Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Dreadful TV Coverage

Quote Originally Posted by DixieZag View Post
    I try to stay away from media criticism, in part bc the media doesn't get to speak back, so it's easy to kick them around.

That having been said, I found last night's game to be one of the few where I almost turned the sound off. It is cliché, we hear about "turning sound off" all the time. Yet, until last night, I hadn't considered it.

I found the announcers to be overly supportive of everything FSU. I "chalk" that up to wanting a close game. But it resulted in them calling a game different than the one on TV, where FSU made "runs" of 3 points, or played "Great Defense" when the Zags were up 14.

I am honestly disappointed that the same team will near surely be doing Saturday.
    Spot on. I was complaining so loudly about that jackhole middle announcer dude that my wife thought I was crazy. (That's nothing new, by the way)

U gotta understand, most of the on-air "talent" are former P5 players, coaches, alums and many yack all year on P5 games. GU, the Miracle, is still and will always be hard for them to swallow. It's not obvious or stated, but you just feel it. And that includes guys like Raf, Bonner, Lapdog, the dozens of Dook alums who can breathe and are put on the air, etc. Only maybe Franny is fair, but he's a P5 wonk as well. We are still the unwashed team from the PNW.

Quote Originally Posted by stretch View Post
    CBS did defer to Gene Steratore for his take on the elbow shot to Rui and he said it was a flagrant one in his opinion which should have been called.
    How did it not get called? I was watching in a sports bar and couldn't hear the rationale that well? Seemed like a cut-n-dry flagrant 1.

Quote Originally Posted by zagdontzig View Post
    How did it not get called? I was watching in a sports bar and couldn't hear the rationale that well? Seemed like a cut-n-dry flagrant 1.
    "incidental contact" was the ruling -- it was absurd. It was obvious the FSU player knew Rui was there. if not intentional, it was certainly reckless.

OMG. Some of you are starting to sound like Kentucky fans more and more...

You can't complain about the game, or the officials, and it's too early to complain about the Texas Tech fan's comments on their sites, so you're complaining about the announcers??? Fans from other teams are going to surf here to see what we're saying about their teams. Is this what you want them to read?

The only thing worse than a sore loser is a sore winner...

So don't read it...the thread title was clear....complaining about complaining is just more complaining

Quote Originally Posted by Zagsker View Post
    What situation? If someone actually took the time to contact CBS and complain about the "biased" coverage of last night's game then that is a person I dont want to go out and eat with...type of person that would find any fault in the service we were getting and complain for comps
    I have not done that once in my life. But, I am not contacting CBS, either.

I did not find the coverage "biased" against us, as I noted in the OP - I think it was an attempt to play up the "close game" aspect that led to over-praising everything FSU did.

I worked in media for a short period of time and have a ton of respect. People here don't understand how difficult Heister's job, overseeing a game with a team up by 30 and never in doubt, can be. He's gotten better.

Again, I rarely complain about media. Something about last night's broadcast seemed highly "off" to me. I threw it out there for others. But I am not that bad in "finding fault" in all service.

Service of all types is difficult.
    Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.
    Mark Twain.

Quote Originally Posted by Robzagnut View Post
    OMG. Some of you are starting to sound like Kentucky fans more and more...

You can't complain about the game, or the officials, and it's too early to complain about the Texas Tech fan's comments on their sites, so you're complaining about the announcers??? Fans from other teams are going to surf here to see what we're saying about their teams. Is this what you want them to read?

The only thing worse than a sore loser is a sore winner...
    Oh, please. This is not about 'complaining to complain".

I did not once say that we're being disrespected. I said I believed they were pumping a close game, and that resulted in dissociation.

And unlike the wailing of the Kentucky fan, many actual examples are being given of just weird "takes" on the action.

Hardly a "sore winner," I find it much more so a position of standing up for our kids who played their hearts out, getting tossed all over the court, only to hear endless praise for FSU.

I love hearing countering views, but not when the countering view is just to insult a group of people who saw it differently.
    Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.
    Mark Twain.

I love listening to announcers and i didn't hear anything bad. I love Harlan.

This was yet another case of three in the booth which is always one too many unless one of the guys is named Raftery and even then it's marginal. Dan Bonner the supposed "color guy" is an East Coast guy. Although I was familiar with his name I had to look up his bio. I thought his contributions were weak. Harlan is a guy I like and his excitement doesn't strike me as being as faux as Gus Johnson and yes I know a lot of you like him. His "slipper still fits" line is a classic.
    Birddog

Twas brillig, and the slithy toves
    Did gyre and gimble in the wabe:
    All mimsy were the borogoves,
    And the mome raths outgrabe.

I think everyone is just so used to having the ESPN announcers praising Gonzaga during the entire game. Also against FSU we we're winning the entire game so the announcers had to try and make it seem interesting for the audience.

Among other comments that seemed unsubstantiated attacks on the Zags, I found the narration at the 6:45 mark to be egregious.

It was after a slow-mo replay so there wasn't momentary confusion, and 2 different announcers agreed on the same statement, which was:

Savoy was just... Hachimura ran into him!
    Yeah.
    This was said in context of Savoy's left shoulder popping out, after Rui had euro-stepped around Savoy's right side.

First of all, Rui did NOT run into Savoy at all.
    Secondly, any incidental contact would have only been instigated by Savoy, and was on Savoy's right side.
    Any strain on Savoy's left should could only have been caused by Savoy reaching across the front of his own body with his left hand to grab a fast-moving Rui, and getting his arm/should pulled sideways as a result. I was upset to see Savoy's left should pop out (later popped in and he returned) but the idea that Rui caused it or ran into him? Come on...

Again, the things that made this narration so bad in my view was that happened following at least 1 slow-motion replay and wasn't a real time mistake, and that the statement was made by one of the announcers and then unequivocally agreed with by Reggie Miller as the second announcer.
    Last edited by LTownZag; 03-29-2019 at 06:30 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by zagssuperfan View Post
    One of the biggest glaring bias moments they showed was when norvell got hit in the head and they all gushes about how clearly clean it was. Once they showed the replay that he was obviously hit in the head...not another word from any of them.
    I think that block was clean. 7:15

Quote Originally Posted by LTownZag View Post
    Among other comments that seemed unsubstantiated attacks on the Zags, I found the narration at the 6:45 mark to be egregious.

It was after a slow-mo replay so there wasn't momentary confusion, and 2 different announcers agreed on the same statement, which was:

This was said in context of Savoy's left shoulder popping out, after Rui had euro-stepped around Savoy's right side.

First of all, Rui did NOT run into Savoy at all.
    Secondly, any incidental contact would have only been instigated by Savoy, and was on Savoy's right side.
    Any strain on Savoy's left should could only have been caused by Savoy reaching across the front of his own body with his left hand to grab a fast-moving Rui, and getting his arm/should pulled sideways as a result. I was upset to see Savoy's left should pop out (later popped in and he returned) but the idea that Rui caused it or ran into him? Come on...

Again, the things that made this narration so bad in my view was that happened following at least 1 slow-motion replay and wasn't a real time mistake, and that the statement was made by one of the announcers and then unequivocally agreed with by Reggie Miller as the second announcer.
    I also think that really hurt the shoulder was his own player landing on that same shoulder 3 seconds later. It least made it much worse.
    Mark Twain.

I didn't hear any explanation for the foul on Geno, after he had the ball stolen and was trailing the FSU player down the court. The FSU player seemed to go away from the basket and into Crandalls path. The foul was called on Geno, but clearly they FSU player instigated the contact.
    I'm laughing. Why aren't you?

Quote Originally Posted by willandi View Post
    I didn't hear any explanation for the foul on Geno, after he had the ball stolen and was trailing the FSU player down the court. The FSU player seemed to go away from the basket and into Crandalls path. The foul was called on Geno, but clearly they FSU player instigated the contact.
    Yep. Don't like to complain about the refs, but they were pretty awful for most of the game.

I thought regarding the elbow that caused Rui's bloody nose the CBS announcers were correct and the refs were wrong.

The announcers and the rules expert that they spoke with all seemed to imply or suggest a flagrant 1 would be called or was at least deserved. The refs decided otherwise, but I think the mistake was on the refs, not the announcers.

Quote Originally Posted by PeninsulaDog View Post
    "incidental contact" was the ruling -- it was absurd. It was obvious the FSU player knew Rui was there. if not intentional, it was certainly reckless.
    According to the rule, it only has to be excessive, which it was. Intentional has nothing to do with it, unless they are elevating it to a flagrant 2. Still can't believe it.

Quote Originally Posted by zagssuperfan View Post
    According to the rule, it only has to be excessive, which it was. Intentional has nothing to do with it, unless they are elevating it to a flagrant 2. Still can't believe it.
    I didn't know that.

Thx
    Mark Twain.

Default Terrible bias

At the start of the game the announcers kept saying what a great start Florida State was off to--and they were losing

I love watching the highlights. Check this one out. Talk about bias--I went back and took stats on just the clips shown in this CBS game recap/highlights. According to these clips Florida Stat absolutely demolished GU
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wd-XVFKHWPg

FSU
    31 points shown--including the first 9 of the clip and at one point 15 of the 17 points they had scored in the game.
    3 blocks
    2 steals
    2 offensive rebounds

GU
    14 points shown
    1 block
    1 steal

My conclusion: who cares? I just find it funny but wow.
    Some people have a way with words. Some people not have way.

Quote Originally Posted by mainer6 View Post
    At the start of the game the announcers kept saying what a great start Florida State was off to--and they were losing

I love watching the highlights. Check this one out. Talk about bias--I went back and took stats on just the clips shown in this CBS game recap/highlights. According to these clips Florida Stat absolutely demolished GU
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wd-XVFKHWPg

FSU
    31 points shown--including the first 9 of the clip and at one point 15 of the 17 points they had scored in the game.
    3 blocks
    2 steals
    2 offensive rebounds

GU
    14 points shown
    1 block
    1 steal

My conclusion: who cares? I just find it funny but wow.
    I don't think a highlight clip reel is under any obligation to show highlight proportional to the final score.

If one team scores in less dramatic ways, those shots aren't in a highlight reel. It means nothing and isn't a slight against GU.

I can't watch a Gonzaga game without Tom Hudson and Adam Morrison calling the game on the radio, so what the announcers on TV say is irrelevant to me.

Quote Originally Posted by LTownZag View Post
    I don't think a highlight clip reel is under any obligation to show highlight proportional to the final score.

If one team scores in less dramatic ways, those shots aren't in a highlight reel. It means nothing and isn't a slight against GU.
    Understood but there is some subjective bias in choosing what is more or less "dramatic" which was the point of my post. Why is a fade away by FSU a superior highlight to Hachimura's drive and hoop from half court--especially when the ratio of highlights is more than 2:1 in favor of the losing team?
    Some people have a way with words. Some people not have way.

Quote Originally Posted by Zags11 View Post
    I love listening to announcers and i didn't hear anything bad. I love Harlan.
    Same here, I love Harlan.
    Let's go Brandon!!!

East Coast guys and they know East Coast teams. to wit: When's the last time Harlan or Miller call on of our games? Not ever this year. SO they talk about what they know......East coast teams mostly SEC or ACC. Not hard to figure it out.
    I'm still amazed to see our program on National TV. And am humbled and grateful for the job Few and Fr Spitzer did/ done!