Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: This is Zach's team next year.

Yes. Now all Few has to do is find a Rui and a Clarke! Lololol should be easy! Few better get his shopping cart busy early!

This team is going to need to land 3 guards next year given the number of players we lose at that position.

Quote Originally Posted by basketballzag View Post
    This team is going to need to land 3 guards next year given the number of players we lose at that position.
    Hopefully 3 unathletic, average size guards who can shoot 40% from three and hit more than 2 in a row. See Mooney. Please, no more volume shooters. That deal is done.

Quote Originally Posted by kitzbuel View Post
    I think folks around here are sleeping on CK a bit. He showed this weekend that he belongs at this level. His experience is going to be critical to next year's success.

Sent from my XT1710-02 using Tapatalk
    Me too

Quote Originally Posted by bartruff1 View Post
    Me too
    Uh-huh. BBZ did say 3 guards.

Quote Originally Posted by kitzbuel View Post
    I think folks around here are sleeping on CK a bit. He showed this weekend that he belongs at this level. His experience is going to be critical to next year's success.

Sent from my XT1710-02 using Tapatalk
    I know it’s more about the attributes but the most consistent thing about him is a stat line filled with zeros and ones. Norvell still is tiptoeing the line of out and out chucker, Tillie disappears... I honestly don’t think anyone will have any sort of an idea what this team will be until December or January next season.

Quote Originally Posted by hooter73 View Post
    I know it’s more about the attributes but the most consistent thing about him is a stat line filled with zeros and ones. Norvell still is tiptoeing the line of out and out chucker, Tillie disappears... I honestly don’t think anyone will have any sort of an idea what this team will be until December or January next season.
    likely a fun team to watch grow, develop, and improve as the season progresses.

however, also likely a team which will need to win the WCC Tourney to secure a spot in NCAA Tourney. The WCC is will be GOOD next season, likely the deepest its ever been. Nearly every team returns at least 4 of 5 starters when you look at their respective rosters. It was a YOUNG league.

Quote Originally Posted by thespywhozaggedme View Post
    Yesterday was part of “this weekend”. He scored zero points yesterday.
    Don’t let facts get in their way, Spy.

Quote Originally Posted by jazzdelmar View Post
    Norvell is a lot of good things, leader is not one of them.
    This!!!

Yesterday was part of “this weekend”. He scored zero points yesterday.
    Exactly zero points,zero assists and two rebounds. He was invisible. How does that show he belongs at this level??

On an elite team Corey should get about 10 to 12 minutes per game as the seventh or eighth man.
    At most.

I think BBZ's post went right past several posters. If I interpreted it correctly, he just dropped a major bomb.
    Don’t think so. Hold your horses, Spy.

You know what, I didn't take into account that he may mean that one of Ayayi or GFJ will be gone. That's a real possibility I suppose. Although "replacing" them shouldn't be hard since they only saw garbage time. Things will get very interesting in the next few weeks, that's for sure.
    See, horses held, Spy. Good job.

On Kispert, he does the little things that don't show up in the box score. Look at who inbounds the ball v late game full court presses. He moves the ball quickly in the half court, keeps the offense flowing. Doesn't take bad shots like Norvell.

In hs, he was once called the best shooter on the circuit. My take is that for the Zags, he doesn't get enough shots to really be in rhythm. With the offense focused on getting the ball inside, he doesn't get many attempts.

Bottom line is that this year's Zags had the third best offense in the 18 years of the kenpom era with CK starting. Few understands what he contributes even if posters here don't. I wouldn't be looking for his minutes to drop.

Quote Originally Posted by maynard g krebs View Post
    On Kispert, he does the little things that don't show up in the box score. Look at who inbounds the ball v late game full court presses. He moves the ball quickly in the half court, keeps the offense flowing. Doesn't take bad shots like Norvell.

In hs, he was once called the best shooter on the circuit. My take is that for the Zags, he doesn't get enough shots to really be in rhythm. With the offense focused on getting the ball inside, he doesn't get many attempts.

Bottom line is that this year's Zags had the third best offense in the 18 years of the kenpom era with CK starting. Few understands what he contributes even if posters here don't. I wouldn't be looking for his minutes to drop.
    Agreed.

With all due respect, last night we needed him to do something that shows up in a boxscore; score a point.
    His job on this team is to space the floor and hit open 3's, make the right reads and move the ball. He only got 3 shots yesterday. Every perimeter player misses 3 in a row sometimes. He's the fifth option. Look at few's comments after the FSU game for his perspective on CK.

Two years ago w/ NWG dominating the ball Perk disappeared on offense for long stretches and averaged about what CK is averaging this year. And we know what that team did. Players willingly accepting a secondary role should be appreciated rather than berated imo.

I don't understand posts like yours. Maynard said that CK does things that don't show up in a boxscore, but last night we needed just that. If I responded to your post the way you did mine, I suppose it would read as follows:

You are a gem. Really you should stop sharing this knowledge for free and monetize it by writing in a book or doing infomercials. Your first chapter could be: When someone has an opinion that differs from yours, don't rebut it with robust debate, instead condescend and insult with snarky barbs.

How'd I do?
    To the bar you have set to date not bad, but it is a crazy low standard.

Norvell seems like a great kid, and he seems well-liked by his coaches and teammates. But if he declares right now, he has zero chance of being drafted by an NBA team. At this point in his career, Zach is a good, not great, catch-and-shoot guy. He cannot create his own shot. And when he tries to take it to the basket with authority, he tends to get rejected in spectacular fashion. He will come back next year.

Tillie may eventually have an NBA career, because he can shoot, and he is athletic. But given his injury history and his limited production, he would be a second rounder, at best, this year. I would love to see him return, be the man for the Zags next year, and jump into the first round.

Quote Originally Posted by zagsfanforlife View Post
    Oh lord.. i am sitting here holding out hope that Clarke comes back. If Zack leaves too?? Yikes.
    No chance Clarke comes back. He's a 1st rounder, if not a lottery pick.

Quote Originally Posted by maynard g krebs View Post

Yes. This.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Iceman View Post
    Norvell seems like a great kid, and he seems well-liked by his coaches and teammates. But if he declares right now, he has zero chance of being drafted by an NBA team. At this point in his career, Zach is a good, not great, catch-and-shoot guy. He cannot create his own shot. And when he tries to take it to the basket with authority, he tends to get rejected in spectacular fashion. He will come back next year.

Tillie may eventually have an NBA career, because he can shoot, and he is athletic. But given his injury history and his limited production, he would be a second rounder, at best, this year. I would love to see him return, be the man for the Zags next year, and jump into the first round.
    That would be a mistake along the lines of what Austin Day did! Players are now declaring way to early!

Quote Originally Posted by jpeppers View Post
    That would be a mistake along the lines of what Austin Day did! Players are now declaring way to early!
    and Gonzaga is getting the point where players actually feel antsy if they haven't declared or on NBA radars by their junior year!

We watch all these remaining teams, Auburn, Virginia, MSU, Purdue, Texas Tech and all look really good. Players with elite intangibles, yet for some reason Gonzaga has 3 NBA potential 1st Round prospects while the remaining teams have ONE?

Are you kidding me? So, is it our system glorifying these players to extent? Is it our media attention? The respect given by scouts, etc? Overhyped?

Are our players really that much better, even our friggin' bench guys are better than the opposition? I'm not so sure anymore. Do we feature them to the fullest extent? What could we do with a player like Tariq Owens from Texas Tech? Or some of those good shooting bigs from Auburn? The 7'1" kid for Virginia? At Gonzaga he's a lottery pick because our post player pedigree? See my point.

I think its getting carried away imho. We have had some really good ones, even specials ones (Sabonis), yet often times our system really accentuates their skills. More props to our ability to feature certain talents, yet some of these talents are overhyped compared to other teams as well --- who we could feature and develop as must-have NBA talents.

And IF Gonzaga truly has the most NBA prospects on its roster, didn't we just under-achieve a bit compared to the field? Along the lines of Kentucky and Duke.

Its getting to that point...

Most of the other E8 teams had multiple, powerful guards. We had one, who was exhausted at the end of games and played valiantly. Geno was atrocious. Period. The die was cast early on when BW snubbed us for the 2d time (only to miss the NCs and wait for his Chipmunk coach to be cuffed). Inexplicably, we could not find a serviceable 2d ballhandler (Chux is equally atrocious at that), a la Mooney. The bigs may not be lotteries but they are terrific players and the college game is guards. Next year portends to be even worse.

Quote Originally Posted by raise the zag View Post
    and Gonzaga is getting the point where players actually feel antsy if they haven't declared or on NBA radars by their junior year!

We watch all these remaining teams, Auburn, Virginia, MSU, Purdue, Texas Tech and all look really good. Players with elite intangibles, yet for some reason Gonzaga has 3 NBA potential 1st Round prospects while the remaining teams have ONE?

Are you kidding me? So, is it our system glorifying these players to extent? Is it our media attention? The respect given by scouts, etc? Overhyped?

Are our players really that much better, even our friggin' bench guys are better than the opposition? I'm not so sure anymore. Do we feature them to the fullest extent? What could we do with a player like Tariq Owens from Texas Tech? Or some of those good shooting bigs from Auburn? The 7'1" kid for Virginia? At Gonzaga he's a lottery pick because our post player pedigree? See my point.

I think its getting carried away imho. We have had some really good ones, even specials ones (Sabonis), yet often times our system really accentuates their skills. More props to our ability to feature certain talents, yet some of these talents are overhyped compared to other teams as well --- who we could feature and develop as must-have NBA talents.

And IF Gonzaga truly has the most NBA prospects on its roster, didn't we just under-achieve a bit compared to the field? Along the lines of Kentucky and Duke.

Default RTZ and Jazz hit the nail on the head accurately

Don't know who's hyping our players---us, this board---or the media. Last year we raised our stock at Portland tournament only to fall a little short later and this year we wake up the media and "alleged experts and talking heads" by dumping Duke in Maui. I think that's where the hype comes from. Few and Tommy have their feet on the ground and I strongly suspect they try to keep the team grounded. But young players do read the media and the blogs so not surprising it may trickle into their heads a little.

Don't blame us for the hype. We've seen our players play at their best and our adulation is warranted from those performances but.... In one of my earlier posts I talked about
    "bringing it" every day. That's hard to do for anyone, even very talented players. Even for us everyday fans or people. Zags just didn't "bring it" to their full capability in the second half Saturday. And I disagree with the word "underachieved" we just didn't play our best.

Just look at the FF. Every team is mature, talented and experienced and of course led by a very talented point guards (there you go Jazz). Perkins is great and he took us as far as he could this year. That's what we expected. But the performances of Harper from Auburn, Winston at Mich St, the Tech guards and UVA guards performed to championship level. Perk played well but he has "played better" at times this year.

I predicted some time ago Duke would do well if they let Jones do more leading. Problem with Duke is Zion and Barrett tried to win the games by themselves. Duke doesn't survive Virginia Tech without Jones.

So Jazz and RTZ let's spend some time praying that the recruiting process going on "behind closed doors" with Few, Tommy, Donny and Michaelson comes up with a great point guard. With the young talent coming in we MUST HAVE A TERRIFIC point guard if we want to go deep in the Dance.

Love the Zags, love this board and the smart and introspective posts by knowledgable BB members.

GoZags

Some truth here. Somewhat along these lines,; It’s been in the back of my mind for a while, but the T Tech game convinced me that, on paper, Rui and Clarke are NOT ready for the NBA. The NBA, no doubt, IS ready for them, but were it not for the money (which you sure can’t fault them for taking) another year at the college level WOULD serve them well. Clarke for his
    shooting, Rui for mental and physical toughness.

I KNOW they’re both GONE, that the risk of injury is too great to stay, and that they can develop the skills they need (probably coming off the bench in the NBA like Collins has) to be successful NBA players. That’s my reality check. Just saying they both COULD USE another year at the college level.

Gonzaga SURE COULD! Wish them both well even thinking, “ I don’t like it but I guess things happen that way.”