Thread: Offering up some tech advice

Default Offering up some tech advice

Thought I'd start a thread where people can seek or offer tech advice. Can be computer/entertainment system/etc... whatever..

Just going to throw this out here to start...

If you are in the market for a new desktop computer or a computer you can hook up to your TV... I have a solid suggestion for you.

With very little tech experience you can build your own computer and the thing will be tiny (about 4" X 4" and about 2" high).

Get an Intel NUC. If you already have a copy of Windows 10, I'd highly recommend getting the kit version that you assemble yourself. Then just get 8-16GB worth of RAM and either a small form-factor hard drive or better yet an SSD drive. It supports both. It has HDMI out so you can set it up with your TV if you want. Built one here at work and gotta say the little thing has impressed the heck out of me. Going to build another for home. It has WiFi and Bluetooth built in so you can get wireless keyboard or mouse to attach to it (logitech makes a great keyboard and mouse bluetooth combo) and not use any of your USB ports.

"And Morrison? He did what All-Americans do. He shot daggers in the daylight and stole a win." - Steve Kelley (Seattle Times)

"Gonzaga is a special place, with special people!" - Dan Dickau #21

Foo me once shame on you, Foo me twice shame on me.

2012 Foostrodamus - Foothsayer of Death

wow, that's awesome! only a little bigger than my appletv
    Bring back the OCC

Quote Originally Posted by gu03alum View Post
    wow, that's awesome! only a little bigger than my appletv
    With an SSD as your drive... thing boots up in seconds. Full blown win 10 on it. Very nice machine.
    "And Morrison? He did what All-Americans do. He shot daggers in the daylight and stole a win." - Steve Kelley (Seattle Times)

I second the Logitech wireless keyboard and mouse combo. I've had mine since 2005. The touch is great and and both have worked without any issues despite heavy use for over a decade.

I am curious as to how it compares to a regular PC. Does it have a hard drive to store stuff in, including off line games, or is it basically internet only?
    Hoping you have a sense of humor too!

Quote Originally Posted by willandi View Post
    I am curious as to how it compares to a regular PC. Does it have a hard drive to store stuff in, including off line games, or is it basically internet only?
    Solid state hard drive. Probably get as big a drive as you want.

Sent from my XT1710-02 using Tapatalk
    'I found it is the small everyday deeds of ordinary folk that keep the darkness at bay… small acts of kindness and love.'
    - Gandalf the Grey

Foo Time

Quote Originally Posted by willandi View Post
    The one I built at work has a 250GB solid state HD.... you can get the small form factor hard drives that go up to 1TB, solid states tend to max out at 500GB without the price getting extreme, although they have come down in price.

Beyond that... it is straight up a regular PC. I have Windows 10, with office, the whole 9 yards on it. Limitations are really only the connections 5 USB/1 HDMI/1 Thunderbolt (personally using that one instead of HDMI)/1 RJ-45 Network connector

ETA... once you go SSHD... you won't go back. Boot times are a fraction of a regular hard drive.