Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 456789 LastLast

Thread: OFFICIAL GAME THREAD = NCAA TOURNEY, FINAL 4, SATURDAY, APRIL 6

Quote Originally Posted by bartruff1 View Post
    I don't get it either...the object of competition is to win...they win...there are no style points in basketball....
    I think it’s because TTU plays too much like the Nasty Boys’ Pistons.

I don't get it either...the object of competition is to win...they win...there are no style points in basketball....
    Now we have heard 3 or 4 long time analysts, players, even HOF guys say Texas Tech runs the most impressive practice they have ever seen.

Have heard this by every announcer in every game as well.

This Coach Beard guy is amazing, runs a tight, focused, efficient ship.

Terrific Coach.

Quote Originally Posted by Zags11 View Post
    I know yall are joking about the points scored on monday night but they are in the title gm. Id rather be playing still scoring 50ppg and try for a chip instead of scoring 88ppg and be at home.

Its like the hoopers who try to have perfect form and shoot 20% compared to the ugly shooting form player who shoots 40% from 3. Its so,so, pretty and people love the style but if its not winning games who cares?
    Yep
    Basketball...The Toy Department of Life

Don't mess wth happy...Coach Few

Quote Originally Posted by Goshzagit View Post
    Rooting for Tech to win it all. If they do Zags would have lost to (6) Nat'l Champs and lost to eventual nat'l champ every time they made the E8 or furthe. Not sure how that's not talked about more...as pointed out by Ltownzag as well.

I think if T-tech wins, it would be the 5th (not 6th) GU opponent in the dance to be national champs.

I came across those numbers when looking at GU's total tournament wins compared with GU's expected wins based on average for their received seedings (we're doing better than average by quite a bit).

Year and opponent result:

99 - national champs (UCONN)
    2000 - elite 8 Purdue
    2001 - final 4 MSU
    2002 - round of 32 WYOMING
    2003 - elite 8 ARIZONO
    2004 - S16 NEVADA
    2005 - S16 TTECH
    2006 - Runner Up UCLA
    2007 - R of 32 INDIANA
    2008 - E8 Davidson (one shot from final4) (Curry)
    2009- Champions (UNC)
    2010 - S16 SYR
    2011 - S16 BYU (Jimmer)
    2012 - FF tOSU
    2013 - FF (wichita state)
    2014 - E8 (1pt loss in OT from FF)
    2015 - Champions (duke)
    2016 - FF - Syracuse
    2017 - Champions - UNC (GU got jobbed by refs, Bill Walton says the world still owes Zach Collins an apology)
    2018 - E8 FLOR ST
    2019 - Champs or runner up TTECH

Quote Originally Posted by Goshzagit View Post
    Now we have heard 3 or 4 long time analysts, players, even HOF guys say Texas Tech runs the most impressive practice they have ever seen.

Have heard this by every announcer in every game as well.

This Coach Beard guy is amazing, runs a tight, focused, efficient ship.

Terrific Coach.
    I've heard those comments as well and wondered what their practices are all about. Did you catch any specifics on the differences?

Quote Originally Posted by LTownZag View Post
    I think if T-tech wins, it would be the 5th (not 6th) GU opponent in the dance to be national champs.

I came across those numbers when looking at GU's total tournament wins compared with GU's expected wins based on average for their received seedings (we're doing better than average by quite a bit).

Year and opponent result:

99 - national champs (UCONN)
    2000 - elite 8 Purdue
    2001 - final 4 MSU
    2002 - round of 32 WYOMING
    2003 - elite 8 ARIZONO
    2004 - S16 NEVADA
    2005 - S16 TTECH
    2006 - Runner Up UCLA
    2007 - R of 32 INDIANA
    2008 - E8 Davidson (one shot from final4) (Curry)
    2009- Champions (UNC)
    2010 - S16 SYR
    2011 - S16 BYU (Jimmer)
    2012 - FF tOSU
    2013 - FF (wichita state)
    2014 - E8 (1pt loss in OT from FF)
    2015 - Champions (duke)
    2016 - FF - Syracuse
    2017 - Champions - UNC (GU got jobbed by refs, Bill Walton says the world still owes Zach Collins an apology)
    2018 - E8 FLOR ST
    2019 - Champs or runner up TTECH
    Dang, I thought GU played MSU in 2000, not 2001. They have lost to 10 teams that made the FF that year.

Texas Tech knocked out of tourney last year by Villanova

Quote Originally Posted by Zagceo View Post
    Texas Tech knocked out of tourney last year by Villanova
    And UNC was knocked out in 2016 by the national champions Villanova and won it the following year too!

(not sure this means anything except that T-Tech, UNC, and Villanova have all been good for multiple years in a row recently)

we agree.

I want to know the rules before we start, and have them evenly enforced

the film is there, whatever folks are saying about the great practices, which they may be. I would reply, watch the video.

it's time to start teaching kids to reach and grab; that's what they're seeing out there, it's legal, so why teach them not to; literally teach them to slap down instead of the opposite lol. I wonder if teams will be allowed to get away with it next year. this will be dubbed the year of D becasue of the way they allowed games to be played, so maybe next year is an adjustment to this.

makes for greatness if you are allowed to get away with it.

and Guy got fouled in the VA game, the interesting thing was the whistle blew

Quote Originally Posted by GeorgiaZagFan View Post
    I am sad for this game....I DESPISE the type of basketball Texas Tech plays...they foul SO MUCH but get away with it because they've convinced the world that they are a good defensive team....to me they are very athletic and they work hard but they get away with so much that is NOT basketball!!!
    There are those on this forum that believe this is just physical ball and because both teams COULD do it, the game is called fairly when the fouls aren't called.

I agree with you. Slapping and hacking is against the rules and is not good basketball.
    Hoping you have a sense of humor too!

I think Texas Tech Michigan State and Virginia play tough defense. They move their feet and have active hands.

Slapping the ball is perfectly legal because some don’t like it doesn’t make it illegal.

Whining about refs is weak. Good teams adapt.

Asst coach mastermind of TTU defense: https://www.apnews.com/21a47a972d1d484e969340f7bc0ead76

Quote Originally Posted by Zagceo View Post
    I think Texas Tech Michigan State and Virginia play tough defense. They move their feet and have active hands.

Slapping the ball is perfectly legal because some don’t like it doesn’t make it illegal.

Whining about refs is weak. Good teams adapt.
    oh come on, defending them is weak when they suck, or they actually are doing what they are supposed to on those plays this tournament

always fun to discuss things with you

slapping the ball is legal, true. active hands is also a good thing in passing lanes and tipped balls and scooping under on the dribble, but not reaching at the rim or off the bounce; it's off the bounce where it's being allowed and specifically, on the gather to attack the rim, on most all drives in these TT games, they are all Karl Malone out there, very famous for defending on the ground reaching with his hands. BUT he did it in the post banging, not off the bounce defense like we're seeing. it's a tactic Beard uses that his team is not whistled for like other teams are. Aaron Craft did it all the time, for example....

and we agree, adapt. like I said, start teaching kids to do it because it's allowed whether you get the ball, or not. we'll see if it's still allowed next season tho like this

anyway, if you don't see that, ok, you you can call the observations I just shared weak if you'd like, but it's not whining if it's accurate, maybe uncomfortable though. and the video is clear they are not getting all ball.

and I didn't put you or your perspective down as weak
    Last edited by bballbeachbum; 04-06-2019 at 09:08 PM. Reason: Craft

TSN on Auburn's heart breaking loss to UVA:

http://www.sportingnews.com/us/ncaa-...x1ahxmtabsh673

What happened? With 1.5 seconds remaining, Virginia was inbounding the ball from the sideline opposite the team benches, after Auburn had spent the second of two fouls it had available to disrupt the Cavaliers’ progress up the court. UVA ran a play designed to get All-American guard Kyle Guy a shot from the near corner. He caught the pass and, given the short amount of time remaining, spun into a 3-point attempt. It did not connect.

There might have been a reason. As Guy launched the shot and descended to the court, Auburn guard Samir Doughty, a 6-4 junior from Philadelphia, crowded into his landing spot. Official James Breeding signaled a foul.

“Foul. Every single time,” a high-major official who worked the NCAA Tournament texted to Sporting News. “No such thing as incidental contact on a jump-shooter. The farther away you are from the basket, the less contact you can absorb without it affecting your shot. … That’s a big-time call.”

It will be controversial because it is rare for a judgment call to impact such an important game so near to its conclusion — though not because the official was incorrect.

“Honestly, I thought it was some BS,” Auburn guard Malik Dunbar said in a quiet Auburn locker room. “I didn’t like it, but there wasn’t anything I could do about it.”

J.D. Collins, the national coordinator for officiating, confirmed the call was correct as called on the court.

"The foul was a violation of Rule 4, Section 39.i, which states, 'Verticality applies to a legal position and also to both the offensive and defensive players," Collins said in a statement. "'The basic components of the principle of verticality are: The defender may not ‘belly up’ or use the lower part of the body or arms to cause contact outside his vertical plane or inside the opponent's vertical plane.'"
    The locker room stayed closed longer than normal, in part so NCAA selection committee chair Bernard Muir and vice president of basketball Dan Gavitt could speak to the team.

I don't know how other Gonzaga fans feel, but Texas Tech's commanding performance over Michigan State, who I felt had the best shot of winning the national title of this final 4 group, eases SOME of the pain from last Saturday's loss to the Red Raiders. It really showed what a fine team the Red Raiders have. I'd love to see them win the title Monday night. However, if UVA wins it Monday night, it really shows what a crazy sport college basketball is. You can go from losing to a 16 seed one year to winning it all the next.

Quote Originally Posted by CDC84 View Post
    I don't know how other Gonzaga fans feel, but Texas Tech's commanding performance over Michigan State, who I felt had the best shot of winning the national title of this final 4 group, eases SOME of the pain from last Saturday's loss to the Red Raiders. It really showed what a fine team the Red Raiders have. I'd love to see them win the title Monday night. However, if UVA wins it Monday night, it really shows what a crazy sport college basketball is. You can go from losing to a 16 seed one year to winning it all the next.
    Great thoughts. I would add that if Texas Tech blows out Virginia (possible), the reality is that the true National Championship game was the West Regional Final. I am rooting Texas Tech, but won't be sad if Tony Bennett wins a natty.

Quote Originally Posted by rawkmandale View Post
    Great thoughts. I would add that if Texas Tech blows out Virginia (possible), the reality is that the true National Championship game was the West Regional Final. I am rooting Texas Tech, but won't be sad if Tony Bennett wins a natty.
    You must be a Physicists and a student of Quantum Mechanics..... who theorize that consciousness creates reality ???

But for those of us that accept that big and slow moving things are real.... and that in reality..... the game for the National Championship...... is actually the game for the National Championship …… and between Virginia and TT....

Quote Originally Posted by CDC84 View Post
    TSN on Auburn's heart breaking loss to UVA:

http://www.sportingnews.com/us/ncaa-...x1ahxmtabsh673
    Crowded into his landing spot.....try he made contact with the shooters leg while in a the air

Judgement call? Guess you could claim every call during a game is judgement call

Quote Originally Posted by Hoopaholic View Post
    Crowded into his landing spot.....try he made contact with the shooters leg while in a the air
    And before the ball had left his hand

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Will UCLA get a meeting with Bennett or Beard since Dixon deal fell apart?

I say yes and both get a raise and stay home.

Quote Originally Posted by Hoopaholic View Post

Judgement call? Guess you could claim every call during a game is judgement call
    yep, it's a foul. have certainly seen those NOT called in that situation tho, and afterwards all the talk is, "they were so tough", or "we were so tough", or" you want to let the kids decide it at the end" or whatever. the whistle blew this time when the foul occurred, didn't swallow it this time.

ok, noted.

Quote Originally Posted by bballbeachbum View Post
    yep, it's a foul. have certainly seen those NOT called in that situation tho, and afterwards all the talk is, "they were so tough", or "we were so tough", or" you want to let the kids decide it at the end" or whatever. the whistle blew this time when the foul occurred, didn't swallow it this time.

ok, noted.
    Texas Tech was tougher. There is a reason they are still playing.

Quote Originally Posted by bballbeachbum View Post

ok, noted.
    I think it's wrong to swallow a whistle on a clear foul no matter if it's in first minute or last second play...I don't recall seeing in the rule book a section to choose to ignore a violation of the rule book if the game is close or end of game

Referring integrity. Call the obvious stay away from 50-50 and NEVER guess

Quote Originally Posted by BavarianZag View Post
    And before the ball had left his hand

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Even if left hand contact prior to landing is still foul in act of shooting

The shot was an inch or so short of going in. The defender pushed Guy away from the basket with his body while he was in the act of shooting. You could see the defender jump 12 inches or so toward the shooter (he was standing inside the three point line when he jumped, and landed well outside it), make body contact, and push Guy’s body toward the sideline. This shouldn’t even be controversial.

Guy still had to make his free throws, so the game was still decided by a player.

The double dribble, though...

(*Sour grapes warning*) One could argue that with all of the hacking allowed, or allowing people to jump from out of bounds to save a ball, that the rules don’t really apply in March. That might be the better argument to make.