Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: Zags and Declaring for the Draft

Quote Originally Posted by Ladyzag12 View Post
    You are being sarcastic right?
    I'm a Knicks fan and no I am not being sarcastic.
    "And Morrison? He did what All-Americans do. He shot daggers in the daylight and stole a win." - Steve Kelley (Seattle Times)

"Gonzaga is a special place, with special people!" - Dan Dickau #21

Foo me once shame on you, Foo me twice shame on me.

2012 Foostrodamus - Foothsayer of Death

Quote Originally Posted by Hoopaholic View Post
    his first step is dynamic and is why he has been succesful at the college level.....next level I dont see this as an extreme advantage

his outside jump shot is a SET shot destined for long armed quick jumpers in nba to block it

his on ball defense is abismal IMO unless he is allowed to muscle you

his off ball defense is great and timing is incredible.....however he wont be allowed to float off ball at the next level or he will get burnt

his primary offensive move is limited to the spin with the chicken wing to gain advantage wont be a consistent move at the next level

has no mid range game or ability to pull up and shoot and at 6-7 dont see him playing the 4 or 5 spot at the next level

but this is coming from someone who does not watch or engage in NBA ,.

he runs flat footed and will be susceptible to injury due to his body type playing the amount of games the nba plays
    This
    "And Morrison? He did what All-Americans do. He shot daggers in the daylight and stole a win." - Steve Kelley (Seattle Times)

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Vulture View Post
    I believe that Zion will be a star in the NBA and don't think his height is a big deal with his strength/athleticism. I think that Morant is a likely star as well and I really like RJ Barrett as potential All Star talent (I see Chris Bosh type player in him). After that, there are many players that could be very good but most have question marks. I like Culver and Rui at the NBA level. I am not as big on Clarke and Hunter at the NBA level. I think that Reddish is waayyy overrated and would benefit by another year of school although that isn't going to happen.
    I've been saying all season that RJ was a much better NBA prospect than Zion.

Quote Originally Posted by LongIslandZagFan View Post
    I would select Ja Morant #1 overall.

Followed by RJ Barrett.

Even Morant's "bad game" vs FSU he had 28 pts, 5 rebs, 4 assists, 2 stls, 5-6 3pt.

His ceiling is Top 3 or 4 PG in the game. I think he's that gifted and good.

Quote Originally Posted by raise the zag View Post
    I would select Ja Morant #1 overall.

Followed by RJ Barrett.

Even Morant's "bad game" vs FSU he had 28 pts, 5 rebs, 4 assists, 2 stls, 5-6 3pt.

His ceiling is Top 3 or 4 PG in the game. I think he's that gifted and good.

Quote Originally Posted by bartruff1 View Post
    I remember when Portland picked Sam Perkins instead of Michael Jordan.....Zion is the answer....just because something is obvious doesn't mean it is wrong...no need to overthink this...
    It was Sam Bowie. They would've been better off with Perkins.

Quote Originally Posted by VinnyZag View Post
    It was Sam Bowie. They would've been better off with Perkins.
    Whoops......but the same lesson applies …..if you get a chance....take the MAN.....don't over think it....
    Last edited by bartruff1; 04-02-2019 at 03:46 PM.

It'll be interesting to Watch ZW's NBA career... I'm in the boat with the people that think his skillset won't necessarily transfer easily to the NBA.

Quote Originally Posted by CdAZagFan View Post
    It'll be interesting to Watch ZW's NBA career... I'm in the boat with the people that think his skillset won't necessarily transfer easily to the NBA.
    Ditto and I’d totally have no problem eating crow should he become a superstar

If Zion's skill set doesn't transfer to the NBA, I am at a loss as to what skills will.

I realize he's a bit undersized for power forward.

But, he utterly dominated that game against UNC, which is the highest level of NCAA ball in existence outside the tourney.

He's explosive, strong, fast, plays WAY above the rim.

He also seems like a pretty good kid - albeit questionable judgment playing for Dook, and it kills me to admit this about any Dook player - but, all things considered, he seemed like one of the harder working, more earnest 5 star one and dones we've seen lately.

Compare him to the UW kid or LSU kid a couple years back. Light year's difference.
    Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.
    Mark Twain.

Quote Originally Posted by DixieZag View Post
    If Zion's skill set doesn't transfer to the NBA, I am at a loss as to what skills will.

But, he utterly dominated that game against UNC, which is the highest level of NCAA ball in existence outside the tourney.

He also seems like a pretty good kid - albeit questionable judgment playing for Dook, and it kills me to admit this about any Dook player - but, all things considered, he seemed like one of the harder working, more earnest 5 star one and dones we've seen lately.

Compare him to the UW kid or LSU kid a couple years back. Light year's difference.
    Right off the bat, you have to question his intelligence. He picked a shoe made for a lightweight man, not a shoe like LeBron wears.
    I'm laughing. Why aren't you?

I never stop being amazed by some of the posts here, despite how much bball y'all watch. Too many of you are buried in the college game to see what makes an NBA player.
    Zion Williamson is a generational talent...the best prospect to come along since Lebron. He put up the best statistical season in the NCAA in the past 20 years by a long margin. He was a phenom in almost every advanced statistic AND he is a freshman. I don't know how any of you can't see him as by far and away the #1 pick.

Brandon Clarke is now up to #12 on ESPN/Givony's Big Board (post 2nd round tournament) and Rui is down to #18. Tankathon's Mock has Clarke at #8 and Rui at #12 (Their Big Board is #4/#20 respectively). This has been the trend all season - Clarke continuously moving up and Rui trickling down. Clarke is going to be drafted higher than Rui as I said back in December. I said he was going to be a lottery pick and I am now saying he will be top 10. Clarke was the 2nd best player in the NCAA by a long margin after Zion.

But go ahead, keep reading the goofs at NBAdraft.net who have Rui at #4 and Clarke in the 30s. Or the goof at SI.com - as mentioned by another poster both are probably on the take in a ridiculous attempt to depress Clarke's value.

And you've been consistently wrong all season (coming from a Team Canada junkie that is saying something).

Quote Originally Posted by Mojo13 View Post
    And you've been consistently wrong all season (coming from a Team Canada junkie that is saying something).
    We'll see.

Quote Originally Posted by DixieZag View Post

See above. Zion is terrific and is a better prospect then anyone in the last few years. I don’t understand this board sometimes and the weird random hate or hot takes people have. Some of this I’m sure has to do with Duke and the publicity he has been given.

To piggyback on this Brandon Clarke is a better NBA prospect then Rui. Tillie may be as well. NBA is a different game.

Quote Originally Posted by therocket View Post
    See above. Zion is terrific and is a better prospect then anyone in the last few years. I don’t understand this board sometimes and the weird random hate or hot takes people have. Some of this I’m sure has to do with Duke and the publicity he has been given.

To piggyback on this Brandon Clarke is a better NBA prospect then Rui. Tillie may be as well. NBA is a different game.
    For me, definitely not about hating Duke... not in the slightest.

This is a good read:

https://www.totalprosports.com/2019/..._BAwJ5b_-dQ97k

And yes the NBA is a different game... which is my whole point about Zion. Hey, for Zion's sake... I hope I am completely wrong. I said before... will gladly eat crow if I am.

For me, definitely not about hating Duke... not in the slightest.

This is a good read:

https://www.totalprosports.com/2019/..._BAwJ5b_-dQ97k

And yes the NBA is a different game... which is my whole point about Zion. Hey, for Zion's sake... I hope I am completely wrong. I said before... will gladly eat crow if I am.
    I'm laughing. Why aren't you?

Jay chases Jahvon:

ESPN. Former five-star recruit Jahvon Quinerly is transferring from Villanova after one season, the school announced Wednesday morning.

"We had a very candid meeting and Jahvon has decided to transfer to another program," coach Jay Wright said in a statement. "We'll miss Jahvon. He's been an outstanding teammate and was an integral part of our success last season. We wish him the best as he approaches the next step in his basketball career."

http://www.espn.com/mens-college-bas...sfer-villanova

Quote Originally Posted by Mojo13 View Post
    . Clarke was the 2nd best player in the NCAA by a long margin after Zion.

I love Clarke, but he was not better than Morant as a college player, nor is he a better pro prospect.

I will go on record and say Zion flames out in the NBA....ala Greg Odom
    In all fairness, Greg flamed out due to chronic injuries. He had to leave the game because he could never stay healthy. He was never given a chance to prove himself.

I think he would've been an incredible center, even in the modern game.

Unfortunately, the Blazers just have a nasty history with this sort of thing happening.....most recently w/ Brandon Roy. Just
    couldn't play anymore.

And speaking of injuries, one of the worries I do have with Zion is his body and the possibility of him developing chronic injuries. It's just so unnatural to see a 6-7'ish forward who weighs 285lbs and reportedly has a 46" vertical. There really has never been a player quite like him in terms of his body. Can it hold up under that many games. I think it's one of the reasons why some scouts feel he needs to drop 20lbs. That is, 20lbs of muscle, because he is not fat.

Quote Originally Posted by CDC84 View Post
    In all fairness, Greg flamed out due to chronic injuries. He had to leave the game because he could never stay healthy. He was never given a chance to prove himself.

I think he would've been an incredible center, even in the modern game.

Unfortunately, the Blazers just have a nasty history with this sort of thing happening.....most recently w/ Brandon Roy. Just
    couldn't play anymore.

And speaking of injuries, one of the worries I do have with Zion is his body and the possibility of him developing chronic injuries. It's just so unnatural to see a 6-7'ish forward who weighs 285lbs and reportedly has a 46" vertical. There really has never been a player quite like him in terms of his body. Can it hold up under that many games. I think it's one of the reasons why some scouts feel he needs to drop 20lbs. That is, 20lbs of muscle, because he is not fat.
    that was my point using Greg Odom as an example...I dont think ZW body will take the NBA rigors
    Basketball...The Toy Department of Life

Don't mess wth happy...Coach Few

I am by no means saying he'll be a bust. But superstar... nuh uh... don't see it happening. I'm not the only one... google for Gilbert Areneas' assessment of him... pretty much mirrors what I have always thought.. TBH... some of the items above came from that because it just solidified what I was feeling but couldn't pinpoint it as well as he did.
    listened to Gilbert talk about Zion....Westbrook height with Shaq weight...kinda wild to visualize

that was my point using Greg Odom as an example...I dont think ZW body will take the NBA rigors
    I agree in that I think Zion's style of play is at risk because of how big he is. Joints just can't take that force for too long. If he looses anything off his hops and quickness, he rapidly trends to average. He better get lots of money up front.
    'I found it is the small everyday deeds of ordinary folk that keep the darkness at bay… small acts of kindness and love.'
    - Gandalf the Grey

Foo Time

Quote Originally Posted by kitzbuel View Post
    I agree in that I think Zion's style of play is at risk because of how big he is. Joints just can't take that force for too long. If he looses anything off his hops and quickness, he rapidly trends to average. He better get lots of money up front.
    Or pay some of the most elite nutritionists and physical therapist/trainers to entirely reinvent his body now that he's an 8 figure a year enterprise.

I would bet that he can go a long way in addressing all of that by taking great care of himself.
    Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.
    Mark Twain.

I view Zion as a Blake Griffin type player in the NBA. Will be good out of the gate due to athleticism & build - then develop a jumper and move into top 25 level talent - then see athleticism drop off and go back to a good player.