• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • maynard g krebs
    Zag for Life
    • Sep 2009

15-4

That is currently the Zags' tourney record over the last 5 years. With a win tomorrow, the 5 year tourney winning % would reach 80%.

Pretty incredible.
  • FuManShoes
    Zag for Life
    • Feb 2007

Originally posted by maynard g krebs View Post
    That is currently the Zags' tourney record over the last 5 years. With a win tomorrow, the 5 year tourney winning % would reach 80%.

Pretty incredible.
    Yeah, but they never win in March
    Yeah, but that's easy to do when you've got a high seed - just ask Virginia and Michigan St.
    Yeah, but that's easy to do when you don't lose guys to the NBA ...
    Yeah, but the tourney is easy for the Zags since they sleep through the WCC season
    “We’re not here as a %&#* courtesy!" - Coach Few

Comment

• NEC26
      Zag for Life
      • Feb 2007

Is he arguing that GU has an advantage by playing in the WCC? So hard to keep up with all the reasons GU doesn't belong.

Comment

• gueastcoast
        Zag for Life
        • Feb 2007

That chump got one like.
        Your children have been placed in the custody of...Carl's Jr.

Comment

• CB4
          Zag for Life
          • Feb 2009

Win or lose this year, Gonzaga will have more haters next year.

Comment

• DZ
            Zag for Life
            • Sep 2007

Originally posted by CB4 View Post
            Win or lose this year, Gonzaga will have more haters next year.
            If we just get to the Final Four, we will likely never again hear we don't belong.

NO team that gets to the Final ever has to apologize. Yet, we did face a 4 seed, then an 11, then a 7 seed to get to UNC. That gave the last few haters something to "hang" their hats on.

This year, I thought our bracket had the best 3 and 4 seeds out there, but even if not so, If we get there, we will have earned out way to the Final Four, and then it'll likely be Dook sitting right there.

I really want that Duke match-up, bc I think our guys want that game again.

I don't care about love, but want our guys respected. They're getting it now finally.
            Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.
            Mark Twain.

Comment

• TheBunnieRancher
              Kennel Club Material
              • Oct 2007

OT, did anyone else catch the stat CBS showed right after halftime? Mark Few 264-1 when leading at half by 11 points or more with the one loss being the dreaded UCLA Sweet 16 game. Now they are 265-1. Incredible.

Comment

• Pleasant Peninsula
                Professional Zag Fan
                • Mar 2008

Originally posted by TheBunnieRancher View Post
                OT, did anyone else catch the stat CBS showed right after halftime? Mark Few 264-1 when leading at half by 11 points or more with the one loss being the dreaded UCLA Sweet 16 game. Now they are 265-1. Incredible.
                I didn't find that anecdote terribly comforting at the time.

Comment

• former1dog
                  Zag for Life
                  • Feb 2007

It’s worth pointing out that Gonzaga NCAA losses the past 2 years have been due to outside factors, IMHO. Last year of course was the Tillie injury. The natty loss, take your pic of Karnowski getting poked in the eye in the semifinals or the AWFUL refereeing!!

Comment

• CB4
                    Zag for Life
                    • Feb 2009

Originally posted by DixieZag View Post
                    If we just get to the Final Four, we will likely never again hear we don't belong.

NO team that gets to the Final ever has to apologize. Yet, we did face a 4 seed, then an 11, then a 7 seed to get to UNC. That gave the last few haters something to "hang" their hats on.

This year, I thought our bracket had the best 3 and 4 seeds out there, but even if not so, If we get there, we will have earned out way to the Final Four, and then it'll likely be Dook sitting right there.

I really want that Duke match-up, bc I think our guys want that game again.

I don't care about love, but want our guys respected. They're getting it now finally.
                    The criticism will shift no matter what Gonzaga does or doesn't do. If we don't make the Sweet Sixteen in the next two years if we make the Final Four this year, pundits will call Gonzaga a one hit wonder, despite facts. If Gonzaga continues the Sweet Sixteen run with a few more E8s and F4s, pundits will say Gonzaga is gaming the system by essentially automatically qualifying for the tournament every February due to the weak WCC. All of this is bull####. There are certain things that make it easier to win at Gonzaga and certain things that make it more difficult, like any other program. I don't really care what people say about Gonzaga because it's so fun being a fan and watching the games. Coach Few and staff doesn't care either. Gonzaga has the respect of the media, NCAA, other coaches and programs already. They don't need a final four run this year to prove anything. My point is that, for sake of conversation, ratings, jealousy, entitlement and other reasons, outsiders will always criticize Gonzaga.

Comment

• DZ
                      Zag for Life
                      • Sep 2007

Originally posted by CB4 View Post
                      The criticism will shift no matter what Gonzaga does or doesn't do. If we don't make the Sweet Sixteen in the next two years if we make the Final Four this year, pundits will call Gonzaga a one hit wonder, despite facts. If Gonzaga continues the Sweet Sixteen run with a few more E8s and F4s, pundits will say Gonzaga is gaming the system by essentially automatically qualifying for the tournament every February due to the weak WCC. All of this is bull####. There are certain things that make it easier to win at Gonzaga and certain things that make it more difficult, like any other program. I don't really care what people say about Gonzaga because it's so fun being a fan and watching the games. Coach Few and staff doesn't care either. Gonzaga has the respect of the media, NCAA, other coaches and programs already. They don't need a final four run this year to prove anything. My point is that, for sake of conversation, ratings, jealousy, entitlement and other reasons, outsiders will always criticize Gonzaga.
                      Fair enough, you're right that there's a certain segment of P5 football-heads that will never accept Gonzaga as a "power" and that's fine, it doesn't bother me, either.

I do believe that the roadblocks to that argument are starting to fall completely, and that we're down to the true mouth breathers, especially if we get to the Final Four this year.

College basketball is totally different than the NBA, some years have no "great teams" - this year has about 4 or 5 great teams.

If we make the final four, making it THIS year is such a statement bc there are some great teams out there, and there were always 8 or so teams that were clearly above the others. So, to make it THIS year would be just huge IMO.

I just want our guys respected by those that "know" the lay of the land. Last night, 2 of the 3 CBS guys picked FSU despite being down 2 major players, I found that a little telling (though they're entitled to make their picks, that's fine).

All I am saying is this year has been the year of "Zion" and unbeatable Virginia, and tough as nails UNC, and all that. It's also the year of the Zags, and with our possible 3 NBA players on the floor, we belong, we might be the best of them all.

We'll see. It'd be nice to win tomorrow, bc I suspect that if we do, we could be headed to an all one seed FF, and it would be an epic one. I kind of want Duke.
                      Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.
                      Mark Twain.

Comment

• Grand Valley Zag
                        Kennel Club
                        • Nov 2017

Originally posted by Pleasant Peninsula View Post
                        I didn't find that anecdote terribly comforting at the time.
                        Yeah. I sure remember that 1.

Comment

• Ladyzag12
                          Kennel Club Material
                          • Mar 2019

I think we really need a Natty to cement our status. It is unfair, but it reminds me of the hawks losing to the Patriots. You have to capitalize on your resources to cement your legacy.

Comment

• FuManShoes
                            Zag for Life
                            • Feb 2007

Originally posted by NEC26 View Post
                            Is he arguing that GU has an advantage by playing in the WCC? So hard to keep up with all the reasons GU doesn't belong.
                            Hard to follow stupid but I believe in his twisted little brain the kid was contending the Zags are too powerful to Dance because they are so well rested from WCC play. The funny thing is the argument has gone from the Zags constantly underperform to they over-perform because of generous seeds and/or rest they get by virtue of dominating the WCC. OK ... By that logic every one of the teams that dominated their mid-major league should be playing in the Elite Eight.
                            “We’re not here as a %&#* courtesy!" - Coach Few

Comment

• zag944
                              Zag for Life
                              • Feb 2007

Originally posted by FuManShoes View Post
                              Hard to follow stupid but I believe in his twisted little brain the kid was contending the Zags are too powerful to Dance because they are so well rested from WCC play. The funny thing is the argument has gone from the Zags constantly underperform to they over-perform because of generous seeds and/or rest they get by virtue of dominating the WCC. OK ... By that logic every one of the teams that dominated their mid-major league should be playing in the Elite Eight.
                              Often, the specific reason cited for the "poor" performances back in those days was that we weren't being sharpened for the big time games enough by the WCC. Its so silly.

Comment

Working...
                              X