue bloods have had huge turnover.

On paper, we have a top ten front court BUT that and $3.00 will buy you a cup of coffee at your local Denny’s...

Duke had the #1 recruiting class AND the best player we’ve seen in decades and they had difficulty making the EE...should have been the 1st team to lose two games in the Dance...

Hey, it’s nice to have the players coming in AND hope they develop and adjust to D1 basketball QUICKLY...I’m skeptical on those five front court players adjusting...fingers crossed

Quote Originally Posted by Bogozags View Post
    On paper, we have a top ten front court BUT that and $3.00 will buy you a cup of coffee at your local Denny’s...

Duke had the #1 recruiting class AND the best player we’ve seen in decades and they had difficulty making the EE...should have been the 1st team to lose two games in the Dance...

Hey, it’s nice to have the players coming in AND hope they develop and adjust to D1 basketball QUICKLY...I’m skeptical on those five front court players adjusting...fingers crossed
    True about Duke, but losing in the NCAA's isn't a determination of how good their front court was. Some of it is bad luck, some of it was poor play at any given moment and some was other teams getting hot.

The NBA draft sure seems to think highly of them.

Quote Originally Posted by Bogozags View Post

A team beat Duke in the S16, they just had no answer for the refs on Duke's side. That was a travesty.

Yes, it is strange how in college an extremely strong team can get their wires crossed for one game, and that is it bc they so often run up on a weaker team playing out of its mind.
    Mark Twain.

- I stand with willandi on this one.

- pertusev, kispert, watson, timme, arlauskas, zakharov, ballo, postions 3-5, nobody will pick up his challenge to name and list the players of 10 teams that are better or with as much potential as our squad next year. I say potential because every team lost something and is retooling with transfers and freshmen. I think he has the naysayers checkmated on this one.

- I think as the zags talents has soared to new heights the past 3 years, so have the expectations and even worries of many fans.
    - how else do you explain some who actually doubt we will make the ncaa tourney? or explain the worries of a great champion of the zags, Dixie? or even the reliable pessimism of jazz who says with the above players plus Tillie, we do not have a top frontcourt. I mean really? if that is the case most years when we have been winning games in the tourney we must have been starting a lot of crap. the expectations are so high that even if we (bogo) acknowledge a top frontcourt, it comes with a caveat of being no guarantee of an elite eight run. are we fans turning into blue blood fans? that is we demand an elite eight, f.f. potential team each year?

- if nobody is going to take willandi's challenge to name 10 schools with a better frontcourt (and I get it, that's a lot of work to run thru the rosters of 60 power conference schools). then keep it closer to home and our knowledge base.......name as many Gonzaga squads that you think were better than what we are going to have next year. I believe there are a few, but each of them were clearly 10 ten caliber frontcourts. I suggest the exercise, not to say this new squad is the best, but rather it is going to stack up against many of our other frontcourts that were acknowledged as some of the best in the country at the time.

- and lets keep it real, we have a fairly good idea of what we are getting with this new crew. we have seen the top 100 rating numbers, we see the 4 stars, we have seen many play in person. we have inside reports via Caldwell, that staff are high on arlauskas, and recall how we collectively nearly had a fainting spell when we learned ballo had committed.

- anyway, grading subjectivity and adjectives aside, I'm very well pleased, excited about our team next year, and have no worries that they will not disappoint us, or at least the vast majority of zag fans.

Quote Originally Posted by GuZag2012 View Post
    Agreed, young Shaq was a freak athlete. Amazing combination of size, strength, explosion and speed.
    to Mile High's point and yours, check out Exhibit A at the 40 second mark of this video. it's one letter among the exhibit alphabet the video provides (the 2:02 mark, etc.)

Karno more like Duncan to me in his O execution. Now please, I'm not saying Shem is Tim Duncan. On D, Eaton comes to mind

re. the debate on next year's front line, fun and great points shared all sides

I think it would be easy to name ten potentially better frontcourts beginning with the usual blue bloods...Duke, Kentucky, Kansas, Michigan State, Virginia.....throw in Texas Tech, Auburn, Florida State, …..plenty of them....

Gonzaga MIGHT have one of the 5 best in the West along with Arizona, Oregon, Washington, probably New Mexico State, USC...… but who wants to spend this beautiful day arguing about nothing of consequence on the internet..... who cares, I don't...

They will be the best frontcourt we have this season and that is a demonstrable fact ..

ETA to Add "State" to New Mexico
    Last edited by bartruff1; 05-27-2019 at 09:55 PM.

Smart man. Add UNC, the Ville, Villanova, Memphis, et al. Top 5 in the West sounds about right.

Quote Originally Posted by bartruff1 View Post
    I think it would be easy to name ten potentially better frontcourts beginning with the usual blue bloods...Duke, Kentucky, Kansas, Michigan State, Virginia.....throw in Texas Tech, Auburn, Florida State, …..plenty of them....

Gonzaga MIGHT have one of the 5 best in the West along with Arizona, Oregon, Washington, probably New Mexico, USC...… but who wants to spend this beautiful day arguing about nothing of consequence on the internet..... who cares, I don't...

They will be the best frontcourt we have this year and that is a demonstrable fact ..

Your top 5 or 10 front court statement is outlandish, IMO. But you have a right to make it. It’s subjective. Then you ask me to provide empirical evidence to support my view that it’s outlandish. Bart’s point above is as good as it gets.

You have ignored my request. Top ten simply means that there are not 10 better front courts in the NCAA next year. I am including the 3 in that. It is not top ten front courts in history, just next year.

Name the top ten front courts that are better than Gonzaga, in the NCAA, next year. I just don't know of 10 better ones.

Even the traditional blue bloods have had huge turnover.

Your top 5 or 10 front court statement is outlandish, IMO. But you have a right to make it. It’s subjective. Then you ask me to provide empirical evidence to support my view that it’s outlandish. Bart’s point above is as good as it gets.
    They are opinions. I get that, but to just make YOUR outlandish statements and not even try to support it, that's a cop out.

Will the traditional blue bloods be better? Maybe, but they have all lost a lot, as has Gonzaga, so to just name those names as being better, because they are THE blue bloods is really weak sauce.