Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: This team was by far Few's best team ever.

Default This team was by far Few's best team ever.

As far as talent and depth goes. Not even close.

But the biggest difference between this team and 2016-2017 ...toughness.

This team was not mentally or physically tough enough to win this game. 2016-2017 didn't have near the talent or athleticism. But they would have found a way to win the game today. I have no doubt about it. I am certain of it.

If we played Tech in the regular season no doubt we win. But in the Elite 8, with a lenient whistle, and every thing on the line against a gritty, scrappy team like that....the tougher team won. Not the better team. The tougher team.

Just my thoughts.

It is a sad ending.
    Love the zags for life

No Goss or Karno or Zbo. Tough minded kids.

Quote Originally Posted by jazzdelmar View Post
    I thought Tillie was tough, too, though. I guess Few didn't.

Probably. That being said, Zags will be back and will have another shot in the next few years too.

The difference between most talented and best was on display today. They did fight hard, and a missed call and a bone-headed play might have been the difference, so it’s a fine line.

I feel the Zags should have won by 10 points but just had too many turnovers. I’m not on the floor and seeing things up close, but I don’t know how a team can swipe down on the the ball that many times without fouling— but if that’s their talent, I don’t know what you can do about it...

Quote Originally Posted by CB4 View Post
    Probably. That being said, Zags will be back and will have another shot in the next few years too.
    Do you really think so? With what lineup?

This team rode on Clarke's coat tails and could only go as far as he could take them.

Truth.

Goss had the mental toughness and it permeated. There was no Goss on this team to put them over the top. If only Karno could have hit the bunnies for NWG in the title game.

Ponder the season without Clarke.
    I miss Mike Hart

Quote Originally Posted by pcm541 View Post
    Do you really think so? With what lineup?
    They'll be in the tournament next year and will have a shot to make a run. The incoming freshman class is the best yet. The year following will be more of the same. Return players will be good enough to make a run. Who knows, maybe Tillie comes back. If so, we've got ourselves a team that can make another run. 2020-21 will be even better.

Quote Originally Posted by CB4 View Post
    They'll be in the tournament next year and will have a shot to make a run. The incoming freshman class is the best yet. The year following will be more of the same. Return players will be good enough to make a run. Who knows, maybe Tillie comes back. If so, we've got ourselves a team that can make another run. 2020-21 will be even better.
    With respect to IQ and handles, I see regression in the near future. Need an intelligent ball handler next year. Big time.
    I miss Mike Hart

Nwg is and was a stud. He is overrated at the same time he is a stud. Numerous games in 2017 march we would of been eliminated with his shooting. The 2017 team was just better.
    Love the zags for life

Quote Originally Posted by Zags11 View Post
    Nwg is and was a stud. He is overrated at the same time he is a stud. Numerous games in 2017 march we would of been eliminated with his shooting. The 2017 team was just better.
    IT is more than shooting. It is reaching deep inside and making the plays at crunch time. It is the total package of being strong with the ball, rebounding, defense, and timely shooting. Rising to the occasion and not letting the moment get too big. GU could have used some of that against Tech.
    I miss Mike Hart

Quote Originally Posted by MickMick View Post
    IT is more than shooting. It is reaching deep inside and making the plays at crunch time. It is the total package of being strong with the ball, rebounding, defense, and timely shooting. Rising to the occasion and not letting the moment get too big.
    I guess. However he was 2 for 11 and 3-13. If he didnt have such a elite team, we would of lost regardless of rebounds,etc. If he didnt have that team we dont have that ending.

Again NWG is a stud but the 2017 team was better.
    Love the zags for life

Quote Originally Posted by jazzdelmar View Post
    J3 type game tonight, would have been a nice fit too

Quote Originally Posted by Pleasant Peninsula View Post
    I thought Tillie was tough, too, though. I guess Few didn't.
    Maybe saving him for next season?

He knows Clarke and Rui are gone... preserving Killian perhaps?

Quote Originally Posted by Zags11 View Post
    Right now I’m thinking the ‘19 team would beat the ‘17 team, but the ‘17 team would have beat Texas Tech.

Quote Originally Posted by MontanaCoyote View Post
    Right now I’m thinking the ‘19 team would beat the ‘17 team, but the ‘17 team would have beat Texas Tech.
    Winner, winner. . .chicken dinner

Quote Originally Posted by MontanaCoyote View Post
    Astute observation that I am inclined to agree with

2019 was not FF material. More like a top 10 team. 2017 team was final four level. And the end results show this. And to the poster who said the 2017 would not lose to Texas Tech, but would lose to 2019 Zags, consider this. Texas Tech was number one in Ken Pom adjusted defensive efficiency this year. Guess who was #1 in Ken Pom defense in 2017? Yep, the 2017 Zags.
    The zags had big men Karnowski, JW3 Collins and Tillie. They had lights out shooter Matthews. They had Perkins and Melson. But the biggest separation point between 2017 and 2019 was Nigel. He was a coach out on the floor. And great talent. Sorry but both 2017 and 2019 teams finished where they belonged. If anything, the 2017 team should have won the national championship. I was one tweeted ankled and phantom calls on Collins from winning $1500 on a $20 July bet in Vegas (75-1 odds!).No way I was going to bet on this years team to win it all.

I don’t know if I agree completely. I think comments are made because we lost by 4-8 pts instead of winning by 4-8 pts, such a fine line. We didn’t go out like Kansas and UNC did which was pathetic.

I think Pre Sabonis teams, you can for sure pinpoint guys not being tough enough in the big moments. This year ? Not so sure. When you have volume finesse scorers, you are not always going to have the toughest guys..but would you rather have what we did OR kids who are full blue collar but lack touch around the rim, no footwork and no range on their jumpers ?

Seems pretty silly to claim this team wasn’t tough enough based on one loss to a team that thrives on mucking it up. Weren’t we just praising this team’s toughness after taking out FSU? The Zags had a bad game, missed some open threes and turned it over too many times. If three plays like that go the other way, we’re probably talking about how we withstood TT’s best shot. I’m bummed but loved this team to the core. It would give the 17 team a run for its money.
    “We’re not here as a %&#* courtesy!" - Coach Few

This was the best talent ever... They had 2 of the 4 most talented players to come through the program i would argue. Stockton aside i think Sabonis, Morrison, Rui and Clarke are top 4 for me on pure college talent alone.

Not sure this was the best team though. 2017 was awfully good. Had leaders, experience, shooters, athleticism, a lottery pick off the bench, a healthy tillie... it was a nice squad.

They went to the finals and almost won it, but their matchups to get there were a lot more favorable.

Close, but still give it to 2017 and that was my thought prior to the loss as well.

Completely disagree. 2017 team was better. Collins in NBA. JWIII in NBA, Tillie will be in NBA. Karno the all-time winning player in NCAA history. Clogged up lane as 7-1, 300 pound center. Nigel vastly superior PG than Perkins. Allowed Josh to be a playmaking 2 guard who focused on his shot more. WAY BETTER perimeter D on 2017 team. Nigel superior point of attack defender than Josh. Nigel better PG than Josh against "in your grill" defenders like Mooney. Staff could put Josh on worst perimeter scorer. Mathews and Melson and Nigel closed out on threes better than any GU guards in history, empowered by Gonzaga's dominant frontline. 2017 team was superior defensively than today's TT team. Melson better perimeter defender than any guy on this year's Zag team....a stopper if need be. 2017 had more RELIABLE three point shooting. Too many streaky shooters on this year's team. If teams tried to involve Karno in pick and rolls, Few could just put 2 or the 3 elite forwards out there for their versatility. I could go on.........

Most of all.....team probably wins national title against arguably best team in college basketball that year, North Carolina, if Nigel doesn't get hurt in final minute. UNC couldn't stop him.

Quote Originally Posted by CDC84 View Post
    Completely disagree. 2017 team was better. Collins in NBA. JWIII in NBA, Tillie will be in NBA. Karno the all-time winning player in NCAA history. Clogged up lane as 7-1, 300 pound center. Nigel vastly superior PG than Perkins. Allowed Josh to be a playmaking 2 guard who focused on his shot more. WAY BETTER perimeter D on 2017 team. Nigel superior point of attack defender than Josh. Nigel better PG than Josh against "in your grill" defenders like Mooney. Staff could put Josh on worst perimeter scorer. Mathews and Melson and Nigel closed out on threes better than any GU guards in history, empowered by Gonzaga's dominant frontline. 2017 team was superior defensively than today's TT team. Melson better perimeter defender than any guy on this year's Zag team....a stopper if need be. 2017 had more RELIABLE three point shooting. Too many streaky shooters on this year's team. If teams tried to involve Karno in pick and rolls, Few could just put 2 or the 3 elite forwards out there for their versatility. I could go on.........

Most of all.....team probably wins national title against arguably best team in college basketball that year, North Carolina, if Nigel doesn't get hurt in final minute. UNC couldn't stop him.

Depth was a big factor with this year’s team. I don’t remember who said that it was a mile wide but an inch deep; however, this really stuck out to me. If the Zags had a healthy Tillie all year, then maybe this team would be better than the 2017 squad. That’s going to be one of the big what ifs in program’s history. Tillie is as good of a passer as the Zags have ever had, but he was probably at 60% of what he could have been this year.

As much as I enjoyed Jeremy Jones, he clearly would’ve been the 9th man on the 2017 team. I’m beginning to wonder if we will ever see much out of Petrusev, Foster, and Ayayi. The newcomers next year have a lot to replace if all the top talent leaves. Rui stagnated at the end of the season, which could open the door for a return. He’d be a top pick regardless, but his skills need to continue evolving if he is going to blossom into an NBA Star. His shot needs to gain much more arc on it. He shoots flatter than most.

I love this year’s team, but they have guys who aren’t as strong willed as that 2017 team. I wouldn’t call them soft, but they really played their best ball at the wrong time of the year. Give Texas Tech a lot of credit for building on the model which St. Mary’s set up. Slow it down and make them work harder in the half court. This led to Norvell hucking up a lot of questionable shoots, and Rui and Clarke taking shots outside of their comfort zone. A healthy Tillie running the offense more from the high post would’ve certainly added a lot in the half court. He simply wasn’t himself though. Such a shame...

Quote Originally Posted by Malastein View Post
    Depth was a big factor with this year’s team. I don’t remember who said that it was a mile wide but an inch deep; however, this really stuck out to me. If the Zags had a healthy Tillie all year, then maybe this team would be better than the 2017 squad. That’s going to be one of the big what ifs in program’s history. Tillie is as good of a passer as the Zags have ever had, but he was probably at 60% of what he could have been this year.

As much as I enjoyed Jeremy Jones, he clearly would’ve been the 9th man on the 2017 team. I’m beginning to wonder if we will ever see much out of Petrusev, Foster, and Ayayi. The newcomers next year have a lot to replace if all the top talent leaves. Rui stagnated at the end of the season, which could open the door for a return. He’d be a top pick regardless, but his skills need to continue evolving if he is going to blossom into an NBA Star. His shot needs to gain much more arc on it. He shoots flatter than most.

I love this year’s team, but they have guys who aren’t as strong willed as that 2017 team. I wouldn’t call them soft, but they really played their best ball at the wrong time of the year. Give Texas Tech a lot of credit for building on the model which St. Mary’s set up. Slow it down and make them work harder in the half court. This led to Norvell hucking up a lot of questionable shoots, and Rui and Clarke taking shots outside of their comfort zone. A healthy Tillie running the offense more from the high post would’ve certainly added a lot in the half court. He simply wasn’t himself though. Such a shame...
    Yeah, have we heard anything official about Tillie's health postgame? He did not seem to be moving as well as we had previously seen him a game or two ago; either coaches saw same and just didn't play him in 2nd half or they knew of an injury. Regardless, Tillie was not healthy...a bouncy, healthy, confident Tillie is what this team needed. Nobody stepped up and made big shots in crunch time..the offensive execution was really disappointing down the stretch.
    It is their time....their team...I just get to watch. - Bartruff1