Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

Thread: Join Another League

Yeah it is but it would suck losing out on the auto bid and we'd need a good revenue sharing program for NCAa tournament units.

Quote Originally Posted by CB4 View Post
    Yeah it is but it would suck losing out on the auto bid and we'd need a good revenue sharing program for NCAa tournament units.
    Also it'd be tough to schedule noncon games in Jan and Feb.

Quote Originally Posted by seacatfan View Post
    Hasn't really done much for Butler either. Other than Villanova the Big East is nothing to get excited about.
    When you lose the best coach in college basketball you are going to fall off. They have had at least 4 NCAA bids every season since realignment, including 7 in 2016-2017. They have two national championships over that same period. The Big East is generally the third or fourth best basketball conference in the country depending on how good the SEC is. The only issue with joining the Big East, which is a major one, is travel. Gonzaga brings enough money to overcome that.

Quote Originally Posted by gonzagafan62 View Post
    And really all you did was prove my point lol
    I want to move to a real conference. AAC is slightly better than the WCC, especially when you consider top to bottom.

21 straight appearancees in the tournament. 18 1st round wins, 5 sweet 16's in a row, 3 out of 5 years elite 8, a final 4, and a national championship game. That's one great run from a team in the lowly WCC.

I can't imagine better results playing in a different league. Would we have more competition throughout the league if we moved? Yes. Would we change our ooc scheduling? Yes. We would swap tough ooc scheduling to more winnable teams like the p5 schools do. Making the tournament would be easier but seeding would probably fall.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Ladyzag12 View Post
    When you lose the best coach in college basketball you are going to fall off. They have had at least 4 NCAA bids every season since realignment, including 7 in 2016-2017. They have two national championships over that same period. The Big East is generally the third or fourth best basketball conference in the country depending on how good the SEC is. The only issue with joining the Big East, which is a major one, is travel. Gonzaga brings enough money to overcome that.
    Villanova has 2 National Championships. The rest of the league not only has no Titles, they also have no Final Four appearances I'm pretty sure (since the realignment). If the WCC doesn't prepare Gonzaga for the Tourney, why is GU doing better in the Tourney than every Big East team other than Villanova?

Clearly the Big East is superior to the WCC. I didn't say otherwise. Other than Villanova, which team is routinely making deep runs in the Tourney? None of them. That is the point. And Georgetown sucks. They are very pale shadow of what they used to be. They almost never make the Tourney. Why even include them? I would argue St. Mary's is a better basketball program at this point that Georgetown. And St. John's, are you kidding? What have they done in the last decade or more? Nothing. BYU might even be a better program than St. John's, and I'm always bagging on BYU.
    St. Mary's was better this year than Georgetown. Georgetown is light years ahead of them as a program. The only thing holding Georgetown back is politics. The administration could not fire JT3 without bringing in another African American coach. Ewing was decent in his first year. Georgetown is one of the top dogs in the best recruiting area in the country and has tons of resources.

Quote Originally Posted by CB4 View Post
    The way I see it, the biggest challenge to an 11 team Big East, 20 game schedule (10 road/10 away), is the far East teams (Nova/Providence/St. Johns/Georgetown/Seton Hall). The rest of the away games are mid west teams. The goal would be to mitigate travel stress.

Trip 1 @ Providence/Seton Hall/St. John's - after Christmas, before school starts in mid January (3 games).

Trip 2 @ Villanova, Georgetown on days near MLK weekend (2 games)

Trip 3 @ Xavier/Butler on days near Presidents day weekend (2 games)

Trip 4 @ Marquette, DePaul on week before/after week where Zags play only one home game (2 games)

Trip 5: Single game at Creighton (1 game)

Doable. Other programs stay in WCC or join Big West.
    But there is no invitation.

Sent from my XT1710-02 using Tapatalk
    'I found it is the small everyday deeds of ordinary folk that keep the darkness at bay… small acts of kindness and love.'
    - Gandalf the Grey

Foo Time

Gonzaga does well in spite of, not because of the WCC. Do not confuse correlation with causation.

Joining a league for just 1 sport would seem like a desperate suggestion to provide the image of upgrading the men’s BB program. Having all the sports join the BE would be crazy. There really doesn’t appear to be a good option for GU other than remaining in the WCC. JMO.

The same old tired tropes we have heard for at least 10 years....

Option 1 stop reading the thread. )

Few is not going to play top teams without a home and home....and very few top teams are willing to play in the Kennel …..

Keep looking for a pony...

St. Mary's was better this year than Georgetown. Georgetown is light years ahead of them as a program. The only thing holding Georgetown back is politics. The administration could not fire JT3 without bringing in another African American coach. Ewing was decent in his first year. Georgetown is one of the top dogs in the best recruiting area in the country and has tons of resources.
    Riiiiiiiiight
    21 Straight Big Dances

11 Straight Round of 32s

10 Sweet Sixteens (5 Straight)

4 Elite Eights

2017 FINAL FOUR

2 Winningest Players in college basketball history (Karnowski 137, Perkins 134)

The Best Point Guard to ever play the game: John Stockton, most assists, most steals.

Quote Originally Posted by MJ777 View Post
    Joining a league for just 1 sport would seem like a desperate suggestion to provide the image of upgrading the men’s BB program. Having all the sports join the BE would be crazy. There really doesn’t appear to be a good option for GU other than remaining in the WCC. JMO.
    WCC usually ranks in the top 12 of conferences in hoops.

The Zags received some very valuable concessions to stay in the WCC.

We usually don't perform well after a cross country flight...most college teams don't.

I think it's time to put this baby to bed, at least until the current TV contracts for certain basketball conferences expire.

Quote Originally Posted by bartruff1 View Post
    Few is not going to play top teams without a home and home....and very few top teams are willing to play in the Kennel …..
    I'm with Few on this. The Zags have earned the right to expect a home and home when scheduling other power teams.

Quote Originally Posted by MJ777 View Post
    The rest of the sports could stay in the WCC and it really is not that big of a loss not having sports in the same conference. Navy, Army, BYU, and ND all do it for football. I would argue our basketball team is analogous to that situation. Teams are also way more committed financially to basketball in the Big East vs WCC. Average Revenue and expenses is almost double the WCC.

Riiiiiiiiight
    How can you not think that Georgetown is a way bigger and better program than St. Mary's? Randy is an amazing coach, but Georgetown has multiple final fours, a championship, multiple basketball hall of famers, and outspends them roughly 3 to 1. Georgetown is a premier program.

How can you not think that Georgetown is a way bigger and better program than St. Mary's? Randy is an amazing coach, but Georgetown has multiple final fours, a championship, multiple basketball hall of famers, and outspends them roughly 3 to 1. Georgetown is a premier program.
    Was, not now. They are a joke. Just like UCLA
    21 Straight Big Dances

11 Straight Round of 32s

10 Sweet Sixteens (5 Straight)

4 Elite Eights

2017 FINAL FOUR

2 Winningest Players in college basketball history (Karnowski 137, Perkins 134)

The Best Point Guard to ever play the game: John Stockton, most assists, most steals.

The rest of the sports could stay in the WCC and it really is not that big of a loss not having sports in the same conference. Navy, Army, BYU, and ND all do it for football. I would argue our basketball team is analogous to that situation. Teams are also way more committed financially to basketball in the Big East vs WCC. Average Revenue and expenses is almost double the WCC.
    WCC would most likely kick the rest of the Gonzaga sports programs out if men's hoops left.

Was, not now. They are a joke. Just like UCLA
    Dang, it really is hard to take you seriously if you say something like that. Just because a team has not been good the last 3-4 years doesn't mean they are not a huge program. UCLA has 3 sweet sixteen appearances in the last 6 years. St. Mary's went to a sweet sixteen in 2010, but thats about it.

WCC would most likely kick the rest of the Gonzaga sports programs out if men's hoops left.
    Eh I don't buy it. Plus what's wrong with the Big Sky for our other sports?

You're living in the past. I'm not talking about who has more hoops tradition. Obviously Georgetown has accomplished a lot more than SMC. But most of that was in the 80s. They were decent off and on post Ewing w/ Zo and Iverson, even stumbled into the Final 4 one year w/ JTIII coaching (thanks to an epic collapse by UNC), but for the most part they are a complete has been. Haven't been to the Tourney since '15. 3 straight years of no post season at all, and then 1 and done in the NIT this year. How can you insist that Georgetown basketball is in a good place currently?

Eh I don't buy it. Plus what's wrong with the Big Sky for our other sports?
    Would the Big Sky take GU if men's hoops is off the table?

BYU wasn't welcome to stay in the Mountain West after they went independent with football.