Results 1 to 16 of 16

Thread: 15-4

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    5,867

    Default 15-4

    That is currently the Zags' tourney record over the last 5 years. With a win tomorrow, the 5 year tourney winning % would reach 80%.

    Pretty incredible.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    2,729

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by maynard g krebs View Post
    That is currently the Zags' tourney record over the last 5 years. With a win tomorrow, the 5 year tourney winning % would reach 80%.

    Pretty incredible.
    Yeah, but they never win in March
    Yeah, but that's easy to do when you've got a high seed - just ask Virginia and Michigan St.
    Yeah, but that's easy to do when you don't lose guys to the NBA ...
    Yeah, but the tourney is easy for the Zags since they sleep through the WCC season
    “We’re not here as a %&#* courtesy!" - Coach Few

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    2,983

    Default

    Is he arguing that GU has an advantage by playing in the WCC? So hard to keep up with all the reasons GU doesn't belong.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    New York City
    Posts
    1,188

    Default

    That chump got one like.
    Your children have been placed in the custody of...Carl's Jr.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    666

    Default

    Win or lose this year, Gonzaga will have more haters next year.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    17,239

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by CB4 View Post
    Win or lose this year, Gonzaga will have more haters next year.
    If we just get to the Final Four, we will likely never again hear we don't belong.

    NO team that gets to the Final ever has to apologize. Yet, we did face a 4 seed, then an 11, then a 7 seed to get to UNC. That gave the last few haters something to "hang" their hats on.

    This year, I thought our bracket had the best 3 and 4 seeds out there, but even if not so, If we get there, we will have earned out way to the Final Four, and then it'll likely be Dook sitting right there.

    I really want that Duke match-up, bc I think our guys want that game again.

    I don't care about love, but want our guys respected. They're getting it now finally.
    Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.
    Mark Twain.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Spokane County, WA
    Posts
    169

    Default

    OT, did anyone else catch the stat CBS showed right after halftime? Mark Few 264-1 when leading at half by 11 points or more with the one loss being the dreaded UCLA Sweet 16 game. Now they are 265-1. Incredible.

  8. #8

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by TheBunnieRancher View Post
    OT, did anyone else catch the stat CBS showed right after halftime? Mark Few 264-1 when leading at half by 11 points or more with the one loss being the dreaded UCLA Sweet 16 game. Now they are 265-1. Incredible.
    I didn't find that anecdote terribly comforting at the time.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    11,603

    Default

    It’s worth pointing out that Gonzaga NCAA losses the past 2 years have been due to outside factors, IMHO. Last year of course was the Tillie injury. The natty loss, take your pic of Karnowski getting poked in the eye in the semifinals or the AWFUL refereeing!!

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    666

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by DixieZag View Post
    If we just get to the Final Four, we will likely never again hear we don't belong.

    NO team that gets to the Final ever has to apologize. Yet, we did face a 4 seed, then an 11, then a 7 seed to get to UNC. That gave the last few haters something to "hang" their hats on.

    This year, I thought our bracket had the best 3 and 4 seeds out there, but even if not so, If we get there, we will have earned out way to the Final Four, and then it'll likely be Dook sitting right there.

    I really want that Duke match-up, bc I think our guys want that game again.

    I don't care about love, but want our guys respected. They're getting it now finally.
    The criticism will shift no matter what Gonzaga does or doesn't do. If we don't make the Sweet Sixteen in the next two years if we make the Final Four this year, pundits will call Gonzaga a one hit wonder, despite facts. If Gonzaga continues the Sweet Sixteen run with a few more E8s and F4s, pundits will say Gonzaga is gaming the system by essentially automatically qualifying for the tournament every February due to the weak WCC. All of this is bull####. There are certain things that make it easier to win at Gonzaga and certain things that make it more difficult, like any other program. I don't really care what people say about Gonzaga because it's so fun being a fan and watching the games. Coach Few and staff doesn't care either. Gonzaga has the respect of the media, NCAA, other coaches and programs already. They don't need a final four run this year to prove anything. My point is that, for sake of conversation, ratings, jealousy, entitlement and other reasons, outsiders will always criticize Gonzaga.

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    17,239

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by CB4 View Post
    The criticism will shift no matter what Gonzaga does or doesn't do. If we don't make the Sweet Sixteen in the next two years if we make the Final Four this year, pundits will call Gonzaga a one hit wonder, despite facts. If Gonzaga continues the Sweet Sixteen run with a few more E8s and F4s, pundits will say Gonzaga is gaming the system by essentially automatically qualifying for the tournament every February due to the weak WCC. All of this is bull####. There are certain things that make it easier to win at Gonzaga and certain things that make it more difficult, like any other program. I don't really care what people say about Gonzaga because it's so fun being a fan and watching the games. Coach Few and staff doesn't care either. Gonzaga has the respect of the media, NCAA, other coaches and programs already. They don't need a final four run this year to prove anything. My point is that, for sake of conversation, ratings, jealousy, entitlement and other reasons, outsiders will always criticize Gonzaga.
    Fair enough, you're right that there's a certain segment of P5 football-heads that will never accept Gonzaga as a "power" and that's fine, it doesn't bother me, either.

    I do believe that the roadblocks to that argument are starting to fall completely, and that we're down to the true mouth breathers, especially if we get to the Final Four this year.

    College basketball is totally different than the NBA, some years have no "great teams" - this year has about 4 or 5 great teams.

    If we make the final four, making it THIS year is such a statement bc there are some great teams out there, and there were always 8 or so teams that were clearly above the others. So, to make it THIS year would be just huge IMO.

    I just want our guys respected by those that "know" the lay of the land. Last night, 2 of the 3 CBS guys picked FSU despite being down 2 major players, I found that a little telling (though they're entitled to make their picks, that's fine).

    All I am saying is this year has been the year of "Zion" and unbeatable Virginia, and tough as nails UNC, and all that. It's also the year of the Zags, and with our possible 3 NBA players on the floor, we belong, we might be the best of them all.

    We'll see. It'd be nice to win tomorrow, bc I suspect that if we do, we could be headed to an all one seed FF, and it would be an epic one. I kind of want Duke.
    Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.
    Mark Twain.

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Nov 2017
    Posts
    160

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Pleasant Peninsula View Post
    I didn't find that anecdote terribly comforting at the time.
    Yeah. I sure remember that 1.

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Mar 2019
    Posts
    116

    Default

    I think we really need a Natty to cement our status. It is unfair, but it reminds me of the hawks losing to the Patriots. You have to capitalize on your resources to cement your legacy.

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    2,729

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by NEC26 View Post
    Is he arguing that GU has an advantage by playing in the WCC? So hard to keep up with all the reasons GU doesn't belong.
    Hard to follow stupid but I believe in his twisted little brain the kid was contending the Zags are too powerful to Dance because they are so well rested from WCC play. The funny thing is the argument has gone from the Zags constantly underperform to they over-perform because of generous seeds and/or rest they get by virtue of dominating the WCC. OK ... By that logic every one of the teams that dominated their mid-major league should be playing in the Elite Eight.
    “We’re not here as a %&#* courtesy!" - Coach Few

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    1,355

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by FuManShoes View Post
    Hard to follow stupid but I believe in his twisted little brain the kid was contending the Zags are too powerful to Dance because they are so well rested from WCC play. The funny thing is the argument has gone from the Zags constantly underperform to they over-perform because of generous seeds and/or rest they get by virtue of dominating the WCC. OK ... By that logic every one of the teams that dominated their mid-major league should be playing in the Elite Eight.
    Often, the specific reason cited for the "poor" performances back in those days was that we weren't being sharpened for the big time games enough by the WCC. Its so silly.

  16. #16
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    6,152

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by DixieZag View Post
    If we just get to the Final Four, we will likely never again hear we don't belong.

    NO team that gets to the Final ever has to apologize. Yet, we did face a 4 seed, then an 11, then a 7 seed to get to UNC. That gave the last few haters something to "hang" their hats on.

    This year, I thought our bracket had the best 3 and 4 seeds out there, but even if not so, If we get there, we will have earned out way to the Final Four, and then it'll likely be Dook sitting right there.

    I really want that Duke match-up, bc I think our guys want that game again.

    I don't care about love, but want our guys respected. They're getting it now finally.
    Duke has to win first. Down 4 at the half to Va Tech..

    UNC lost, so if Duke loses there is just the one ACC, which means the ACC was overseeded this year.
    Hoping you have a sense of humor too!

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •