Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Kyle to Wazzu

Getting priced out of the Bay area like everyone else -- mass exodus the last couple yrs to Boise ID, Phoenix, Vegas, even Spokane.

A 1,000,000 in Pullman gets you a mini mansion, a 1,000,000 in San Fran gets you a 1 bedroom apartment & parking on the street. And that isn't a stretch.

Quote Originally Posted by raise the zag View Post
    Getting priced out of the Bay area like everyone else -- mass exodus the last couple yrs to Boise ID, Phoenix, Vegas, even Spokane.

A 1,000,000 in Pullman gets you a mini mansion, a 1,000,000 in San Fran gets you a 1 bedroom apartment & parking on the street. And that isn't a stretch.
    He just went from a city with a median house cost of $1,365,000 to $291,000.

Quote Originally Posted by raise the zag View Post

We moved from the Bay Area to SLC for that exact reason 15 years ago.

Quote Originally Posted by DixieZag View Post
    San Francisco is one of the most wonderful cities on Earth in which to live. I also like Pullman.

Please just stop.
    In you're opinion. There are opinions that differ from yours....and that's OK.

Quote Originally Posted by former1dog View Post
    We moved from the Bay Area to SLC for that exact reason 15 years ago.
    One of the reasons we left SoCal 12 years ago. There's now a 1500 member FB page called California Sucks and it's comprised of disgruntled Californians that can't wait to leave and housing costs is one of the major factors.

Quote Originally Posted by Zagceo View Post
    He just went from a city with a median house cost of $1,365,000 to $291,000.
    Exactly. They are just like anyone else, bang for the buck, value, makes a difference long term.

Salary increase, cost of living decrease. Simple economics.

I didn't blink an eye at San Fran's median house price, yet I'm actually kinda surprised Pullman's median is that high.

That said, Spokane area has seen a significant increase to home values/prices in recent yrs, ironically, mainly due to the demand from so many people moving to Spokane from Seattle lately.

Seattle not quite as high as Bay Area but it's up there as well.

Quote Originally Posted by jazzdelmar View Post
    It certainly is......and it won't be his last stop.
    Wazzu job is much better than USF.

Quote Originally Posted by Zagceo View Post
    walked in SF lately?
    My daughter walks to work in SF every day. Not sure what you think the big deal is. SF also has excellent public transportation, so my daughter doesn't even own a car.

Using the moving company's online estimate tool, KXAN compared the cost of renting a truck from San Francisco to Austin, given the strong tech sectors in both cities. The cost to get a 26-foot truck (enough to move a house full of stuff) to San Francisco from here is $1,150; the reverse trip costs close to four times as much, at $4,380. The cost from Los Angeles to Austin is almost five times as much.
    https://www.kxan.com/news/local/aust...rse/1489354272

Quote Originally Posted by zaguarxj View Post
    My daughter walks to work in SF every day. Not sure what you think the big deal is. SF also has excellent public transportation, so my daughter doesn't even own a car.
    San Francisco's streets are so filthy that at least one infectious disease expert has compared the city to some of the dirtiest slums in the world.

The NBC Bay Area Investigative Unit surveyed 153 blocks of the city in February, finding giant mounds of trash and food on the majority of streets. At least 100 discarded needles and more than 300 piles of human feces were also found in downtown San Francisco, according to the report.

https://www.npr.org/2018/08/01/63462...nd-human-feces

Quote Originally Posted by thespywhozaggedme View Post
    In you're opinion. There are opinions that differ from yours....and that's OK.
    It's perfectly okay to have different opinions.

I just try to stay away from posts that

A) Diss areas where people live, because there are good points and bad in all areas. It's not so much where you are as what you do with it.

B). Posts that include referencing "people's feces" and apps for such.

But, you can do what you'd like.

** There is a reason people are willing to pay millions for a home there, Spy. It is okay, no one is making you like it. Just please keep criticism of anything relevant and readable.
    Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.
    Mark Twain.

too bad cougs didn't hire Terry Porter.

A lot of pretty good coaches have wallowed there.
    Other than Ken Bone who else? Paul Graham?

[QUOTE=jazzdelmar;1450305 A brief sojourn at a P5 in the woods -- literally and figuratively --[/QUOTE]

Not much in the way of woods in or around Pullman, Jazz.

Wheat fields? That's a different story.
    This ain't rocket surgery!

Quote Originally Posted by thespywhozaggedme View Post
    Still? When your city has an ap to alert you where all of the human feces hotspots are, it may be time to do a little self reflecting.
    But still isn't Pullman.
    "And Morrison? He did what All-Americans do. He shot daggers in the daylight and stole a win." - Steve Kelley (Seattle Times)

"Gonzaga is a special place, with special people!" - Dan Dickau #21

Foo me once shame on you, Foo me twice shame on me.

2012 Foostrodamus - Foothsayer of Death

Quote Originally Posted by jazzdelmar View Post
    KS is not money driven. Trust me on that. He's aspirational. He's spent a decade at 2 high end academic programs in metro areas. A brief sojourn at a P5 in the woods -- literally and figuratively -- would set him up nicely for the next spot. If he gets the Cougs in the tourney in 3 years, I can see him moving to a high end academic P5 along the lines of Wake, G Tech, Vandy, even Our Lady.....dem type schools. His ace in the hole is his academic experience. I don't get what folks here don't get.

PS: Luckily, the idiots at USD passed over Kyle to hire Lamont. How'd that work out? Lamont is more likely to see the inside of a jail before he sees his next coaching box.
    I completely agree with this... Pullman is just to get his P5 creds... he is just moving laterally to get a leg up for the next big P5 slot that opens up.
    "And Morrison? He did what All-Americans do. He shot daggers in the daylight and stole a win." - Steve Kelley (Seattle Times)

Quote Originally Posted by LongIslandZagFan View Post
    But still isn't Pullman.
    That is true

A) Diss areas where people live, because there are good points and bad in all areas. It's not so much where you are as what you do with it.

** There is a reason people are willing to pay millions for a home there, Spy. It is okay, no one is making you like it. Just please keep criticism of anything relevant and readable.
    I specifically chose the link from NPR to appeal to the crowd here. The quotes are literally from the mayor and city supervisors. To say that SF doesn't have an issue with filth unlike any other city in the country is just disingenuous.

Dr. Lee Riley, an infectious disease expert at the University of California, Berkeley, told NBC Bay Area that dried feces can release dangerous viruses, such as rotavirus, which is the most common cause of diarrhea in infants and children worldwide. Getting pricked with discarded drug needles can also spread HIV, hepatitis C and hepatitis B, among other viruses, Riley said.
    "The contamination is ... much greater than communities in Brazil or Kenya or India," says Riley, who researched health conditions caused by extreme poverty in some of the world's poorest regions.

The speculation here is crazy. The guy just accepted the job. There's three options. He stays, he leaves, he gets fired. Everyone is saying that he's going to jump to a program with more pedigree at the earliest opportunity. This assumes the following:

That KS will win games, recruit good players, and have success at WSU.

Let's assume he does that. At that point, he'll have proven his worth at WSU, made money for the school, established his recruiting systems, set up his family in Pullman, and will have set himself up for a healthy raise at WSU, putting him in the upper echelon of coaching salaries. So it's now 2023 and this is where he stands.

Sure, if UCLA comes calling with an $8 million long term deal, he's probably gone. But that applies for most coaches regardless of the program and has no bearing on WSU. There's like 5-8 of those type of jobs out there, and he won't be the one who replaces Williams or Coach K.

But assume another, "better" program in say the Big 10 or Big 12 is struggling and needs a new coach, why is he likely to leave? He'd have to start all over again at a program with no guarantee of success. WSU will likely match the salary if he's that good. Bennett left, but the circumstances were different. WSU will buck up and they've proven that they can keep a great coach with Coach Leach.

Edit: I guess the only flaw with this, as noted by posters above, is that if KS is really one of those guys that values the academia prestige of his athletic institution, then yeah, he might desire to eventually move and start over at a more "prestigious" uni-vah-sity. That being said, if that was the case, why'd he accept WSU and not Cal?

Quote Originally Posted by CB4 View Post
    The speculation here is crazy. The guy just accepted the job. There's three options. He stays, he leaves, he gets fired. Everyone is saying that he's going to jump to a program with more pedigree at the earliest opportunity. This assumes the following:

That KS will win games, recruit good players, and have success at WSU.

Let's assume he does that. At that point, he'll have proven his worth at WSU, made money for the school, established his recruiting systems, set up his family in Pullman, and will have set himself up for a healthy raise at WSU, putting him in the upper echelon of coaching salaries. So it's now 2023 and this is where he stands.

Sure, if UCLA comes calling with an $8 million long term deal, he's probably gone. But that applies for most coaches regardless of the program and has no bearing on WSU. There's like 5-8 of those type of jobs out there, and he won't be the one who replaces Williams or Coach K.

But assume another, "better" program in say the Big 10 or Big 12 is struggling and needs a new coach, why is he likely to leave? He'd have to start all over again at a program with no guarantee of success. WSU will likely match the salary if he's that good. Bennett left, but the circumstances were different. WSU will buck up and they've proven that they can keep a great coach with Coach Leach.

Edit: I guess the only flaw with this, as noted by posters above, is that if KS is really one of those guys that values the academia prestige of his athletic institution, then yeah, he might desire to eventually move and start over at a more "prestigious" uni-vah-sity. That being said, if that was the case, why'd he accept WSU and not Cal?
    Because Cal isn't much better than WSU and is more of a mess right now.

1.4 million per year for six years

Quote Originally Posted by jbslicer View Post
    1.4 mil in San Fran is like making 100K in Pullman.

Thanks, Dix, for the rational, restrained response to OT inanity. You almost dissuaded me from pointing out spy's inability to distinguish "you're" from "your." But not quite.

Mods, I would suggest that spy's irrelevant and offensive posts in this thread venture into the territory of the defunct politics board, as it is VERY obviously driven by his hatred of all things progressive.

On topic, I agree this should be the closest thing to a home run hire WSU could muster, which imo is a guy that has a reasonable chance at modest success there. Key will be to get some Euro/Aussie types and find high IQ, second tier system guys in the US who can develop and play as a team, as the Bennetts did.

As to the WCC, it's always gonna be that way. A stepping stone for hot young coaches, or a rest home for retreads (Santa Clara, LMU currently). Few and Bennett are outliers.

Quote Originally Posted by jbslicer View Post
    And no state income tax. Discounted greens fees at Palouse Ridge.

Quote Originally Posted by maynard g krebs View Post
    As to the WCC, it's always gonna be that way. A stepping stone for hot young coaches, or a rest home for retreads (Santa Clara, LMU currently). Few and Bennett are outliers.
    How would you categorize the current Pepperdine coach?