Page 22 of 23 FirstFirst ... 12181920212223 LastLast

Thread: GAME THREAD: (3) Texas Tech vs. (1) Gonzaga, Elite 8, March 30, 2019

Quote Originally Posted by MickMick View Post
    Love jones in there. Calm smart player
    Likewise. Goodbye to a fine senior player. I wish him the very best in the rest of his life.

Quote Originally Posted by Gonzdb8 View Post
    we have the lead despite some mistakes. a couple less boneheaded turnovers and couple more of those open 3s drop and we're up by 10 at the half. we're going to clean up the mistakes in the 2nd half and win this by double digits. go zags!
    well this post did not age well.

Quote Originally Posted by john montana View Post
    Sad thing is we are a better team, and it isnít close. They hacked the living #### out of us, and we fell apart. Couple that with clearly terrible refs and we get bounced. Just a disaster. I have no respect for TT and that ymca garbage. Few will have more class than me. Zero chance I could say nice things after having a final four taken from us by refs too cowardly to call someone for grabbing a guyís arm.
    +1

I think we need Norvellís green light revoked.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by SorenTodd45 View Post
    Stupidest post I have ever seen in any basketball forum. Without Josh, we are not where we are today.
    True - very true

Quote Originally Posted by MickMick View Post
    No ball handlers next year.
    You clearly have not seen Brock Ravet play.

Quote Originally Posted by Gonzdb8 View Post
    well this post did not age well.
    Unfortunately. I think we all had wishful thinking!

Zag Shop (Thrift Shop Parody)

Gonzaga sind die besten! Gehe Zags!

Team showed so much heart at end when it appeared the game was totally over. What grit. I feel terrible for Josh for that foul at the end. What an unusual situation, but it's something I could see happening to a number of players. Surprised it doesn't happen more often.

That's all she wrote. You cannot turn the ball over like that and win against great competition at this level. So much of it was self induced, but I also feel self induced TO's relate to fear of the defense.

Hitting a bunch of three's would've helped Gonzaga to combat the TO's, but Tech took them away.

Feel terrible for the seniors. But all along I had concerns about Josh as Gonzaga's PG at THIS level of tournament. Again, it's why 3 major basketball analysts picked Tech and Michigan to get out of this region. He's never had a good handle, and is not fast enough to get by in your grill defenders like Mooney. That'll change when Dom Harris gets here in 2020. He finished as GU's all-time assist leader, but that isn't ALL that goes into making a national championship caliber PG. Even with Josh being GU's all-time assist leader, I still feel his best season was in 2017 when he worked with Nigel as the primary ball handler.

An end of an era for Gonzaga basketball. Good chance we don't make the dance one of the next 2 seasons. The loss of Rui and Clarke to the draft is gonna hurt. And Few has to sell a grad transfer PG to come to Spokane despite the fact that the team will be super young. Will be tough. I realize there are other roster choices, but they are not good enough, and the team probably needs experience at the PG spot due to all the youth that will be on he team.

Major credit to TT and Coach Chris Beard, who I felt went into this game with a major coaching disadvantage (not because he isn't a great coach, but due to NCAA tourney inexperience). He did an amazing job turning his team's offense around. They were in the 90's at kenpom.com most of the year. Now they are final four good, although I will be the first guy to admit that some of those threes his fellows hit were so well contested.

Now on to the Jack Daniels. This loss sucks.

Quote Originally Posted by rawkmandale View Post
    You clearly have not seen Brock Ravet play.
    Or how GU develops players. We've been extremely spoiled with Josh.

Quote Originally Posted by 23dpg View Post
    Tech played better. We were way too sloppy with the ball.

Damn, Iím bummed but what can you do?
    Congrats TT.
    Agreed.

What a game!!! I know it didnít go your way. This is our first Final Four ever. Iím super excited. I thought the Zags were going to win after that first half. We werenít playing our normal game.

Congrats on a great season!!!

Brock is going to be a great Zag, but with the amount of youth that will be on next year's team, I think Few is going to opt for a grad transfer. You also want Brock playing off the ball some of time with that great jumper he has.

Quote Originally Posted by spadefreek View Post
    What a game!!! I know it didn’t go your way. This is our first Final Four ever. I’m super excited. I thought the Zags were going to win after that first half. We weren’t playing our normal game.

Congrats on a great season!!!
    Congrats to the Red Raiders.

Quote Originally Posted by CDC84 View Post
    Team showed so much heart at end when it appeared the game was totally over. What grit. I feel terrible for Josh for that foul at the end. What an unusual situation, but it's something I could see happening to a number of players. Surprised it doesn't happen more often.

That's all she wrote. You cannot turn the ball over like that and win against great competition at this level. So much of it was self induced, but I also feel self induced TO's relate to fear of the defense.

Hitting a bunch of three's would've helped Gonzaga to combat the TO's, but Tech took them away.

Feel terrible for the seniors. But all along I had concerns about Josh as Gonzaga's PG at THIS level of tournament. Again, it's why 3 major basketball analysts picked Tech and Michigan to get out of this region. He's never had a good handle, and is not fast enough to get by in your grill defenders like Mooney. That'll change when Dom Harris gets here in 2020. He finished as GU's all-time assist leader, but that isn't ALL that goes into making a national championship caliber PG. Even with Josh being GU's all-time assist leader, I still feel his best season was in 2017 when he worked with Nigel as the primary ball handler.

An end of an era for Gonzaga basketball. Good chance we don't make the dance one of the next 2 seasons. The loss of Rui and Clarke to the draft is gonna hurt. And Few has to sell a grad transfer PG to come to Spokane despite the fact that the team will be super young. Will be tough. I realize there are other roster choices, but they are not good enough, and the team probably needs experience at the PG spot due to all the youth that will be on he team.

Major credit to TT and Coach Chris Beard, who I felt went into this game with a major coaching disadvantage (not because he isn't a great coach, but due to NCAA tourney inexperience). He did an amazing job turning his team's offense around. They were in the 90's at kenpom.com most of the year. Now they are final four good, although I will be the first guy to admit that some of those threes his fellows hit were so well contested.

It does sting. Good analysis.

Whiskey is always a good choice after a game like this, but I will stick to wine for a couple of hours. You know, I am not so certain that our juniors will leave. This is a family. There is no family at the NBA level. Even if they do, Gonzaga is not going to fall off the edge of the table. You can thank the community, the administration, the coaching staff, and the returning players.

I don't post here much but my observations are that we just are not tough enough when it counts. Also, even though Clark, Hachimura, and Tilly are good - they are not great. They don't seem ready for the NBA or European ball in my opinion and they should consider finishing up their eligibility with the Bulldogs. Another year ball handling experience and seasoning would help their cause. They all need more offensive moves to play professionally. It was a good season, I didn't miss a game and I enjoyed watching them.

Quote Originally Posted by v13311 View Post
    I don't post here much but my observations are that we just are not tough enough when it counts. Also, even though Clark, Hachimura, and Tilly are good - they are not great. They don't seem ready for the NBA or European ball in my opinion and they should consider finishing up their eligibility with the Bulldogs. Another year ball handling experience and seasoning would help their cause. They all need more offensive moves to play professionally. It was a good season, I didn't miss a game and I enjoyed watching them.
    I really wonder what you would call great?

Hard to win with 16 turnovers. Zags just couldn't play their game consistently. In terms of appearances, yes Gonzaga is impressive. But this game required a game plan in the 2nd half. I just wish Few could adjust more to situations, maybe he had laid it out and it just wasnt executed. Texas Tech was a tough match up. Overall, the turnovers and being outcoached was the difference.

I am 98% positive Rui is done. Both he and Few have talked publicly about the three year plan. Normally when you go public with that discussion, it's going to happen. I also think someone is almost guaranteed to take him in or around the lottery.

Clarke could use another year at GU, but due to the NBA's nonsensical obsession with player age (you have no guarantees of having a player more than three years after you pick him - so take the best player. Only so many Kobes play for the same team their whole career). Also, I disagree with a poster above. Clarke is a beast and the most mentally tough player Gonzaga has had maybe since Casey (Rui? I do have concerns at times). What might help him is yet another year to work on a consistent, 14 foot jumper. It just seems so necessary for him at the next level due to him being 6-8 or 6-9. But the problem with BC is this. Do you really want him taking 14 foot jumpers at Gonzaga when he is so dominant down low against most teams??

But I just expect both dudes to leave. Tillie is probably going to have to come back to show the scouts he can stay healthy for an entire year, and to show what he can do as a go to option.

Zach has to develop a mid range game, and to continue to improve his shot selection. He just takes too many shots from deep that are out of rhythm, that are too early in the shot clock, and are not within the flow of the offense. Also needs a floater for fast freaks to prevent charging calls. Made monumental improvements last season as a defender. Still say he will be a NBA player one day. He has the size for a shooting guard and his ability to hit tough, contested shots will help counteract some athleticism concerns (although he is more athletic than folks think). But it's going to be 1-2 more years with him for sure.

Would love to see Rui and Clarke back for sure. Would make it easier to land a super elite PG grad transfer for sure.

Excellent overview of the situation.
    Rui needs to get stronger.
    Clarke needs to work on basic post moves and footwork... it would benefit him to return, but this is unlikely.
    You hit it right on the money with Norvell.
    Tillie absolutely needs to return.
    The next class coming in is a good one.
    It isnt the talent that the Zags get that ever worries me.. it is the game plan strategy in the tournament. Few is a good coach, he needs to change some stuff up in order to be great.

Why should Tillie return ? Few banished him to the bench today when he could have contributed.

I think he heads to Europe and gets paid. Why risk another injury playing for peanuts ??

Not trying to make excuses, but about 25 minutes into the game, Few was in the face of that African American official. He was more pissed than I have seen him in 10 years, easily. Probably the only reason he didn't get a T is because his father told him never to cuss. There was probably a lot of chucking of cutters and hand slapping. Few has been a big proponent of trying to rid college basketball of that kind of defense. It's not about toughness. It's about obeying the rule book and points of emphasis.

Poor excuse. Zags needed to be tougher, they dont get that ki d of play in the WCC. There needs to be less rules and regs in college basketball, the WCC refs should not be the model for the whole country.

Quote Originally Posted by RenoZag View Post
    Why should Tillie return ? Few banished him to the bench today when he could have contributed.

I think he heads to Europe and gets paid. Why risk another injury playing for peanuts ??
    GU degree is not worthless.

Not trying to make excuses, but about 25 minutes into the game, Few was in the face of that African American official. He was more pissed than I have seen him in 10 years, easily. Probably the only reason he didn't get a T is because his father told him never to cuss. There was probably a lot of chucking of cutters and hand slapping. Few has been a big proponent of trying to rid college basketball of that kind of defense. It's not about toughness. It's about obeying the rule book and points of emphasis.
    Yup. There's a reason GU only made 3 shots in 12 minutes and it wasn't because of Tech's defense. It was because Tech was allowed to bump, hack, slash, slap and reach in with no consequences. Even I could have guarded Rui and Clarke if I was allowed to do that.

Did Gonzaga play their best? No. Did they have some bad turnovers and miss some shots they should have made? Yes. Did the refs have a huge effect on Gonzaga trying to run their offense the last 15 or so minutes of the game? Absolutely.