Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: GU vs Texas Tech (Elite 8) - Predictions/Thoughts/What you do hope to see

No denying that Texas Tech is good. Let's get real though, Michigan shot 1 for 19 for 3 in that game last night. 1 for 19!! I guarantee you if Michigan made a dreadful 4 for 19, it would have been a much different game. Michigan would not have won, but it would have been a much closer came. If Michigan made their season average and hit 7 three pointers (35% shooting), then they would have had an opportunity to win. Frankly, Michigan was just missing those shots. It really wasn't as a result of Texas Tech's defense.

Common opponents, TT has lost to both of Duke and Baylor this past season. The real head scratcher is the loss to West Virginia though, who was just horrible this past season. WVU is 97th on KenPom.com vs. our worst loss on the season vs St. Mary's who is ranked 30th.

Obviously, TT plays tenacious D and have athlete's in the front court, in particular Owens, who can contest and block shots. They're not a relatively tall or bulky team though, so I like our chances of being able to play our normal inside out type of offensive game.

I'm assuming that we're going to focus effort on Culver to slow him down, but I'm also assuming he's going to get his points one way or the other. Beyond Culver, though, I think we're going to lock these kids down and make it very, very difficult for them to score.

The biggest factor, in my opinion, in Gonzaga's favor is the quick turnaround time. Gonzaga is an extremely difficult offensive team to prepare for. One of the reasons both TT and Michigan were so effective against each other defensively is that they had a scout and 4 or 5 practice/film days to game plan. You've got 48 hours to prep for Gonzaga, good luck!

At the end of the day, I respect Texas Tech. They were the winners of the Big 12, unseating Kansas' historic run. They have had a great season with only 6 losses. They have steamrolled some quality teams in the tournament. With the exception of Duke, though, they haven't played a team as good as Gonzaga all season and when they did, they lost by double digits.

It will be a tough game for the good guys, but I'm confidently picking Gonzaga by 11.

70-59

Zags 77-61

Same grit, less dribbling into trouble, fewer turnovers. Less hero ball.

PS, OOB’s. TTech needs to fall to assure that there’s no Virginia - T Tech, 41-39 game for the championship.

I’m super impressed by Texas Tech. FSU was a good team, top 12 but I have TT a bit higher.

My easiest prediction would be anxiety!

But I’ll take
    Zags 71
    TT 65

Edit to add: I've adjusted way down after doing a little research.
    Last edited by 23dpg; 03-29-2019 at 01:22 PM.

As much credit is given to TTUs defense... what about ours? Ours is no slouch at all and if you look since The UNC loss ours is right there with Virginia and Texas Tech.
    Qualified for 22 Straight Big Dances

11 Straight Round of 32s

10 Sweet Sixteens (5 Straight)

4 Elite Eights

2017 FINAL FOUR

2 Winningest Players in college basketball history (Karnowski 137, Perkins 134)

The Best Point Guard to ever play the game: John Stockton, most assists, most steals.

Quote Originally Posted by gonzagafan62 View Post
    As much credit is given to TTUs defense... what about ours? Ours is no slouch at all and if you look since The UNC loss ours is right there with Virginia and Texas Tech.
    In the end it is #1 O/#16 D vs #31 O/#1 D
    "And Morrison? He did what All-Americans do. He shot daggers in the daylight and stole a win." - Steve Kelley (Seattle Times)

"Gonzaga is a special place, with special people!" - Dan Dickau #21

Foo me once shame on you, Foo me twice shame on me.

2012 Foostrodamus - Foothsayer of Death

Win the boards, win the game...

GU 80
    TT 67

Zags 77-66

Go!! Zags!!!
    Last edited by bigblahla; 03-30-2019 at 08:42 AM.
    "Learn from the past, Plan for the future, Live in the Now!"

Might've said this, but I can't imagine there's a more confident team out there than TT. They have every right to be.

Their fans sure are confident.
    Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.
    Mark Twain.

Zags 68

TT 56

Zags defense wins another march madness game and the zags go back to the Final 4 for the 2nd time in 3 years.
    Love the zags for life

Quote Originally Posted by Zags11 View Post
    Zags 68

TT 56

Zags defense wins another march madness game and the zags go back to the Final 4 for the 2nd time in 3 years.
    Zags 72, TT 65

Quote Originally Posted by thespywhozaggedme View Post
    From a poster on another teams board:

I just have a hard time shaking how terrible their guard play was in the final 8 minutes of their Duke game. Once Duke added a little 3/4 court pressure,

They could barely get the ball across half court and turned it over again and again while choking away a sure win.
    Gonzaga guards had a total of 3 turnovers in the Duke game. 2 from Perkins, 1 on Norvell and 0 from Crandall... 1 more from Kispert if you want to call him a guard. My recollection from that game was that our guards played very, very well.

The reason the game got close was our guys got gassed, starting playing a little sloppy on the defensive side AND our guys started missing lots of free throws.

From a poster on another teams board:

I just have a hard time shaking how terrible their guard play was in the final 8 minutes of their Duke game. Once Duke added a little 3/4 court pressure,

They could barely get the ball across half court and turned it over again and again while choking away a sure win.
    Our guards struggle against aggressive pressure from great athletes - most do.

What Few has figured out is that every player on the court can handle the ball. Thus Rui, Clarke and Tillie make that point irrelevant. FSU's full court pressure did nothing to us. The halfcourt pressure, chasing us around when milking clock bothered us more.

I would have liked to have seen BC and Rui taking it aggressively underneath rather than pulling it out so early when only up 5 or 7, but we weren't getting ANY calls driving to the basket at that point.
    Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.
    Mark Twain.

Quote Originally Posted by TexasZagFan View Post
    Zags 72, TT 65
    Love it!
    Love the zags for life

Quote Originally Posted by Zags11 View Post
    Love it!
    72-65 is a classic college hoops score, first emblazoned into my mind by Texas Western beating Kentucky for the championship.

O/T, a classic scene in the movie "Glory Road" was when Haskins is on the phone while getting his car gassed up. The station attendant was no other than the real "Bear", Don Haskins. I laughed out loud in the theatre, the only person who did. I guess nobody else knew what Haskins looked like.

Quote Originally Posted by TexasZagFan View Post
    72-65 is a classic college hoops score, first emblazoned into my mind by Texas Western beating Kentucky for the championship.

O/T, a classic scene in the movie "Glory Road" was when Haskins is on the phone while getting his car gassed up. The station attendant was no other than the real "Bear", Don Haskins. I laughed out loud in the theatre, the only person who did. I guess nobody else knew what Haskins looked like.
    Lol that's awesome!!
    Love the zags for life

We did not lose to do, we beat them. They are talking about Texas Techs guards. They played Duke in MSG and lost to them.
    Aw, sorry about that. It wasn't clear from your post that you were relaying a message that TT's guards had a hard time with defensive pressure.

Quote Originally Posted by former1dog View Post
    Gonzaga guards had a total of 3 turnovers in the Duke game. 2 from Perkins, 1 on Norvell and 0 from Crandall... 1 more from Kispert if you want to call him a guard. My recollection from that game was that our guards played very, very well.

The reason the game got close was our guys got gassed, starting playing a little sloppy on the defensive side AND our guys started missing lots of free throws.
    Imagine that, getting gassed during the third game in 3 days.

Sorry I wasn’t clear. They are talking about Texas Techs guards and how to beat them. Pressure them and they will turn the ball over.
    Interesting! Perhaps that is why TT lost to a woeful West Virginia team in the Big 12 tourney? Is that their kryptonite? I think we'll find out on Saturday because Gonzaga has been running that 3/4 press all season. Would love to see Jones or Crandall at the top of that press for a good portion of the night if its working.

Coach beard is a snake he would suck Gonzaga’s eyeballs out to get to the final four. Don’t believe any of this crap is passing around. I know Few and company are smart enough not to listen to any of this BS. The man is a disciple of Coach Bobby Knight what else would you expect? He’s just trying to build up his team and undermine Gonzaga.

GU 66
    tech 63

I expect this to be an extremely hard fought game. In the end, I think our offense will be just enough to prevail as long as we keep them under 40% from 3pt land and limit our turnovers to under 15.

Zags - 70
    Texas Tech - 65

ZAGS 75
    Texas Tech 67

Zags gonna win!!

Zags - 71
    TTU - 63
    “When I get a little money I buy books; and if any is left I buy food and clothes.”

~ Desiderius Erasmus

Us 76
    Them 64