Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: E8: Who Do We Want? Do We Care?

Hope we cover Vilarino 2.0.

Default Michigan or Texas Tech...???

I believe whichever team controls the line-of-scrimmage and runs the ball the best will win time-of-possession and ultimately the game!!!
    It's What You learn AFTER You Know It All That Counts

Question - what kinds of defenses do Michigan & Texas Tech run? I know that Belein likes to run the 1-3-1 a lot still, right? It looks like they are doing a lot of man-to-man action tonight.

As for Texas Tech, what do they do? It is just really tough man defense? I can't really tell otherwise.

FiveThirtyEight gives both teams a 20% chance to beat the Zags (that's odds prior to any games played today). Actually worse odds for both of them than FSU had. Interesting.

Quote Originally Posted by caduceus View Post
    FiveThirtyEight gives both teams a 20% chance to beat the Zags (that's odds prior to any games played today). Actually worse odds for both of them than FSU had. Interesting.
    What you doing here, Deuce? U should be out recruiting

Quote Originally Posted by strikenowhere View Post
    Question - what kinds of defenses do Michigan & Texas Tech run? I know that Belein likes to run the 1-3-1 a lot still, right? It looks like they are doing a lot of man-to-man action tonight.

As for Texas Tech, what do they do? It is just really tough man defense? I can't really tell otherwise.
    Looks like a Cover 2 to me, dropping linebackers deep on down/distance, try to keep the ball in front of them.
    Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.
    Mark Twain.

No. All comers. Always.

Quote Originally Posted by jazzdelmar View Post
    What you doing here, Deuce? U should be out recruiting
    Enjoying the win, my friend.

I am under the impression that Few pretty much owns the Big 12 ?

How sweet is tom’w? Zags in the E8 already and some great gms to watch. Go Buzz.

Both of these teams use as much clock as possible on offence and get back on "D" to prevent uptempo...

These teams remind me of our game vs SMC in the WCC Finals...we beat SMC if we just make shots and don't turn the ball over...

Both TT and UM have better athletes than SMC so that will be a different challenge...

I don't think UM can match-up with BC and Rui BUT I think we can match up with their bigs. TT has a solid Pro who can score it seems at will and as others have commented, play excellent "D"...

I'm sure that Coach Few and his Staff have already game planned for either team and will have the Zags ready...

GO ZAGS

Texas tech taking over. If they win it's the old saying defence travels. Michigan has struggled to score this season. Hopefully the Zags can prove offensive travels too.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Does tech run zone or some pack it in man?

Can't tell

Quote Originally Posted by raise the zag View Post
    Does tech run zone or some pack it in man?

Can't tell
    I believe it's a matchup zone. Kind of swapping from man to zone as the shot clock winds down

This game is over. Texas Tech's D looks insane, unless Michigan just sucks tonight. (TT's defensive rating suggests they really are that good.) Another battle awaits the Zags. We won't be out-toughed but these guys have quick hands so you better be strong with the ball. I fear the refs will call the game with TT's toughness and rep in mind, that is, letting them get away with everything while the Zags get called for ticky tack ####. We've seen it before.
    “We’re not here as a %&#* courtesy!" - Coach Few

Quote Originally Posted by FuManShoes View Post
    This game is over. Texas Tech's D looks insane, unless Michigan just sucks tonight. (TT's defensive rating suggests they really are that good.) Another battle awaits the Zags. We won't be out-toughed but these guys have quick hands so you better be strong with the ball. I fear the refs will call the game with TT's toughness and rep in mind, that is, letting them get away with everything while the Zags get called for ticky tack ####. We've seen it before.
    Just my off the wall reasoning. Kind of the power 5 influence. I'm sure these refs want to keep their jobs calling p-5 games. I'm sure there's a list of refs available to replace those who can't uphold the "standards" expected of elite conference officiating.

Quote Originally Posted by thespywhozaggedme View Post
    I think some here are trying too hard to defend this game as "great defense" when in all honesty it's really just wretched offense.
    Am inclined to agree.

I think some here are trying too hard to defend this game as "great defense" when in all honesty it's really just wretched offense.
    Looks like it's a great deal of both.

I see why Culver averages 19, 7, & 4.

Terrence Mann is a poor mans Jarrett Culver

Hey, just realized that if it’s Texas Tech, it’ll be Kempom #1 Defense, them, against Kenpom #1 Offense, us.

So bring T Tech on. Great story line. And Zags better on D now, witness FSU defensive effort.

Is Tech longer and bigger than anyone realized?

Scary length and aggressive scorers.

Bummer. I was hoping for an exciting game. More grind ball to come.

Survive and advance.

Few is going to have a major coaching advantage if they play TT. He's just been there too many times. The offensive disparity between GU and TT is at 11.9 at Pomeroy. With the way Gonzaga is playing defense right now.....I don't know what magic potion TT drank, but their offense was AWFUL most of this season until the last 3 or so weeks. Yes, part of it is Culver, a future lottery pick. But believe me, Few would much rather face Chris Beard than John Beilein on short notice. This is a dude that was coaching at Little Rock until 2016/17.

Quote Originally Posted by CDC84 View Post
    Few is going to have a major coaching advantage if they play TT. He's just been there too many times. The offensive disparity between GU and TT is at 11.9 at Pomeroy. With the way Gonzaga is playing defense right now.....I don't know what magic potion TT drank, but their offense was AWFUL most of this season until the last 3 or so weeks. Yes, part of it is Culver, a future lottery pick. But believe, Few would much rather face Chris Beard than John Beilein on short notice.
    All 3 talking heads said Chris Beard and Tech had the most impressive, focused, fun practice they be ever seen. They attended the Zags practice as well.

I realize its just practice yet Beard is the real deal.

Back to back Elite 8's

Culver is the lottery pick that no one knows.
    I've been singing his praises all season. Because for 67% of TT's season, he was only offense they had. I don't think people realize that TT's offense was 90's and 100's most of the season. They have just gone thru this magical turnaround in the past 3-4 weeks or so.