Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Dreadful TV Coverage

Default Dreadful TV Coverage

I try to stay away from media criticism, in part bc the media doesn't get to speak back, so it's easy to kick them around.

That having been said, I found last night's game to be one of the few where I almost turned the sound off. It is cliché, we hear about "turning sound off" all the time. Yet, until last night, I hadn't considered it.

I found the announcers to be overly supportive of everything FSU. I "chalk" that up to wanting a close game. But it resulted in them calling a game different than the one on TV, where FSU made "runs" of 3 points, or played "Great Defense" when the Zags were up 14.

I am honestly disappointed that the same team will near surely be doing Saturday.
    Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.
    Mark Twain.

They were so one-sided I almost had to turn off the sound too.

Quote Originally Posted by DixieZag View Post
    I try to stay away from media criticism, in part bc the media doesn't get to speak back, so it's easy to kick them around.

That having been said, I found last night's game to be one of the few where I almost turned the sound off. It is cliché, we hear about "turning sound off" all the time. Yet, until last night, I hadn't considered it.

I found the announcers to be overly supportive of everything FSU. I "chalk" that up to wanting a close game. But it resulted in them calling a game different than the one on TV, where FSU made "runs" of 3 points, or played "Great Defense" when the Zags were up 14.

I am honestly disappointed that the same team will near surely be doing Saturday.
    It did seem that at times they were gushing over FSU despite the fact that they trailed almost the whole game...well, except for the 8 seconds it took for Clarke to tie the game after the opening dunk. Their only lead of the game.
    I'm laughing. Why aren't you?

I think you are right about Sat. I just hope they don't keep talking about the Seminoles...or Duke.
    I'm laughing. Why aren't you?

With all do respect, I watched the CBS feed and I did not have a thought that there was any bias against Gonzaga. Of the announcers, I am only truly familiar with Reggie Miller, whose commentary is very solid in my books. Different strokes.

I thought Kevin Harlan did his usual solid PYP job, he has a great broadcasting voice, btw. Reggie Miller was OK, brought shooter’s perspective, not to mention West Coast guy. The middle clown (I don’t recall his name) was the Nole cheerleader. On multiple occasions I said to my daughter that I was OK with FSU’s great run or defense or depth or size, etc as long as the Zags were up 8 to 12 points. I think I heard them say that he covered the acc, makes sense.

It was worse than annoying and I never complain about bias in the broadcasts...perhaps you are right Dixie..... that they were wanting to maintain interest in a game that Gonzaga was clearly the more skilled team...I can't think of any other explanation...it was weird...….

I hope the viewers let CBS know about the situation...

Quote Originally Posted by DixieZag View Post

Glad to hear it wasn't just me. Sometimes I think my bias is so bad that I'm going crazy. When they did that highlight coming out of a break, I told my wife "watch, I guarantee it will be an fsu highlight". Sure enough. One of the biggest glaring bias moments they showed was when norvell got hit in the head and they all gushes about how clearly clean it was. Once they showed the replay that he was obviously hit in the head...not another word from any of them.

Agree 110%, and I don't think I'm someone who typically looks for bias in these things (and frankly I don't much care). The only comparable example I can recall was when we had Lappas against Seton Hall in 2016 (although in that case maybe it's that I just don't like Lappas; that said I thought he was fine this year).

I don't feel the coverage was as "anti-GU" as it was "pro Seminoles", perhaps given subconscious bias towards the better-known (to the broadcast team) entity, or because they wanted a closer game. I don't ascribe it to animus but that doesn't make it any less annoying.

As I said in the game thread, it reminded me of how SiriusXM will telecast (mostly football I believe) games with the "home" call for each team, so if you're a Seahawks fan you can listen to a local broadcast when playing (say) the Rams, and vice versa.

Dixie, to your OP, perhaps the networks NEED to hear more of this feedback. It detracts from the experience.
    Your children have been placed in the custody of...Carl's Jr.

I agree that the coverage wasn't "anti-GU" in any sense, but as others have mentioned, the one color guy was just so obnoxious in his praise for anything positive FSU did, that it really did start to detract from the game.
    I will thank God for the day and the moment I have. - Jimmy V

Quote Originally Posted by stretch View Post
    With all do respect, I watched the CBS feed and I did not have a thought that there was any bias against Gonzaga. Of the announcers, I am only truly familiar with Reggie Miller, whose commentary is very solid in my books. Different strokes.
    Agree...the only annoyance I had, and I think this stems from my "dont jinx us" personality, us that they kept saying "FSU is keeping it close", when in reality GU was keeping them an arms length away for a majority. The highest deficit was 14 and they acted as if FSU getting it to 8 or 6 was some miracle..the spread was 7.5 and GU kept it around that pretty much throughout
    I am working on being a more all around square.

Quote Originally Posted by bartruff1 View Post
    I hope the viewers let CBS know about the situation...
    What situation? If someone actually took the time to contact CBS and complain about the "biased" coverage of last night's game then that is a person I dont want to go out and eat with...type of person that would find any fault in the service we were getting and complain for comps

I watched the game at a bar without sound, so I didn't get a chance to hear the TV announcers, but I was running late, so I did have to listen to the first 5 mins of the game on the radio (Westwood One feed) and I felt the same way about them. They were so animated and excited any time FSU scored, but ho-hum when the Zags scored.
    My posts indicate that I don't seem to follow college basketball all that closely.

"....and Gonzaga advances for the first time since 2017...."

To the elite 8?

I had to check the score a few times listening to the announcers and thought maybe the 10s figure in the Zags score was wrong. Pesky announcers!

I do agree, mostly. But my reaction was different. It made me get even more fired up. And it wasn't only the announcers, it was Barkely, Smith too. They had a very difficult time saying anything positive about GU either before the game or at halftime. However, those guys are usually wrong in their analysis and their picks.

To out defense one of the best defensive teams in the country is pretty special. the way we shut down Kabengele and Mann was just so awesome to watch. Clarke is so intense. I love watching his defense, and Tillie is really making a difference on defense. He is finally fitting into the flow of Gonzaga's offense too. His passing has been super.

Go Zags!!!
    Go Zags!!! The Best Is Yet To Come!!!

I agree Dix. Harlan was as usual great. Bonner and Miller just kept talking about FSU. It was annoying. Glad they couldn’t get FSU to win though
    Qualified for 23 Straight Big Dances

12 Straight Round of 32s

11 Sweet Sixteens (6 Straight)

4 Elite Eights

2017 AND 2021 FINAL FOUR

2 Winningest Players in college basketball history (Karnowski 137, Perkins 134)

2021 Undefeated Regular Season

The Best Point Guard to ever play the game: John Stockton, most assists, most steals.

The comment that drove me nuts was when somebody (I think Bonner) referred to the clear cheap shot elbow as a typical swim move, not deserving of any type of foul. I guess the officials agreed, but I couldn't believe the announcers could watch the replay and think that it was anything but an intentional elbow to the jaw.

Glad I wasn't the only one that noticed that... comical. As if it has been several decades since GU last advanced to the Elite 8! IT WAS TWO YEARS AGO YOU CLOWN!

Overall I didn't think the announcers were anti-GU. The game never felt like we had it locked up. GU should have been able to extend the lead to blowout range yet didn't. I think you have to give FSU credit for that. We never separated to the point where I felt comfortable. The announcers have to make the game exciting and the game WAS exciting so I wasn't upset with the commentary while I watched (just me I guess).

I did take issue with Sir Charles at half time. Did he refer to FSU as "we" and "us" multiple times while discussing what they needed to do to get back into the game? THAT is NOT objective. I would excuse it if he was referring to Auburn, but this was FSU.

Quote Originally Posted by Zagsker View Post
    To the elite 8?
    I couldn't believe they said that...…. and implied (to me)…... that it has been such a long time without advancing to the E8.....

Quote Originally Posted by zagfan24 View Post
    The comment that drove me nuts was when somebody (I think Bonner) referred to the clear cheap shot elbow as a typical swim move, not deserving of any type of foul. I guess the officials agreed, but I couldn't believe the announcers could watch the replay and think that it was anything but an intentional elbow to the jaw.
    CBS did defer to Gene Steratore for his take on the elbow shot to Rui and he said it was a flagrant one in his opinion which should have been called.

Quote Originally Posted by Zagsker View Post
    What situation? If someone actually took the time to contact CBS and complain about the "biased" coverage of last night's game then that is a person I dont want to go out and eat with...type of person that would find any fault in the service we were getting and complain for comps
    Don't worry about it...the chances of us going to dinner are about zero....asking for a more objective broadcast crew doesn't seem unreasonable to me...besides they don't give comps at Taco Bell..

Quote Originally Posted by webspinnre View Post
    I agree that the coverage wasn't "anti-GU" in any sense, but as others have mentioned, the one color guy was just so obnoxious in his praise for anything positive FSU did, that it really did start to detract from the game.
    I agree. As I said in another topic, I think the announcers sensed that it was close to being a blow out, so they were pumping up FSU and trying to keep neutral listeners engaged in the game. What more can Smith and Barkley say at halftime better than, "Gonzaga should be up by at least 20." That's the best compliment I can think of... Three things that the announcers missed:

1. The flagrant elbow to Rui.
    2. The head shot on Snax when his dunk was 'blocked'.
    3. Rui didn't hurt the FSU player's shoulder. His teammate did when he tried to block Rui's shot and came down hard on top of him.

The color commentary during the first 5-10 minutes of the game was almost surreal -- like the broadcast team wasn't seeing the score. Endless praise for FSU's defense despite Gonzaga having the lead, etc. It seemed like no one noticed how exceptional the Gonzaga defense was until just about halftime. I don't think it was so much bias as it was an inability to adjust to the reality of the game: Miller and Bonner seemed to have had scripts based on their pregame prep, and just couldn't deviate from them for some reason. Harlan is generally pretty good -- affected delivery, but pretty funny.