Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: Join Another League

Default Is this a feasible compromise regarding our conference and schedule?

I think at this point most everyone agrees that our conference affiliation and feasting on cupcakes for three months does not prepare us for the rigors of March madness as well as it does other teams that play in much more difficult conferences. Every single team left is in a P5 conference. Due to geographic limitations, we are sort of stuck though. But I do think I may have a good compromise;

Do with the BE what ND does with the ACC in football; play 6-8 games a year vs them Including games in February and March. What say you? And would the Big East even agree to that?

Quote Originally Posted by pony View Post
    Add sports and join the Pac12. No reason that football couldn't be as successful as basketball.
    I think our chances of joining the Pac 12 are higher without football, as a non-football-revenue sharing school, than with a startup football program in a market already covered by UW, WSU and Oregon.

Better, a couple of guards who shoot over 40% from three and are capable of hitting two in a row. Our three sharpshooters were all 37% from LD. And one needs 12 shots to get locked in. All the lottery bigs in the world don’t make up for that. Norvell took 100 more LDs than Kispert and 120 more than Josh, that’s crazy.

Quote Originally Posted by JAGzag View Post
    How’s it worked for Creighton? Exactly. Folks think we’re Duke where 5* recruits are lining up. They’re not and moving to the Big East may present a recruit or two, but we’ve done pretty well with the formula coaches have used. Some posters make me laugh. We lose in the E8 and suddenly it’s the conference. Just two days later we soundly beat an ACC team and it’s the exact opposite.
    Hasn't really done much for Butler either. Other than Villanova the Big East is nothing to get excited about.

Add sports and join the Pac12. No reason that football couldn't be as successful as basketball.
    Name the last program that started a football program from scratch and became successful.

Quote Originally Posted by jazzdelmar View Post
    Better, a couple of guards who shoot 40% from three and are capable of hitting two in a row. Our three sharpshooters were all 37% from LD. And one needs 12 shots to get locked in.
    The two are not mutually exclusive. We have had guards that did exactly that, but have only made one final four in our history. Feasting on cupcakes for three months allows us to develop bad habits without any repercussions. I would gladly take three or four more losses on the season if we face twice as difficult competition.

Quote Originally Posted by seacatfan View Post
    Hasn't really done much for Butler either. Other than Villanova the Big East is nothing to get excited about.
    Are you kidding me? Marquette, Villanova, Xavier, Seton Hall,Saint johns, Georgetown, Creighton are all superior to every team in the WCC except for us.

How many teams do the p5 conferences start with? One of them definitely has the odds to make it to the end. Zags were a couple makes or a couple less turnovers away from advancing. It's not like they were blown out. Their success in recent years is unbelievable. As Zag fans we are spoiled with the success we have been treated to. I don't think changing leagues would bring better results.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by thespywhozaggedme View Post
    I think at this point most everyone agrees that our conference affiliation and feasting on cupcakes for three months does not prepare us for the rigors of March madness as well as it does other teams that play in much more difficult conferences. Every single team left is in a P5 conference. Due to geographic limitations, we are sort of stuck though. But I do think I may have a good compromise;

Do with the BE what ND does with the ACC in football; play 6-8 games a year vs them Including games in February and March. What say you? And would the Big East even agree to that?
    That would be great, but we are just posters on a BB Forum. It doesn’t really matter what we think.

We may find that some of the Cupcakes bite back hard next season.

Okay preparing for rigors of Ncaa tournament? Now that’s just nonsense.

Making it to where you can open doors for more state kids? Now that makes sense.
    21 Straight Big Dances

11 Straight Round of 32s

10 Sweet Sixteens (5 Straight)

4 Elite Eights

2017 FINAL FOUR

2 Winningest Players in college basketball history (Karnowski 137, Perkins 134)

The Best Point Guard to ever play the game: John Stockton, most assists, most steals.

Why start a whole new thread about this? There is literally a “our conference is to blame for our loss” thread right above this. That you responded to.

That being said, idk how feasible it would be but I’m for it
    21 Straight Big Dances

11 Straight Round of 32s

4 Elite Eights

2017 FINAL FOUR

The Best Point Guard to ever play the game: John Stockton, most assists, most steals.

You do realize that every team left is from a P5 conference, don't you. The WCC schedule is 3 months of cupcakes and as a fan I'm sick of it.
    Cupcakes twice a week for months is just not heathly or entertaining

Should we look at Wichita State leaving a couple years ago for the AAC, and not making tourney this season? How’d that move work for them? Oh a 6 seed in NIT. Good for them
    21 Straight Big Dances

11 Straight Round of 32s

4 Elite Eights

2017 FINAL FOUR

Until we get the league we want, no reason to jump into the abyss. WCC isn't top notch but the limitations we have in Spokane are substantial. DO the best you can with what you've got= sage advice.

Are you kidding me? Marquette, Villanova, Xavier, Seton Hall,Saint johns, Georgetown, Creighton are all superior to every team in the WCC except for us.
    Clearly the Big East is superior to the WCC. I didn't say otherwise. Other than Villanova, which team is routinely making deep runs in the Tourney? None of them. That is the point. And Georgetown sucks. They are very pale shadow of what they used to be. They almost never make the Tourney. Why even include them? I would argue St. Mary's is a better basketball program at this point that Georgetown. And St. John's, are you kidding? What have they done in the last decade or more? Nothing. BYU might even be a better program than St. John's, and I'm always bagging on BYU.

Quote Originally Posted by gonzagafan62 View Post
    Should we look at Wichita State leaving a couple years ago for the AAC, and not making tourney this season? How’d that move work for them? Oh a 6 seed in NIT. Good for them
    Another good example.

You don't add a football team to improve your basketball team prospects. You add football to have football and all else is secondary. That is why the Catholic 7 kicked football out of the Big East.

Washington Post had a series on college athletics costs a few years ago. According to this article, Rutger's football losses in 2014 come out to $1 every second for the year; $31,536,000!

Football becomes a money blackhole that sucks revenue from everything else a school does.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/sf/sp...=.0d1ee9f266e3

Sent from my XT1710-02 using Tapatalk
    'I found it is the small everyday deeds of ordinary folk that keep the darkness at bay… small acts of kindness and love.'
    - Gandalf the Grey

Foo Time

Quote Originally Posted by MDABE80 View Post
    Until we get the league we want, no reason to jump into the abyss. WCC isn't top notch but the limitations we have in Spokane are substantial. DO the best you can with what you've got= sage advice.
    Yup

'I found it is the small everyday deeds of ordinary folk that keep the darkness at bay… small acts of kindness and love.'
    - Gandalf the Grey

Foo Time

Quote Originally Posted by gonzagafan62 View Post
    The AAC sucks so that doesn't mean much to me.

Quote Originally Posted by Ladyzag12 View Post
    Huh? You’re allowed to have opinions but geez lol. Put 4 teams in tourney and we’re ranked higher than Pac12, and barely behind the Big east and SEC. lol
    21 Straight Big Dances

11 Straight Round of 32s

4 Elite Eights

2017 FINAL FOUR

I honestly think every one of those teams outside maybe Villanova would take at least four losses in the WCC this year.

- Gandalf the Grey

Foo Time

Quote Originally Posted by Ladyzag12 View Post
    And really all you did was prove my point lol
    21 Straight Big Dances

11 Straight Round of 32s

4 Elite Eights

2017 FINAL FOUR

The way I see it, the biggest challenge to an 11 team Big East, 20 game schedule (10 road/10 away), is the far East teams (Nova/Providence/St. Johns/Georgetown/Seton Hall). The rest of the away games are mid west teams. The goal would be to mitigate travel stress.

Trip 1 @ Providence/Seton Hall/St. John's - after Christmas, before school starts in mid January (3 games).

Trip 2 @ Villanova, Georgetown on days near MLK weekend (2 games)

Trip 3 @ Xavier/Butler on days near Presidents day weekend (2 games)

Trip 4 @ Marquette, DePaul on week before/after week where Zags play only one home game (2 games)

Trip 5: Single game at Creighton (1 game)

Doable. Other programs stay in WCC or join Big West.

Quote Originally Posted by kitzbuel View Post
    I honestly think every one of those teams outside maybe Villanova would take at least four losses in the WCC this year.

Yup. Hell Gtown lost to LMU lol
    21 Straight Big Dances

11 Straight Round of 32s

4 Elite Eights

2017 FINAL FOUR