Thread: Big time respect to Perkins

Default Big time respect to Perkins

From what I observed it appeared FSU really tried to intimidate Josh, which is fine I understand that strategy, it’s a battle. Seemed to be a lot of grabbing him, slapping his hand/arms shouldering him when walking past him etc etc, I get it. But josh never wilted and made big time plays when needed.
    Thought josh steal and 3 point play right before half was huge since FSU could have cut lead to 6 or 5 points going into half. Big moment to get lead back to 11. Then right at end maybe the next play after zacks dagger Perkins ended up on the 7’4”guy and he did a great job getting physical and denying a clean entry pass and the pass had to be made toward baseline and the big guy struggled to catch it allowing help to come and then josh stripped it from him. Huge defensive plays. I remember in sweet 16 I’m 2017 josh blocked a shot that lead to Mathews dagger 3 pointer that year

Josh doing great and now the second winningest NCAA basketball player of all time. Gonzaga, #1 Karnowski, #2 Perkins.
    Two Zags, two top all-time.

I agree with the OP. I also have to say, it did get to him a couple of times with head scratching loose dribbles and non sensical passes a couple of times. Thankfully, he made many more heady/great plays than silly turnovers.

Quote Originally Posted by former1dog View Post
    I agree with the OP. I also have to say, it did get to him a couple of times with head scratching loose dribbles and non sensical passes a couple of times. Thankfully, he made many more heady/great plays than silly turnovers.
    It's weird how we seem to remember Josh's mistakes more than his great plays, and how that recency/mistake bias seems unique to Perk and not all the other Zag PGs who've passed through and not set assist records, led the nation in Ast/TO ratio or helped take the Zags to 5 straight S16s, 3 E8s and at least one FF. I'm guilty of this too and found myself yelling at the TV when he had a bad stretch against FSU but also tried really hard to appreciate everything else he was doing - scoring the ball amongst trees, making some huge defensive plays and hitting FTs down the stretch. The guy has moxie and while he's thrown some bad passes in games we all remember, he's done so much more positive to cement his squads as the best to ever don a Zag uni. Man he'll be missed. So keep on winning with and for Perk!
    “We’re not here as a %&#* courtesy!" - Coach Few

This board (not the OP) is bipolar.

Quote Originally Posted by FuManShoes View Post
    It's weird how we seem to remember Josh's mistakes more than his great plays, and how that recency/mistake bias seems unique to Perk and not all the other Zag PGs who've passed through and not set assist records, led the nation in Ast/TO ratio or helped take the Zags to 5 straight S16s, 3 E8s and at least one FF. I'm guilty of this too and found myself yelling at the TV when he had a bad stretch against FSU but also tried really hard to appreciate everything else he was doing - scoring the ball amongst trees, making some huge defensive plays and hitting FTs down the stretch. The guy has moxie and while he's thrown some bad passes in games we all remember, he's done so much more positive to cement his squads as the best to ever don a Zag uni. Man he'll be missed. So keep on winning with and for Perk!
    Probably because he doesn't make them very often, so they stand out.
    "And Morrison? He did what All-Americans do. He shot daggers in the daylight and stole a win." - Steve Kelley (Seattle Times)

"Gonzaga is a special place, with special people!" - Dan Dickau #21

Foo me once shame on you, Foo me twice shame on me.

2012 Foostrodamus - Foothsayer of Death

Quote Originally Posted by FuManShoes View Post
    As the author of the Josh Perkins appreciation thread (started last year and updated recently), I'm a huge Perkins fan, but some of those plays last night were killing me! Maybe because I've so vociferously defended him.

One small correction, Perkins has played in 4 sweet 16's. If he has played in 5, we got some 'splainin' to do!

Quote Originally Posted by zagdontzig View Post
    So?

That added a great deal.

Perk was extremely mentally tough last night, which makes up for the mistakes that are inevitable when hounded like that by great athletes.

He also made the play that sealed the game, having the smarts to recognize that FSU was going to let a full precious 25 seconds get milked off the clock, then setting up the perfect lob pass to score at the rim to take it up 9 off all that time coming off.

He limited turnovers, and led with his cool attitude. We desperately felt his loss whenever any of the other guards had to do a lot of dribbling.

He also hit a clutch 3, and some clutch FTs to ice it.

Playing great basketball.
    Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.
    Mark Twain.

Quote Originally Posted by DixieZag View Post
    So?

That added a great deal.

Perk was extremely mentally tough last night, which makes up for the mistakes that are inevitable when hounded like that by great athletes.

He also made the play that sealed the game, having the smarts to recognize that FSU was going to let a full precious 25 seconds get milked off the clock, then setting up the perfect lob pass to score at the rim to take it up 9 off all that time coming off.

He limited turnovers, and led with his cool attitude. We desperately felt his loss whenever any of the other guards had to do a lot of dribbling.

My point, which you correctly pointed out was not well-described, was that Perkins, and at times, Norvell are the subjects of vigorous criticism by some, then praise by others. I tend to believe both are stellar players, who are human and have bad nights.

I still think he is going to have one game where he is the offensive hero - maybe against Texas Tech? I thought it may be last night but he didn't take too many shots in the 2nd half. He's going to need to step up and start drilling some a bunch of outside shots at some point. That would be a great way for him to go out...

My point, which you correctly pointed out was not well-described, was that Perkins, and at times, Norvell are the subjects of vigorous criticism by some, then praise by others. I tend to believe both are stellar players, who are human and have bad nights.
    Yes, that is true.

They are the guys with the ball in their hands most of the game, and neither is a shrinking violet. They both make spectacular plays and bone headed plays.

They made plenty of both last night.

What I think is now beyond question is there is a toughness to both of them that is essential to moving through games like last night and tomorrow.

I do see your point. It is the nature of "fanatics" and the nature of their games. Both love the high risk, high reward play.
    Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.
    Mark Twain.

People are going to miss perkins like people missed karno. They had the same vibe going on for part of their careers by this board only to be loved late. Perkins is a stud.
    Love the zags for life

Quote Originally Posted by Zags11 View Post
    People are going to miss perkins like people missed karno. They had the same vibe going on for part of their careers by this board only to be loved late. Perkins is a stud.
    I missed Perk the moment he took to the bench last night.
    Mark Twain.

Lol yep.
    Love the zags for life

Along the annual journey we know as Zag hoops, the range of emotions can reach extremes. Some of the comments over the past couple of weeks have been head scratchers, though.

After the St. Mary's game, I admit I harbored doubts about the Zags' chances. Not anymore...they cannot be beaten the way they're playing on offense and defense. They do need to limit turnovers, and stay away from hero ball. We're one of the best passing teams in the country, and that's what makes our offense go.

Geno got his bad game out of the way last night. He'll bounce back, important for him to be productive, to keep Josh fresh.

Quote Originally Posted by CdAZagFan View Post
    I still think he is going to have one game where he is the offensive hero - maybe against Texas Tech? I thought it may be last night but he didn't take too many shots in the 2nd half. He's going to need to step up and start drilling some a bunch of outside shots at some point. That would be a great way for him to go out...
    You may be right. I think Perkins is certainly capable. The issue with that though is that I believe Perkins when he says he's all about the success of the team. I believe him 100%. It shows in the win - loss record he has accumulated.

That lob pass he threw to Clarke with around 1:20 left was ridiculous. It was like a QB hitting his WR where only he could catch it. I thought that pass was fantastic.

Quote Originally Posted by ZagOD7540 View Post
    That lob pass he threw to Clarke with around 1:20 left was ridiculous. It was like a QB hitting his WR where only he could catch it. I thought that pass was fantastic.
    Plus, having the head to recognize they weren't going to foul and milking away 25 precious seconds.

We had not been hitting FTs, that possession was huge. For him to realize they were going to let us have 25 seconds, take all of them and be in position to lob it in, was perfect match of head with play-making.

That play and Norvelle's 3, the two game changers IMO.
    Mark Twain.

So?

That added a great deal.

I love that u point out “mistakes that are inevitable against great athletes.” I think that is a great point. We haven’t seen that kind of animal in many months, and yes those athletes are gonna cause a guy to make SOME mistakes for sure. He more than made up for it. As others stated his FT shooting down stretch showed his mental toughness. Plus one of those finishes by him on left side of rim over 7’4” was really a tough bucket late in crunch time

One of the best, if not THE best, individual play I ever saw Perkins make was the steal and lay up at the end of the first half. First, to poke that ball hard and get it out to where he could get a running dribble towards the basket. Then to realize he was being chased and caught by a much bigger, shot blocking player. Then to adjust to that reality by driving into the defender chests, putting the shot blocker under the rim and then to extend out his right hand and make a scoop layup, having the strength to finish that play while getting fouled was a all a master class in how to do all the things I just described. So impressive!

Quote Originally Posted by former1dog View Post
    One of the best, if not THE best, individual play I ever saw Perkins make was the steal and lay up at the end of the first half. First, to poke that ball hard and get it out to where he could get a running dribble towards the basket. Then to realize he was being chased and caught by a much bigger, shot blocking player. Then to adjust to that reality by driving into the defender chests, putting the shot blocker under the rim and then to extend out his right hand and make a scoop layup, having the strength to finish that play while getting fouled was a all a master class in how to do all the things I just described. So impressive!
    Very well said