Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 59

Thread: This is Zach's team next year.

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    2,425

    Default This is Zach's team next year.

    Assuming he stays.. he's now going to be the Alpha dog on this team. He's tenacious and has that Chicago baller attitude. It will be interesting to see him develop more and become the leader of this team going forward.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Posts
    2,068

    Default

    I do like his tenaciousness and his confidence to shoot even when he is having an off-shooting night, but I believe he needs a good ball-handling guard to compliment him.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    7,300

    Default

    Go make some money Zack and thanks for the thrills....you are a special player...

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    2,425

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by thespywhozaggedme View Post
    Is that meant to be comforting or disconcerting? LOL
    I think he will be a great leader.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Twin Cities
    Posts
    3,533

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by bartruff1 View Post
    Go make some money Zack and thanks for the thrills....you are a special player...
    Clarke yes. Rui sure. But Norvell? Not even close.

    His scouring report will start by his performance in big games and go from there...

    Not yet.

    See you next season Zach.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Posts
    515

    Default

    I think that the NBA combine will be a fantastic learning opportunity for Zach. He wants to be an NBA player and ultimately that is a very good thing for the Zags.

  7. #7

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by bartruff1 View Post
    Go make some money Zack and thanks for the thrills....you are a special player...
    Oh lord.. i am sitting here holding out hope that Clarke comes back. If Zack leaves too?? Yikes.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    7,300

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Goshzagit View Post
    Clarke yes. Rui sure. But Norvell? Not even close.

    His scouring report will start by his performance in big games and go from there...

    Not yet.

    See you next season Zach.
    The are Gonzaga players all over the world making hundreds of thousands and even millions....he has absolutely nothing to gain by playing another year of college basketball...in my humble opinion of course...

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    17,551

    Default

    Norvell is a lot of good things, leader is not one of them.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    Missouri
    Posts
    9,399

    Default

    Definitely Zach’s team. I disagree with bart thinking Zach has nothing to gain, however can see where he’s coming from also. Zach has a few things to work on before going straight to professional ball imo. Any team would be lucky to have him but maybe a year of him being the guy would be extremely beneficial
    Qualified for 22 Straight Big Dances

    11 Straight Round of 32s

    10 Sweet Sixteens (5 Straight)

    4 Elite Eights

    2017 FINAL FOUR

    2 Winningest Players in college basketball history (Karnowski 137, Perkins 134)

    The Best Point Guard to ever play the game: John Stockton, most assists, most steals.

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    Missouri
    Posts
    9,399

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by jazzdelmar View Post
    Norvell is a lot of good things, leader is not one of them.
    Agree.
    Qualified for 22 Straight Big Dances

    11 Straight Round of 32s

    10 Sweet Sixteens (5 Straight)

    4 Elite Eights

    2017 FINAL FOUR

    2 Winningest Players in college basketball history (Karnowski 137, Perkins 134)

    The Best Point Guard to ever play the game: John Stockton, most assists, most steals.

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Spokane
    Posts
    2,839

    Default

    I think ZN will be back with Tillie, I am not convinced ZN is the leader to move forward

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Richland, Washington
    Posts
    6,482

    Default

    Handles are not next level. Relative to final four expectations, definitely not strong enough with the ball.

    Could find a JJ Reddick role as a pro, but would have to play just as smart and it is a narrow, crowded niche. Europe or similar is the likely destination.

    Definitely not the answer as a primary ball handler at GU's level of expectations, but welcome as a catch n shoot guy if he accepts the role.
    I miss Mike Hart

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Twin Cities
    Posts
    3,533

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by jazzdelmar View Post
    Norvell is a lot of good things, leader is not one of them.
    Off the floor, yes he has potential. Leading by example on the floor, not ideal.

    Still convinced his meniscus isn't 100%. Just speculation but seems to lack explosion off one leg.

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Posts
    515

    Default

    I think Zach could grow as a leader next year. I mean, who the hell else could it be? If he wants it, the team is his. There's some synergistic opportunity there for the team: he grows as a leader and improves his game beyond dead-eye shooting, and he helps us navigate what could be a rocky transition year.

  16. #16
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    12,571

    Default

    Yep. He’s got lots of skills to develop.
    Quote Originally Posted by jazzdelmar View Post
    Norvell is a lot of good things, leader is not one of them.

  17. #17
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    San Francisco
    Posts
    1,048

    Default

    Test the waters, and come back!!

  18. #18
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Posts
    2,068

    Default

    That is assuming Tillie is gone... This is Tillie's team (if he wants it!)

  19. #19
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Chattaroy (20 mi N of GU)
    Posts
    3,745

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by jazzdelmar View Post
    Norvell is a lot of good things, leader is not one of them.
    I'd agree ... mostly. But, leadership can spring up from unexpected places. I would not totally rule out GU being lead by Zach next year. A kid learns bunches being in GU's program - stuff that benefits them for life. Next season's team will be quite different what with the likely departure of Rui & Brandon as well as the seniors. It's not a stretch for GU to be losing at least 5 guys: Josh, Rui, Brandon, Geno and Jones. Those are some pretty high quality Zags and being able to reload with a similar caliber 5 is going to be next to impossible. Yet, a lot of what the GU program does is to flirt with the impossible. I would not rule Zach out simply due to having anything being possible at GU. Lots of unknowns for next season though .... LOTS. The new cast of Zags will be neat to watch acquire their character.
    http://www.fowlplaces.com/zags/GoZagsTinySignGuyGlassesColor.png

  20. #20
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Savannah, GA
    Posts
    3,038

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Zagger View Post
    I'd agree ... mostly. But, leadership can spring up from unexpected places. I would not totally rule out GU being lead by Zach next year. A kid learns bunches being in GU's program - stuff that benefits them for life. Next season's team will be quite different what with the likely departure of Rui & Brandon as well as the seniors. It's not a stretch for GU to be losing at least 5 guys: Josh, Rui, Brandon, Geno and Jones. Those are some pretty high quality Zags and being able to reload with a similar caliber 5 is going to be next to impossible. Yet, a lot of what the GU program does is to flirt with the impossible. I would not rule Zach out simply due to having anything being possible at GU. Lots of unknowns for next season though .... LOTS. The new cast of Zags will be neat to watch acquire their character.
    I'm hoping Brock Ravet steps in next season as the dynamic ballhandler, passer and point man the team needs playing alongside Norvell and Kispert.

    The lack of offensive execution and shot making for Zags during winning time final minutes of the game was underwhelming...hard, for me, to say if that was a players not performing or coaching not scheming well type of thing..or just great Texas Tech D. I felt like Zags did not have a clear offensive identity during several late game key offensive possessions...all the ones that mattered.
    It is their time....their team...I just get to watch. - Bartruff1

  21. #21
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Richland, Washington
    Posts
    6,482

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by GonzagasaurusFlex View Post
    I'm hoping Brock Ravet steps in next season as the dynamic ballhandler, passer and point man the team needs playing alongside Norvell and Kispert.

    The lack of offensive execution and shot making for Zags during winning time final minutes of the game was underwhelming...hard, for me, to say if that was a players not performing or coaching not scheming well type of thing..or just great Texas Tech D. I felt like Zags did not have a clear offensive identity during several late game key offensive possessions...all the ones that mattered.
    The team simply wasn't strong enough with the ball in their hands. Referees typically swallow the whistle down the stretch in tournament games.

    This would be a recommended drill prior to the tournament:

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NJzznjjuuuU

    GU guards (and Rui) exposed the ball way too much against Texas Tech. Clarke was receiving passes much too low. He is at his best when the ball arrives above his head. Josh is often caught unaware of players coming from behind. Just because an opponent is not visible doesn't mean you can relax from being strong with the ball. Zach is a long, long way from being a competent ball handler at final four level.

    Goss is one of my favorite all time Zags because he was so strong with the ball. It isn't a coincidence that his team went furthest.
    I miss Mike Hart

  22. #22
    Join Date
    Mar 2019
    Posts
    273

    Default

    I see Zach becoming a leader. Nothing about him suggests otherwise. He could very easily be an all american next year. Eerily similar numbers to Jodie Meeks during his time at Kentucky.

  23. #23
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    University Place, WA (aka Chambers Bay)
    Posts
    5,059

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Ezag View Post
    I think ZN will be back with Tillie ....
    That's my understanding, although nothing's in the bag until it's in the bag .... Tillie getting healthy sooner than predicted "may" have changed some dynamics vis a vis his future. Time will tell.

    "To be continued ....."
    Father Tony Lehman, SJ

  24. #24
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Northern Virginia
    Posts
    15,708

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Ladyzag12 View Post
    I see Zach becoming a leader. Nothing about him suggests otherwise. He could very easily be an all american next year. Eerily similar numbers to Jodie Meeks during his time at Kentucky.
    I think folks around here are sleeping on CK a bit. He showed this weekend that he belongs at this level. His experience is going to be critical to next year's success.

    Sent from my XT1710-02 using Tapatalk
    'I found it is the small everyday deeds of ordinary folk that keep the darkness at bay… small acts of kindness and love.'
    - Gandalf the Grey

    ________________________________



    Foo Time

  25. #25
    Join Date
    Jan 2017
    Posts
    548

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by GoZags View Post
    That's my understanding, although nothing's in the bag until it's in the bag .... Tillie getting healthy sooner than predicted "may" have changed some dynamics vis a vis his future. Time will tell.
    Juicy.

    I know Clarke/Rui are gone but Tillie returning could be huge. I've already written him off as gone my mind so it would be a pleasant surprise if he does come back.

    If we snag the right grad transfer PG, and retain Tillie/Norvell, that team has as high a ceiling as this years'.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •