Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: This is Zach's team next year.

Default This is Zach's team next year.

Assuming he stays.. he's now going to be the Alpha dog on this team. He's tenacious and has that Chicago baller attitude. It will be interesting to see him develop more and become the leader of this team going forward.

Is that meant to be comforting or disconcerting? LOL

I do like his tenaciousness and his confidence to shoot even when he is having an off-shooting night, but I believe he needs a good ball-handling guard to compliment him.

Quote Originally Posted by CdAZagFan View Post
    I do like his tenaciousness and his confidence to shoot even when he is having an off-shooting night, but I believe he needs a good ball-handling guard to compliment him.
    I love, love, love his ice water in the veins mentality. But he really has to work on his basketball IQ and learn The difference between a good shot and a bad one.

Go make some money Zack and thanks for the thrills....you are a special player...

Quote Originally Posted by thespywhozaggedme View Post
    Is that meant to be comforting or disconcerting? LOL
    I think he will be a great leader.

Quote Originally Posted by bartruff1 View Post
    Go make some money Zack and thanks for the thrills....you are a special player...
    Clarke yes. Rui sure. But Norvell? Not even close.

His scouring report will start by his performance in big games and go from there...

Not yet.

See you next season Zach.

I think that the NBA combine will be a fantastic learning opportunity for Zach. He wants to be an NBA player and ultimately that is a very good thing for the Zags.

Quote Originally Posted by bartruff1 View Post
    Oh lord.. i am sitting here holding out hope that Clarke comes back. If Zack leaves too?? Yikes.

Quote Originally Posted by Goshzagit View Post
    Clarke yes. Rui sure. But Norvell? Not even close.

His scouring report will start by his performance in big games and go from there...

Not yet.

See you next season Zach.
    The are Gonzaga players all over the world making hundreds of thousands and even millions....he has absolutely nothing to gain by playing another year of college basketball...in my humble opinion of course...

Norvell is a lot of good things, leader is not one of them.

Definitely Zach’s team. I disagree with bart thinking Zach has nothing to gain, however can see where he’s coming from also. Zach has a few things to work on before going straight to professional ball imo. Any team would be lucky to have him but maybe a year of him being the guy would be extremely beneficial
    21 Straight Big Dances

11 Straight Round of 32s

10 Sweet Sixteens (5 Straight)

4 Elite Eights

2017 FINAL FOUR

2 Winningest Players in college basketball history (Karnowski 137, Perkins 134)

The Best Point Guard to ever play the game: John Stockton, most assists, most steals.

Quote Originally Posted by jazzdelmar View Post
    Agree.
    21 Straight Big Dances

11 Straight Round of 32s

10 Sweet Sixteens (5 Straight)

4 Elite Eights

2017 FINAL FOUR

2 Winningest Players in college basketball history (Karnowski 137, Perkins 134)

The Best Point Guard to ever play the game: John Stockton, most assists, most steals.

I think ZN will be back with Tillie, I am not convinced ZN is the leader to move forward

Handles are not next level. Relative to final four expectations, definitely not strong enough with the ball.

Could find a JJ Reddick role as a pro, but would have to play just as smart and it is a narrow, crowded niche. Europe or similar is the likely destination.

Definitely not the answer as a primary ball handler at GU's level of expectations, but welcome as a catch n shoot guy if he accepts the role.
    I miss Mike Hart

Off the floor, yes he has potential. Leading by example on the floor, not ideal.

Still convinced his meniscus isn't 100%. Just speculation but seems to lack explosion off one leg.

I think Zach could grow as a leader next year. I mean, who the hell else could it be? If he wants it, the team is his. There's some synergistic opportunity there for the team: he grows as a leader and improves his game beyond dead-eye shooting, and he helps us navigate what could be a rocky transition year.

Yep. He’s got lots of skills to develop.

Test the waters, and come back!!

That is assuming Tillie is gone... This is Tillie's team (if he wants it!)

I'd agree ... mostly. But, leadership can spring up from unexpected places. I would not totally rule out GU being lead by Zach next year. A kid learns bunches being in GU's program - stuff that benefits them for life. Next season's team will be quite different what with the likely departure of Rui & Brandon as well as the seniors. It's not a stretch for GU to be losing at least 5 guys: Josh, Rui, Brandon, Geno and Jones. Those are some pretty high quality Zags and being able to reload with a similar caliber 5 is going to be next to impossible. Yet, a lot of what the GU program does is to flirt with the impossible. I would not rule Zach out simply due to having anything being possible at GU. Lots of unknowns for next season though .... LOTS. The new cast of Zags will be neat to watch acquire their character.
    http://www.fowlplaces.com/zags/GoZagsTinySignGuyGlassesColor.png

Quote Originally Posted by Zagger View Post
    I'd agree ... mostly. But, leadership can spring up from unexpected places. I would not totally rule out GU being lead by Zach next year. A kid learns bunches being in GU's program - stuff that benefits them for life. Next season's team will be quite different what with the likely departure of Rui & Brandon as well as the seniors. It's not a stretch for GU to be losing at least 5 guys: Josh, Rui, Brandon, Geno and Jones. Those are some pretty high quality Zags and being able to reload with a similar caliber 5 is going to be next to impossible. Yet, a lot of what the GU program does is to flirt with the impossible. I would not rule Zach out simply due to having anything being possible at GU. Lots of unknowns for next season though .... LOTS. The new cast of Zags will be neat to watch acquire their character.
    I'm hoping Brock Ravet steps in next season as the dynamic ballhandler, passer and point man the team needs playing alongside Norvell and Kispert.

The lack of offensive execution and shot making for Zags during winning time final minutes of the game was underwhelming...hard, for me, to say if that was a players not performing or coaching not scheming well type of thing..or just great Texas Tech D. I felt like Zags did not have a clear offensive identity during several late game key offensive possessions...all the ones that mattered.
    It is their time....their team...I just get to watch. - Bartruff1

Quote Originally Posted by GonzagasaurusFlex View Post
    I'm hoping Brock Ravet steps in next season as the dynamic ballhandler, passer and point man the team needs playing alongside Norvell and Kispert.

The lack of offensive execution and shot making for Zags during winning time final minutes of the game was underwhelming...hard, for me, to say if that was a players not performing or coaching not scheming well type of thing..or just great Texas Tech D. I felt like Zags did not have a clear offensive identity during several late game key offensive possessions...all the ones that mattered.
    The team simply wasn't strong enough with the ball in their hands. Referees typically swallow the whistle down the stretch in tournament games.

This would be a recommended drill prior to the tournament:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NJzznjjuuuU

GU guards (and Rui) exposed the ball way too much against Texas Tech. Clarke was receiving passes much too low. He is at his best when the ball arrives above his head. Josh is often caught unaware of players coming from behind. Just because an opponent is not visible doesn't mean you can relax from being strong with the ball. Zach is a long, long way from being a competent ball handler at final four level.

Goss is one of my favorite all time Zags because he was so strong with the ball. It isn't a coincidence that his team went furthest.
    I miss Mike Hart

I see Zach becoming a leader. Nothing about him suggests otherwise. He could very easily be an all american next year. Eerily similar numbers to Jodie Meeks during his time at Kentucky.

Quote Originally Posted by Ezag View Post
    I think ZN will be back with Tillie ....
    That's my understanding, although nothing's in the bag until it's in the bag .... Tillie getting healthy sooner than predicted "may" have changed some dynamics vis a vis his future. Time will tell.

"To be continued ....."
    Father Tony Lehman, SJ