Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: What do you think about this; getting “Higginsed”?

Quote Originally Posted by Zagricultural View Post
    Worst officiated game I've ever seen. Ever. Seriously. I still cannot talk about it. Really really feel for the guys.
    Did you not see the Kentucky game when they were 38-0 and got the same treatment against Wisconsin ? Oh, and by the way Higgins refed that game too.

Those official strayed so far from the spirit of the game in allowing the mugging that took place... it became about how they called the game not basketball....congrats to TT but it was a travesty the way that game was called... painfully watched it again....so many missed calls that were fouls committed by TT according to the book.... officiating really was a joke...

Go!! Zags!!!
    "Learn from the past, Plan for the future, Live in the Now!"

I'm not sure I'd blame a lack of preparation in the WCC for not being ready for a game like this...the conference has plenty of hacky/grabby teams (Pacific comes to mind). Of course, they're not at the athletic/skill level of a Texas Tech, but I'd attribute our inability to respond and adjust to factors other than the WCC.
    Your children have been placed in the custody of...Carl's Jr.

Good teams adapt.

Fans complained about the quick whistles against us in Natty game and fans complain about not enough whistles in Tech game. FDM Fans defense mechanism.

Zag players had loose handles in addition to tight defense. We had plenty of opportunities to take control and just missed wide open shots. Happens.

Jazz is correct .....college ball is guard driven and depth matters.
    Last edited by Zagceo; 04-01-2019 at 07:56 AM.

Geez. Several unforced turnovers. Several wide open missed shots. Take care of the ball just a couple more times. Make a couple more shots that are normally gimmes. Then, there would be no discussion about the refs.

The Tillie rebound call and the out of bounds call near the end were terrible, but generally I thought they were pretty consistent if not in the style I would have preferred.

It was pretty obvious what they were and weren't going to call early on and they stuck to it (all except a Crandall reach in in the paint, wherein Bonner annoyingly said "they are going to call that every time", one of many comments over two games that had me wondering if he was watching the games or just dropping in occasionally).

It's annoying and I wish college hoops would be more consistent across the nation.

Q. This was such a physical and intense game. Do you encourage your players to be more physical in the theory that the refs will not call as much in these March Madness games; and also, everyone wants to know what will the next episode of Fireside Chat look like? Will you go live from Minneapolis?

CHRIS BEARD: I got ADD man, so I got to go one at a time. The first one was about officials and physical play in the tournament? We try to help our players. We explain to them these are the best refs in the game. They're not going to get anything if you want to get fouled you better go get it. We learned that firsthand against Villanova last year. We basically tell our guys you have to make real plays. They're not going to bail you out in games like this. We study NCAA Tournament championship games and show our guys. I do think the officiating is different in March. These are the best of the best in my opinion that advance in the tournament. What was the second part?
    Q. Brandon talked about the handsy defense. How disruptive is that and how difficult is it to prepare for even though you see it on tape?

MARK FEW: First of all, preparing. We had one day, you know, so it's not like we can really drill that down. We talked quite a lot about it in our meetings and showing them on film. It's something you've got to experience. They are really good at reaching, poking and digging things outta there. This is the best team I've every had for taking care of the ball. We've had games with four turnovers, three turnovers which is unheard of, halves with zero turnovers.

So it's real. That defense is real, and Chris has done a great job with it and it definitely impacted us tonight. They took a lot of balls from us when we had the ball in a great position for us, where I'm feeling, yes! And then we just lost it. It's tough. It's real.
    https://247sports.com/college/texas-...7/#130720217_2

My opinion is already well known at this point, but judging by the way Few was yelling at the refs, I feel like the above is coach speak, especially when the opposing coach tacitly admits that he coaches his team to be extra aggressive in the tournament.

I think the WCC should be great for preparation for this-- Coach Few should get school-teacher nuns from around the conference to wrap his players on the hands and arms with rulers like the old days. Instead of watching game film, they can watch the training scenes from martial arts movies from the 80's and 90's such as Jean Claude Van Damme's Kickboxer. I've seen footage of the staff using brooms to simulate tall players in drills, and it's time to start hitting the players with them as hard as they can.

MSU wasn’t even in the 1 and 1 yesterday against Duke. I don’t know if it’s an edict but it’s not good for the ratings or those paying BIG bucks to go to the games for the star players to be sitting on the bench in foul trouble.

I disagree with "you can't blame the refs" but I think there is a time and place for it. That is by the coach during the game and privately after it with the NCAA if necessary after it. Griping publicly after the fact doesn't change anything, and who knows, you might see that same crew in another important game someday.

Glad Few takes the high road and gives the other team the appropriate credit. Can't be easy...

Quote Originally Posted by surfmonkey89 View Post
    This is an interesting discussion, but the reality is that when you lose by one or two possessions, there are probably a dozen things you can point to as the cause.
    sure, that's those opportunities to overcome I am always preaching about. but the massaging of the game where needed, not a possession here or there, is more the discussion imo. yes, good teams overcome it, and also don't.

but more spot on, good teams don't need help. and sometimes you cant overcome the BS, that is certainly true too.

this play made here and that play there aren't independent of each other in the game flow, certainly not down the stretch; one affects the next, etc.

interesting discussion

Quote Originally Posted by Markburn1 View Post
    Geez. Several unforced turnovers. Several wide open missed shots. Take care of the ball just a couple more times. Make a couple more shots that are normally gimmes. Then, there would be no discussion about the refs.
    disagree man. it's not my Zag fandom, altho it did happen to them this time. But same discussion with other games with other teams, simple observations too, not difficult to see.

rewatch the first 4 minutes of the game. the refs called it the way it was happening, 4 whistles. then after the under 4 timeout, they changed for some reason, whatever it was. that is just simple observation.

and not like the FSU game at all; they whistled them for 20 fouls, not 4 quick ones, and then just 10 the rest of the way

anyway, I can tip my cap when my teams lose. See the SMC game. I was one of the few who gave him all the credit, even though I cannot stand him.

Quote Originally Posted by zag944 View Post
    I disagree with "you can't blame the refs" but I think there is a time and place for it. That is by the coach during the game and privately after it with the NCAA if necessary after it. Griping publicly after the fact doesn't change anything, and who knows, you might see that same crew in another important game someday.

Glad Few takes the high road and gives the other team the appropriate credit. Can't be easy...
    griping? come on, better than the ostrich head in the sand pretending it didn't happen. good grief....

Quote Originally Posted by vandalzag View Post
    A team that plays D the Tech does gets a clear advantage when the Refs take a relaxed approach to calling fouls. The opposite is true when the Refs call a tight game. Yesterday the tone of the game was in their favor. GU did not play good enough to overcome that advantage. This was not a case of the refs being out to get GU. I am guessing that in TT losses this year they had a pretty good deficit in the foul column.
    yep, it's that simple to affect the game. matchup the teams, set the tone of the whistles, play.

funny becasue the last time TT beat the Zags in the tournament with Knight as their coach, it was a whistle happy fest, remember?