Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: What do you think about this; getting “Higginsed”?

Default What do you think about this; getting “Higginsed”?

This is a phenomenal post and shockingly it comes from the Kentucky Board:

On the season, Texas Tech was 195th in the country in foul rate, fouling on over 25% of their possessions.

Tonight, playing against the country’s best offense and with John Higgins on the whistle, that number was 19.44%.

How does that compare to the rest of the country? Notre Dame led the nation this season with a foul rate of 20.3%.

So the aggressive Texas Tech defense, playing against the best offense in the country, was called for so few fouls that they would have ranked first in the country by a mile had they gotten that whistle all season.

And it’s actually even worse than that. Higgins and company called TT for 4 fouls before the first tv timeout. Only got called for 10 more all night.

That, ladies and gentlemen, is how you get Higginsed. Something we know all too well

Wow...that's pretty incredible, in an awful way.
    "My golf is woeful, but I will never surrender."--Bing Crosby

Yup! The officiating was garbage! They should have called a lot more fouls. Not sure if it was one sided or not, but it was certainly a D level officiating grade today....

it wasn't just Higgins, but he sucked

hey all you folks out there who refuse to recognize tonight's reffing BS, we're listening

I wonder if Few gets another apology letter from the NCAA? The TT player stepping out of bounds while saving the ball was inexcusable as was the missed goaltend. Rui getting continually fouled for about 45 ft on his drive the basket and then "turns it over" with no call was an absolute head scratcher!

Worst officiated game I've ever seen. Ever. Seriously. I still cannot talk about it. Really really feel for the guys.

Any idea the % of possessions GU is fouled on? I’m not a stat geek but they seem to be about average?

Quote Originally Posted by thespywhozaggedme View Post
    This is a phenomenal post and shockingly it comes from the Kentucky Board:

On the season, Texas Tech was 195th in the country in foul rate, fouling on over 25% of their possessions.

Tonight, playing against the country’s best offense and with John Higgins on the whistle, that number was 19.44%.

How does that compare to the rest of the country? Notre Dame led the nation this season with a foul rate of 20.3%.

So the aggressive Texas Tech defense, playing against the best offense in the country, was called for so few fouls that they would have ranked first in the country by a mile had they gotten that whistle all season.

And it’s actually even worse than that. Higgins and company called TT for 4 fouls before the first tv timeout. Only got called for 10 more all night.

That, ladies and gentlemen, is how you get Higginsed. Something we know all too well
    So there is intelligent life forms on the Kentucky Board. I bet that poster was voted down by the Anti-Zag mob.

Quote Originally Posted by MJ777 View Post
    So there is intelligent life forms on the Kentucky Board. I bet that poster was voted down by the Anti-Zag mob.
    There are outliers in all subgroups. He's the one over there.

Zags caught a break when Norvell kicked the ball that led to the clutch Perkins 3. Not saying it was completely even but I bet if TT lost at the end they’d be able to point to a few no calls or missed calls as well. BTW, is 3 in the key still a rule?

I have NEVER seen Coach Few go forehead to forehead with a ref and stare him down like he did after Rui (I think) was hacked for a turnover and a bucket on the other end. It reminded me of a boxing or MMA weigh-in when the two fighters stand so close they can probably feel each other’s breath. That was after maybe the 10th time it happened tonight— and that is probably a generous estimate.

Unfortunately for GU they got the call right on Perkins at the end, but they owed us one after that botched out of bounds and swallowed the whistle for the and one on the Perkins bucket. It is so deflating. In a tournament bereft of upsets, and kind of boring up to this point, the basketball world got what it wanted, I guess...

Incidental ball to the foot while the guy was dribbling. Every team can point to a missed call here or there, anyway. This is not what anyone is saying. This was next-level bad.

Quote Originally Posted by 509er View Post
    Zags caught a break when Norvell kicked the ball that led to the clutch Perkins 3. Not saying it was completely even but I bet if TT lost at the end they’d be able to point to a few no calls or missed calls as well. BTW, is 3 in the key still a rule?
    With all due respect, that's not relevant to the op. Read it again and extrapolate the info provided. It's pretty stunning. Plus, it's not as kicked ball if it hits it incidentally.

nonsense

I think this is another one of the threads you started which brings nothing to the table

Quote Originally Posted by Ezag View Post
    I think this is another one of the threads you started which brings nothing to the table
    I actually find it nice to see numbers that quantify just how awful the officiating was tonight. Proves that the people who questioned the officiating had a legitimate beef. Not that it wasn't obvious to begin with.

Let the man grieve in his way. He's not hurting anyone.
    Krozman
    GU student 1996-2000
    Law Student 2000-2003

Wrong. The OP was great.

This is the one thing I took from the game. Foul. Foul early. Foul often. The refs will eventually let things go. Reminds me of the Witchita State "play angry" teams. Louisville. San Diego State when they mattered. It's just a terrible loophole in the game. Yes, it's effective. But, man oh man, it's tough to watch.
    This was a great statistical catch by a dedicated poster.
    Some people have a way with words. Some people not have way.

Any idea the % of possessions GU is fouled on? I’m not a stat geek but they seem to be about average?
    Zags' opponents foul 22.8% of the time, for the season (prior to today's game).

While the officiating was bad, you can't take one game and compare it to a season average and necessarily expect it to be at the mean. The mean (average) is comprised of multiple components whose values vary. You'd have to know the distribution to know if it's anomalous.

i.e. "I'm not going to bother actually reading the info provided". But whoever forced you to open it, read it and post in it should be instantly banned.

Agreed. Interesting data but doesn't really mean anything (both TT and GUs).

Agreed. Interesting data but doesn't really mean anything (both TT and GUs).
    We always defend ourselves from the ignoramouses by stating that we always play to or above our seed. Tonight TT "fouled" so far below their seed, they would've been 1st in the nation instead of 195th.

Good teams overcome bad refs.

I don't know that anybody would argue that the game was not called consistently and that TT was allowed to get away with more on defense. I'm sure that being a ref in a game like that is more than difficult. But what I cannot excuse is missing calls that are not judgement. They made the correct call on Josh for fouling on the player trying to inbound the ball. There is no judgement allowed there and the rule is clear. But how do you miss a guy stepping out of bounds before he "saves the ball", especially at such a critical juncture? How do you miss a guy touching the ball when it is still up above the cylinder. Again, these are not open to interpretation, If you touch the ball while out of bounds, its the other teams ball. If you touch the ball when it is above the cylinder, it is goal tending.

Quote Originally Posted by thespywhozaggedme View Post
    Tonight TT "fouled" so far below their seed, they would've been 1st in the nation instead of 195th.
    That's not how it works. Averaged over a season.