Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: GU vs Texas Tech (Elite 8) - Predictions/Thoughts/What you do hope to see

Default GU vs Texas Tech (Elite 8) - Predictions/Thoughts/What you do hope to see

Zags now face Texas Tech. Does the Zags #1 offense top Texas Tech's #1 defense? Or do the Red Raiders end the Zags run?

What are you hoping to see? Expect to see? Thoughts? Predictions?

Have at it boys and girls!
    "And Morrison? He did what All-Americans do. He shot daggers in the daylight and stole a win." - Steve Kelley (Seattle Times)

"Gonzaga is a special place, with special people!" - Dan Dickau #21

Foo me once shame on you, Foo me twice shame on me.

2012 Foostrodamus - Foothsayer of Death

I feel way more confident in this game than FSU. I think we match up better. So Gonzaga 80, TT 70.

GU 79
    TTU 68

Go Zags!

Zags 64
    TTU 60

A rock fight
    21 Straight Big Dances

11 Straight Round of 32s

10 Sweet Sixteens (5 Straight)

4 Elite Eights

2017 FINAL FOUR

2 Winningest Players in college basketball history (Karnowski 137, Perkins 134)

The Best Point Guard to ever play the game: John Stockton, most assists, most steals.

GU 72
    TTU 65
    The world is a magical place full of people waiting to be offended by something.

Another grinder as the redemption tour rolls on.

Zags 71
    TTU 59
    Your children have been placed in the custody of...Carl's Jr.

GU 70, TT 64

85-68

Zags play team ball better.
    Hoping you have a sense of humor too!

I felt better about this game at yesterday's halftime of the Michigan-Texas Tech game. Michigan was terrible, but Texas Tech went on to score a great deal after having 10 points at the 10 minute mark.

Still, I like the way the guys got through yesterday. They were so mentally tough to get through that game. The refs were allowing FSU to be SO physical. Really proud of our guys.

I believe that they believe they are going to the Final Four. I think they were quite nervous yesterday, I don't think they'll be nervous tomorrow. I think they'll be playing hard and rolling.

GU 72
    TT 66
    Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.
    Mark Twain.

I'm more impressed by their 20 pt demolition of Buffalo than what I saw last night.

Texas Tech is cruising. Riding their insanely difficult defense and upstart offense as of late.

Their defense is sound, strong, long, & disciplined. They made adjustments every 10 seconds in the shot clock...that is incredible.

They can grind it if they want and get out and run when they need to. It's the reason they have won so many, and lost so few. Versatile and have great chemistry combined with terrific coaching.

They have snipers from 3pt, big bodies down low (1 is 6'10" with a 7'4" wingspan who protects the rim, the other is 6'8" 250lbs who can bruise and bang). Their combo guard is a Top 5 pick in the NBA Draft. And their guards are smart, patient, hard nosed, & can shoot!

Probably the most uniquely balanced team outside UNC & Gonzaga.

And they were fresh post game, while we looked flat our exhausted. Uncertain if this helps or hinders us for this type of game.

It will be a grinder. They like to zone and play man, and morph between pressure man, and zone as shot clock winds down.

I've never seen a defense quite like it. Michigan is straight fwd pressure, fundamental, locked in, hustle based defense much like Virginia. Tech is tricky. Will be incredibly tough to prepare for on short turnaround.

As another poster pointed out -- #1 offense vs #1 defense. That's Final 4 esque...will have to earn every point/bucket tomorrow.

No one has been able to slow down Culver. That is key for our defense. Also, no one talks about Morretti but the kid hits shot after shot, 50% FG on the season. X factor on offense as he keeps defenses honest. Mooney has been one of the best grad transfer players in NCAA this season. He was nearly a Zag at one point. Saavy, experienced, fearless, & will surprise you with his toughness/athleticism.

Their bigs aren't the most skilled guys but they make plays, rebound well, & protect the rim. They also do a great job running the floor and spacing the court for Culver to destroy defenses. He reminds me of a quicker, more controlled Lance Stephenson. Or much like that kid from South Carolina in the Final 4, with much better supporting cast and shooters than USC.

I feel like we can defend these guys. Our defense has really stepped up, especially guys like Tillie and Kispert. Corey has looked like an entirely different player this post season, I honestly haven't been able to recognize him on the court, and that's a good thing. Also, he actually runs opponents off the 3pt line. His patented late lunge is long gone and it's a wonderfully pleasant surprise.

However, Tech defense has shut down teams much like us. I think we are somewhat similar to Kansas in terms of our actions and sets on offense, and Tech blew them out by 30. They seem to feast on teams who like pick n roll.

I'm nervous about scoring enough points in this one. If we can get to 70, it will be a bball miracle imho.

Thus, 61 - 60.

Win on a last second hook shot from Clarke

Zags 69 Tech 61
    “People have an uncanny ability to make me think I am smarter than I really am. Human Beings bring me back to reality.” S.T.

Funny... I dreaded this matchup far more than FSU. But no way will this be a high scoring affair. #1 D against #1 O.

I have faith in this Zags team... to this point, ever since the SMC loss, they have basically been imposing their will on their opponents.

I think this will be a grinder.

Zags 68
    TTU 60
    "And Morrison? He did what All-Americans do. He shot daggers in the daylight and stole a win." - Steve Kelley (Seattle Times)

Zags will need all hands on deck again. This is one where if 4-7 guys make solid if not spectacular contributions, the Zags win. Buckets will be at a premium. Finish strong and always be dunking or looking for a kickout to the open man. No lazy passes! No meandering drives into the paint where you get stripped. Less dribbling than last game. And keep Culver in check even if that just means making him work for his 25. And keep a hand in the Italian's face!

Zags 71
    Texas Tech 67
    “We’re not here as a %&#* courtesy!" - Coach Few

There will be no team playing with more confidence than Tech. They have blown everyone out.
    Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.
    Mark Twain.

I gotta be honest - Texas Tech last night didn't impress me; Michigan make them look better by simply not being able to put that ball in the basket. Could that have been due to Tech's #1 rated defense? I'm sure it had some effect, but Michigan had been in a funk already for the last month and it caught up to them here. I was far more worried about the bodies/length that Florida St was throwing at the Zags; I think this is going to to turn into another blow-out a la Xavier in 2017.

75-55

Remember, Texas Tech made Elite 8 last yr, & played Villanova pretty well. This Tech team is vastly better, with improved offense, namely shooters. They have blown every team out this Tourney. Very controlled confident squad. If shots aren't falling, they don't mind, as their defense carries them. They have NBA talent mixed w/experienced guards. I do worry about fatigue a bit compared to their rested guys. How to slow down Culver, his ability to score at the rim is otherworldly.

They will be just a hungry for a Final 4 given last year's result.

I said our defense was key against FSU and it was fantastic. It will be the key in this game as well.

I feel we’re more of an O threat than even the best D can counter. I also feel TTU will under estimate/appreciate Zag D.
    Zags 75
    TTU 55
    http://www.fowlplaces.com/zags/GoZagsTinySignGuyGlassesColor.png

Zags 70-62

Low-scoring and close, but like last night, the outcome will never really be in doubt.

Zags - 66
    U of Texas Tech - 60
    My posts indicate that I don't seem to follow college basketball all that closely.

Just read that Texas Tech practiced after Michigan game last night. Did a 'gonzaga walkthru'. Wow. Coach Beard said he is familiar w/us b/c he is a closet Zags fan & watches us as much as anyone. Interesting.

Here is his take on Rui:

Beard acknowledged that Hachimura will be a challenge.

"We're not going to stop him," Beard said. "That's for sure. We're just going to try to contain and try to pick and choose times and play team defense. He's one of the best players in college basketball. So we don't have anybody on our team that can guard him one-on-one. So we will play team defense as we always do. He's a special player."
    I'm happy to hear his respect and focus on Rui.

He played much better last night vs FSU, yet still lacking 1st Team All American level play. He hit some deep mid range jumpers and played prettt tough defense but still feels like he is settling a bit. I know he has so much more untapped potential, another level he has yet to show us. He has been good in transition and hitting tough shots, but if like to see him in the paint more vs Tech. He has an incredible touch in the paint, like to see him drive to the hoop off post touch or even a true post up. He will likely be double teamed and can find someone for open shot.

When you immediately turn around to face the hoop, it can stagnate the offense or bit or allow the defense to read, anticipate tour next move.

Coach Beard continues:

"I mentioned this [Wednesday], we show our team clips of winning basketball. We show a lot of Gonzaga clips. Their passion, their togetherness, their courage, just how aggressive they are.
    A&M admitted to scouting us earlier this week, before playing Michigan, watched film while Coach Few made a comment about all their focus was on FSU & didn't consider their next opponent. Knowing very little about Tech or Mich besides geeat defenses. Likely just Coach speak, but still, did we scout Mich or Tech before playing FSU? More curious than anything.

https://sportsday.dallasnews.com/col...-eight-matchup

Quote Originally Posted by strikenowhere View Post
    I gotta be honest - Texas Tech last night didn't impress me; Michigan make them look better by simply not being able to put that ball in the basket.

Agree with you on this. If Michigan wasn't so utterly antarcticly cold from the arc, would have been a different game altogether. I would also add, I didn't feel like TT was disrupting those threes all that much... just seemed like there was a lid on the hoop. If the Zags hit from the outside... it will completely open up the paint for Clarke and Rui.

They play lock down D, but i think this Zags team can score against anyone... and dont reference the SMC game... they took the air out of the ball.

I dont see Texas Tech having the scoring prowess to keep up with our guys. Culver, Mooney (kinda), Moretti (kinda), and then there are a lot of suspect scorers. Zags have 6 guys who can beat you every given night.

I'll go with 70-62 Zags.

Quote Originally Posted by raise the zag View Post
    Just read that Texas Tech practiced after Michigan game last night. Did a 'gonzaga walkthru'. Wow. Coach Beard said he is familiar w/us b/c he is a closet Zags fan & watches us as much as anyone. Interesting.

Here is his take on Rui:

I'm happy to hear his respect and focus on Rui.

He played much better last night vs FSU, yet still lacking 1st Team All American level play. He hit some deep mid range jumpers and played prettt tough defense but still feels like he is settling a bit. I know he has so much more untapped potential, another level he has yet to show us. He has been good in transition and hitting tough shots, but if like to see him in the paint more vs Tech. He has an incredible touch in the paint, like to see him drive to the hoop off post touch or even a true post up. He will likely be double teamed and can find someone for open shot.

When you immediately turn around to face the hoop, it can stagnate the offense or bit or allow the defense to read, anticipate tour next move.

Coach Beard continues:

A&M admitted to scouting us earlier this week, before playing Michigan, watched film while Coach Few made a comment about all their focus was on FSU & didn't consider their next opponent. Knowing very little about Tech or Mich besides geeat defenses. Likely just Coach speak, but still, did we scout Mich or Tech before playing FSU? More curious than anything.

https://sportsday.dallasnews.com/col...-eight-matchup
    Coach Beard is a bit of a flim-flam man....such BS....He's auditioning for the UCLA job w all that horseradish, IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by jazzdelmar View Post
    Coach Beard is a bit of a flim-flam man....such BS....He's auditioning for the UCLA job w all that horseradish, IMO.
    I found the whole "Is that who we are playing?" thing utterly obnoxious. It literally was the game that ended right before you took the floor.