Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
Results 76 to 100 of 100

Thread: Kyle to Wazzu

  1. #76
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    6,872

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by zaguarxj View Post
    My daughter walks to work in SF every day. Not sure what you think the big deal is. SF also has excellent public transportation, so my daughter doesn't even own a car.
    SF has some wonderful neighborhoods and bedroom communities....the City is one of the 20 fasted going cities in the Country. Even though Carol Doda has retired it still has some marvelous attractions....you go a couple blocks into Chinatown and you will think you are in Shanghai..... the homeless problem is concentrated and easy to avoid...and impossible to solve …

    I was offered a job there with a substantial increase in income..... but I couldn't afford to take it..... Eastern Washington including Pullman is where I want to be with unlimited uncrowded outdoor recreation on public lands...

  2. #77

    Default

    Comparing life in Pullman, WA to life in San Francisco is completely nonsensical. There are people from eastern Washington who would never conceive of living in San Francisco and vice versa. It's like comparing apples to elephants.

    I have been to Eastern Washington. It's quite beautiful. Nice people. Clean air. Great outdoor activities. But SF has art, restaurants, theater, music, etc. And, trust me, us natives complain about everything you have heard.

    And my house has tripled in value in 10 years. So there's that. Thank you Uber, Twitter, Genentech, Facebook and all the other companies whose employees will pay just about anything for a piece of SF.

  3. #78
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Utsalady Bay
    Posts
    5,062

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by bartruff1 View Post
    Carol Doda has retired it still has some marvelous attractions....
    Bart, not only has she retired, she's passed away.
    You have to love the Gonzaga fan. Not satisfied to be affronted merely by common hosings at the hands of ragtag referees, he plows all avenues of discontent. - John Blanchette

    Gonzaga University...Home of the Zags...The Bulldogs. If you pronounce it "Gone Zaw Ga," they'll know you're not from here and they may charge you more for your coffee. - Garrison Keillor

  4. #79
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    6,872

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Angelo Roncalli View Post
    Bart, not only has she retired, she's passed away.
    I'll need a moment.....

  5. #80
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    15,621

  6. #81
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    10,575

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by maynard g krebs View Post
    Thanks, Dix, for the rational, restrained response to OT inanity. You almost dissuaded me from pointing out spy's inability to distinguish "you're" from "your." But not quite.

    Mods, I would suggest that spy's irrelevant and offensive posts in this thread venture into the territory of the defunct politics board, as it is VERY obviously driven by his hatred of all things progressive.

    On topic, I agree this should be the closest thing to a home run hire WSU could muster, which imo is a guy that has a reasonable chance at modest success there. Key will be to get some Euro/Aussie types and find high IQ, second tier system guys in the US who can develop and play as a team, as the Bennetts did.

    As to the WCC, it's always gonna be that way. A stepping stone for hot young coaches, or a rest home for retreads (Santa Clara, LMU currently). Few and Bennett are outliers.
    I do voice texting for all of my posts, I pretty much do it for everything. I’m extremely lazy. If I hated all things “progressive” why would I post a link to NPR? Plus as I mentioned the mayor and all the city supervisors are directly quoted in that article. The cool thing about facts as they don’t care about our feelings and they are not political.

  7. #82

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by thespywhozaggedme View Post
    I do voice texting for all of my posts, I pretty much do it for everything. I’m extremely lazy. If I hated all things “progressive” why would I post a link to NPR? Plus as I mentioned the mayor and all the city supervisors are directly quoted in that article. The cool thing about facts as they don’t care about our feelings and they are not political.
    Here's the thing Spy. It is clear to everyone else except for you, that you have an agenda when posting about the cleanliness of the city. I'm sure if you spent 3 minutes on google, you can find an article about any major city in the US citing its cleanliness issues. I'm sure if you spent an additional 2 minutes, you can find a quote from city officials discussing that problem and agreeing that they need to find a way to clean it up. I could care less about your political stance or anyone else's on this site, but it's hilarious to me that you can't see that you had an agenda from the get go. What I can promise you, is that if you ask Kyle Smith on why he chose to leave USF and go to WSU, the cleanliness of San Francisco is going to be so far down his list of reasons that it will boggle your mind.

  8. #83
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    10,575

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Bouldin4Prez View Post
    Here's the thing Spy. It is clear to everyone else except for you, that you have an agenda when posting about the cleanliness of the city. I'm sure if you spent 3 minutes on google, you can find an article about any major city in the US citing its cleanliness issues. I'm sure if you spent an additional 2 minutes, you can find a quote from city officials discussing that problem and agreeing that they need to find a way to clean it up. I could care less about your political stance or anyone else's on this site, but it's hilarious to me that you can't see that you had an agenda from the get go. What I can promise you, is that if you ask Kyle Smith on why he chose to leave USF and go to WSU, the cleanliness of San Francisco is going to be so far down his list of reasons that it will boggle your mind.
    Facts do not care about your feelings, nor mine for that matter. Millions of people absolutely love San Francisco, that is their right.

  9. #84
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Lacrosse, Washington
    Posts
    6,556

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by DonJuan View Post
    Comparing life in Pullman, WA to life in San Francisco is completely nonsensical. There are people from eastern Washington who would never conceive of living in San Francisco and vice versa. It's like comparing apples to elephants.

    I have been to Eastern Washington. It's quite beautiful. Nice people. Clean air. Great outdoor activities. But SF has art, restaurants, theater, music, etc. And, trust me, us natives complain about everything you have heard.

    And my house has tripled in value in 10 years. So there's that. Thank you Uber, Twitter, Genentech, Facebook and all the other companies whose employees will pay just about anything for a piece of SF.
    Eastern Washington doesn’t have theatres. Art music and restaurant?
    Basketball...The Toy Department of Life

    Don't mess wth happy...Coach Few

  10. #85
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Spokane
    Posts
    2,864

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by jazzdelmar View Post
    Thank you for posting this! I was not familiar with her story.

  11. #86
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Colville, Wa.
    Posts
    13,487

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by bartruff1 View Post
    I'll need a moment.....
    This ain't rocket surgery!

  12. #87
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Down the street and around the corner
    Posts
    44,775

    Default

    John Blanchette weighs in on the Smith hiring in this column: http://www.spokesman.com/stories/201...ing-of-kyle-s/

    Let’s state that a bit more directly: This marriage is a bigger risk for Smith than it is for Wazzu.

    If his stay at the University of San Francisco had continued on its current arc, Smith would have been wooed and won by someone eventually. There is no suggestion here that he was at a career crossroads or that the Cougs were his last exit to Majorville – though, yes, 49 can be an itchy age when presented with an opportunity.

    But, of course, fans are forever convinced that their school is the one taking the gamble, and rarely can bring themselves to unequivocally signal home run.

  13. #88
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    10,575

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by rawkmandale View Post
    Thank you for posting this! I was not familiar with her story.
    I wasn’t either and have never heard of her. It is heartbreaking that she had two children and never had a relationship with them. That must’ve caused a ton of heartache and pain in her life.

  14. #89
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    10,575

    Default

    Apparently Kyle Smith was the third choice as Leon rice and Travis Dequire both turned down the job down. You know the PAC 12 is down when coaches are choosing to stay at Montana and Boise State over a PAC 12 school.

  15. #90
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    179

    Default

    USF assistant (and former St. Mary’s player) Todd Golden confirmed as new USF head coach.

    https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.sfc...g-13721959.php

  16. #91
    Join Date
    Jun 2017
    Posts
    313

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by sideshow06 View Post
    USF assistant (and former St. Mary’s player) Todd Golden confirmed as new USF head coach.

    https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.sfc...g-13721959.php
    Most interesting thing in that article was Smith is the first coach to leave a WCC school for a different head coaching job since 2001, everyone else retired or was fired.

  17. #92
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    6,872

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by rawkmandale View Post
    Thank you for posting this! I was not familiar with her story.
    She was a pioneer in the women movement(s) ….. with style and grace she revolutionized the club entertainment scene....

    As you can imagine..... she had a very difficult time maintaining her balance....had to walk leaning backwards ….and unfortunately walking to work one day...she slipped on some human feces left by a homeless person...... and fell to her death...….. where little cable cars climb halfway to the stars...

  18. #93
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    179

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by bdmiller7 View Post
    Most interesting thing in that article was Smith is the first coach to leave a WCC school for a different head coaching job since 2001, everyone else retired or was fired.
    Or was actually good and stayed... as in Few and Bennett.

  19. #94
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    5,806

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by thespywhozaggedme View Post
    Apparently Kyle Smith was the third choice as Leon rice and Travis Dequire both turned down the job down. You know the PAC 12 is down when coaches are choosing to stay at Montana and Boise State over a PAC 12 school.
    Yeah, the pac is down, but the thing about WSU is that it's the hardest place to win in the conference. They can't recruit with the conference's top programs; it is always an uphill battle there. And when they are on the verge of the occasional upset win v a potential tourney team, the refs make sure it doesn't happen. Near word for word quote from former UCLA star Marques Johnson a few years ago when doing commentary on a UCLA-WSU game in Pullman in one near upset: "UCLA the beneficiary of what I'll only describe as some curious calls".

    They had the Huskies beat in Pullman this year, a loss that would have probably taken UW off the bubble, and lost 72-70 when every call went against them late.

    So many built in disadvantages in that job; it's usually a coaching graveyard, with rare exceptions like the Bennetts. At Montana and Boise, you are on a level playing field w/ your conference. At WSU, finishing in the top half deserves coach of the year.

  20. #95
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    10,575

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by maynard g krebs View Post
    Yeah, the pac is down, but the thing about WSU is that it's the hardest place to win in the conference. They can't recruit with the conference's top programs; it is always an uphill battle there. And when they are on the verge of the occasional upset win v a potential tourney team, the refs make sure it doesn't happen. Near word for word quote from former UCLA star Marques Johnson a few years ago when doing commentary on a UCLA-WSU game in Pullman in one near upset: "UCLA the beneficiary of what I'll only describe as some curious calls".

    They had the Huskies beat in Pullman this year, a loss that would have probably taken UW off the bubble, and lost 72-70 when every call went against them late.

    So many built in disadvantages in that job; it's usually a coaching graveyard, with rare exceptions like the Bennetts. At Montana and Boise, you are on a level playing field w/ your conference. At WSU, finishing in the top half deserves coach of the year.
    Agreed

  21. #96
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Colville, Wa.
    Posts
    13,487

    Default

    IIRC the Bennett's game plan was to recruit a core of talented (but perhaps overlooked) HS Srs.

    Dad gave them heavy minutes on the floor their 1st 2 years & got their brains beat out (one was a near 40 point blowout in the old Kennel).

    Dad turns the reins over to Tony & a seasoned club makes 2 Sweet 16's (I think Rochestie transferred in there at some point).

    Kyle has a 6 yr. contract, so perhaps he has leash enough to try something similar.
    This ain't rocket surgery!

  22. #97
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    2,064

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by sittingon50 View Post
    IIRC the Bennett's game plan was to recruit a core of talented (but perhaps overlooked) HS Srs.

    Dad gave them heavy minutes on the floor their 1st 2 years & got their brains beat out (one was a near 40 point blowout in the old Kennel).

    Dad turns the reins over to Tony & a seasoned club makes 2 Sweet 16's (I think Rochestie transferred in there at some point).

    Kyle has a 6 yr. contract, so perhaps he has leash enough to try something similar.
    I think they went 1-1 in the first tourney and made the Sweet 16 when Lowe, Weaver and Cowgill we’re Seniors. I did enjoy watching them destroy Notre Dame and Luke Harrangady? in the 4-5 matchup. Then they lost to UNC by about 20.

  23. #98
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    5,806

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by seacatfan View Post
    How would you categorize the current Pepperdine coach?
    I actually think Romar is gonna do well at Pepperdine. He and Bone built Washington together; they complement each other well imo, and Romar's troubles seemed to coincide w/ Bone's departure. I used to go to SPU games when Bone coached there. His teams were really fun to watch. The Oregon transfers were probably a bit overrated and w/ some injuries, but still top 100 recruits and should help at WCC level, and they have a terrific pg. Forgot about Romar when I posted; Sendek and the LMU guy (drawing a blank at the moment) were who came to mind.

  24. #99
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Posts
    9,337

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by maynard g krebs View Post
    I actually think Romar is gonna do well at Pepperdine. He and Bone built Washington together; they complement each other well imo, and Romar's troubles seemed to coincide w/ Bone's departure. I used to go to SPU games when Bone coached there. His teams were really fun to watch. The Oregon transfers were probably a bit overrated and w/ some injuries, but still top 100 recruits and should help at WCC level, and they have a terrific pg. Forgot about Romar when I posted; Sendek and the LMU guy (drawing a blank at the moment) were who came to mind.
    Yeah Romar and Bone had a good thing going for a while at UW. I thought it was possible a return to Pepperdine could work out well for LoRo. Too soon to make a judgement about that.

    Herbie has been somewhat mediocre during his career but got teams to the Tourney semi regularly. Being mediocre in the WCC won't get you there.

    Dunlap is the LMU coach. He's supposedly got a good reputation but I haven't really seen much out of him. He had a really good run at Metro St. apparently (D2 or D3?).

    Pacific and Portland both went w/ splashy hires of former NBA players but neither are trending upward in 3 years so far.

    I don't know, what can you do? Gonzaga owns the WCC. SMC is most likely gonna be #2 most years, and then you've got BYU. Everybody else is fighting among themselves to try to claw their way up in the standings.

  25. #100
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    632

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by seacatfan View Post
    Yeah Romar and Bone had a good thing going for a while at UW. I thought it was possible a return to Pepperdine could work out well for LoRo. Too soon to make a judgement about that.

    Herbie has been somewhat mediocre during his career but got teams to the Tourney semi regularly. Being mediocre in the WCC won't get you there.

    Dunlap is the LMU coach. He's supposedly got a good reputation but I haven't really seen much out of him. He had a really good run at Metro St. apparently (D2 or D3?).

    Pacific and Portland both went w/ splashy hires of former NBA players but neither are trending upward in 3 years so far.

    I don't know, what can you do? Gonzaga owns the WCC. SMC is most likely gonna be #2 most years, and then you've got BYU. Everybody else is fighting among themselves to try to claw their way up in the standings.
    If they can recruit just a few SoCal kids each year who would otherwise play in the Pac 12 or MWC to join Pepperdine and get more minutes, Romar and Pepperdine will be in excellent shape going forward.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •