Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Join Another League

Quote Originally Posted by Ladyzag12 View Post
    I have absolutely no issues with how our program is run. That was not a premise of my argument. We have used every strategy to get top guys in this program and we have gotten those guys. My issue is with the league. The league is awful and we are the Superbowl for every team in the league. We can only afford to lose 2 games max in conference and get an at large bid. My concern is about long-term program building. Nowhere did I criticize our program. Where are we in twenty years? Are we a program that a coach would want to come to if we are in the WCC? I do not think we lost yesterday because of our conference. But don't think the next time we are looking good and lose in the WCC tourney, the committee thinks long and hard about giving us the benefit on the doubt. Player better competition year round can only be helpful. We are amazing with international guys, but we still struggle to recruit elite elite guards.
    The committee never takes past history into account when seeding/selecting teams. Never have. If they did, Virginia wouldn’t be a one seed, and we would never be after Wichita State. Good teams are good teams.

And lose two games in conference? That’s an awfully random number, and again doesn’t mean anything as it relates to an at large bid. Do you forget 2012 already? Lost 3 games. Selected 7 seed. 2014 lost 3 games woulda easily been selected ... for the 8 seed. Wouldn’t have been left out if we lost to BYU in title game. 2005 lost 2 times and got a three seed... woulda easily been selected if we lost the title game there

BYU lost 5 conference games and got in the year of 2015. Lol

It goes year by year and includes full body of work. Please at least research first lol
    21 Straight Big Dances

11 Straight Round of 32s

10 Sweet Sixteens (5 Straight)

4 Elite Eights

2017 FINAL FOUR

2 Winningest Players in college basketball history (Karnowski 137, Perkins 134)

The Best Point Guard to ever play the game: John Stockton, most assists, most steals.

Quote Originally Posted by gonzagafan62 View Post
    All of our other sports fit in perfectly with the WCC. We have just started building them up. They would get killed in another league. Baseball, Golf, WBB, Track and field, cross country, have all started going in the right direction thanks to our basketball team. They’ve started competing for WCC championships and advancing in their respective sports.

Fact is there is no other league right now. Pac12 won’t accept us without football and the Mountain West is a joke of a conference that I want no part of. The Big East nationwide thing is simply a pipe dream. Probably will never happen. League affiliation has never mattered when it comes to success on a basketball court. It’s the heart of the players, coaches, all the way up to the AD Roth. How bout you be thankful for what we have done for our school over the past 21 years? You’re just bringing up old topics that the horse has been beat about 1,000,000,000 times since it’s died.

Go back to 1999, look at the attendances, look at how you were allowed into the old Mac for free, and look up some old dunks from the highlight dunker himself Reed Schifferman. Look at the landscape of the school and the buildings that exist then compared to now. Look at the locker rooms, the jerseys. Look at the TV exposure as a national brand compared to getting 3 national games at the Great Alaskan Shootout and that’s it. The only memorable zag in the eyes of the perception of people was John Stockton. Now people know a lot of great Zags.

Back in 2004 I dreamed of one day making it back to just the damn elite eight. You realize how hard it is to only do that? We’ve now been 3 times in 5 years. In the WCC.

How bout you just appreciate that we lost to the better team yesterday, and quit with the silly overreactions. Our other sports are still growing at an eye popping rate. Again in the WCC no less. The WCC helps and hurts this basketball team in a variety of ways. But I’m willing to continue down this path watching everything grow. Enjoy the ride. We still haven’t experienced the best yet, and that will come soon enough. I’m not sure how many times we gotta prove it in the tournament that we belong regardless of the conference.

No the season didn’t end the way we wanted, but we got the #3 recruiting class IN THE NATION ... and what conference are we in?

Don’t be chicken little. Hasn’t worked for you so far. And I’m not trying to harp on you. I sense fresh blood. Start at the beginning of this run, look around at the players, the campus, the buildings the facilities and compare them to other small schools in other conferences from schools you’ve never heard of and get back to me.

We’ve found our niche, and we’re running with it.

There’s nothing like being a zag. It’s the best family in the world. Wouldn’t trade it for anything.

Go zags
    No offense to our other sports, but I don't care about cross country, soccer, or tennis. I think we need to use our current cache to move up to a more sustainable able long-term situation.

No offense to our other sports, but I don't care about cross country, soccer, or tennis. I think we need to use our current cache to move up to a more sustainable able long-term situation.
    But it’s safe to say you care about WBB, and baseball?
    21 Straight Big Dances

11 Straight Round of 32s

4 Elite Eights

2017 FINAL FOUR

The Best Point Guard to ever play the game: John Stockton, most assists, most steals.

The administration will not make any decisions on conference affiliation that does not take into account all sports. That priority has been made clear. The school has invested too much into its other sports programs to just suddenly abandon them.

So any move forward will be a holistic, strategic decision that will at the least not harm other programs, and optimally improve conditions for them. The administration has tended towards making decisions that improve the quality of all of it programs, so an optimal strategy is the most likely path for the University.

Sent from my XT1710-02 using Tapatalk
    'I found it is the small everyday deeds of ordinary folk that keep the darkness at bay… small acts of kindness and love.'
    - Gandalf the Grey

Foo Time

no offense taken

Thumbs up

ANY WAY ?? To schedule in a big time, non WCC opponent somewhere near the end of the season? Either that or run the team through automatic car washes for a while, slap ‘um around, knock ‘um down, spit in their face, blow dry ‘um to get ‘um prepared and ready for what’s going to hit ‘um at the dance.

Need to do something!

The committee never takes past history into account when seeding/selecting teams. Never have. If they did, Virginia wouldn’t be a one seed, and we would never be after Wichita State. Good teams are good teams.

And lose two games in conference? That’s an awfully random number, and again doesn’t mean anything as it relates to an at large bid. Do you forget 2012 already? Lost 3 games. Selected 7 seed. 2014 lost 3 games woulda easily been selected ... for the 8 seed. Wouldn’t have been left out if we lost to BYU in title game. 2005 lost 2 times and got a three seed... woulda easily been selected if we lost the title game there

BYU lost 5 conference games and got in the year of 2015. Lol

It goes year by year and includes full body of work. Please at least research first lol
    2010-11 we needed an at autobid. 2015-16 we needed an autobid. You lose three games you are on the bubble.

The committee has bias and that affects your seeding. We only got a four seed in 2008 and another four seed in 2018. Both those teams deserved better.

2010-11 we needed an at autobid. 2015-16 we needed an autobid. You lose three games you are on the bubble.
    Again, you are referencing years that we didn’t have the strongest non conference performances. It’s about full body of work not losing such and such games lol that’s silly.
    21 Straight Big Dances

11 Straight Round of 32s

4 Elite Eights

2017 FINAL FOUR

The committee has bias and that affects your seeding. We only got a four seed in 2008 and another four seed in 2018. Both those teams deserved better.
    What bias? Please enlighten all of us please. Lol I believe they do set matchups and it might effect seeding by 1 line, but no I don’t feel like 2018 deserved better than a 4. At the time it was what was expected and I was fine with it. 2008 def deserves better than a 7, probably a 6, but they wanted the Davidson matchup. It’s whatever haha
    21 Straight Big Dances

11 Straight Round of 32s

4 Elite Eights

2017 FINAL FOUR

Quote Originally Posted by MontanaCoyote View Post
    ANY WAY ?? To schedule in a big time, non WCC opponent somewhere near the end of the season? Either that or run the team through automatic car washes for a while, slap ‘um around, knock ‘um down, spit in their face, blow dry ‘um to get ‘um prepared and ready for what’s going to hit ‘um at the dance.

Need to do something!
    I had so many discussions with Doc about this that I am sure he would get out the back door if he had a chance to avoid me...but he was endlessly patient and unfailingly polite and ….consistent.....Gonzaga will not play a home and home with a team with a RTI of 100.... Gonzaga has earned the right to a home and home with teams in the top 30...…opportunities to play in pre season tournaments and made for tv games severely impact the schedule....

If they were willing to play top teams without a home and home they could play nearly any team.....I think...he didn't say that..

The days of .....anyone....anytime....anywhere.... have been long gone...

We have to do everything we can this year to join another league. We have to capitalize so we can join a conference where we get prepared for the tournament and where the conference doesn't hurt our recruiting. The auto ncaa is not worth not being prepared for the tournament. Big East travel would suck but it would help us tremendously.
    So the acc didn’t adequately prepare unc for the dance?

There’s currently no other conference that is worth looking into minus a big east. Mountain West is a disaster waiting to happen and the Pac12 requires football. The exploration jmo was to get extra money from the tournament shares we put out there and also to increase pre-conference schedules by eliminating two terrible games from the schedule. Not only that but eliminating one more silly game from the WCC tourney. Applaud the effort and handcuffing the WCC, but there was no way in my mind we were leaving to the mountain west, unless the WCC didn’t cooperate, which you kinda figured they would. BYU was going to leave if we did too. It was an easy decision
    Could you elaborate? They had 2 teams make the tourney and both schools, plus SDSU are on the upswing. But I do think my suggestion would be a compromise; do with the BE what ND does with the ACC in football; play 6-8 games a year vs them.

Quote Originally Posted by JAGzag View Post
    Dominating the WCC every year guarantees a spot in the tournament. Yes we lose out on some recruits but our talent is only going up. We move to another conference you think it’s that simple? That somehow we go 14-2 and compete for a #1 seed? Won’t happen. I’m happy where we are and trust the staff to work the system.
    I think we become battle tested come tourney time like other conferences instead of feasting on cupcakes for three months. And we are a national powerhouse, we go to a better conference and we're no longer missing out on the recruits that stay away due to the WCC. Your argument is embarrassing and cringe worthy, you're bragging about supporting the path of least resistance. .

Quote Originally Posted by adoptedzag View Post
    UNC has been to 6 final fours this century and won 3 championships. They almost would have for sure won another title in 2012 if Kendall Marshall had not gotten hurt. How about we look at UConn, which has arguably been the most successful program this century and then Calhoun leaves, they are out of the Big East and are now totally irrelevant. UConn is not a prestige job now. If they were in the Big East or ACC they would be.

Who said we beat an ACC team because of the WCC. Our goal should be to become a Georgetown, Villanova, or Syracuse prestige wise. I don't think you can establish that legacy in the WCC.
    Uh....we already are. We're a national powerhouse despite our conference.

Quote Originally Posted by adoptedzag View Post
    You do realize that every team left is from a P5 conference, don't you. The WCC schedule is 3 months of cupcakes and as a fan I'm sick of it.

Quote Originally Posted by thespywhozaggedme View Post
    Could you elaborate? They had 2 teams make the tourney and both schools, plus SDSU are on the upswing. But I do think my suggestion would be a compromise; do with the BE what ND does with the ACC in football; play 6-8 games a year vs them.
    I’d be fine with that, but we still don’t have that leverage imo, could be wrong tho.

Getting to your MWC debate, yes they had two teams make tournament but both were outside of top 6 seeds.

Conference rankings

8. WCC
    16. Mountain West

Again, yes they had great top, but the middle and bottom of their conference was way worse than the WCC.
    21 Straight Big Dances

11 Straight Round of 32s

4 Elite Eights

2017 FINAL FOUR

Quote Originally Posted by thespywhozaggedme View Post
    Uh....we already are. We're a national powerhouse despite our conference.
    I mildly agree, but we unless you have a championship and multiple final fours, all those schools are above us. If UCLA gets a competent coach, they can easily win a title within 5 years. Arizona is also in that conversation. Oregon may be getting there if they get better at concealing how they pay their players. If Few leaves, Gonzaga is not a school many coaches would consider moving to.

I mildly agree, but we unless you have a championship and multiple final fours, all those schools are above us. If UCLA gets a competent coach, they can easily win a title within 5 years. Arizona is also in that conversation. Oregon may be getting there if they get better at concealing how they pay their players. If Few leaves, Gonzaga is not a school many coaches would consider moving to.
    What??!?! He's built this program into a national powerhouse. If he left and tommy wasn't taking over (which he will when the time comes) you'd be shocked how many high profile name coaches would line up for the job.

Please provide a list of ALL these teams with national title and multiple final four appearances

The list is very short
    Basketball...The Toy Department of Life

Don't mess wth happy...Coach Few

Quote Originally Posted by Hoopaholic View Post
    Please provide a list of ALL these teams with national title and multiple final four appearances

The list is very short

That is totally fair, but I think that should be our goal. Let's get to be a tier 1B program. Here is a list just by final 4 appearances: I think we could get to an Arizona level.

20 North Carolina
    17 Kentucky, UCLA*
    16 Duke
    15 Kansas
    10 Ohio State*
    9 Michigan State
    8 Indiana, Louisville**
    6 Arkansas, Cincinnati, Michigan**, Oklahoma State, Syracuse
    5 Connecticut, Florida, Georgetown, Houston, Illinois, Oklahoma, Villanova*
    4 Arizona, Kansas State, LSU, UNLV, Utah, Wisconsin
    3 California, Iowa, Marquette, N.C. State, San Francisco, Texas, Virginia
    2 Baylor, Bradley, Butler, CCNY, Colorado, Dartmouth, DePaul, Georgia Tech, Holy Cross, La Salle, Loyola-Chicago, Maryland, NYU, Oregon, Oregon State, Providence, Purdue, St. John's, Stanford, Temple, USC, West Virginia, Wichita State

I can’t wait to buy season tickets for the GU football season. I heard Lee Corso was looking to get back into coaching. PAC 13?

Quote Originally Posted by Hoopaholic View Post

The list is very short
    just checked the google machine, there are 21 programs that have been to multiple final fours and won a natty

Add sports and join the Pac12. No reason that football couldn't be as successful as basketball.