Thread: WCC did hurt us (Rui)

Default WCC did hurt us (Rui)

Rui regressed during WCC play. No doubt about it. He developed the bad habit of being soft with the ball and it cost us dearly when we started playing against physical talent again. My hunch is that he was most severely affected because of latent habits from his Japanese HS days, where he could get away with being soft.

I also wonder why the coaches didn't spend a practice or two letting the walk-ons smack his arms and forcing him to finish through contact. That method is pretty effective with even less physically-gifted players. If they did do this, then they should've kept doing it up until and including pregame today, because it was never rectified.

It's remarkable because usually the detrimental effect of the WCC on our team is not as clearly evident. Most argue that it has a negative mental effect but those observations can be explained away with our tournament success. In this case the effect was blindingly obvious.

Just one of many ways the WCC is toxic for GU.

I disageee but you bring up decent points. Still don’t think it’s because WCC though. Prob other things
    Qualified for 22 Straight Big Dances

11 Straight Round of 32s

10 Sweet Sixteens (5 Straight)

4 Elite Eights

2017 FINAL FOUR

2 Winningest Players in college basketball history (Karnowski 137, Perkins 134)

The Best Point Guard to ever play the game: John Stockton, most assists, most steals.

Gonzaga lost a close game tonight due to a few mental errors and bad bounces. Rui will be a lottery pick and double digit millionaire in a couple months.

To attribute all of Rui or Gonzaga's perceived failures tonight to the WCC, Japanese high schools, and a speculative lack of practice drills against walk on players is a real stretch.

But yeah, if we could get in the Pac 12 or Big 10 or Big East that wouldn't hurt. I've said it all along, we need to play Jan and Feb nonconference games to fix some of the inherent problems of the WCC.

Zag fans regressed after this game

Quote Originally Posted by gonzagafan62 View Post
    I disageee but you bring up decent points. Still don’t think it’s because WCC though. Prob other things
    Agreed.

I flew out to watch the Zags take on USD and LMU.

Rui didn't play soft. No matter the opponent. He was aggressive, hard nosed, strong handed, hit the hole and hoop without abandon.

That player died after Las Vegas.

Something clicked in Rui.

I don't want to assume or presume anything but all the NBA hype is a load. Trying to focus on the here and now while the media interrogates you about your future in the NBA is distracting.

Tentative play, softness, avoiding injury or physicality, playing "safe" just seemed like it affected him.

A different player from what I saw IN WCC play.

Our conference didn't habe anything to do with it something flipped off in Rui. It was palpable, obvious, and hard to admit, but any one who watched him all season knows exactly what I'm talking about.

Rui from a month ago would have had 35 tonight. This Rui is still talented enough to hit some shots but fadaeays, soft hands, lacking any sort of physical play, etc.

Different kid. Hope for the best and will always be a fan.

I used to feel he would be a star in NBA, but in all honesty, I feel very different after past 3 wks. Pressure makes diamonds or it just crushes others. I can't see him playing vs grown men, unless he is paired with the right type of hard ass Coach.

So is this going to be a theme every year we lose in the tournament? If it's to a P6 team it's automatically going to be because the conference drug us down? Rui did his part tonight. There's a lot more anger directed at him than Zach who chucked a lot, BC who turned it over 6 times, Kispert who did about nothing in 24 minutes. It's a team game guys.

Rui arguably sweetest young man ever to play for GU. Sayonara and arigato.

Quote Originally Posted by jazzdelmar View Post
    Rui arguably sweetest young man ever to play for GU. Sayonara and arigato.
    Quote Originally Posted by thespywhozaggedme View Post
    Good observation. He has a sweet spirit.
    I adore his sweet spirit, yet leave it off the court.

We need a mean streak from him.

NBA will hopefully bring out the best in him.

Quote Originally Posted by Ezag View Post
    I absolutely love Rui. Maybe I should've opened with that to soften the blow to the egos of some of the posters here. I figured it was self-evident that we're all Zags fans here and want the best for the team and its players.

That doesn't mean that they are above criticism.

Quote Originally Posted by SwainZag View Post
    So is this going to be a theme every year we lose in the tournament? If it's to a P6 team it's automatically going to be because the conference drug us down?
    This. Great year. Love in my heart for the guys and the effort they put in all season.

Do they say that TTU will foul out 4 players if they play that kind of slapping D against Duke?

Rui was a blessing for us. Arigato.

Quote Originally Posted by Ezag View Post
    Nah. It's just that after a loss the small but well known negative contingent finds the courage to voice all of the pent up pessimism they've had to swallow during a great season.
    "My golf is woeful, but I will never surrender."--Bing Crosby

They currently have three different threads about us. All of them saying that we are over seeded every year. It’s exhausting and a fruitless endeavor in trying to comprehend a conversation that is equal parts arrogance and equal parts ignorance.
    Why you care so much about what other fans think of us? Doesn't bring anything meaningful to the conversation on this board.

What is Kentucky's obsession with us on their board!?

There's no use in griping or making excuses, because nothing is going to change.

I have said this for the better part of three years....major conference expansion, expanded league games (20 in the ACC and Big 10) and the mid-season SEC/Big 12 challenge have taken away GU's capability of playing these teams in February. Look at the schedules of those teams and tell me where Gonzaga fits in?

Besides, they don't want to face Gonzaga in February. They have no need to. And they certainly don't want to have to travel 2700 miles, during ACC play, to play GU at the Kennel. GU will not agree to anything but a home and home or a neutral game, nor should they because it sets a bad precedent. I actually felt the Memphis games were detrimental to Gonzaga. And we always lost anyway until Pastner took over.

Butler went to back to back national title games with less talent and in an inferior league. There is no other solution than to just keep making the tournament and getting the highest seed possible. And accepting that blue bloods are always going to hate Gonzaga because they take away top seeds on occasion. To hell with them.

But the bottom line is that major conference expansion and scheduling has changed everything. No one plays intersectional non-league games anymore during league play. Used to happen 3 to 4 times per year back in 1991. But it was different back then. Smaller leagues, etc.

Way too much crisis-thinking. Kentucky is just as capable of losing to Texas Tech as Gonzaga. The game went to the final minute. It was an elite 8 game. You can't win them all. UK fans also need to keep in mind that we had a 4 seed last year and an 11 in 2016. It's not like we get high seeds every year.

Quote Originally Posted by kdaleb View Post
    This. Great year. Love in my heart for the guys and the effort they put in all season.
    Elite 8 .... not bad. TTU played a good game. Zags did not. March Madness. Good luck to TTU going forward.
    I believe the WCC/GU is what allowed Rui to do as well as he did in his college basketball. GU and playing in the WCC nurtured Rui (IMHO). GU had a bad game against TTU - poo happens. Each season the Zags get a chance to win the whole shebang. Sooner or later they will. In the whole process we get to know some Quality kids and enjoy a Quality program. GU is in the WCC and does what it can in its situation. It's not a perfect world but the Zags do quite well for the way they manage and run Zag basketball within the WCC.

Quote Originally Posted by Zagger View Post
    Elite 8 .... not bad. TTU played a good game. Zags did not. March Madness. Good luck to TTU going forward.
    I believe the WCC/GU is what allowed Rui to do as well as he did in his college basketball. GU and playing in the WCC nurtured Rui (IMHO). GU had a bad game against TTU - poo happens. Each season the Zags get a chance to win the whole shebang. Sooner or later they will. In the whole process we get to know some Quality kids and enjoy a Quality program. GU is in the WCC and does what it can in its situation. It's not a perfect world but the Zags do quite well for the way they manage and run Zag basketball within the WCC.
    Rui started sleep walking thru gsmes in the last week of WCC...and never really woke up.

Seemed mental to me. Players check out.

His muscle memory and natural talent scored him some points yet that wasn't the same Rui we saw in Maui...or for 75% of WCC play.

Something changed in him, or rattled. I don't know. Not sure if internal or external, but not the same player.

If I'm NBA, I to overlook the change, and draft on his potential, yet id be concerned. If Rui isn't aggressively engaged, he becomes an easy target. Hope he finds it witbin to flip the switch and turn it around.

Quote Originally Posted by CDC84 View Post
    There's no use in griping or making excuses, because nothing is going to change.

I have said this for the better part of three years....major conference expansion, expanded league games (20 in the ACC and Big 10) and the mid-season SEC/Big 12 challenge have taken away GU's capability of playing these teams in February. Look at the schedules of those teams and tell me where Gonzaga fits in?

Besides, they don't want to face Gonzaga in February. They have no need to. And they certainly don't want to have to travel 2700 miles, during ACC play, to play GU at the Kennel. GU will not agree to anything but a home and home or a neutral game, nor should they because it sets a bad precedent. I actually felt the Memphis games were detrimental to Gonzaga. And we always lost anyway until Pastner took over.

Butler went to back to back national title games with less talent and in an inferior league. There is no other solution than to just keep making the tournament and getting the highest seed possible. And accepting that blue bloods are always going to hate Gonzaga because they take away top seeds on occasion. To hell with them.

But the bottom line is that major conference expansion and scheduling has changed everything. No one plays intersectional non-league games anymore during league play. Used to happen 3 to 4 times per year back in 1991. But it was different back then. Smaller leagues, etc.

Way too much crisis-thinking. Kentucky is just as capable of losing to Texas Tech as Gonzaga. The game went to the final minute. It was an elite 8 game. You can't win them all. UK fans also need to keep in mind that we had a 4 seed last year and an 11 in 2016. It's not like we get high seeds every year.
    Brilliant post
    Qualified for 22 Straight Big Dances

11 Straight Round of 32s

10 Sweet Sixteens (5 Straight)

4 Elite Eights

2017 FINAL FOUR

2 Winningest Players in college basketball history (Karnowski 137, Perkins 134)

The Best Point Guard to ever play the game: John Stockton, most assists, most steals.