Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 26

Thread: Let's Talk Dollars and Cents

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Mar 2019
    Posts
    114

    Default Let's Talk Dollars and Cents

    We should obviously be thankful to have a team that is this good year in year out and that has guys you are excited to cheer about. No fake classes, no assistants bribing players, and no suspicious upscale housing in Spokane for top recruits' families. Part of the reason we are doing so well is because of how well the school has managed our resources and sought financial opportunities for the program.

    In 2017-2018 we ranked 27th nationally in revenue and were in 7th place amongst private schools (Duke, Syracuse, Marquette, Northwestern, Villanova,and TCU were just in front of us). We were third overall for schools that do not have a major football team (Marquette and Villanova).

    We had the second highest revenue for a West Coast team (Arizona was in front of us).

    Finally, Mark Few makes 1.78 million dollars a year based on his current contract. He and his family have literally given up millions of dollars to stay at GU. That is 60th in the country. Duke pays Coach K over 7 a year. Virginia pays Tony over 4 a year. Tom Crean finagled his way into 3.2 million at Georgia. If Mark Few called IU today, they would give him 4 million a year easy. Thank you coach.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    2,064

    Default

    Thank you Coach for working for ‘Few’er $s

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    1,026

    Default

    Just to clarify, Few makes around $3,000,000/yr and probably more. Indiana might pay him more but he would face a lot more pressure than he does at GU. Don't get me wrong, he has done a wonderful job at GU. He, his staff, and the university seem to do it the right way. I have to believe that it is a huge boost when recruiting to know that Few is going to be here long after you've played your 1-5 years. But it is very much a symbiotic relationship. The university is very supportive as is the community. Win or lose, he takes virtually no heat from the university, the boosters, or the local press. He will NEVER be fired. Indiana and other big name programs would expect him to do annually what he has done at GU and they would have little patience for mediocrity. The smartest move that he ever made was the decision to make no move at all.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    1,214

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Ladyzag12 View Post
    We should obviously be thankful to have a team that is this good year in year out and that has guys you are excited to cheer about. No fake classes, no assistants bribing players, and no suspicious upscale housing in Spokane for top recruits' families. Part of the reason we are doing so well is because of how well the school has managed our resources and sought financial opportunities for the program.

    In 2017-2018 we ranked 27th nationally in revenue and were in 7th place amongst private schools (Duke, Syracuse, Marquette, Northwestern, Villanova,and TCU were just in front of us). We were third overall for schools that do not have a major football team (Marquette and Villanova).

    We had the second highest revenue for a West Coast team (Arizona was in front of us).

    Finally, Mark Few makes 1.78 million dollars a year based on his current contract. He and his family have literally given up millions of dollars to stay at GU. That is 60th in the country. Duke pays Coach K over 7 a year. Virginia pays Tony over 4 a year. Tom Crean finagled his way into 3.2 million at Georgia. If Mark Few called IU today, they would give him 4 million a year easy. Thank you coach.
    Gonzaga is a private school so its Coaching Salaries aren't publicly released but with that said Mark Few is from from being the 60th highest paid Coach in the NCAA.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    4 miles from MAC
    Posts
    3,824

    Default

    According to this USA Today 2019 survey of NCAA men's basketball salaries Mark Few comes in at #61 with a salary of $1,779,635! According to the chart he receives no bonuses. I have no idea about possible shoe, TV, etc financial arrangements? To see methodology see "Click Here" at the bottom of the chart.

    Link: https://sports.usatoday.com/ncaa/sal...ketball/coach/

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    1,591

    Default

    So how does the is tie in with your "Change Leagues" crusade? In turn, how does this tie in with the reason Greivis Vásquez did not attend GU tinfoil hat theory of yours? Asking for friend.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Mar 2019
    Posts
    114

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by vandalzag View Post
    So how does the is tie in with your "Change Leagues" crusade? In turn, how does this tie in with the reason Greivis Vásquez did not attend GU tinfoil hat theory of yours? Asking for friend.
    That is not a tinfoil hat theory. There is a reason we have missed on high major American players more often than not. Better conference means even better revenue and a more sustainable footing for the program. We can't recruit domestically with the Oregon's, UCLAs, Arizona's, and even the UW of the world. I am glad Few gives up money to coach here. Who knows how good he could make a high major program.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    6,991

    Default

    Greivis certainly made the right choice ….we had to settle for some kid from Colorado named Matt Bouldin.....

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Mar 2019
    Posts
    114

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by bartruff1 View Post
    Greivis certainly made the right choice ….we had to settle for some kid from Colorado named Matt Bouldin.....
    Grievis Vasquez>>>>> Matt Bouldin not even close

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    6,991

    Default

    I know it.....Matt was the quintessential Zag.....Greivis was not a good fit....it is great how these things work out....

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    Missouri
    Posts
    9,072

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Ladyzag12 View Post
    Grievis Vasquez>>>>> Matt Bouldin not even close
    Vazquez never made a sweet sixteen ... Bouldin did. Grievis also ended up missing tourney his sophomore year, something Matt never did

    I really don’t care about one player you keep insisting we missed on. We also missed on Damien Lillard and picked Demetri Goodson instead. Who cares. Wouldn’t trade anything that’s happened for anything ... it’s part of the journey. Pangos picked us over Michigan. Why aren’t you mentioning that? Or why Byron Wesley, Danny D, Kyle Wiltjer, JW3 or NWG left P5 schools for a small school in Spokane?

    Vazquez while great wouldn’t have been a fit here. Bouldin was and had great success here including going further with the same seed Vazquez had (#4)

    I’m done talking about a non zag. Nearly irrelevant here lol
    21 Straight Big Dances

    11 Straight Round of 32s

    10 Sweet Sixteens (5 Straight)

    4 Elite Eights

    2017 FINAL FOUR

    2 Winningest Players in college basketball history (Karnowski 137, Perkins 134)

    The Best Point Guard to ever play the game: John Stockton, most assists, most steals.

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Mar 2019
    Posts
    114

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by gonzagafan62 View Post
    Vazquez never made a sweet sixteen ... Bouldin did. Grievis also ended up missing tourney his sophomore year, something Matt never did

    I really don’t care about one player you keep insisting we missed on. We also missed on Damien Lillard and picked Demetri Goodson instead. Who cares. Wouldn’t trade anything that’s happened for anything ... it’s part of the journey. Pangos picked us over Michigan. Why aren’t you mentioning that? Or why Byron Wesley, Danny D, Kyle Wiltjer, JW3 or NWG left P5 schools for a small school in Spokane?

    Vazquez while great wouldn’t have been a fit here. Bouldin was and had great success here including going further with the same seed Vazquez had (#4)

    I’m done talking about a non zag. Nearly irrelevant here lol
    If you looked at my other postings you would see that I have commended the staff on working the grad transfer market. Most of those transfers have been from a coaching situation blowing up or being over recruited. When faced with those decisions Gonzaga looks pretty good considering most blue bloods don't go after many grad transfers. Also Grievis Vasquez was the ACC player of the year and a second team all american. We definitely could have used him.

  13. #13

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Ladyzag12 View Post
    We should obviously be thankful to have a team that is this good year in year out and that has guys you are excited to cheer about. No fake classes, no assistants bribing players, and no suspicious upscale housing in Spokane for top recruits' families. Part of the reason we are doing so well is because of how well the school has managed our resources and sought financial opportunities for the program.

    In 2017-2018 we ranked 27th nationally in revenue and were in 7th place amongst private schools (Duke, Syracuse, Marquette, Northwestern, Villanova,and TCU were just in front of us). We were third overall for schools that do not have a major football team (Marquette and Villanova).

    We had the second highest revenue for a West Coast team (Arizona was in front of us).

    Finally, Mark Few makes 1.78 million dollars a year based on his current contract. He and his family have literally given up millions of dollars to stay at GU. That is 60th in the country. Duke pays Coach K over 7 a year. Virginia pays Tony over 4 a year. Tom Crean finagled his way into 3.2 million at Georgia. If Mark Few called IU today, they would give him 4 million a year easy. Thank you coach.
    Very naive to think Few is only bringing down 1.78... a lot of coaches make $$$$$ from shoe contracts, bonuses, CAMPS, public appearances, etc.

    I would guess Few is in the 2.5-3 range per year.. possibly more.

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Mar 2019
    Posts
    114

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by zagsfanforlife View Post
    Very naive to think Few is only bringing down 1.78... a lot of coaches make $$$$$ from shoe contracts, bonuses, CAMPS, public appearances, etc.

    I would guess Few is in the 2.5-3 range per year.. possibly more.
    Again you could assume this about every private school on the list and I find it unlikely that his mystery compensation is much better than top tier public money incentives. He leaves a lot of money on the table to stay here.

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Hilton Head (Bluffton), SC
    Posts
    4,239

    Default

    Can’t remember where I read this but he gives his TV money to his assistant coaches to augment their salaries, which IMO justmsolidifies the “GU Family”

  16. #16
    Join Date
    Mar 2019
    Posts
    114

    Default

    Our staff and their willingness to stick together is truly incredible. They put ego and personal ambition aside to push the program forward.

  17. #17
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    On an island that is long
    Posts
    12,333

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Ladyzag12 View Post
    If you looked at my other postings you would see that I have commended the staff on working the grad transfer market. Most of those transfers have been from a coaching situation blowing up or being over recruited. When faced with those decisions Gonzaga looks pretty good considering most blue bloods don't go after many grad transfers. Also Grievis Vasquez was the ACC player of the year and a second team all american. We definitely could have used him.
    At the cost of him possibly being less of a team player... because heck... the idea that he wouldn't play for GU because of the gyms as opposed to, I don't know, how well GU actually develops players, rings highly of selfishness. Sorry... don't care how good he was. If that was his attitude, then he would never have fit in at GU at all. So in the end... GU was all the better for it.
    "And Morrison? He did what All-Americans do. He shot daggers in the daylight and stole a win." - Steve Kelley (Seattle Times)

    "Gonzaga is a special place, with special people!" - Dan Dickau #21

    Foo me once shame on you, Foo me twice shame on me.

    2012 Foostrodamus - Foothsayer of Death

  18. #18
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    University Place, WA (aka Chambers Bay)
    Posts
    4,769

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Bogozags View Post
    Can’t remember where I read this but he gives his TV money to his assistant coaches to augment their salaries, which IMO justmsolidifies the “GU Family”
    Correct. That’s the only reason he agreed to do the show. For being in a public job Fewie is still a private guy. But this was something he couldn’t delegate to staff (unlike the post game interviews)

    "To be continued ....."
    Father Tony Lehman, SJ

  19. #19
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Twin Cities
    Posts
    3,093

    Default Didn't see this mentioned

    Coach Few also assures his assistant Coaches are well compensated and empowered.

    This is one of many reasons they stick around so long compared to so many other schools.

    Duke, Georgia, Virginia pay their Head Coach more, yet Coach Few sacrifices more money at the "top" to he disbursed to his terrific staff as well.

    Our assistant coaches are paid with the best of them. And Coach Few's selflessness is a big reason.

    A few yrs ago, another poster pointed out Coach Lloyd is one of the highest paid asst coaches in the west. Much deserved of course

  20. #20
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Down the street and around the corner
    Posts
    44,848

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Ladyzag12 View Post
    If you looked at my other postings . . .
    I'll pass. Based on your track record so far, however, it looks like you post the way Norvell, Jr shoots. . .in great volume.

  21. #21
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    4 miles from MAC
    Posts
    3,824

    Default

    Somewhere on this board is mention basketball camp money goes to the assistant coaches. I believe it was discussed either on a Tom Hudson radio show or perhaps in a Jim Meehan column. I can't locate the source but I'm certain it is a fact!

  22. #22
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Irving, TX
    Posts
    8,328

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by RenoZag View Post
    I'll pass. Based on your track record so far, however, it looks like you post the way Norvell, Jr shoots. . .in great volume.
    Zach's far more accurate, to say the least.

  23. #23
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    sierra foothills
    Posts
    12,552

    Default

    on recruiting, you win some, you lose some.

    then you adapt and figure it out other ways to overcome...or gripe about not getting this guy, and complain about not having this schedule, or that conference, lol

    re. Few's salary, he's made it pretty clear he understands happiness and defines it differently than having given up millions, as was put in the OP. It's $$$ and sense to him, and God bless him for that leadership in our society that tries to insist on defining success in $$$ terms alone, not sense.

    anyway, I clicked on this thread to talk $$$ and cents thinking the discussion would be about how much each tournament win is worth to their conference, the recruiting prestige and bragging rights it brings, the exposure, the coaches' raises, the happy powerful alumni, oh and let's not forget the networks advertisers and the shoe companies, evidently. $$$ and cents

  24. #24
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    667

    Default

    You guys have sooo much good to talk about.
    And you are.
    So my point is...I don't have one.
    Except that what would you be talking about a dozen years ago?
    Not this. So ENJOY !!!
    GU and its fans are very fortunate and very deserving.
    Can't wait to see how things shake out for next year.
    Meet me in Moraga. Drinks and Taco's (or Pizza) on me. Limited attendance

  25. #25
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    1,437

    Default

    The team I choose to root for has an obligation to pay their coaches well.
    The hallmark of a second class person is the resentment of another's success-R.W. Emerson
    Whatever you focus your mind on grows, grow a rose garden and not a weed patch-Dr Paul

    .

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •