Thread: OT: Kentucky Offers Calipari a Lifetime Contract

Exclamation OT: Kentucky Offers Calipari a Lifetime Contract

https://theathletic.com/900121/2019/...ucla-interest/

Per Seth Davis, at The Athletic

The​ University of Kentucky has offered John​ Calipari​ what​ is​ essentially a lifetime​ contract​ extension in​ response to​ a lucrative offer​​ the coach has received from UCLA, The Athletic has learned.

UCLA offered Calipari a contract worth approximately $48 million over six years, according to a source with direct knowledge of the situation. The contacts between Calipari and UCLA have been more extensive than previously reported, but Calipari told UCLA last week he is not interested in leaving Kentucky.

UCLA has $10 M in the waiting. It'll be interesting to see how this weasel negotiation proceeds. Kentucky has great trout fishing. Glad our guy is with us will the end . We are SO lucky.

So I guess this means that Kentucky would do anything to secure a coach who hasn't been to the Final Four the past four years? Based on that thread on the Kentucky board, I was under the impression that nothing short of a Final Four was acceptable to their fanbase.

I mean it could be an April Fool's gag, right? Maybe? Honestly I can't tell one way or the other!

Quote Originally Posted by strikenowhere View Post
    I mean it could be an April Fool's gag, right? Maybe? Honestly I can't tell one way or the other!
    Ha same here!
    Your children have been placed in the custody of...Carl's Jr.

The petition to get me named as the next head coach at UCLA sort of fizzled out. Kinda like UCLA.
    Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.
    Mark Twain.

April Fools, trust me I live in LA and there is no way UCLA a public school is offering 8 million a year even with the Under Armour Contract.

From Seth Davis' Twitter Feed:

Seth Davis

Verified account

@SethDavisHoops
    1h1 hour ago
    More
    And no this is not an April Fools joke. UCLA asked Kentucky for permission to speak to Calipari and it was granted.

Quote Originally Posted by phxfireflames View Post
    April Fools, trust me I live in LA and there is no way UCLA a public school is offering 8 million a year even with the Under Armour Contract.
    I assure you, this new UCLA has the money. Big boosters have stepped up... they are tired of being
    irrelevant... and yes, the UA money helps too.

I work at UCLA part of the year. Easily they could offer someone $10 million per year. They're pretty desperate but who would take this horrible job?? Press on your doorstep? you bet. Followed all day and night? yep. And the fan expectations! One thing...…...money helps but it doesn't buy a title in college. UCLA needs to get rid of the AD and start over.

I never though about Calipari....but that would have been a excellent choice....it figured to be someone who was still playing..... still does...I thought it would be Bennett or Stevens and 50 million for 10 years with other stuff.....I think Beard (TT) is trying hard....would take half that kind of money....

Dixie would have been my choice......

Quote Originally Posted by bartruff1 View Post
    I never though about Calipari....but that would have been a excellent choice....it figured to be someone who was still playing..... still does...I thought it would be Bennett or Stevens and 50 million for 10 years with other stuff.....I think Beard (TT) is trying hard....would take half that kind of money....

Dixie would have been my choice......
    And I would do it for 10% of $10 million per year.

With a 25% money back guarantee if I don't make either the NIT or NCAA.

Just so long as I got near unlimited funds to hire a top assistant ….
    Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.
    Mark Twain.

Quote Originally Posted by DixieZag View Post
    And I would do it for 10% of $10 million per year.

With a 25% money back guarantee if I don't make either the NIT or NCAA.

Just so long as I got near unlimited funds to hire a top assistant ….
    The cheerleaders had some reservations....I told them you were slow and harmless....but....it was a deal breaker...

Quote Originally Posted by bartruff1 View Post
    The cheerleaders had some reservations....I told them you were slow and harmless....but....it was a deal breaker...
    You would not believe the amount of fun I had writing responses to this.

But ….
    Mark Twain.

I do not understand the Tony Bennett idea. Sure, he is a great coach, but they basically fired Ben Howland due to his style of play. I realize he is just one voice, but I distinctly remember Walton saying that Howland should be fired live on air, even if he went on to win national titles, "because this isn't UCLA basketball." I grew up around that program and some people around it. Even more than winning national titles, style of play is the single most important thing to Bruin fans. They want to go up and down the floor like Wooden's teams did. If they hire Bennett, I wouldn't be surprised if he's fired within 7 years or less because Tony isn't going to change, nor should he. I also wouldn't be stunned if Tony rejects the job if offered. He may use it to up his gig at UVA.

I still think Musselman is the best candidate so long as UCLA is willing to pay top dollar for assistants. That's been a big problem in the past. The head coach gets a nice pay day, but the assistants don't make enough to afford to live in Westwood. If the UCLA boosters are really going to step up to the plate, they must understand that paying the assistants premium dollar is as important as the head coach. Especially with a guy like Musselman who has very little experience with high school recruiting. He's been a recruiter of transfers and grad transfers. Yes, he did land a McDonald's AA last off season, but he couldn't get off the bench because he was an overrated prospect who most top programs stopped recruiting at some point, including Gonzaga.

Quote Originally Posted by CDC84 View Post
    I do not understand the Tony Bennett idea. Sure, he is a great coach, but they basically fired Ben Howland due to his style of play. I realize he is just one voice, but I distinctly remember Walton saying that Howland should be fired live on air, even if he went on to win national titles, "because this isn't UCLA basketball." I grew up around that program and some people around it. Even more than winning national titles, style of play is the single most important thing to Bruin fans. They want to go up and down the floor like Wooden's teams did. If they hire Bennett, I wouldn't be surprised if he's fired within 7 years or less because Tony isn't going to change, nor should he. I also wouldn't be stunned if Tony rejects the job if offered. He may use it to up his gig at UVA.

I still think Musselman is the best candidate so long as UCLA is willing to pay top dollar for assistants. That's been a big problem in the past. The head coach gets a nice pay day, but the assistants don't make enough to afford to live in Westwood. If the UCLA boosters are really going to step up to the plate, they must understand that paying the assistants premium dollar is as important as the head coach. Especially with a guy like Musselman who has very little experience with high school recruiting. He's been a recruiter of transfers and grad transfers. Yes, he did land a McDonald's AA last off season, but he couldn't get off the bench because he was an overrated prospect who most top programs stopped recruiting at some point, including Gonzaga.
    I don't understand why Musselman isn't a top candidate for all the big jobs.

As was noted....they want to win...they want to be relevant....defense wins.....Tony Bennett wins.....there is nothing more entertaining than winning.. and he looks the part....says the right things ….runs a clean program....recruits players like him....plays golf … uses the right fork....has a attractive family....

If they were going to hire a coach who is done for the season...they would have done that weeks ago....imho....

So I think it is a coach who is still coaching....there are only 4 still coaching in college basketball and two of them are not going anywhere else....soo...Bennett or Beard..

Or a NBA Coach with proven ability to win at the highest levels in college basketball.....Stevens..
    Last edited by bartruff1; 04-02-2019 at 10:23 AM.

Tony Bennett is a brilliant, top tier coach.

He is a horrible, horrible fit for UCLA.

The blue blood job that Tony would've been perfect for several years back was Indiana.

Back to UCLA job. Just listened to a Kansas City area podcast. There is a report out of Los Angeles that UCLA Is focusing in on Mick Cronin at Cincinnati (may not seem exciting, but I believe he has the 5th longest streak of consecutive NCAA tournaments of any coach in D1) and Jamie Dixon. Cronin's Cincy teams play at a slow tempo, but he plays to his personnel. Dixon, despite being Howland's underling at one point, plays at a pretty fast pace at TCU.

The backup plans: Shaka Smart, Randy Bennett, and former NBA coach Earl Watson.

Do not be surprised if UCLA goes with Cronin. Cincinnati has not moved fast enough to lock him up to a big time contract:

http://www.sportingnews.com/us/ncaa-...k1a3jq978iu7a0