• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Alum08
    Professional Zag Fan
    • Feb 2014

WCC did hurt us (Rui)

Rui regressed during WCC play. No doubt about it. He developed the bad habit of being soft with the ball and it cost us dearly when we started playing against physical talent again. My hunch is that he was most severely affected because of latent habits from his Japanese HS days, where he could get away with being soft.

I also wonder why the coaches didn't spend a practice or two letting the walk-ons smack his arms and forcing him to finish through contact. That method is pretty effective with even less physically-gifted players. If they did do this, then they should've kept doing it up until and including pregame today, because it was never rectified.

It's remarkable because usually the detrimental effect of the WCC on our team is not as clearly evident. Most argue that it has a negative mental effect but those observations can be explained away with our tournament success. In this case the effect was blindingly obvious.
  • jazzdelmar
    Zag for Life
    • Feb 2007

Just one of many ways the WCC is toxic for GU.

Comment

• gonzagafan62
      Zag for Life
      • Nov 2013

I disageee but you bring up decent points. Still don’t think it’s because WCC though. Prob other things
      Qualified for 26 Straight Big Dances

15 Straight Round of 32s

14 Sweet Sixteens (9 Straight)

6 Elite Eights

2017 AND 2021 FINAL FOUR

2 Winningest Players in college basketball history (Karnowski 137, Perkins 134)

2021 Undefeated Regular Season

The Best Point Guard to ever play the game: John Stockton, most assists, most steals.

Comment

• CB4
        Zag for Life
        • Feb 2009

Gonzaga lost a close game tonight due to a few mental errors and bad bounces. Rui will be a lottery pick and double digit millionaire in a couple months.

To attribute all of Rui or Gonzaga's perceived failures tonight to the WCC, Japanese high schools, and a speculative lack of practice drills against walk on players is a real stretch.

But yeah, if we could get in the Pac 12 or Big 10 or Big East that wouldn't hurt. I've said it all along, we need to play Jan and Feb nonconference games to fix some of the inherent problems of the WCC.

Comment

• Ezag
          Zag for Life
          • Feb 2007

Zag fans regressed after this game

Comment

• Goshzagit
            Zag for Life
            • Dec 2007

Originally posted by gonzagafan62 View Post
            I disageee but you bring up decent points. Still don’t think it’s because WCC though. Prob other things
            Agreed.

I flew out to watch the Zags take on USD and LMU.

Rui didn't play soft. No matter the opponent. He was aggressive, hard nosed, strong handed, hit the hole and hoop without abandon.

That player died after Las Vegas.

Something clicked in Rui.

I don't want to assume or presume anything but all the NBA hype is a load. Trying to focus on the here and now while the media interrogates you about your future in the NBA is distracting.

Tentative play, softness, avoiding injury or physicality, playing "safe" just seemed like it affected him.

A different player from what I saw IN WCC play.

Our conference didn't habe anything to do with it something flipped off in Rui. It was palpable, obvious, and hard to admit, but any one who watched him all season knows exactly what I'm talking about.

Rui from a month ago would have had 35 tonight. This Rui is still talented enough to hit some shots but fadaeays, soft hands, lacking any sort of physical play, etc.

Different kid. Hope for the best and will always be a fan.

I used to feel he would be a star in NBA, but in all honesty, I feel very different after past 3 wks. Pressure makes diamonds or it just crushes others. I can't see him playing vs grown men, unless he is paired with the right type of hard ass Coach.

Comment

• SwainZag
              Kennel Club
              • Mar 2009

So is this going to be a theme every year we lose in the tournament? If it's to a P6 team it's automatically going to be because the conference drug us down? Rui did his part tonight. There's a lot more anger directed at him than Zach who chucked a lot, BC who turned it over 6 times, Kispert who did about nothing in 24 minutes. It's a team game guys.

Comment

• jazzdelmar
                Zag for Life
                • Feb 2007

Rui arguably sweetest young man ever to play for GU. Sayonara and arigato.

Comment

• Goshzagit
                  Zag for Life
                  • Dec 2007

Originally posted by jazzdelmar View Post
                  Rui arguably sweetest young man ever to play for GU. Sayonara and arigato.
                  Originally posted by thespywhozaggedme
                  Good observation. He has a sweet spirit.
                  I adore his sweet spirit, yet leave it off the court.

We need a mean streak from him.

NBA will hopefully bring out the best in him.

Comment

• Alum08
                    Professional Zag Fan
                    • Feb 2014

Originally posted by Ezag View Post
                    I absolutely love Rui. Maybe I should've opened with that to soften the blow to the egos of some of the posters here. I figured it was self-evident that we're all Zags fans here and want the best for the team and its players.

That doesn't mean that they are above criticism.

Comment

• kdaleb
                      Zag for Life
                      • Feb 2007

Originally posted by SwainZag View Post
                      So is this going to be a theme every year we lose in the tournament? If it's to a P6 team it's automatically going to be because the conference drug us down?
                      This. Great year. Love in my heart for the guys and the effort they put in all season.

Comment

• MJ777
                        Zag for Life
                        • Mar 2009

Do they say that TTU will foul out 4 players if they play that kind of slapping D against Duke?

Comment

• jazzdelmar
                          Zag for Life
                          • Feb 2007

Rui was a blessing for us. Arigato.

Comment

• HillZag
                            Kennel Club Material
                            • Sep 2013

Originally posted by Ezag View Post
                            Nah. It's just that after a loss the small but well known negative contingent finds the courage to voice all of the pent up pessimism they've had to swallow during a great season.
                            "My golf is woeful, but I will never surrender."--Bing Crosby

Comment

• Ezag
                              Zag for Life
                              • Feb 2007

They currently have three different threads about us. All of them saying that we are over seeded every year. It’s exhausting and a fruitless endeavor in trying to comprehend a conversation that is equal parts arrogance and equal parts ignorance.
                              Why you care so much about what other fans think of us? Doesn't bring anything meaningful to the conversation on this board.

Comment

Working...
                              X