Page 1 of 11 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Join Another League

Default Join Another League

We have to do everything we can this year to join another league. We have to capitalize so we can join a conference where we get prepared for the tournament and where the conference doesn't hurt our recruiting. The auto ncaa is not worth not being prepared for the tournament. Big East travel would suck but it would help us tremendously.

Quote Originally Posted by Ladyzag12 View Post
    We have to do everything we can this year to join another league. We have to capitalize so we can join a conference where we get prepared for the tournament and where the conference doesn't hurt our recruiting. The auto ncaa is not worth not being prepared for the tournament. Big East travel would suck but it would help us tremendously.
    Big East play also presumes an invitation exists. Unfortunately, it does not. The distance is really a challenge. I think UCONN gets brought back before GU is ever considered.

Sent from my XT1710-02 using Tapatalk
    'I found it is the small everyday deeds of ordinary folk that keep the darkness at bay… small acts of kindness and love.'
    - Gandalf the Grey

Foo Time

Quote Originally Posted by bartruff1 View Post
    groan
    Yep.

I sat down with Grievis Vasquez around 2011. Why did he pass on GU? He didn't want to play in high school gyms during conference play.

I sat down with Grievis Vasquez around 2011. Why did he pass on GU? He didn't want to play in high school gyms during conference play.
    Design a conference to consider. I’m open minded.

All of our other sports fit in perfectly with the WCC. We have just started building them up. They would get killed in another league. Baseball, Golf, WBB, Track and field, cross country, have all started going in the right direction thanks to our basketball team. They’ve started competing for WCC championships and advancing in their respective sports.

Fact is there is no other league right now. Pac12 won’t accept us without football and the Mountain West is a joke of a conference that I want no part of. The Big East nationwide thing is simply a pipe dream. Probably will never happen. League affiliation has never mattered when it comes to success on a basketball court. It’s the heart of the players, coaches, all the way up to the AD Roth. How bout you be thankful for what we have done for our school over the past 21 years? You’re just bringing up old topics that the horse has been beat about 1,000,000,000 times since it’s died.

Go back to 1999, look at the attendances, look at how you were allowed into the old Mac for free, and look up some old dunks from the highlight dunker himself Reed Schifferman. Look at the landscape of the school and the buildings that exist then compared to now. Look at the locker rooms, the jerseys. Look at the TV exposure as a national brand compared to getting 3 national games at the Great Alaskan Shootout and that’s it. The only memorable zag in the eyes of the perception of people was John Stockton. Now people know a lot of great Zags.

Back in 2004 I dreamed of one day making it back to just the damn elite eight. You realize how hard it is to only do that? We’ve now been 3 times in 5 years. In the WCC.

How bout you just appreciate that we lost to the better team yesterday, and quit with the silly overreactions. Our other sports are still growing at an eye popping rate. Again in the WCC no less. The WCC helps and hurts this basketball team in a variety of ways. But I’m willing to continue down this path watching everything grow. Enjoy the ride. We still haven’t experienced the best yet, and that will come soon enough. I’m not sure how many times we gotta prove it in the tournament that we belong regardless of the conference.

No the season didn’t end the way we wanted, but we got the #3 recruiting class IN THE NATION ... and what conference are we in?

Don’t be chicken little. Hasn’t worked for you so far. And I’m not trying to harp on you. I sense fresh blood. Start at the beginning of this run, look around at the players, the campus, the buildings the facilities and compare them to other small schools in other conferences from schools you’ve never heard of and get back to me.

We’ve found our niche, and we’re running with it.

There’s nothing like being a zag. It’s the best family in the world. Wouldn’t trade it for anything.

Go zags
    21 Straight Big Dances

11 Straight Round of 32s

10 Sweet Sixteens (5 Straight)

4 Elite Eights

2017 FINAL FOUR

2 Winningest Players in college basketball history (Karnowski 137, Perkins 134)

The Best Point Guard to ever play the game: John Stockton, most assists, most steals.

Not sure what GU does about that beyond what they have been doing. Options are really limited. MWC is the only conference showing interest and that isn't much of an upgrade. GU did well to milk the most out of that situation with the concessions they got from the WCC.

Pargo, Bouldin and Gray did decide they were willing to play in WCC gyms. We are doing ok with a top five recruiting class for next year. There are quality players willing to play our schedule.

'I found it is the small everyday deeds of ordinary folk that keep the darkness at bay… small acts of kindness and love.'
    - Gandalf the Grey

Foo Time

I dont know we've done pretty good here. It could all come crashing down if we moved. If it didn't work it might even be the stupidest move in college sports history.

Quote Originally Posted by Zagceo View Post
    Design a conference to consider. I’m open minded.
    The athletic administration has proven that they are, too. If there are options, they have been on them. MWC discussions last year are proof.

- Gandalf the Grey

Foo Time

Have you not seen what we’ve done to counteract that?

We went overseas to guys that we’re studs overseas and told them if they wanted to go to the NBA you come here. You hear what Donny has said? “There’s not much to do in Spokane but improve your game” we got transfers that don’t fit at other schools that are losing every night, and can’t up their draft stock till they come here. And then getting our own USA kids to come here. We got the band of misfits almost. International players + one year transfers + grad transfers + USA kids = Gonzaga. And I’m fine with that

Guys who take that seriously thrive. Ask Kevin, JW3, sabonis, Wiltj anyone. If you wanna win and go play professionally you come here. You’re talking about one kid, but you left out the hundreds of others that came here to do several things

A. Win every night
    B. Guaranteed spot in the tournament
    C. Wanna play professionally
    D. Be part of a community that not only loves you but accepts you immediately
    E. Play for an elite head basketball coach and staff and trainers that can develop you

But you mention one guy that you sat down with and think that applies to everyone? Come on, lol you gotta do better than that
    21 Straight Big Dances

11 Straight Round of 32s

4 Elite Eights

2017 FINAL FOUR

The Best Point Guard to ever play the game: John Stockton, most assists, most steals.

Quote Originally Posted by Outraged View Post
    I dont know we've done pretty good here. It could all come crashing down if we moved. If it didn't work it might even be the stupidest move in college sports history.
    Don't fix what isn't broken. We didn't lose yesterday because we play in the WCC. This argument (to change conferences) comes up multiple times a year. People will debate it ad nauseam.

For me, I love what we have done under the current formula and wouldn't change a thing. Looking ahead at the talent coming in, it looks like we will compete for a national championship consistently over the foreseeable future.

Our WCC brethren are trending up so it seems silly to leave while they are starting to give us what we need.

PROUD ZAG FAN!

Quote Originally Posted by katman50 View Post
    Yep.
    Yep x 2
    Groan x 3

How’s it worked for Creighton? Exactly. Folks think we’re Duke where 5* recruits are lining up. They’re not and moving to the Big East may present a recruit or two, but we’ve done pretty well with the formula coaches have used. Some posters make me laugh. We lose in the E8 and suddenly it’s the conference. Just two days later we soundly beat an ACC team and it’s the exact opposite.

Maybe one day there's a solution to the WCC problem. It isn't here yet. I think the changes need to be initiated by the new conference, whether it be through Pac 12, Big East, AAC, or Big 12. Then, we need a solution for our non-basketball schools, perhaps the Big West.

The immediate solution, which still is rather complex to put together, is to play earlier WCC games and scheduled nonconference games in January and February. This is the best and most feasible way to mitigate some of the WCC issues. Looking forward to seeing the 2019-20 schedule.

gee wiz...if ya can't say anything nice why say anything at all.

Quote Originally Posted by JAGzag View Post
    How’s it worked for Creighton? Exactly. Folks think we’re Duke where 5* recruits are lining up. They’re not and moving to the Big East may present a recruit or two, but we’ve done pretty well with the formula coaches have used. Some posters make me laugh. We lose in the E8 and suddenly it’s the conference. Just two days later we soundly beat an ACC team and it’s the exact opposite.
    not "suddenly" it's always been the conference. If you don't think that coaches actively negative recruit against us using the WCC as their main factor, you're not being realistic. We've lost several high major kids simply because we play in the WCC. Not to mention we do feast on cupcakes for 3 months while other major programs are battle tested. We've won despite and in spite of the WCC. I was actually thinking about this this morning and wondering if we could at least sign an agreement with the Big East to play 8 games a season with them, including some in Feb. and March.

Quote Originally Posted by JPtheBeasta View Post
    Yep x 2
    Groan x 3
    It is a fact that the administration has at least explored the idea of moving conferences.

I'll leave that up to the administration and coaches who know a hell of a lot more about this than you.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk
    There's a fine line between fishing and just standing on the shore like an idiot. - Steven Wright

Beat everyone, and enjoy drinking from a chalice filled with their salty tears.
    Surfmonkey89

Quote Originally Posted by JPtheBeasta View Post
    Yep x 2
    Groan x 3
    Slow news day, I guess.

Best options:

-All sports to Pac12
    -M and W basketball to Big East, other sports stay in WCC or join Big West

Recall that the Big East gets an extra $100 million in TV money if they expand to 12 teams.

Quote Originally Posted by thespywhozaggedme View Post
    It is a fact that the administration has at least explored the idea of moving conferences.
    There’s currently no other conference that is worth looking into minus a big east. Mountain West is a disaster waiting to happen and the Pac12 requires football. The exploration jmo was to get extra money from the tournament shares we put out there and also to increase pre-conference schedules by eliminating two terrible games from the schedule. Not only that but eliminating one more silly game from the WCC tourney. Applaud the effort and handcuffing the WCC, but there was no way in my mind we were leaving to the mountain west, unless the WCC didn’t cooperate, which you kinda figured they would. BYU was going to leave if we did too. It was an easy decision
    21 Straight Big Dances

11 Straight Round of 32s

4 Elite Eights

2017 FINAL FOUR

I have absolutely no issues with how our program is run. That was not a premise of my argument. We have used every strategy to get top guys in this program and we have gotten those guys. My issue is with the league. The league is awful and we are the Superbowl for every team in the league. We can only afford to lose 2 games max in conference and get an at large bid. My concern is about long-term program building. Nowhere did I criticize our program. Where are we in twenty years? Are we a program that a coach would want to come to if we are in the WCC? I do not think we lost yesterday because of our conference. But don't think the next time we are looking good and lose in the WCC tourney, the committee thinks long and hard about giving us the benefit on the doubt. Player better competition year round can only be helpful. We are amazing with international guys, but we still struggle to recruit elite elite guards.

Quote Originally Posted by thespywhozaggedme View Post
    not "suddenly" it's always been the conference. If you don't think that coaches actively negative recruit against us using the WCC as their main factor, you're not being realistic. We've lost several high major kids simply because we play in the WCC. Not to mention we do feast on cupcakes for 3 months while other major programs are battle tested. We've won despite and in spite of the WCC. I was actually thinking about this this morning and wondering if we could at least sign an agreement with the Big East to play 8 games a season with them, including some in Feb. and March.
    Dominating the WCC every year guarantees a spot in the tournament. Yes we lose out on some recruits but our talent is only going up. We move to another conference you think it’s that simple? That somehow we go 14-2 and compete for a #1 seed? Won’t happen. I’m happy where we are and trust the staff to work the system.

But do we now have enough prestige to trade in the current model for something better. Our resources have shot up money wise the last few years, but we miss out on top TV money while big dogs rake it in.

Quote Originally Posted by JAGzag View Post
    Who said we beat an ACC team because of the WCC. Our goal should be to become a Georgetown, Villanova, or Syracuse prestige wise. I don't think you can establish that legacy in the WCC.