Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 51 to 75 of 95

Thread: E8: Who Do We Want? Do We Care?

  1. #51
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    17,870

    Default

    Hope we cover Vilarino 2.0.

  2. #52
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    1,015

    Default Michigan or Texas Tech...???

    I believe whichever team controls the line-of-scrimmage and runs the ball the best will win time-of-possession and ultimately the game!!!
    It's What You learn AFTER You Know It All That Counts

  3. #53
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    New Jersey
    Posts
    1,328

    Default

    Question - what kinds of defenses do Michigan & Texas Tech run? I know that Belein likes to run the 1-3-1 a lot still, right? It looks like they are doing a lot of man-to-man action tonight.

    As for Texas Tech, what do they do? It is just really tough man defense? I can't really tell otherwise.

  4. #54
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    4,964

    Default

    FiveThirtyEight gives both teams a 20% chance to beat the Zags (that's odds prior to any games played today). Actually worse odds for both of them than FSU had. Interesting.

  5. #55
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    17,870

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by caduceus View Post
    FiveThirtyEight gives both teams a 20% chance to beat the Zags (that's odds prior to any games played today). Actually worse odds for both of them than FSU had. Interesting.
    What you doing here, Deuce? U should be out recruiting

  6. #56
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    18,492

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by strikenowhere View Post
    Question - what kinds of defenses do Michigan & Texas Tech run? I know that Belein likes to run the 1-3-1 a lot still, right? It looks like they are doing a lot of man-to-man action tonight.

    As for Texas Tech, what do they do? It is just really tough man defense? I can't really tell otherwise.
    Looks like a Cover 2 to me, dropping linebackers deep on down/distance, try to keep the ball in front of them.
    Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.
    Mark Twain.

  7. #57
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Edmonds, WA
    Posts
    36

    Default

    No. All comers. Always.

  8. #58
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    4,964

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by jazzdelmar View Post
    What you doing here, Deuce? U should be out recruiting
    Enjoying the win, my friend.

  9. #59
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    7,300

    Default

    I am under the impression that Few pretty much owns the Big 12 ?

  10. #60
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    17,870

    Default

    How sweet is tom’w? Zags in the E8 already and some great gms to watch. Go Buzz.

  11. #61
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Hilton Head (Bluffton), SC
    Posts
    4,917

    Default

    Both of these teams use as much clock as possible on offence and get back on "D" to prevent uptempo...

    These teams remind me of our game vs SMC in the WCC Finals...we beat SMC if we just make shots and don't turn the ball over...

    Both TT and UM have better athletes than SMC so that will be a different challenge...

    I don't think UM can match-up with BC and Rui BUT I think we can match up with their bigs. TT has a solid Pro who can score it seems at will and as others have commented, play excellent "D"...

    I'm sure that Coach Few and his Staff have already game planned for either team and will have the Zags ready...

    GO ZAGS

  12. #62
    Join Date
    Dec 2017
    Posts
    641

    Default

    Texas tech taking over. If they win it's the old saying defence travels. Michigan has struggled to score this season. Hopefully the Zags can prove offensive travels too.

    Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

  13. #63
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    3,527

    Default

    Does tech run zone or some pack it in man?

    Can't tell

  14. #64
    Join Date
    Dec 2017
    Posts
    641

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by raise the zag View Post
    Does tech run zone or some pack it in man?

    Can't tell
    I believe it's a matchup zone. Kind of swapping from man to zone as the shot clock winds down

    Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

  15. #65
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    2,745

    Default

    This game is over. Texas Tech's D looks insane, unless Michigan just sucks tonight. (TT's defensive rating suggests they really are that good.) Another battle awaits the Zags. We won't be out-toughed but these guys have quick hands so you better be strong with the ball. I fear the refs will call the game with TT's toughness and rep in mind, that is, letting them get away with everything while the Zags get called for ticky tack ####. We've seen it before.
    “We’re not here as a %&#* courtesy!" - Coach Few

  16. #66
    Join Date
    Dec 2017
    Posts
    641

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by FuManShoes View Post
    This game is over. Texas Tech's D looks insane, unless Michigan just sucks tonight. (TT's defensive rating suggests they really are that good.) Another battle awaits the Zags. We won't be out-toughed but these guys have quick hands so you better be strong with the ball. I fear the refs will call the game with TT's toughness and rep in mind, that is, letting them get away with everything while the Zags get called for ticky tack ####. We've seen it before.
    Just my off the wall reasoning. Kind of the power 5 influence. I'm sure these refs want to keep their jobs calling p-5 games. I'm sure there's a list of refs available to replace those who can't uphold the "standards" expected of elite conference officiating.

    Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

  17. #67
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Bainbridge
    Posts
    740

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by thespywhozaggedme View Post
    I think some here are trying too hard to defend this game as "great defense" when in all honesty it's really just wretched offense.
    Am inclined to agree.

  18. #68

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by thespywhozaggedme View Post
    I think some here are trying too hard to defend this game as "great defense" when in all honesty it's really just wretched offense.
    Looks like it's a great deal of both.

  19. #69
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    3,527

    Default

    I see why Culver averages 19, 7, & 4.

    Terrence Mann is a poor mans Jarrett Culver

  20. #70
    Join Date
    Dec 2015
    Posts
    2,030

    Default

    Hey, just realized that if it’s Texas Tech, it’ll be Kempom #1 Defense, them, against Kenpom #1 Offense, us.

    So bring T Tech on. Great story line. And Zags better on D now, witness FSU defensive effort.

  21. #71
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    3,527

    Default

    Is Tech longer and bigger than anyone realized?

    Scary length and aggressive scorers.

  22. #72
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    2,074

    Default

    Bummer. I was hoping for an exciting game. More grind ball to come.

    Survive and advance.

  23. #73
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    13,326

    Default

    Few is going to have a major coaching advantage if they play TT. He's just been there too many times. The offensive disparity between GU and TT is at 11.9 at Pomeroy. With the way Gonzaga is playing defense right now.....I don't know what magic potion TT drank, but their offense was AWFUL most of this season until the last 3 or so weeks. Yes, part of it is Culver, a future lottery pick. But believe me, Few would much rather face Chris Beard than John Beilein on short notice. This is a dude that was coaching at Little Rock until 2016/17.

  24. #74
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    3,527

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by CDC84 View Post
    Few is going to have a major coaching advantage if they play TT. He's just been there too many times. The offensive disparity between GU and TT is at 11.9 at Pomeroy. With the way Gonzaga is playing defense right now.....I don't know what magic potion TT drank, but their offense was AWFUL most of this season until the last 3 or so weeks. Yes, part of it is Culver, a future lottery pick. But believe, Few would much rather face Chris Beard than John Beilein on short notice.
    All 3 talking heads said Chris Beard and Tech had the most impressive, focused, fun practice they be ever seen. They attended the Zags practice as well.

    I realize its just practice yet Beard is the real deal.

    Back to back Elite 8's

  25. #75
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    13,326

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by thespywhozaggedme View Post
    Culver is the lottery pick that no one knows.
    I've been singing his praises all season. Because for 67% of TT's season, he was only offense they had. I don't think people realize that TT's offense was 90's and 100's most of the season. They have just gone thru this magical turnaround in the past 3-4 weeks or so.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •